Prologue

Sacrifice

"I want you to kill the president's son," Jin easily spoke.

"What?," Soyoung asked with widened eyes due to shock.

"I want you to kill Kim Jongin," he told her. "This was the reason why I sent you to work in the President's household."

"Why must I do it?," Soyoung asked. "What did he do to deserve it?"

"Soyoung, that person is the reason why Ara died," Jin told her as his blood boiled with anger.

Ara was Jin's daughter and his only family after his wife left him

One night, Soyoung woke up and found Ara bleeding and unconscious on the bathroom floor. Ara was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night but it was too late, she had died.

Days later, Jin found a letter that Ara had written when he was in her room. In the letter, it said that she couldn't live anymore because of the breakup with Jongin and that she was sorry for having to leave.

"Can't you do this for Ara?," Jin questioned her.

"I ... ," Soyoung tried to speak.

Ara was like a big sister to her but how could she kill Jongin?

"I- I'm sorry but I can't do it," Soyoung finally spoke aloud.

"Am I hearing right? What did you say?," he asked, full of rage.

"I'm sorry but I can't do it," Soyoung softly repeated as she stared at her hands.

This was the first time that Jin had got angry and raised his voice at her. Soyoung was scared because she disobeyed him. She had always behaved herself and followed instructions but this time, she couldn't.

"I'll give you one last chance to redeem yourself," Jin spoke as he yanked her arm, startling her.

"Tonight, someone has to die. It's either him or you," he threatened her.

Jin then got up from the bench and left Soyoung in the park all by herself. She tried to get up but fell back on the bench as she shook with fear. She knew what Jin was capable of doing without anyone knowing. Soyoung remembered the times when they had to move from house to house every time Jin came home covered in blood, but not his blood. She now had to make a decision, to kill or to be killed.

After a while, Soyoung finally got a hold of herself and went back to the President's house. The person in the shadows who saw and heard everything also left the park immediately after her.