07

Blackout

When they're finally able to leave, Kyungsoo is almost healed. Although his wounds are still scabbed over and it hurts somewhat to move, there's no more blood, which is the best thing that's happened yet. Everyone is packed and ready to head out in an hour and they all squish into the car, crowded, but comfortable.

"So now what? We have enough gas to get us just a few miles out of town," Sehun says from the driver's seat. He looks back at everyone, a glint of annoyance written all over his face.

"We try to see if there are any gas stations. If not then we'll just find a new car or two since our party is particularly large," Naeun says, sitting back in her seat. Soojung hasn't seen Naeun look so tired before.

"Um…right. Let's go, Sehunnie," Sulli chirps, her happy voice sending everyone back into comfort. Soojung leans her head against the window and stares out at the passing streets.

Chanyeol chatters on and on about how much he's going to miss sleeping comfortably, and not having to watch his back. Baekhyun joins in a few minutes later, which seems to startle everyone except Kyungsoo and Chorong, then they all break the ice and a constant murmur of voices arises. Naeun still looks dead tired beside Chanyeol and Jongin is quiet, as always. Sehun and Sulli don't seem to be giving anyone else any mind as they lock their fingers and give each other flirty glances and silent giggles.

Soojung loses herself in her thoughts, swimming with voices and faces that she doesn't even remember names of. But when the car suddenly comes to a halt and gives out, she looks out the window then up at Sehun. He's turned around in his seat, brows raised and lips turned up in a slightly amused smile. Sulli looks back too and says, "We're out of gas."

Jongin is the first to respond. He jumps out of the car and looks around. Soojung doesn't see anything but the stretch of grass, the tree line and the highway far beyond. Naeun groans and opens her eyes. She looks around, then sighs, and then finally slumps back into her seat. Chorong helps Kyungsoo out and they look around for something too.

"Well, I guess this is the part where we all get off our lazy butts and start walking to wherever it is we're going?" Sehun suggests, unbuckling his seatbelt and turning around fully. Soojung shifts out of the car and is hit with the striking heat. The sun is high in the sky and there are no clouds and no winds. Pure heat.

"There doesn't seem to be any cars around, Jongin. I think we should just go ahead and start walking," Chorong calls, clutching to Kyungsoo's arm as he too looks around with a solemn face.

 

They walk for what seems like forever only passing a few exits that don’t look inviting. Chanyeol hauls the biggest pack against his back and Naeun helps him by occasionally sprinkling the lukewarm water against his neck. Kyungsoo struggles to keep a straight face as he trudges at the end of their line with Chorong edging him on silently. Everyone is tired and hot. Soojung takes note of their long shadows against the pavement, and then freezes. She glances at everyone and spots the only watch around Baekhyun’s wrist.

“Stop!” she yells, looking around, up at the sky, and at the ground. The sun is casting low, pink shadows on everything. Even the trees to the side look orange and pink. She sees the ball of red at the horizon, almost one-fourth of a way sunken in already. She grabs Baekhyun’s wrist and curses.

“Guys, we’ve got approximately an hour until dark,” she announces, glancing in in every direction and her sight finally landing on Jongin. His eyebrows are furrowed and his fists are clenched. Everyone else seems on edge. No one had noticed the time because of the constant walking and the constant heat.

“We need to pick up the pace, walk faster or jog even. Kyungsoo, could you jog?” Chanyeol asks, frowning in the shorter boy’s direction. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath before nodding.

“We need to find the nearest exit. It shouldn’t take long, but I haven’t seen an exit in forever. We’ve only passed five in the last three or four hours,” Jongin states.

They start walking at a brisk pace, looking out for land markers and kilometer signs. There are no signs of life and after twenty minutes of walking, one lone sign appears at the side of the road reading: rest area 3 kilometers ahead.

“We need to pick up the pace, we can make it in time. Kyungsoo, prepare yourself!” Jongin shouts to all of them. And as they start trotting at a relatively gentle speed, the first howl of the night sounds somewhat far out. Soojung feels her shoulders tense and her feet moving faster. She hated physical exertion, but everyone always told her she should be on the track team.

She catches up to Jongin easily and starts jogging ahead of him, glancing back occasionally for assurance. Two more kilometers, and they’ll be at the rest area, except the sun seems to be in the last stages of setting and Soojung can hear the beasts, gearing up for the night, sniffling the air and catching their scents; waiting to attack.

“Not too far, guys!” she shouts back, but as soon as she glances back at the group, she feels the blood drain form her face.

The broad, dark silhouette of a beast looms just in the tree line, following them, step-by-step, too afraid to step out into the road just yet. She starts slowing and grabbing for the gun against her hip, but Jongin catches her arm and ushers her on.

“I know. I saw it too. Just run.”

And he pushes her forward. In the line of the distance, she can finally see the low building of the rest area. Smaller in size, but definitely useful. She catches Baekhyun in the corner of her eye on her left and Naeun on her right, and slowly, she picks up her pace, chest falling up and down quickly to support her speed and sweat, dripping from the ends of her hairs and down her neck. The darkness is almost there and she can practically feel the presence of the beasts.

When she finally reaches the steps up to the doors of the rest area, it’s almost completely dark. Automatic overhead lights of the rest area blare into the night and she watches as her friends, one by one, step foot at the front of the doors. Jongin is the last one, helping a wheezing Kyungsoo up the steps and gently down on the ground. The beasts have fallen back, afraid to step into the synthetic lights.

“Will they attack?” Baekhyun asks, breath still heavy from running.

“Yes, once they figure out that the lights won’t harm them,” Jongin responds. Then he moves quickly to the doors and opens them wide. “Everyone inside.”

Soojung helps Chorong haul Kyungsoo up. He’s sweating and there are visible red dots against his shirt. They file through the back of a restaurant stand and form a circle.

“What exactly do you have in mind, Jongin?” Chanyeol asks. Jongin slings off his weapon bag and s it.

“There were a few cars in the lot. We need to get to them and drive into a city,” he starts, handing guns to everyone. Soojung clutches at the rifle he’s just handed her and she feels at the handgun that’s also strapped to her belt.

“That means-“

“It means we’re going to have to expect a fight.”

They each receive cases of bullets and two guns. A few knives are handed out and a can of silver permanganate powder.

“What’s this black stuff?” Chorong asks.

“It’s silver permanganate. It’s highly flammable and will keep the beasts away. I found hundreds of these cases in my dad’s lab and even more of these candles. If you spray the powder along your path, it’ll make it harder for them to reach you. Remember, you have to light it.” Jongin explains.

“Locate two large cars before you head out, they’re probably still hesitant about the light and won’t step into it unless you guys do first. When they attack, don’t get freaked out and don’t be scared,” Jongin then turns to Sulli, “remember what you learned at the camp.”

“Chanyeol and Naeun have the most experience, you two take Chorong and Baekhyun. Soojung, Sehun and Sulli, you’ll have to stick together.”

“And what about you?” Naeun asks, holding her gun firmly.

“I’ll be here with Kyungsoo, Sehun, you’re in charge of getting to the car and then coming here for us,” Jongin looks everyone in the eye, meeting hers last. He doesn’t look away as he nods to them. “Good Luck.”

Soojung lets everyone file out before her then turns to Jongin. He’s shouldering an open bag, readying himself with a few cans of the black powder.

“You’ll be okay, right?” she asks. Jongin’s eyes grow softer and his hand comes up to squeeze her shoulder.

“I’ll be fine. Just remember to come back for us.” 

 


 

Hey guys! It's been a crazy few months, and I'm sorry again for neglecting this story! T.T
But seriously guys, I have a few more chapters already written so I'll try to update more frequently, expecially since its the summer. I should've thought of updating as soon as I finished my finals, but ugh I forgot. Sorry again, guys!
Also, thanks again for staying with me! I know its been hard and long, but I promise I'll finish this story! :))

And again, don't forget to comment to let me know you're still reading!!! PLEASE! 
And subscribe if you like it! Thanks!