II.

Angelic Shard

It was 8:05.

It was later than his usual schedule. His doctor was also surprised that he asked for a change for the first time. The nurses were also surprised. Even the janitors were also surprised. He was one hour late. And it was very risky, as out-patient clients usually go at eight.

He sighed as he entered the metal doors dramatically. There was an unusual encounter the day before, and part of him wished to repeat what happened. It was only just a glimpse, but it brought an alien feeling in his heart. It bothered him, but he wanted to explore the depths of the unknown. After all, he had always been in a life and death situation.

Hesitantly, he pushed the button to his stop. And the doors were just starting to close. He thought foolish of himself to think of the impossible. They both knew that they recognized each other. They had no reason to let themselves get caught again. And she flying back to Seoul at once is most likely. But he hoped. And for a moment, he was hopeless, until a familiar voice roared in the air, catching his attention, her sweet voice calling out in her poor Mandarin.

She is hyperventilating when she stepped in, but it didn’t stop her from turning to the owner of the hand who stopped the doors from closing completely. And the world stopped.

 

He had a hole in his heart. He was born with it. When he was six, his doctor said that the hole miraculously disappeared, and he may live like a normal kid. He started to grow the way he is supposed to grow, he started making friends, he started playing basketball, and he started living. And he was living happily. Despite the broken family he had.

He never knew his father. He never knew the reason why his mother is raising him alone. He always asked about it, but his mother will always drop the subject. When she grew full of it, he was never allowed to ask about his father’s identity again. He had always longed for a father, at least someone he could call a father, but his mother never remarried.

At such a young age, he knew of the world’s cruelty. His classmates of being an accident. He and his mother had moved anywhere and everywhere across the globe ever since. It didn’t stop until it didn’t matter to him anymore. When he was twelve, he figured out that the world does not revolve as to not having a complete family.

“Mom, I want to be an actor.” The young Yifan told his mother who gave him a confused look before smiling sweetly at him.

“Why would you want that?” His mother asked.

For the kid, his mother was a very beautiful woman. Sometimes he wondered what his father could ask for more. She was beautiful, kind, loving, and smart. But then he decided that it was his father’s loss for leaving a great woman like his mom.

“I am handsome. And we had this skit in class. My teacher said that I have potential.” He knew it. And he was just twelve. His mother thought that he would do well, too.

“You’re too young to put it that way, sweetheart. We will talk about it after you graduate from high school, okay?” She told him before kissing his son’s temple.

 

She gained familiarity of the taller hoobae. Her cheeks reddened immediately, realizing the proximity between them. He stepped aside as she was reaching for her stop, until she saw that it was already queued. He noticed this, and his stomach churned in an uncomfortable way. And he felt his chest in pain as his heart started beating fast as the girl looked up to him. And she smiled.

 

She recalled a memory she had with her best friend, talking about a rookie group from their company. They were at the height of their career. Everyone looked up to them. And it was just out of courtesy that the rookies paid them a visit that time.

Sunny was browsing the contents of the album as she sat on the floor against the wall. Taeyeon joined her shortly, meeting eyes with each other before they chuckled together. They started giggling at the corner as they watched the boys acting shy around again. It happens every time.

Her fingers were fumbling at the corner of the album as she turned the pages of the Chinese pages. She has been trying to learn the language for almost half of her life, but she never grew fluent with it. She felt Taeyeon’s gaze on her and lifted her eyes from the page.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Sunny smiled.

“Who do you think have a nice body among the boys?” Taeyeon asked, her cheeks suddenly burning up in shame.

“Yah! Red card for you, Kim Taeyeon! They are just kids!” Sunny hissed against the leader’s ear.

“Admit it; you have a liking on the Chinese fellow who greeted you earlier. I saw the way you blushed. What’s his name again? Lu Han?” Taeyeon said.

Sunny shook her head. In fact, she had her eyes on the cold and mature-looking one, the one with the handsome features and long fingers. He was perfect, but he isn’t perfect for her. She would require someone with a smaller stature, as opposed to his tall stand. She slyly smiled, observing where Taeyeon had her eyes. She whispered back, “You know, that Baekhyun kid have the hots for you,” garnering a quick pinch from her friend.

 

She quickly tore the eye contact and cleared as she stepped away from him. But she bumped on someone else, and she excused herself with a quick sorry. She had no choice but to stay beside him. She was still catching her breath, and she thought that she would not make it until the elevator doors opened on the fourth floor. And they both went out at the same time.

He turned left as she turned right. He looked back, and watched her walk towards the section of the hospital he had never visited before.

 

It was the Lung Department.