Chapter one

My One and Only

[Guigui POV]

                “You understand what you have to do?” asked Blackie, my boss.

                “Yes, I understand sir.”

He smiled at me, dropping me off at the small alleyway. He quickly drove off, leaving me there by myself. I heard footsteps, and immediately went into action. I pushed over the bin, making sure to cause a lot of noise. Almost immediately, I heard a gunshot. I fell down, holding onto my arm in pain. I remembered to force out some tears.

I heard a man run up to me.

                “Oh god! I’m so sorry! I didn’t know…” were the last words I heard before I fell unconscious.

~1 year later~

I smiled as I walked down the aisle, remembering the conversation I just had with Blackie.

~Flashback~

                “From now on, your real mission starts. Get all of the information you can about their weapons. And remember, even though you are now the wife of Aaron Yan, the son of the Yan mafia, you must remember that Aaron never touches that stuff. He isn’t like his father. Remember not to ask him about anything. Don’t make yourself look suspicious.” Blackie warned me.

I nodded obediently, getting ready to walk down the aisle.

~End of Flashback~

I made my way to the end, seeing Aaron dressed in his suit. I let out a smile, not a forced one, a natural one. He held his hand in mine. We both turned to the father as he started the wedding.

                “…and do you Miss Guigui Wu, take Aaron Yan as your lawfully wedded husband?”

                “I do.”

                “You may now kiss the bride.”

He pulled my veil over my head, smiling at me. He bent down, pressing his lips against mine. My life was like a fairy tale, without the happy ending.

--------

It had been 3 months since my wedding, and I was getting accustomed to my new name. ‘Guigui Yan’. It had a certain ring to it.

I walked down the hallway when someone covered my eyes.

                “Guess who it is!” said Aaron, trying to fake a manly voice.

I let out a giggle.

                “Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe the butler? Oh no wait! It must be Wei Yu!” I said, trying to stifle my laughter. I knew what was coming next.

                “Wei Yu?! Who’s that? Is he better looking than I am? Hmm, I have to find out who he is.” He said seriously.

I turned around to face him, starting to laugh. I pinched his nose.

                “You’re so cute!” I mused.

                “Say it again.” he demanded.

I shook my head firmly.

                “No.” I said.

A smile crept on his face as he came closer to me, backing me up against the wall. He pushed his forehead against mine.

                “Say it again.” he demanded again.

                “No,”

Before I could react, he pressed his lips against mine.  Chuckling to himself, he did it again.

                “Are you going to say it now?” he asked.

I giggled and replied with a no again.

                “Then you leave me with no choice!”

He picked me up bridal style, kissing me.

                “Hey! Not here, everyone’s watching.” I said, pointing at the maids who were giggling at us.

                “Then I guess we must take this somewhere else. To our castle my dear princess!” he said, making his way to our room.

I laughed at his childishness, but made no complaint.

It was exactly 11:30pm when I woke up. I quickly got out of bed, staring at Aaron’s face. He looked so cute when he was sleeping. Snapping myself out of my daze, I quickly made my way to his Dad’s room.

The door crept open quietly, not making a sound. I tippy toed into his room, going through the draws to find the file. I searched frantically for it. Eventually I got to the safe;I hacked it and opened it, revealing the file I needed. Finally, I had accomplished what I was here for.

I walked back to my room, hiding the file within my wardrobe. I was finally able to go home. However, the feeling I had was not what I had expected. Instead of happiness, I felt sad? I laid on my bed, turning around to face Aaron. I brushed his bangs out of his eyes. Why wasn’t I happy knowing that I didn’t have to live with him anymore?

---------

Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess. I received a phone call from Blackie, telling me to hurry up. he said that without that information that I had in my hands, we would never be able to defeat the Yan’s. I could’ve given it to him long ago, but I chose not to. Heaving a sigh, I sat on my bed, confused on what to do.

---------

I turned around, making sure no one was following behind me. I held the file tightly in my hands. Walking up to Xiao Yu, one of my colleagues, he let out a smile. He gave me a nod of recognition, before letting me enter. I took a deep breath, and walked inside.

                “Guigui, you’re back!” Blackie mused, pulling me into a hug.

                “I have the file.” I said, handing him the file.

He let out a wide smile, going through it.

                “Perfect, I knew you’d get it done. Though a bit slow, but we finally have it.”

I just stood there, emotionless.

                “We will plan our attack on them. We will inform you when we’ve decided.”

I merely nodded, walking out of the building.

I walked into my house, surprised by the suddenly tense atmosphere. I saw Aaron at the side, and I walked up to him.

                “What going o-”

He pressed his finger against my lips, telling me to be quiet. I turned to face his father who was walking up and down the row of maids and butlers.

                “Someone had been in my room, and has stolen a very important file. I want it back now! If I find out which one of you stole it, you will pay with your life.” he threatened everyone.

He dismissed everyone, giving them a deadline of tomorrow before he would kill them all.

I walked up to my room hand in hand with Aaron. As soon as we were out of sight, Aaron pushed me against the wall, staring intently into my eyes.

                “Guigui, where were you this afternoon?” he asked me.

I could feel myself freeze up. He had seen me.

                “I saw you walk into that building Guigui. Who was in there?” he demanded me to answer.

                “It’s not what you think!” I shouted, jumping to conclusions. “I didn’t take it!”

                “Take what?” he asked, scratching his head. “I was asking you, what is your relationship with that man that I saw smile at you outside of that building? And who was inside?” he asked.

I let out a sigh of relief. A smile crept on my face when I realised what was happening.

                “Someone’s jealous.” I sung.

                “Am not!” he argued.

I looked into his eyes, giving him an answer, “He was just an old friend. Nothing was going on. Don’t get weird thoughts in your mind.”

He nodded thoughtfully.

                “Good.”

I let out a giggle, pressing my forehead against his. I leaned closer, slowly closing my eyes, as I pressed my lips against his. He caught on quickly and kissed me back, carrying me onto the bed.

                “I only love you.” I said, between kisses.

                “I know.” He said, making me laugh.

If only moments like this lasted forever…

I woke up one morning to the sound of a gunshot. Shocked, I opened my eyes. Aaron stared at me in utter surprise, quickly getting out of bed. I ran out, looking out the window.

                “Blackie…” I whispered.

Anger flooded through me, as I stormed out of the room. I heard the screams and cries of the maids, as they tried to find a safe place to stay. The gunshots got louder and louder as I came closer to the door. i opened it and ran outside. I saw my father-in-law standing in front of his house in a protective position.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms restraining me from going further.

                “Are you crazy Guigui?! Do you want yourself killed?!” Aaron shouted.

I turned around and looked at him seriously. I had to tell him the truth.

                “Aaron, there’s something I have to tell you.”

He waited for me to continue.

                “I’m not who I say I am. I’m actual-”

                “Guigui! my dear Guigui. Come here my child.” I heard Blackie shout from across the field.

Aaron looked at me in utter shock.

                “Come on Guigui, come over here.” Demanded Blackie.

I slowly backed away from Aaron, walking towards Blackie, when Aaron held my arm.

                “Guigui? Where are you going? Do you know him?” he bombarded me with questions.

Before I could answer, I heard his father but in.

                “She is not who she says she is. Though, Guigui Wu is her name, she is not the daughter of a poor farmer. She is an orphan who was raised by Blackie. That man that is calling to her is the man that wants us all to die. She is our enemy, she must die.” Stated his father.

He looked at me confused.

                “Guigui, tell me that isn’t true. You’re just anordinary girl, who I accidentally shot during training. You’re not a spy.” He begged.

I held back my tears.  I was not allowed to cry. I let out a smirk, snickering.

                “Yes, I am who he says. I was a spy sent to this house to steal some important files that we needed to defeat you. You were just a tool I needed to achieve it.” I said, feeling my heart tear apart.

                “Guigui? please don’t joke with me. I know you love me.”

                “Love you? Oh please, I hated every second I spent with you. Living with you, was like living in hell. I never, not even for a single second, loved you.” I said, balling my hands into fists.

                “Aaron! Kill her! Kill her before she hurts any of us!” demanded his father.

He looked into my eyes, seemingly searching for something.

                “No, I will never hurt her. She is my wife, and will always be my wife. I believe that she’ll never hurt me.” He stated, glaring at his father. “If anyone wants to hurt her, they’d have to gothrough me first.”

I heard Blackie laugh hysterically, pointing at Aaron as if he was some idiot.

                “You sure are naïve, boy.” Said Blackie. “Guigui, since he thinks that you will never hurt him, prove him wrong. Reveal to him who you truly are.”

He held up a knife, throwing it over to where I was. It slid to my feet, hitting it lightly. I looked at it, then at Blackie.

                “Do it Guigui.” he said in a threatening voice.

I could feel my hands beginning to shake. I could feel the tears build up in my eyes. Slowly, I crouched down, picking up the knife. I held it tightly within my hands.

                “Guigui, I know you won’t do it…”said Aaron, sounding more like he was trying to convince himself.

Holding back my tears, I lifted the knife up. I looked into Aaron’s eyes, feeling my heart tear apart. Shutting my eyes tightly, I stabbed the knife into his chest. I heard him let out a pained gasp, as he fell to the ground.

                “Like I said, I’m not the Guigui you think I am. I never loved you, everything was just part of the mission I was sent to accomplish. You were just a tool that I needed to use in order to do so. Consider yourself lucky that I sparedyour life. From today onwards, we have no relationship with each other. You will play your role as Aaron Yan, and I will return to just being Guigui Wu. We can never be together; we were born to be sworn enemies.” I said, looking anywhere but him.

I started to walk off, trying to ignore the pain in my heart.

                “Guigui…” I heard him whisper in a weak voice.

I stopped in my tracks, but did not turn around.

                “I don’t care what you say, to me, you will always be the one and only Mrs Yan. To me, you’ll always be my one and only love.” he whispered.

I quickly walked off, afraid that my tears would fall. I walked past Blackie hastily, seeing him let out a satisfied smile.

As soon as I was out of sight, I fell to my knees, not able to control my tears. Though I had experienced all kinds of pain, this however, was a new experience. The pain I had felt before was nothing compared to what I was feeling now. It felt as though millions of daggers stabbed into my heart. The pain was unbearable.

I looked at the ring on my finger, holding it closer to my chest. I knew I was never supposed to have these feelings towards him. I was no more than a poor orphan, who was raised by Blackie. I owed my life to him. Feeling the hot tears run down my face, I came to a decision. Who was I to fall in love with Aaron? I was a mere peasant to him. I had no right to love him. I quickly took off my ring, aiming it towards the ocean. I held it up in the air, making my decision.

----------

Today was the day – the day that we launched our attack. Blackie had gone through the whole plan with me a few times, making sure I knew what I was doing.Taking a deep breath, I arrived at the Yan mansion, waiting for our attack.

As I waited, I couldn’t help but look up into the window of my old room. I smiled, recalling the memories I had with Aaron in that room. I was so foolish to even think that I’d ever be able to live a happy ever after with him.

                “Guigui, are you ready?” asked Blackie.

I nodded, getting out of my hiding spot. As soon as we came out, we heard men shuffling around us. Before we knew it, we were surrounded by Yan’s men. I heard my colleagues gasp in fear, upon seeing us surrounded.

                “Surrender now or prepare to face your death.” Threatened Mr Yan.

                “How did you know we were coming?” asked a concerned Blackie.

                “Oh, an anonymous letter was sent to us. But you don’t need to know that.” Said Mr Yan. “Surrender or die.”

                “Don’t be too sure of yourself.” Stated Blackie.

Almost immediately, we engaged in combat, guns firing everywhere. Though we killed many of their men, it seemed as though they would keep coming in large numbers. I looked around, trying to find Blackie, but he was nowhere to be seen.

                “Stop! Or else he dies.” I heard Blackie’s voice from behind.

I immediately turned around only to see Aaron in his hands, pointing a gun at him.

                “Let him go. This is our fight, no need to bring my son into this.” Said Mr Yan.

I could feel my heartbeat quicken, seeing him in Blackie’s hands.

                “Tell your men to back off.” Commanded Blackie.

With a click of his fingers, all of his men immediately backed off, all dropping their weapons. I let out a sigh of relief. Letting go of Aaron roughly, Blackie pushed him away. I saw Aaron walk towards his father, staring at me. I felt confused, Blackie would never just let him go like that. Allowing myself to stop staring at Aaron, I paid my full attention to Blackie. Just as I expected, he didn’t let it go that easily. He held up his gun, aiming it towards Aaron. Almost immediately, I ran out, pushing Aaron out of the way, hearing a gunshot. Feeling a pain in my chest, I fell to the floor in pain.

                “Guigui!” Aaron shouted, pulling me into his arms as I lay on the floor. “Why?”

I smiled at him, his cheek with my blood stained hand.He held it tightly, letting his tears fall.

                “Guigui, you can’t leave me.” he pleaded, his eyes full of tears.

I felt my tears building in my eyes, spilling over.

                “I grew up in a world with no love, everyday having to work hard just to have a compliment. I had nothing to work for in my life, until I met you. You showed me what it meant to love and be loved. You gave me a reason for me to live. I wanted to be with you forever, but I knew that that only happened in fairytales.” I paused, clutching my chest in pain. “I was always taught to never cry, to never show anyone any sign of weakness. But ever since the day I left you, I cried myself to sleep. I know that I should never show you any sign of weakness, but I can’t stop myself. To think that I have to live a life without you was the most painful experience in my life.”

                “Shh. Don’t talk.” He said, wiping away my tears.

                “no matter how much I try, whenever I close my eyes, pictures of you and our memories would always flash up. I never wanted to hurt you Aaron. I was the one who sent that letter to your father. I knew that I was betraying Blackie, but I didn’t want you to get hurt. You’re the only person that has ever touched my heart. But I know that you hate me now, hate me for lying to you all of this time.”

                “Guigui, I don’t care who you are. All I know is that you are Guigui Wu. I knew long ago that you were working for Blackie. That day, I saw you come back with my father’s files. I was going to expose you then and there, but I knew if I did so, you would have to leave me. I didn’t want you to leave then, and I’m not going to let you leave me now!” he shouted, holding me tighter.

                “If only that was up to us to decide. If I could decide, I’d wish that we were just an ordinary family, no violence, no money. As long as you are by my side, I’d be willing to accept anything.” I flinched in pain, feeling myself get weaker. “The day I left you, I ran to the ocean. I wanted to forget about you so I removed my ring, aiming it towards the ocean. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t let it go. I didn’t want to lose the most important thing in my life. The day we got married, was the happiest day of my life. though I knew it was just part of a plan, I imagined that it wasn’t. I felt nothing to fear, knowing that I was going to be with you forever. I had never kept any promise I had made to anyone before, but that day at our wedding, when we said our vows, I meant what I said. I do. I am truly willing to be a Mrs Yan.”

I took out the ring from my pocket, putting it onto his hand.

                “We can be together, all you have to do is not close your eyes. Stay awake, I’ll tell you stories like I used to. Make you laugh and smile. You can’t leave yet. Didn’t you say you wanted children? We’ll have lots. We’ll stay together forever, just like a happy family in those fairy tales”

My eyes were getting tired. They felt as though they were going to close.

                “Yes, a happy family. We’ll have the cutest boys in the whole city. I want a lot though, are you sure you’re up to it?”

He merely nodded, holding me close towards his chest.

                “We’ll have enough to make a basketball team. They’ll be as handsome as their father and as talented as their mother.”

                “No, I don’t want them to be like me. A murderer. I don’t want them to follow in my footsteps. If they grow up like me, no one will love them.” I said, feeling myself weaken.

                “I will love them. Everyone will love them. We’ll watch them grow and get married, having their own children. We’ll be old and wrinkly.” He joked.

                “I only wish that would happen…”

He took out the ring I gave him.

                “Since the last time we were marriedit was just part of a plan, this time it should be for real right?” he said.

I watched, tears flowing relentlessly, as he slowly slid the ring onto my finger.

                “Do you, Guigui Wu, take Aaron Yan as your lawfully wedded husband?” he asked.

Crying hysterically, I looked at the ring on my finger. “I do.” I said. “Then do you Aaron Yan, take Guigui Wu as your lawfully wedded wife?”

                “I do.”

Smiling as I heard his answer, my eyes started to close.

[Aaron POV]

                “I love you Aaron…” were her last words, before her eyes closed.

                “I love you too.” I said.

Lowering my head, I kissed her lips one last time. I looked at her beautiful face, seeing my tears fall on her face.

                “You will always be my one and only…”