Troubled Surprise

Troubled Surprise (Park Chanyeol One Shot)

You let out a huff of frustration as you sink into the chair, dropping your books rather roughly onto the desk. Then again, frustrated might not be the right word to describe your mood; you are beyond that, having made it all the way to furiously irritated. Glancing up at the white board at the front of the classroom, you see that the black ink block letters that are scrawled there spell out the word "DETENTION".

Rolling your eyes, you slump back farther into the chair, trying to figure out why your history teacher had assigned you detention; the comment hadn't been directed at her personally, just most people who earned history degrees. Tapping your foot, you begin to realize that you don't have anything to do to pass the time, especially since you can't use your phone to text your best friend Chanyeol because the teacher in charge of the detention is actually paying attention and has a reputation for taking up cell phones.

So you cross your arms as you glance around the room to take in the other students serving detention. Luckily, you chose a seat at the back of the classroom so you have a pretty clear view of every unsavory character that is either slumped over a desk asleep or looking around mischievously as if they wanted to get into more trouble while actually sitting in detention. In your mind, they may as well be suspended if they are going to have that sort of mindset at school.

Just as you begin to wonder if the minute hand on the clock could move any slower, the door to the classroom opens suddenly, and a familiar face peeks through the opening.

"Is this detention?" your best friend asks the teacher, who has turned to inspect the culprit who is interrupting his session of giving unwieldy students the death glare.

Of course, Chanyeol's tone is almost too bright considering what he is asking, and you mentally face-palm yourself, wondering if he has ever been in a bad mood.

"Yes," the teacher responds sternly, speculating Chanyeol's sunny attitude toward being in trouble. "If you're supposed to be serving, get in here and take a seat before I make you come back for an extra afternoon."

At that, Chanyeol slips inside, closing the door behind him without a word. As he passes the teacher's desk, he hands him a blue slip of paper: a detention write-up note. After that, he makes a beeline for the desk to your immediate right, throwing his bag down and leaning his head back against the wall before glancing sideways at you.

"What are you doing in here?!" you whisper to him urgently, trying your hardest to keep your voice down so the teacher wouldn't reprimand you.

He grins in response before leaning toward you slightly, and suddenly a subtle wave of his cologne drifts toward you and, as always, he smells of mint with just a hint of lemon. It's a scent that you've grown quite accustomed to, especially since you have had a budding crush on Chanyeol for as long as you can remember.

"I heard what happened to you in history, and I couldn't bear the thought of being alone this afternoon. So I told her the same thing," he adds with a cheeky grin, obviously proud of his accomplishment.

"You could have at least been original with it," I shoot back, smirking at him. "So your attentions were completely self-centered then? No thoughts of your friend's well-being in there anywhere?"

"Of course! I mean, I figured you would rather have a friend than have to sit in here with all these... lovely people," he replies, glancing around hesitantly. "You're sure none of them are going to jump up with a knife or a gun or something?"

You chuckle a little to yourself before saying, "I'm pretty sure these people are harmless. The ones with guns and knives go to prison, not detention, Channy."

His face lights up when you use the pet name you came up with for him, and there's a certain light there in his eyes that you can't remember seeing in them before. Nonetheless, butterflies seem to flutter around in your stomach in response.

"You know, I love when you call me Channy," he whispers, fiddling with the clear-lens Raybans that sit on the bridge of his nose. He looks flustered to you, like he can't figure out the exact words that he wants to say. This isn't normal for him, at least when he's around you; could something have changed in the way that he looks at you?

"I didn't know that," you mumble back, twisting your fingers together absentmindedly.

"Hey, [y/n]," Chanyeol says then, obviously trying to get your attention. But as you turn your head in order to see what he wants, he gently grabs your chin and plants a form kiss on your mouth. It isn't passionate or ual or anything over the top; it is merely the nervous first kiss of someone who has been hiding a crush for a long time, but it is more than you could have possibly dreamed of.

When he releases you and you lean away from a little, you know your face must be showing shock, because the words that immediately spill out of his mouth are, "What? Was that wrong? I shouldn't have done that, I--"

"Hush, Channy," you say, putting your hand over his mouth in order to shut him up. "I liked it. And I'll like it even more once we get out of detention and away from the gaze of the ever-watchful teacher over there."

You can feel his responsive grin spread wide against your palm.

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

Even more fluff! I promise this is the last one shot I had on my computer, so now I'll have to start writing more. Tell me what you think in the comments (please), and remember to check out my other writings! <3