Chapter 1: Handsome Stranger

Before I Get Married

 

 

Luhan took slow and hesitant steps as he made way towards his father's office. He didn't know why was being called into his father's office, especially during a session with his English tutor, but Luhan was terrified. Usually being called into his father's office meant he was either in big trouble or that his father had something serious to discuss with him. Either way, Luhan wasn't expecting the outcome of the meeting with his father to be positive; he was mentally prepared for the worst.

Once he reached the office at the end of the hallway, Luhan took a deep breath before bringing his fist up to the door and softly knocking, his father absolutely hated when people just barged it into his office. After he heard the words, "Come in," he turned the knob on the door and walked inside, making sure to quietly close the door behind him. He noticed his mother was also in there so whatever was about to be thrown at him was definitely going to be something serious.

His mother smiled kindly before patting the chair beside her, letting Luhan know that it was okay to sit down; he walked over to her side and took a seat  next to her. Luhan looked at his mother with curious eyes; she said nothing and only grabbed his hand before giving it a small squeeze, it was as if she were trying to tell Luhan that it would all be okay. He smiled back at his mother to let her know that no matter what, he trusted her.

"Luhan." When he heard his father's voice calling his name, Luhan immediately looked away from his mother and towards his father, "Yes?" His dad stood up from his office chair and turned his back towards his wife and son, he looked out the large window and then began to speak, "Luhan, I have arranged for you to marry the daughter of one of my business partners."

His father had just cut straight to the chase but Luhan wasn't surprised, his father was usually always very frank. Still, the news he had just delivered were shocking and upsetting. Luhan looked towards his mother for help but all she could do was sincerely whisper an apology and wipe away the tears that had unknowingly began to roll down her son's handsome face.

"It's for your own good Luhan, it's time you start thinking about this company's future." Luhan wanted to say something but being the good son he was, he simply stayed quiet. "These are important allies and our company will only grow if you marry their daughter, do you understand me?"

"Yes, I understand." Luhan looked down at his hands which were still being held by his mother's hand. "If it is for the company and if it will make you and mother happy, then, I guess I have no choice." He looked back up at his mother who also began to cry, she brought her hand up to his face and rested her hand on his cheek, "Thank you." Luhan nodded and smiled sadly, for his mother, he would do anything.

"Go pack your bags, we're going to Seoul tomorrow to meet your future fiancée and her family," his father said while still looking out the large window. "Yes, father." He stood up and gave his mother a quick hug to reassure her that he would be okay and after that he turned around and walked out of the office, making sure to close the door behind him.

Luhan made his way down to the other end of the hallway and towards his bedroom. He walked into the huge room and made sure to close and lock the door behind himself before sliding down to the ground and bringing his knees up to his chest and hugging them tightly. He let his head rest on top of them before beginning to cry.

Luhan had always been the perfect son, he was obedient, intelligent, kind and loved his parents. He was every parent's dream, as a baby he was quiet and calm, as a kid he was well-behaved and polite, as a teenager he respectful and smart, now as a man in his early twenties he was still the same and his goal remained the same, he just wanted to make his parents proud and happy. But in making his parents happy, he also gave up his own happiness.

When his father asked him to study business instead of music, he agreed. When his father asked him to take private lessons that could help him further his skills instead of wasting time with his friends, he agreed. Now that his father had asked him to marry a complete stranger, he had also agreed.

Luhan had never been in love, he had never been intimate with anyone, he had never kissed anyone, he hadn't even dated anyone but now he wished he would have. Before committing himself to a stranger and devoting his whole life to her, Luhan wished that he could just once feel what is was like to be in love because he knew that the chances that his future wife would be the one that was meant to be with him were slim to none.

Before going to sleep that night Luhan hoped and prayed that before his wedding day arrived, he would meet the real love of his life so that he could at least feel what it was like to be in love.  

 

****

 

The next day, Luhan and his parents arrived in Seoul and right away went to meet his future wife and her family. Luhan nervously looked around the restaurant, his heart was beating incredibly fast and he couldn't help but to worry. No matter what, Luhan knew he would marry the stranger who he would be introduced to in just a few minutes for his parents sake, but he still worried that he might not be able to love the girl. Luhan wanted to marry someone who he loved and he wanted to feel loved by his wife, but arranged marriages don't work like that.

Luhan was so deep in thought that he didn't even notice when another family arrived and sat in front of them until his mother gently shook him, he looked towards her and she smiled, "Be polite and introduce yourself Luhan." He looked back in front of him and saw a family of three, he bowed his head before apologizing, "I'm sorry. My name is Luhan, it's a pleasure to meet you."  He looked back up and saw a really pretty girl smiling at him, she bowed her head as well, "I'm Seohyun."

His fiancée's name was Seohyun and she was very beautiful, very polite and very kind but Luhan's heart didn't beat fast when he saw her, there were no butterflies in his stomach, there were no fireworks, no stars sparkling... there was absolutely nothing.

She was attractive and they had a lot in common but Luhan felt like she was more of a friend then a future life partner. Even if he didn't love her and probably never would, Luhan was thankful that she at least was kind and that it seemed like they would get along just fine which brought him a little comfort.

"When we get back home, you should meet my little brother, he's younger than you but I think that you two will get along." Luhan smiled and nodded, "Sure. I can't wait to meet him." Seohyun smiled back and continue to speak, "He's the most important person in my life and I know that we've just met but since we're going to be married soon it would just really mean a lot to me if you and him got along." He once again nodded, "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get along great." The smile on her face grew, "Thank you."

 

****

 

Seohyun's little brother didn't return home that evening so Luhan didn't get to meet him. By midnight everyone was fast asleep but not Luhan, he was still wide awake and millions of thoughts were going through his head, he wanted to clear his head. Even though it was late, he got up and changed out of his pajamas and slipped on a pair of shoes before slowly opening the door of the guest bedroom and tiptoeing out of the room, down the stairs and out of the house.

He wasn't familiar with Seoul at all but he wasn't thinking about going very far anyways. On the way to Seohyun's house, Luhan remembered seeing a small park nearby, he decided to go there for a few minutes to think.

It only took him a few minutes to arrive and once he did, he immediately walked to one of the swings and sat down. He looked up at the sky and sighed, he couldn't believe he was actually going to marry someone who he didn't love at all. Luhan tried to convince himself that maybe he would grow to love her but he knew that he was just lying to himself.

Luhan's mother had always told him that when you're in love, you'll know just by touching that person. There would be butterflies in your stomach going crazy, symphony like music going off in your head, fireworks and stars everywhere, Luhan just thought that when he met the love of his life, there would be an instant spark.

"The stars are beautiful tonight, right?" Luhan heard a voice behind him and turned around to see a handsome stranger standing a few feet away from him. He smiled kindly before nodding, "They are beautiful." The stranger slowly approached him and Luhan thought that maybe he should be scared but he wasn't, when the stranger took a seat on the swing next to him Luhan offered him a kind smile before looking back up at the stars.

"You're out all alone this late at night, aren't you scared?" Luhan was questioned by the stranger. He shook his head and looked back towards him, "I'm not scared. Are you?" The stranger shook his head and smiled, Luhan thought that his smile made him even more handsome than he already was and he didn't notice then but there were butterflies in his stomach.

The stranger held out out his hand and finally introduced himself, "I'm Sehun." Luhan looked at Sehun's hand and slowly shook it, "Luhan." The male beside him continued to hold his hand and he whispered Luhan's name before smiling even more brightly, "Luhan, that's a beautiful name." Luhan shyly smiled and just like the butterflies in his stomach had gone unnoticed so did the fireworks and shining stars in his head.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful person." Luhan realized him and Sehun were still holding hands and slowly let go before standing up, "I umm... have to go." Sehun stood up as well and grabbed the man's wrist before he could leave, "I know we're strangers to each other but can you come back here tomorrow so we can talk again?" Luhan looked at the man and smiled shyly before nodding, "Tomorrow by midnight... I'll be here." The boy who was still a stranger to him smiled happily, "See you tomorrow, Luhan."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry this chapter didn't contain much HunHan, I wanted to introduce Luhan in this chapter and just give the readers a overview of his life.

Thanks for reading, upvoting, commenting and subscribing!