1/1

Gamer(s)

As soon as I came home from school the first thing I did was run to my room and throw my backpack somewhere on the ground.

I walked over to my bed and grabbed my Xbox 360 controller and hit the symbol in the middle as I watched it roar to life.

The green lights began to flash as I quickly flipped my television on.

My 360 automatically signed me in to my online account and a smile spread across my face as I put on my headset and saw that my online friend had just logged in as well.

I flipped my headset on and plopped down on my bed and logged into the game that I had become very familiar with.

“Took you long enough. Where were you?” A thick Busan accent asked in my ear.

“I was at school. You’re one to talk. I saw you log in just now.” I quickly replied with a smirk even though I knew he couldn’t see it.

“Not my fault. My friends tried to get me to go out with them after school even after I told them I didn’t want to. They practically pinned me down and forced me to go with them. Somehow I managed to escape when they weren’t looking.” The Busan boy chuckled.

I laughed at him a little as I logged in to the last place I had been in the game.

“Okay so we need to disarm the bomb at the top of the tower. Daehyun you cover me while I go and disarm it.” I stated.

“What? Why do you get to disarm it Youngjae?” Daehyun questioned as he sounded like he was pouting.

“Because I’m the smart one and I know how to disarm the traps in this game. Just offer me cover fire while I go disarm it.” I grumbled as I moved my game avatar into the first level of the tower.

“Ughh. Fine.” Daehyun groaned as his avatar popped up beside me.

I moved my joystick and watched my television screen as my avatar began to run through a giant room towards a staircase.

I could hear yelling and gunshots being fired in the game as I tried to focus on my mission.

“I just took out the men on this floor. I’m heading your way now so don’t shoot.” Daehyun stated as I watched his avatar run in front of me.

“Yeah. I see you. The counter clock just popped up on my screen. So we have five minutes left to find the bomb and disarm it.” I said in a rush as my avatar ran up the stairs.

Two in game avatars were waiting for me at the top of the stairs but I just pulled out my knife and stabbed them both.

“Enemies are at the top of the stairs. Be careful Daehyun.” I warned as I ran past the blood stained floor.

“Noted. I’ll cover you again. We’ve got three minutes left. Leave the killing to me. Just focus on disarming that bomb.” Daehyun commanded as I watched his avatar run past me with a gun in hand and shooting at the enemies.

“Okay. Will do. Just be careful Daehyun.” I warned him as I made my avatar run up the numerous amount of stairs.

The shouting and gun fire continued to go off as my avatar ran up flight after flight up stairs and dodged enemies.

My avatar let out a sharp hiss as I noticed the screen had splatters of blood on it indicating my avatar had been shot.

I sighed as I made it to the top floor where eight enemies were waiting for me with their guns drawn.

“Daehyun where are you?! I need you! I’m overrun with enemies on the top floor. We only have forty-five seconds to disarm this bomb!” I shouted out.

“I’m on my way! I had to battle a man with a machete and a powerful shotgun. I’m wounded but I’m on my way. Just hold on.” Daehyun replied in a rush.

“I can’t hold on. We’re running out of time. I’m going in now.” I hastily replied.

“No Youngjae! Don’t! You’re no match for them. You need stronger weapons. If you do this our mission is failed!” Daehyun shouted out.

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take!” I shouted back as I drew my gun and aimed at the closest target.

One enemy down, seven left to go.

Shouting and gun firing went off again and I kept glancing towards the counter clock in the game.

Time was cut short as I somehow managed to take out a total of three enemies.

I let out a battlecry as I charged towards the next enemy who pulled out his shotgun and shot my avatar in the stomach.

I watched my screen flash red as my avatar fell to his knees and clutched at his stomach while breathing heavily.

“Daehyun! I’ve been hurt badly. I don’t think I’m gonna make it!” I yelled.

“No Youngjae! I’m about to be there in two seconds. Hang on Jae!” Daehyun said frantically.

I watched Daehyun’s avatar run next to me and crouch down to look at my wounds.

“Shoot! I’m out of healing supplies. Do you have any Jae?” Daehyun asked as his avatar ran over to take out some enemies.

“No. I’m out of healing supplies as well.” I mumbled.

We had fifteen seconds left on the clock and before I knew what happened I saw the words Game Over in big bold letters being splayed across my screen.

I watched the instant replay and sat there watching in frustration as an enemy came up to my avatar and shot him directly in the head.

I had been so focused on Daehyun’s avatar that I didn’t even notice what was happening to mine.

I could hear a low growl in my headset before I heard Daehyun speak, “what the hell just happened Youngjae? Why didn’t you stop him?”

“I’m sorry. I was too focused on you to pay attention to what was happening to me.” I responded.

“What? Why? I was perfectly fine and had everything under control.” Daehyun stated in an irritated tone.

“Because I always worry about you Daehyun. I don’t want to see you get hurt. I don’t want to lose you.” I replied in a saddened tone.

“Youngjae, it’s only a game. You’re the one who told me to cover you and that’s what I did. I don’t understand why you worry about me so much.” Daehyun said in a quiet voice.

“It’s because…never mind. I’m sorry I caused us to fail this mission.” I replied weakly.

“It’s okay. We can just try it again tomorrow. Like I said it’s only a game. We can try again tomorrow. I’ve got to go now. It’s time for dinner.” Daehyun said in a hurry as I watched his username flash on my screen indicating he had logged off.

“It’s because I like you.” I whispered even though I knew Daehyun couldn’t hear me now.

 

 

 

 

 

It had been a full two weeks since I had seen or heard from Daehyun online.

We had only known each other for six months now when we met online and we instantly became friends.

I’m not sure when I started developing feelings for him but it scared me sometimes.

I didn’t really know much about him except for his name and that he was only a couple of months older than me.

I also knew that he lived in Busan and he loved going to the beach.

I don’t even know what he looks like and he doesn’t know what I look like.

We never exchanged numbers or social media information.

I tried looking him up on facebook once but I had no such luck.

 

 

 

I plopped down on my bed from another long day at school and ped my backpack.

A piece of paper fell out of my backpack and I grabbed it and stared down at it with a huge smile on my face.

It was a slip of paper informing me that our class would be taking a trip to Busan over the weekend for a field trip.

Maybe this was the chance I needed to finally meet Daehyun in person.

 

 

 

 

 

I drug my luggage up to the hotel room where I was rooming with my one and only friend Himchan.

Himchan was already in the room throwing his suitcase on the bed closest to the door when I slowly walked in.

“I call dibs on this bed so you’ll just have to take the other.” Himchan stated as he ped his suitcase.

“Okay.” I mumbled as I threw my luggage on my bed.

“Well let’s hit the beach first after I put my sunscreen on. I don’t want to damage my perfect skin.” Himchan said as he grabbed a bottle of sunscreen from his suitcase.

My raven haired friend squirted a large amount of sunscreen into his palms before he began to rub it all over his entire body.

“Jae, can you get my back real quick? Make sure you cover it real good. You know I burn easily.” Himchan said as he tossed me the bottle and quickly threw off his shirt.

“I know.” I groaned as I squirted the cold white liquid into my hands and rubbed a very generous amount onto his warm back.

“Thanks.” Himchan mumbled before he threw his shirt back on.

I put sunscreen on my body as well except for my back.

There was no way I was taking my shirt off in public.

 

 

 

Himchan and I made it down to the beach and sat down in a shady spot on our beach towels.

The beach wasn’t too crowded but there was a group of guys around mine and Himchan’s age playing soccer in the sand.

“Wow! Look at that gorgeous guy. He sure can move.” Himchan pointed out as he nodded towards the guys playing soccer.

My eyes instantly landed on one guy in particular.

He looked to be about the same height as me with bronze colored skin as proof that he spent most of his time outdoors.

His shaggy hair was a rose color that swayed with each tiny movement he made.

His body was toned and firm as I watched his six pack tighten with each loud sound of laughter that he made.

The males dark eyes turned into crescents as he smiled at his friend with those excessively plump lips of his.

I watched in fascination as the male kicked the soccer ball around in the sand.

His muscles would flex with each step that he made making him look all the more beautiful.

“He’s beautiful.” I mumbled as I continued to stare at the male.

“Yeah. He is. He’s probably mister popular though and way out of your league.” Himchan replied as he pushed his dark sunglasses up the bridge of his nose.

“Thanks for being supportive.” I huffed.

“I’m just being honest. Guys like him don’t go for the nerdy type. They never date outside of their clique. I bet he’s probably dating some gorgeous girl who looks like she could be a model. Oh wait, I bet that’s her right now.” Himchan said as he nodded towards a girl making her way to the group of guys who had now stopped playing soccer.

The girl was no doubt beautiful with her long brown hair tied up in a messy bun, bronze colored skin, doe like eyes, pouty pink lips, Vegas strip legs, and flat stomach.

“Daehyun! Mom wants you to come home for dinner. We’re having some important guests come over tonight.” The girl said as she walked over to the rose haired male.

My eyes widened as I in a large amount of air, “did she just call him Daehyun?”

“Wait, isn’t that guy you game with named Daehyun? They couldn’t be the same person could they?” Himchan asked me as he glanced in my general direction.

“Okay Eunji. I’ll be home in a few minutes. Go on without me.” Daehyun replied.

“It’s him. I’d recognize that voice anywhere.” I said softly.

“Dang! Maybe I should take up playing video games then. What are you going to do?” Himchan questioned.

“I honestly don’t know. He might think I’m a creeper if I just walk up to him and tell him who I am.” I replied as I pouted a little.

“Heads up!” I heard someone shout but it was too late.

A soccer ball came colliding with my face before it fell to the ground beside me.

My hand flew to my now stinging cheek as I watched Daehyun run up to me with a worried look on his face.

“Oh my gosh! Are you okay? I’m so sorry. My friend was being an idiot and wasn’t paying attention. How bad is it?” Daehyun asked me in a rush.

I pulled my hand away as Daehyun gave me a slight frown.

“It’s really red and swollen but not as bad as it could be. My house is just over there. I can take you there and help you get rid of the swelling.” Daehyun stated as he grabbed my hand and helped me stand up.

My cheeks heated up as my face still stung when I felt his warm hand wrap around my own.

I saw Himchan smile and nod at me before he gave me a thumbs up to which I rolled my eyes at.

 

 

 

Daehyun lived in a pretty modest beach house. As soon as we entered the house I was greeted by the smell of chocolate chip cookies and pastel blue walls with solid white furniture.

“Come on the bathroom is this way.” Daehyun informed me as he led me down the hallway.

The bathroom was small and was decorated with seashell wallpaper it was basically a typical beach house.

Daehyun motioned for me to sit on top of the toilet as he grabbed a washcloth and ran it under cold water.

“Here put this on your cheek to help the swelling go down.” Daehyun said as he gently pressed the washcloth against my cheek.

We stared into each other’s eyes for what felt like an eternity as I placed my hand on top of his to press the washcloth closer against my cheek.

His cheeks turned a light pink before he cleared his throat awkwardly and pulled his hand away.

“So uhh….I’m going to my room to put some clothes on. You can come with me if you’d like. I’ll give you a quick tour of the house.” Daehyun said awkwardly as he stood up and walked towards the door.

I stood up and followed him while keeping the washcloth pressed against my cheek.

I didn’t really pay much attention to what Daehyun was telling me because I was too busy freaking out over the fact that I was in his home.

“And this is my room.” Daehyun said as he opened the white wooden door.

His bedroom walls were solid white and he had large windows covered by silky see through white curtains. His room had a sliding door that led right out to the beach.

The flooring was a light colored wood and a large blue rug sat in the middle of it.

He had a king sized bed that had no headboard and was propped up against the back wall. His sheets were a sandy color and his blanket was a solid white to match the walls.

In the corner of his room was a white loveseat with a television stand and a large flat screen television sitting on top of it.

I glanced underneath the stand and spotted a black 360 sitting below the television.

“I’m going to go change now. I’ll be right back. Just make yourself comfortable.” Daehyun mumbled as he walked over to a door that looked like it was for his closet.

I curiously walked over to the stand and crouched down in front of it.

A familiar game case caught my eye as I smiled while I ran my fingers over it gently.

“That game is my favorite.” I heard Daehyun say behind me as I turned around to look at him.

He was dressed in a plain v-neck white shirt; black skinny jeans, Converse, and he had a black beanie on his head.

Daehyun was probably the type who could pull off any outfit.

He smiled at me before it faded into a frown, “I haven’t played it in about two weeks now. There was someone I would always play with but I feel so guilty for not playing with him. I haven’t talked to him in two weeks because my friends keep dragging me out and all I want to do is play with him. I really like him. I’m sorry I shouldn’t be bothering you with my problems.”

I quickly shook my head hoping he understood.

I couldn’t believe that Daehyun felt the same way about me.

“I mean how do you tell someone you’ve never met before that you like them? I probably sound like the biggest nutcase right now, huh?” Daehyun chuckled before he let out a long sigh.

I shook my head at him as I removed my washcloth from my face and placed it on the television stand.

I bit my lower lip before I placed both of my hands on Daehyun’s face and looked into his eyes.

His eyes widened in surprise but he didn’t pull away from me.

“I like you too, Daehyun.” I said softly as I searched his eyes.

“Youngjae?” He asked in a shocked voice.

I just nodded to him as I gave a small smile.

“It’s you. You’re really here right now. I can’t believe it. I’m so sorry I haven’t been online in a while. I didn’t want to abandon you but wow! I can’t believe you’re really here.” Daehyun said in an excited voice.

I couldn’t help but chuckle at how adorable Daehyun was being at this moment.

“I always tried to picture what you looked like but nothing compares to seeing you in person. You’re really beautiful.” Daehyun said softly as he looked deeply into my eyes.

“Not at all. You’re like a freaking Greek God standing before me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone as strikingly beautiful as you. There is no comparison when it comes to you because no one can compare to your beauty.” I replied as I felt Daehyun gently my cheek.

“Can I kiss you now?” Daehyun whispered.

I slowly nodded as I closed my eyes.

I felt the gentle pressure of lips being pressed against mine and it sent a tingling sensation through my entire body.

Daehyun pulled away first as I slowly opened my eyes only to be met with him smiling at me.

“Say you’ll be my boyfriend Youngjae.” Daehyun said as his eyes twinkled with hopefulness.

“Definitely.” I nodded as I smiled at him.

“So this means that next time we play together I get to disarm the bomb, right?” Daehyun questioned as he smiled at me.

“Not a chance.” I smirked as I pulled the shocked Daehyun in for another kiss.


A/N: Just an idea I had while talking to someone. I'm a huge gamer so I decided to have a bit of fun with it. I hope you all enjoyed this one-shot. Thank you! ^_^