FINAL

Believing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

be·lieve

 [bih-leev]  

verb (used without object), be·lieved, be·liev·ing.

to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

 

 

“I can’t believe you ered me into doing this Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo mutters, “You know how much I  hate watching romance movies.”

 

Kyungsoo is what one could call a non-romantic. He ponders on why Byun Baekhyun, the definition of hopeless romantic, is his friend. It seems every week he rents a romantic comedy or a sappy romance movie. Today is a sappy romance movie, The Notebook.

 

“It’s because all you ever do is watch and read mysteries,” Baekhyun whines, sitting on the couch next to Kyungsoo. He hands Kyungsoo popcorn, which he declines. Baekhyun rolls his eyes, taking a sip of the milkshake he made.

 

Kyungsoo stares at the menu for the movie and rolls his eyes. It’s going to have a sad ending he thought to himself. It’s predictable. He also predicts that his friend is going to be a blubbering mess at the end of the movie.

 

Baekhyun hits the play button on the remote, clutching on to a pillow. With hopeful eyes, he is ready to watch the movie.

 

~oO:Oo~

 

The credits begin and there are sounds of stifling sobs. Kyungsoo looks over at his friend, only to see the ugliest cry in his whole life. Baekhyun breaks down crying, “T-That is the most beautiful love story I have ever seen.”

 

Baekhyun leans on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, bawling his eyes out. Kyungsoo thought the movie was over the top and too mushy, predictable of a sappy romance story. He felt pity for Baekhyun who let his emotions take over him. Empathy was never really a thing that Kyungsoo felt. It bugged him to some extent, because that could either mean he has no heart or he’s a sociopath. It could be both in the end.

 

But he has more to worry about, this idiot who can’t stop the tears. Kyungsoo sighs and pushes Baekhyun off of him. Baekhyun looks at him bewildered and dismayed.

 

“It wasn’t that sad of a movie,” Kyungsoo says, “I mean, it was expected that she would die. She had dementia. She just had a hard time, which was overly mushy, with her husband in the beginning. Sad, but not heartbreaking.”

 

Baekhyun frowns, slapping Kyungsoo’s arm, “You have no heart, Do Kyungsoo. Maybe it’s the fact that you’ve never fallen in love.”

 

Kyungsoo is about to rebut, but then he thought about his friend’s words. He hasn’t fallen in love. Crushes, for sure, but not actual love. It can’t be that complicated of a feeling, Kyungsoo thought. Baekhyun is just over reacting.

 

“I’m going to go home,” he says, coldly. Baekhyun just sighs, putting things up and sniffling, “Sorry I ruined your night.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay Soo,” Baekhyun says, “But just know I’m going to make you love romance movies. Just gotta find the right one that’s all.”

 

Kyungsoo nods, walking out the door. He looks at his phone seeing it’s almost midnight. Frustrated that he has to go home when it’s really dark, Kyungsoo makes his way to the train station. He plays his music on his way there, buys his ticket, and gets on the train.

 

The music soothes him as more people get on the train. He never really did like interacting with others, but he always pass the time by listening to music and reading books on his phone. Kyungsoo flips through pages, before he feels a nudge on his shoulder. He takes his earbuds out to look up to a handsome man, wearing a graphic tee, black jacket, and some grey jeans.

 

Curiosity fills him. Why would a man who looks about a couple of years younger than he was would want to talk to him?

 

“Is this seat taken?” he asks. Kyungsoo looks to see him point to the empty seat next to me. He didn’t even notice before he came. In his astonishment, Kyungsoo nods his head, “Ahhh, you have no idea how much a seat means to me right now.”

 

He clutches his back, making Kyungsoo frown, “Your back hurts?”

 

“Yeah, I dance and I’ve always had back pain. If I just sit down for a bit, it will go away,” he says, smiling. His smile is beautiful to be honest. Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’s ever seen a man with such a beautiful smile.

 

Stunned. Why was he thinking like this? Isn’t this usually what girls in chick flicks think? He ignores his thoughts and try to focus on reading his novel.

 

They guy sitting next to him is nosy and leans over to see what he was doing, “What are you reading?”

 

“A mystery novel,” Kyungsoo mumbles, putting one of his earbuds back in. The man nods his head in understanding.

“You like mystery novels?” he asks. Kyungsoo shyly glances at him. The man stares at him in dead seriousness. Kyungsoo pulls his earbud out and turns to him.

 

“I wouldn’t be reading one if I didn’t like it,” He says, “Why are you so curious in wanting to know?”

 

“You look like the typical guy to you know, like romance things. A hopeless romantic, reading romance novels.” That was the last thing Kyungsoo was.

 

“I don’t like romance novels.”

 

"Why don't you think romance novels are good?" he asks, looking into Kyungsoo's big eyes, "I think they provide hope for people who dream and people who are hopeless romantics."

"Well, you and I obviously don't believe the same thing," Kyungsoo snides, looking out the window of the train, “I’m anything but a hopeless romantic. I think it’s stupid to get one’s expectations really high for love.”

The man chuckles, “That’s kind of harsh. I’m guessing you’re not the kind of guy to buy a girl flowers, teddy bears, or chocolate.”

“Everybody gives those kinds of gifts,” Kyungsoo aggravatingly mutters, “Especially if it’s Valentine’s Day. If a person really loves another, they would do something untypical or against the status quo. Why does giving gifts only have to happen on Valentine’s Day? Why does it have to be flowers, teddy bears, or chocolates? Why not something more personal?”

The man nods, understanding more and more of Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo wonders why he was opening himself up to a stranger. Maybe it was due to the frustration with Baekhyun.

 

“You’re not typical are you?” the man asks. He puts his hand out, “Hi, Kim Jongin. I take dance, love my dogs, people say I have a habit of acting awkward, and if anything I think I’m a hopeless romantic. What does that make you think of me?”

 

Stunned again, Kyungsoo takes Jongin’s hand and shakes it. It was warm but rough to the touch, meaning Jongin was a hard working individual.

 

“I think it makes you another hopeless romantic in the sea of boring, typical people,” Kyungsoo says. His words make Jongin laugh, leaving him confused.

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Jongin says, “I just think you’re wrong. Boring and typical? I don’t think anyone wants to be that, and I don’t think I’m boring and typical.”

 

Kyungsoo shrugs his shoulders.

 

“You know it’s rude not to introduce yourself back to another,” Jongin says.

 

With a sigh, Kyungsoo opens his mouth, “My name is Do Kyungsoo.” Jongin motions him to keep talking about himself, “I think people label me as being a shy, quiet individual. I mostly just try to keep to myself.”

 

“But by talking to me, you’re breaking your label, making you atypical?” Jongin says. Kyungsoo becomes flustered as he tries to counter Jongin’s words, saying that wasn’t his intention. To which, Jongin just laughs some more, “It’s okay. I believe you. There’s something about you, Do Kyungsoo. Something different. I think it is fate that brings us together.”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at the romantic crap. Jongin pulls out his phone handing it to Kyungsoo, “I think we should keep in contact.” Kyungsoo glances at the device before typing in his name and number. He gives his phone to Jongin who does the same thing.

 

The woman announcing that the next exit was approaching, made Kyungsoo and Jongin part ways saying goodbye. There was one thing Kyungsoo couldn’t shake from his mind. Kim Jongin is not a typical man.

 

~oO:Oo~

 

Days pass by from his last encounter with Kim Jongin, but that didn’t mean he didn’t stop bugging him. It began by just simple texts that were like “Hi” or “How are you doing?” to which Kyungsoo tried to ignore. Jongin kept texting him, saying he was being typical by following the three day waiting period.

 

Kyungsoo is easily flustered at Jongin’s texts at first, but as the days progress it goes from awkward conversations to texting all day, not being able to stop. Kyungsoo became joyous and amused at their conversations. He starts wondering if he should see Jongin again.

The day starts off raining. Kyungsoo lays in bed, waiting for a perfectly reasonable time to get out of bed. Usually it’s 8 A.M, right now it is 7:30. He can only listen to the pitter patter of the rain, until his phone vibrates. Someone was calling him?

 

He checks the Caller ID to see it is Kim Jongin. He answers the call, “Hello?”

 

“Good morning Kyungsoo,” Jongin’s deep voice rings. Kyungsoo can almost imagine Jongin just getting out of bed or making breakfast for himself, “I was thinking maybe we should spend the day together. You know get to know each other more.”

 

Eager to what Jongin has in store, Kyungsoo replies with a simple, “Okay, where do you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter