Euphonious

Euphonious

 She remembered it like it was yesterday, the day he confessed…

It was Christmas Eve. The group of friends sat around the Christmas tree, talking and laughing with each other. It was ten minutes before Christmas. The eight of them were excited, yet nervous. Their minds were filled with anxious thoughts.

I wonder what he got me.

Will she like it?

I hope I’m not getting socks again this year!

Beast’s new album better be in that box or else I’m smacking someone.

Ten more minutes, oh my goodness, nine!

“Hey Hyemi, what’s your Christmas wish?” Ahri asked.

Hyemi felt everyone’s eyes on her. Should she tell them? No, it was too embarrassing. “My Christmas wish? Uh…”

“Don’t be shy, tell us!” Her friends nodded their heads in agreement, even Myungsoo, her friend she had a crush on.

“Why should I? Christmas is coming in eight minutes, it’s too late!” She argued.

“I know what it is!” Sungyeol, the childish of the eight of them smirked. Everyone’s attention was on him, their eyes sparkled with curiosity.“She wants to kiss— "

“Shut up!” Hyemi threw a cushion at Sungyeol. It hit his face, sending him backwards. Everyone laughed and high fived Hyemi.

“Yoo Hyemi!” Sungyeol lunged for her, but she quickly got up and ran outside to the balcony.

She shut the sliding glass door, and stuck her tongue out at Sungyeol. Sungyeol merely smirked, and a clicking sound was heard. Sungyeol laughed at her and danced around. Hyemi tried to open the door, but it was locked from the other side.

From outside, she could see her friends cracking up. She crossed her arms and walked towards the railing. She leaned over, and looked out into the city. It was quiet and dark in some parts. The sky was an abyss above her.

The door opened, and Hyemi let out a sigh. “Sungyeol, you better not do any—Myungsoo?” She gulped when she turned around.

“Yeah, it’s me. Sungyeol went to pick on someone else. Don’t worry, I’m harmless,” he chuckled.

“Right,” she cleared .

Myungsoo stood next to her and over looked the city as well. It was quiet, and the cold air was content. Hyemi looked at Myungsoo. He was handsome beyond words. He was pure perfection to her; his hair looked like a manga artist carefully drew each strand.

“Aren’t you cold?” She asked, seeing how he was only wearing his dark grey t-shirt and black cardigan.

“Aren’t you?” He retorted. She looked at her red sweater, but she didn’t answer. Of course she was cold. As a matter of fact, she was colder than before because he’s standing next to her.

“We should go inside, it’s warmer in there,” she turned to leave, but was pulled back into an embraced.

“I know another way of getting warmer,” he whispered next to her ear. Shivers were sent down her spine, and her ear was left with a cold, pleasant sting of his voice. “But first…I like you, Hyemi.”

He pulled away and looked at her. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

Hyemi hid her embarrass face in his chest, where a warm glow radiated and heated her cheeks. “Yes,” she whispered and clutched onto his cardigan. He lightly laughed, and her hair.  

From inside, they could hear everyone shouting and cheering.

 “It’s Christmas!”

“Who got me socks? Which one of you was it?” Sungyeol threw his socks on the ground.

“Merry Christmas, everyone!”

“Hey, where are Myungsoo and Hyemi?” Ahri asked.

Myungsoo hugged Hyemi tighter and patted the back of her head lightly, “Merry Christmas. I’m guessing your wish came true.”

Hyemi’s laughter tickled his chest.

---

The band played a soft tune; the melody fitted the dimly glowing lights in the restaurant. Hyemi sat in the corner by the window, watching the people walking by; holding hands, laughing, and snuggling. That used to been her with Myungsoo, who’s now her ex-boyfriend.

The breakup was unexpected. Hyemi wondered was it because of something she did. Something she’d said? Was she too embarrassing? She might’ve not been the smartest or nicest person, but she definitely wasn’t the dumbest or meanest.

“You’re the prettiest flower in the field,” he would say.

“You’re unique, you’re different. I love loads of things about you,” he would say while whispering into her ear.

His whispers, and the way he spoke every word was a pleasant sound to her ears. Very pleasant indeed, Hyemi laughed at her own foolish thought. It’s over, she reminded herself by saying the exact words he had said.

Hyemi stared at her hands resting on the table. Her knuckles were purple and green with bruises. The inside of her palms were carved with the outline of her nails, which were now chewed up and disgusting. She stared blankly outside; her faint reflection stared back at her. Her hair was a frizzy mess, her eyes were swollen, and a couple of bruises covered her cheek.

She’d hurt herself, and cried herself to sleep. It felt better than the torturous feeling of her chest being squeezed and twisted in outrageous angles; her mind thought violent things, anger, and questions.  Any pain was better than that pain, but it still hurts as well.

It’s been two weeks since she’d last saw him, when he left her with tears; with a shattered heart; and alone.  

---

“Woohyun, do you see that customer over there?”  Hoya, Woohyun’s co- worker, pointed a small finger at the table by the window.

“Yeah, why? Don’t point, it’s rude,” Woohyun swatted Hoya’s finger.

“She’s been here for an hour already. She ordered hot chocolate, and she didn’t even touch it,” Hoya whispered.

“Maybe it’s because your hot chocolate making skills doesn’t look as good as mine,” Woohyun laughed.

Hoya rolled his eyes, “Funny.”

“It’s seems like you’re too scared to go up to her, so I’ll go,” Hoya volunteered.

“Thanks.”

Casually, Woohyun walked towards the table with the strange customer. With a smile, he asked, “Miss, is there something wrong?” The girl blinked her eyes away from her trance, and shifted her eyes to look at Woohyun. He hid his inner feelings by continuing to smile.

The girl had bruises on her hands, and some on her cheek. If she didn’t look so sad, Woohyun imagined her to be quite pretty with her long, wavy hair – which was a frizzy mess; big, dark eyes; and soft cheeks. Her dark circles, and sadden expression made Woohyun felt a little sad.  

She continued staring at Woohyun, but didn’t say anything. Woohyun gave up, and pointed at the hot chocolate, “Would you like a new one?” She nodded, and looked out the window.

He took the cup, and once he was out of hearing range, he mumbled, “Weird.”

“So…?” Hoya asked him.

“She looked pretty sad. There are bruises on her here and there. I think she’s having a hard time. Let her spend some quiet time here or something. I’m going to get her new chocolate.”

After making new hot chocolate, Woohyun returned to the table. “Here miss, your new hot chocolate,” he placed it on the table in front of her. She looked at him, and he smiled awkwardly. “I’ve made this myself.”

She nodded, and took a sip. She stared blankly ahead of her with whipped cream on her lips. Woohyun was going to inform her, but she started giggling and crying at the same time. Woohyun stepped back a bit, but it was a rude action. He stood still and just watched her. She picked up a napkin and wiped her lips. She folded the napkin so that the dirty part was inside, and wiped her tears. She was chuckling to herself.

Woohyun titled his head. He was confused, very confused.

“Miss, is everything all right?” He asked.

The girl shook her head with a sad smile. She looked at him, tears streaming down her face. “Everything’s wrong. I didn’t do anything wrong, so why did he leave me? I’m so confused. We were so happy, and then…and then….” She put her head on the table and cried in her arms.

Shocked from the sudden outburst, Woohyun looked around him. Fortunately, the other customers and his co-workers were occupied, and their attention was focused on the band. He looked back at the girl, and his heart squeezed. She’s broken hearted, no, she’s completely broken. He didn’t know what to do. Woohyun never experienced heartbreaks before. He was at lost for words.

He began rubbing the girl’s back while saying comforting words such as its okay, he had his reasons, don’t cry, he’ll come back. The only response he got was more tears and hiccups. Woohyun cursed at himself. He grabbed a nearby chair, and sat next to the girl.

Woohyun couldn’t believe he was doing this as he held onto the girl’s hand and squeezed it. The girl shifted in her seat, and her head was buried in Woohyun’s chest. One hand being held by him and the other clutching onto to his waiter’s uniform.  He patted the back of her head lightly, and she cried even more.

Woohyun felt eyes on him, but he ignored it. If he’d just walked away when she started crying, he wouldn’t have to worry about anything and let her cry by herself. However, that would make him a heartless person, which he knows he’s not and will never be. Karma would grant him for helping this stranger.

---

Hoya nudged Woohyun at the counter, and pointed at the clock. It was almost 9 p.m., and the strange girl hadn’t left yet.

After hugging Woohyun, she didn’t say anything and just face the window. Quietly, Woohyun left her and continued with his work. He still gave her glances now and then. Every time he looked at her, she sat still, looking out the window blankly. If Woohyun didn’t work here, he would have thought she was a statue or a ghost.

“Dude, she’s been here for four hours,” Hoya furrowed his eyes.

Woohyun looked at Hoya helplessly. The bell from the kitchen rung, Hoya sighed, and went to pick up the dishes for the customers.   

Woohyun leaned back on the counter and watched her. His stare has no intention of moving away and she’s not planning on moving either. 

“Woohyun,” the manager walked up to him, “Sunggyu's throat is quite sore after today. I was wondering if you could take his place. You always wanted to sing.”

Woohyun pursed his lips, “I’ll do it.”

---

Hyemi faced the window with two eyes closed. Memories of her and Myungsoo invaded her mind every time she closed her eyes. At first she hated the pain it gave her, but she didn’t hesitate to close her eyes and let it all flow. It actually felt better than the pain without him. The memories of being with him were pleasant and warm.

When the waiter returned with her new hot chocolate, Hyemi tried to drink it, because she felt bad for the guy. She took a sip, and her lips were covered with whipped cream.

“Here, you have whipped cream on your lips, silly.” Myungsoo’s voice flowed into her ears like velvet, like he was actually there.

She stared ahead, and there he was. He leaned forward and kissed her, smearing the cream on his lips. He laughed, “I’ve always wanted to try that. You girls always have cream on your lips when you’re around guys.”

Hyemi giggled, and Myungsoo vanished from her sight. She started laughing and crying at the same time. She knew it was a stupid memory, yet she didn’t want it to end. She wiped her lips and eyes with a napkin. She chuckled at the memory, and began her outburst when the waiter spoke.

Crying in a stranger’s arms was relieving, like all the heavy weight on her chest was lifted, but not completely. The bad side was she cried in a stranger’s arm, better yet he was the waiter. How freaked out he must have been, and how embarrassing she must’ve have been. She wanted to run away as fast as possible, but she couldn’t. She was scared of running into the waiter on her way out, because he was standing near the door. She felt his eyes on her, which made her even more nervous. He was probably mad at her.

On the other side, she didn’t want to leave. The restaurant was comforting; with its lowly lit champagne light; soft acoustic music playing in the background; and the pretty view of the outside world. It was peaceful. Hyemi needed peace or else she would just turn into a monster, and do crazy things.

It took three years of effort for Hyemi and Myungsoo’s relationship to stay solid.

It only took two words for it all to end.

She was young back then, now she’s entering her second year of university, and all she could do was cry and think about him all the time. She wanted to rewind time, so that it’ll send her back to the times spent with Myungsoo to be able to forget the pain of not having him.

Hyemi it the tears her eyes were about to release and breathe calmly.

“Hello,” said a voice through the speakers. Hyemi turned towards the voice. It was the waiter. What was he doing on stage? Her question was answered when he said, “I’m Nam Woohyun. The singer for tonight couldn't make it due to a health issue, so I’ll be singing in his place. Although I’m a waiter, I hope you will listen to me. Thank you.” He bowed, and the customers applaud.

The drums, piano and guitar were preparing to play. The waiter, or Woohyun, tapped his fingers to the side of the microphone, waiting for the beat. Hyemi’s cheeks turned hot, he was looking straight at her. Hyemi looked away and fumbled with her sleeve.

With a gentle voice, Woohyun began to sing in a soft voice filled with emotion starting from the first word. She listened to the words that he was singing. Hyemi felt tears coming as she listened carefully.

Did time stop again?

Is it going to fall asleep like this again?

While staring blankly outside

I’m thinking about you with my two eyes closed

 

Even though time is passing by again 

I’m going back to that time again

Although I try hard to find everything in your memories

 

I’m crying by myself there but

As my tears stopped I’m laughing but

I’m waiting again

Until I can breathe again

 

Woohyun’s voice become more emotional as the beat picks up. His slivery voice filled the whole restaurant. Everyone stopped and listened to him. He was the wizard, and his voice casted a spell on the whole room. His soulful voice flowed through each and everyone’s ear, leaving an echo; and leaving them completely still and speechless.

Hyemi focused on each word, her feelings pouring out into tears. She wanted to wait, and wait. She kept telling herself that Myungsoo made a mistake and he would come back.

He was stupid and careless. Something was wrong and he didn’t tell her. That bastard wasn’t thinking clearly, he wasn’t. He was out of his mind. He never thinks anything through. He’s selfish. She hated him for that. She hated him, but she was willing to wait for him to come and apologize. That’s right; he’ll come back and beg for forgiveness…

I know well that I can’t say anything

Even so I’m searching for you but

I know well you won’t change your thoughts but

I still can’t forget you

 

Although I don’t have anything to say and I can’t hear you but

Even so if I can find you like this

I’ll wait for you now until time stops

 

If I can find you, I’ll wait for you now, until I can breathe again

 

The song ended with Woohyun’s high note. The light shining on him made him a star as the whole room applauded for him. Woohyun smiled and bowed. He left the stage and the band began playing their usual soft tune.

When the song ended, Hyemi felt relieved, more relieved than before. Her thoughts were sorted out clearly throughout the song. Before her thoughts were a jumbo mess that made her insane, but now, everything was clearer. She felt a lot lighter. The pain was subsiding away as she listened to the song sung by Woohyun and the soft tune the band was playing.

Hyemi realized how pathetic she seemed crying non-stop and thinking about him the whole time. It’s been two weeks, she should move on. A part of her was scared of losing him, and a hidden part of her knew better than to sulk around. Everything became clearer to her. Myungsoo had his reason for leaving, and he needed time. She could hope and wait, but she shouldn’t hope and wait so much. She had more important things to think about such as keeping her scholarship in check, finding a new job and so much more.

The song’s euphonious tune and lyrics brought her back to reality.

Hyemi knew what she needed to do now. She needed to shed away the love sick layer that she’s covered in, and become something much stronger and more independent.  

It was near closing time. Hyemi watched as a couple left the restaurant and smiled sadly to herself, brushing away all thoughts of Myungsoo.

“Hey,” Woohyun walked up to her.                                                                                                   

“I—,” They said in unison and laughed.

“You first,” Woohyun said.

Hyemi stood up and dusted her jeans. She looked at Woohyun – who was a head taller than her – and sighed. “I don’t have much to say, but here it goes. I’m sorry for causing you trouble. I was out of my mind, but a lot of things became clearer now. “

“I’m glad that it did. You kind of scared me,” Woohyun sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. “What I was going to say was I felt pretty worried, so I hope you're okay. If anything please take care of yourself more,” he glanced at her fingers and his eyes landed on her cheeks.

Hyemi smiled, her eyes sparkled because of tiny tears. “Thank you, Woohyun,” she gave him a hug and disappeared.

Woohyun felt the ghost of her arms around his torso as he watch the strange girl leave. He grinned to himself.

“Whoa,” Hoya popped up beside him and whistled. “That was unexpected. What’s the weird, pretty lady’s name?”

Woohyun frowned and mentally slapped himself. He ignored Hoya and cleaned the table. There was an exact amount of money for two hot chocolates, and a note. Written on the note was “Let’s meet again someday, and discuss today and maybe more,” a phone number and a name: Yoo Hyemi.

---

Music is the one friend you can always listen to. They're always there when you need them. I hope you enjoyed this oneshot!

Criticism, comments, feedback, etc are welcomed. :)