Prologue (II)

TIME (시간)

Prologue (II)

            Rae Won saw a movement from the corner of his eye. He turned his head slightly and saw a masked man, all in black, walking down the road. Rae Won looked over at the rest of the group who were unsuspecting of any danger; he motioned to Daniel and the two men walked inside the mansion and into Daniel's study.

"What? What is it Rae Won? You don't look like your usual self... Are you sick?"

            Rae Won shook his head and seated himself on one of the sofas and turned to Daniel, "I'm not sick. I'm worried. You know how I'm the successor to Han Sung Group, well, lately, there's been rumors going on that Deputy Kim Soo Hyun is 'worried' about me being the next CEO and chairman. He's saying that I'm unfit because I don't have enough experience, which is total bull****; I've been working at that company since I got my Masters which was six years ago. I have plenty of experience. After that rumor started going around, I've been receiving blackmail and threatening letters saying that they'll take away the most important thing in my life! The most important thing is my family! If something horrible happens to them, I'll never forgive myself. I just saw some masked man loitering outside at the road. What the hell am I going to do? Help me Daniel!"

            Alarmed, Daniel just stared at his friend. Was this man really his invincible, over-confident best friend? He was shocked; shocked by his best friend's reaction and the situation.

"Why didn't you f***ing tell me, you idiot? God, you're so retarded! If you were getting those letters you should have told me! Well, I did suspect that something was wrong, but I just figured it was because Soo Ae was near her due date. But this doesn't make any sense! Your father is probably not going to retire until after 20 or 30 years! What are those idiots thinking? What about the stalker? Is he still here? Good... We won't have to worry then. I'm going to call personnel to increase the security along the perimeter...Uh, by the way, Rae Won? I... Well, I have something to confess to you..."

"Confess? What is this? I'm not a priest! Don't confess, just give me a solution damn it!"

"Erm, well hold on, okay? I actually had someone follow you around and stuff... I couldn't help it, okay? Before you let that temper of yours explode, let me explain. You've been avoiding me for three months and I told Hye Sun and she suspected that well, you were having an affair so I just you know, had someone follow you to be sure that you weren't... I'm sorry! Don't kill me!" cringing, Daniel snuck a peak at his best friend who fell silent. Suddenly, Rae Won started laughing and punched Daniel's arm.

"Even in situations like this, you never cease to amaze me. How can you come up with such a ridiculous idea? You're the idiot, haha. But, all joking aside, how am I going to solve this? Do I have to get rid of Deputy Kim?"

"Well, have you talked to Soo Ae about this? Okay, from the look of your face, you haven't. Tell you what, just tell her the truth or part of it anyway. We'll devise a plan together and do something about this. Did you talk to your father about this? Good, we'll have to meet with him tomorrow and come up with a plan. My brother Ji Min can also help. He came back from Holland not too long ago. We'll get through this together. Don't worry Rae Won! We're family now, family sticks together!"

"I don't think I'll be able to tell her. Sh**"

            Daniel placed a hand on his best friend and gave an encouraging smile before turning around, heading towards the door. "Shall we?"

            The two men returned to the children and women. Jin Hyuk was still staring at Yoon sleeping and the wives were talking about the new line of clothing from Zishen. Daniel signaled them to get inside the house and went over to Jin Hyuk and picked him up amidst the child's protests. Once they all settled in the living room and had the children taken to the play room, Rae Won and Daniel informed the other two the situation that they were in. After they finished explaining, there was a deathly silence. It was Soo Ae who first broke it.

"So what are we going to do? We should talk about this a bit more and have some kind of plan before you guys meet father-in-law"

"Well. I told Rae Won what I think we should do..." They spent the entire afternoon discussing their plan and just before dinner was served, they came up with a solid plan to present to Rae Won's father the next morning.

            Soo Ae went up to the play room and gazed at the sleeping children. Her eyes filled up with tears as she thought about the decision and deduction that they made. They had discussed the endless possibilities of the worst-case scenario; at one point, Daniel's brother, Choi Ji Min came over to discuss the situation with them. They deduced that the stalker would either stalk them and report to the person who hired him or he was a killer that was hired by someone in the company. The latter frightened her. She couldn't imagine her baby killed. The solution was a heart breaking one.

            Soo Ae prayed that nothing tragic would happen to any of them. She couldn't bear the thought of any of them in harm. Rae Won silently had come up. He wrapped his arms around his wife and he too, stared at the children. He whispered to Soo Ae that his father would arrive shortly to discuss this situation. She turned and gave a questioning look. He explained that he thought it was for the best that they talk to his father sooner than later. Nodding, Soo Ae followed him silently out the door.