Coin, Fountain, and Park

Coin, Fountain, and Park

“Mom, can I go to the park and play?” A young boy asked her mother, showing her his puppy eyes. They were on their way home from the mall when Kyu Jong suddenly wants to play.

His mother smiled at him then looked at his father, “If your father agrees.”

He then turned to his father who was also smiling at him, “Sure, son.”

The young boy raised his hand in the air with a shout of hooray while bouncing on the taxi’s back seat, “Thank you!” He then gave his parents each a kiss on their cheeks.

They arrived at the park but as usual, there was no one there. The boy’s mother, knowing that her son wanted to play with kids around his age called him. She reached something in her pocket, bent to her son’s level and gave it to him.

“Kyu Jong-ah, here. Take this and make a wish to that fountain. If you drop this in the water, it will make your wish come true,” his mom lovingly gave him a coin and pointed on the fountain which has a statue of a woman holding a jar and the water coming out of the jar.

He nodded and gladly accepted the coin then dashed to the fountain and stated his wish while he closed his eyes and clasped his hands together with the coin inside, “I wish I will have friends that will be with me forever,” he threw the coin in the water happily and watched the coin until it reached the bottom.

In just few seconds, he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around.

“Hi, I’m Jung Min.”

 


 

Jung Min happily entered the store with the money he got from his older sister to buy whatever he wants in the store, which was ice cream. He took some ice cream and put them in the basket he got on the entrance and went to the cashier.

“How much are these?” He asked the cashier as she finished checking the prices of the ice cream he bought. He gave her the money while smiling, “Here,” He turned around to go out of the supermarket when the cashier called him.

“Wait, take this. You said last time that this flavour is your favorite,” the cashier gave him a small cake with a spoon.

“Woah! Thank you, noona!”

“No problem. Be careful on your way back.”

“Yes, noona!”

He was on his way back home from buying ice cream when he saw a boy standing in front of the fountain in the park. He hopped excitedly to the boy thinking that he can share his ice cream he bought since he had a lot of them.

He tapped the boy on his shoulder. The boy turned around and Jung Min introduced himself, smiling cheekily. “Hi, I’m Jung Min.”

“Uh… K-Kyu Jong.” The boy smiled shyly while scratching the back of his head.

“Hey, no need to be shy.” Jung Min looked at the fountain, then back to Kyu Jong. “What were you doing?”

“My mom said if I make a wish and drop the coin here, it will make my wish come true.”

“That’s true! I’ve tried it before and it came true.”

“Really? What did you wish for?”

“Money to buy these ice cream!” Jung Min says with a huge grin in his face and raising the bag of ice cream for Kyu Jong to see making the person infront of him laugh.

“If you want, we can share. I have a lot. We can also play.”

Kyu Jong thought about it for a few seconds before running to his parents. “Wait.”

Jung Min blinked a few times at Kyu Jong’s sudden action. He saw Kyu Jong’s parents leaving and waving his hands at them.

Kyu Jong ran back to him, his face having hint of excitement. “Okay we can play.”

“Uhm, can I join you?”

 


 

Young Saeng was watching television in his family’s unit all alone since his parents were out on work. His parents barely had time to spend with him and when they do, they just tell him that they needed some time to sleep and rest.

He looked around and his eyes landed on the telephone. He  hurriedly reached for it and raised the handset, dialling his cousin’s number. After a few rings, his cousin finally answered the phone.

“Hyung, can you come here now? I have nothing to do. Please?” Young Saeng pleaded making cute expressions even though he knew that no one can see him.

There was a short laugh on the other line before his cousin answered, “I’m sorry Young Saeng-ah. I’m doing a project with my classmates today. I’ll just visit some other time, okay?”

Young Saeng’s smiling face turned to a frown hearing his cousin’s reply. He let out a loud sigh, “Okay. But you made a promise!”

“Yeah, yeah, I promise. Bye.”

“Bye,” with that, he put down the handset back to its container and moved to slouch on the couch.

He again looked around but couldn’t find anything to play or DVDs to watch anymore so he decided to look out the window. With the view he saw, he smiled and excitedly went down to the park.

When he reached the park, he went to the kids who were talking to each other.

“Okay we can play,” when he heard what the other kid said, he decided to ask if he can join them.

“Uhm, can I join you?” Young Saeng asked them with his cute smile. “My name is Young Saeng.”

“I’m Jung Min and this is Kyu Jong,” Jung Min happily introduced himself and Kyu Jong, without waiting for the other to introduce himself. “And ofcourse! New friend! Yipiee!”  Jung Min happily jumped with a happy, huge grin on his face.

“What are we going to play?”

“How about tag?” Kyu Jong suggested.

“Okay! Young Saeng, you’re it!”

“What? Okay then!”

They happily ran around the park making loud noises of laughter in the air. When suddenly, Kyu Jong remembered something then stopped running while panting.

“Wait! Jung Min-ah. Your ice cream…”

“Oh yeah. Let’s go eat them now.”

“Woah. You really going to share it to us?” Young Saeng chirped suddenly making Jung Min jump.

“Yah! If you’re going to do that again, I will not give you,” there was a pause before he continued. “And you’ll not be my friend anymore.”

“I was just joking. Friends?”

“Friends!”  Both Jung Min and Kyu Jong shouted.

They went on the side of the park and sat on a bench and enjoyed eating their ice cream.

 


 

“Hyun Joong-ah, go rest now. Your temperature might go up again,” Hyun Joong’s mom told him calmly.

“Okay mom,” He replied sadly. He really want to go out and play so badly. He was getting bored on staying in his room for almost a week. He also wanted to know about something and he was thinking that the curiosity he have is the reason why he was sick, because he overthink about it too much.

Before he entered his room, he turned back to his mom, “Mom, can I go out? I’m really bored.”

Looking at him with pity, she finally agreed to let her son go out. Maybe he needs fresh air too, she thought. She lowered down and patted Hyun Joong’s head softly, “Okay, but you’ll have to go with your brother.”

“Yey! Thanks mom!” He jumped and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek making his mom giggle.

Hyun Joong and his brother are walking towards the park which made Hyun Joong feel excited.

“Hyung, can you buy me water? I’m thirsty.”

“Why didn’t you drink at home?” His brother asked a little annoyed. He was only forced by his mother to go with his sick brother since she still have to cook for their dinner. “Fine, fine.”

“You go alone. I’ll stay there,” he pointed to the park and before his brother protest, he dashed to the park. He stopped and looked back, “And take your time!”

He then went straight to the fountain and climb on the step. He looked up to the statue in the middle of the fountain.

“Ahjumma, it’s been a long time you’re here, why are not moving?” He blinked a few times before he went down and look at the coins. He tried to reach for them but gave up when he realized that he can’t reach them.

He looked up and continued asking questions, “Ahjumma, do you really grant wishes? Or did the aliens send you here? Ahjumma!”

“Ahjumma, how do you do it? Can you teach me if it’s true?” And so on, and so on.

 Without knowing that he’s being watch at, he stood on the step and continued on asking questions to the statue but only answered with silence, again. He then felt a tug on the hem of his shirt.

 


 

Hyung Jun was having fun playing with his brother and older cousin in their new dorm’s living room. Their new dorm was bigger than their previous dorm and the room has more space so they can play and run around more freely.

After minutes of playing, Hyung Jun’s brother felt sleepy so their mother let him sleep in his brother’s new bedroom while his cousin sat on the couch and watched whatever channel she could watch. Hyung Jun decided to look around their new house alone since his energy is still high.

“Mom!” He shouted, going to the living room.

“Yes?”

“Can we go look around the place? I saw a playground a while ago. Noona can go with me,” his cousin looked at him with surprise but decided to come with him.

“Hm. Okay then. But make sure to come home early and safe.”

“Yes, mom.”

“Yes, auntie.”

They reached the playground/park in just a few minutes.

“Woah, Hyung Jun-ah, look at the flowers! So beautiful! Let’s go look at them,” his cousin exclaimed while pointing at the colorful flowers.

“Noona, I will go there,” he pointed to a fountain with a boy around his age trying to get something from the water.

His cousin nodded at him and watched him walk to the fountain before hopping and humming to herself going to the flowers.

Hyung Jun stared at the boy with a confusing look when the boy stood on the step and started questioning the statue. He moved forward and tugged the boy’s shirt. The boy turned around and gave Hyung Jun a questioning look, “Why?”

“What are you doing?”

The boy turned back to the statue and pointed at it, “You see that? I heard she grants wishes but I don’t know how. I want to feel it before I believe them and want to know if she’s really the one who do it.”

Hyung Jun blinked at him a few times when they heard someone calling for them.

“Hey! Come! You want ice cream?” a boy from afar shouted while waving his right hand at them.

Hyung Jun looked at the boy next to him when the boy nodded at him, “Come on, it’s free,” then gave Hyung Jun a grin before walking towards the another unknown boy.

“Hi, I’m Jung Min. This is K-Ky…” he pointed to the said boy at his left and was about to introduce him when he forgot his name, “Just tell them your name. I forgot.”

The boy smiled at him before stating his name, “Hello. I’m Kyu Jong.”

“Hi, and I’m Young Saeng,” the other boy on Jung Min’s right said.

“Hello, I’m Hyung Jun.”

“Woah, we almost have the same name. I’m Hyun Joong,”

“Here, have some ice cream but they’re melted. Oh, and I also have carrot cake. Let’s all share.” Jung Min offered.

“Thanks!” The two said.

After they finished their ice cream, they decided to play. Hyung Jun’s cousin saw them and just sat on a bench across them. He forgot about me? She thought but decided to just sit there.

When they got tired, they took a seat beside the fountain.

“Hyun Joong, why were you talking to the fountain a while ago?” Young Saeng asked

“Me? I heard that ahjumma grant wishes but I don’t believe them unless I experience it. I don’t know why she doesn’t reply and move,” Hyun Joong’s eyes were getting wide as he was explaining. The others laughed at him for his reason and expression.

“Well, it’s true. I made a wish and it came true,” Kyu Jong said after.

“Really? What did you wish?” The other four’s faces suddenly brightened at the words Kyu Jong just said thus, making them curious and asked.

“I won’t tell you. It might not last if I tell you,” the boys’ smiling faces then turned to a frown, disappointed because Kyu Jong doesn't want to tell them what he wished.

“Didn’t you just ask for a wish a while ago?” Jung Min asked.

“Yeah, my wish came true really fast!” Kyu Jong replied.

“Hm. I also made a wish. It is to have money to buy the ice cream we ate! Especially my favorite, carrot ice cream but the cake is just free.” Jung Min grinned and bragged.

“Really? I’m going to try it next time. I will wish for many toys!” Hyung Jun said, excitement in his voice.

“You said your wish, so it will not come true!” Jung Min said while the others nodded in agreement causing Hyung Jun to make a sad face.

“I will also try it next time. But I won’t tell you what I want,” Hyun Joong said.

“Let’s make a wish here tomorrow? We can eat lunch together,” Young Saeng suggested.

“Okay!” The others shouted in unison.

They shared their laughter and smiles to each other when someone suddenly called Hyung Jun.

“Hyung Jun-ah, it’s getting late. Let’s go home now,” she said in a calm tone and reached out her hand.

“Okay noona!” He stood up, holding his cousin’s hand. “She’s my cousin and I call her noona.”

“Hello,” they said to her.

“We’ll go home now, will you be okay here?” She asked.

“Yes,” they said but she changed her mind and decided to just wait for someone to pick the kids.

It was then Hyun Joong’s older brother came and also at the same time, Kyu Jong’s parents.

“How about you two? Who will pick you up? Or should we drop you to your houses?” Kyu Jong’s parents asked Young Saeng and Jung Min.

“No, thank you. I just live there.” Jung Min pointed to a building near the park.

“And I live there.” Young Saeng pointed to the building beside the one Jung Min pointed.

“It’s getting dark. We’ll walk you off. And besides, we live at the same building as Young Saeng-ssi.” Kyu Jong’s mother said causing the two young boys to have a big smile on their faces.

And by sheer luck, the dorm where Hyun Joong, Jung Min, and Hyung Jun are living are all in the same building.

They all walk together to their buildings but before parting ways and bidding goodbyes, Jung Min suddenly shouted, “We’re all friends now, right?”

“Ofcourse!” the others replied in unison causing the people with them to smile and giggle at their cuteness.

 


 

Hyun Joong and his brother entered their dorm and surprisingly, Hyun Joong’s fever was suddenly gone but still wasn’t able to escape from his worried mother. She kept on asking him and his brother why they took so long to go home. He also asked his brother why he didn’t come to pick him up early but was ignored. His mother just forced Hyun Joong to rest, eat, and sleep but he didn’t really care, he was still happy with the time he just spent with his new friends.

-----

Young Saeng went straight to the kitchen to get water and eat some food while laughing and smiling to himself, remembering his precious time with his new friends. He then noticed and wondered why his parents’ room’s light was . He got curious so he went inside. He was surprise when his mother suddenly pulled him into a hug and his father smiling at him, making him feel happy more. This is one of the best day of my life, he thought.

-----

As soon as Kyu Jong stepped in their dorm, he took a bath then ran to his bedroom. He laid on the bed, looking up and smiling to himself. He was thinking of the games, talks and eating time he spent with his new friends. He also didn’t forget the wish he was going to make on the fountain next time. And that wish is for the five of them to be friends forever. He fell asleep smiling and feeling excited about him spending time with them.

-----

Jung Min entered his family’s dorm and was greeted by his sister who was about to go out. She pulled him inside checking if there’s something wrong or any scratches on his body and was relieved when she saw none.  He was told to take a bath and when he entered the bathroom, he played along the water and started singing some random happy songs out loud, still haven’t moved on with the playing he and his friends just did.

-----

Upon going in their new dorm, Hyung Jun’s cousin went to the kitchen to help his mother in cooking while he went beside his brother who was watching television in their living room after letting his mom know that they arrived home and safe. He started talking to his brother, telling him about the experience he had with his new friends. He also didn’t forget to invite his brother to come play with them the next time they will see each other.