Chapter One

Never Forget You

[Guigui POV]

I quickened my pace as I felt him gaining on me. I could feel my heart pound madly against my chest. I didn’t dare look back, afraid that he might catch me. His footsteps became louder. By this time, my heartbeat was drumming against my ears. I hastily walked down my street. I had two choices at this point. One was to go straight to my house and hide and two was to run to a neighbour’s house. Then again, what if the neighbour’s weren’t in? I quickly came to the decision to hide in my house.

I ran as fast as I could into my house, slamming the door shut behind me. I had troubles trying to catch my breath. I listened intently to hear if he was outside. Not a sound was heard. Slowly, I got on my toes and peered through the looking hole in the door. My hands were getting sweaty due to my nervousness. Opening one eye, I saw no one, not even a shadow. Letting out a sigh of relief, I turned around.

                “Hello Guigui Wu Ying Jie.” Said the man.

I tried to scream, but he had covered my mouth. He smirked, looking straight into my eyes. i let out another muffled scream as he played with a strand of my hair, twirling it between his fingers. Smiling widely, he dug his head into my shoulder, breathing in my scent.

                “Mmm, strawberry scented shampoo…my favourite.” He mused.

I froze, too scared to do anything. How did I get into this mess? A crazy stalker guy in my house, probably planning to me.

                “Why are you so scared for? I just want some fun. I’ve been watching you for a few months now. I just want you for tonight, that’s all.” He said, backing me up against the wall.

Tears were running down my face as he pressed his lips against my trembling one, forcing it open. Afraid that he might take it to the next level, I looked around to find a weapon. I saw a vase on the table. As self-defence, I reached over, grabbing the vase, before I smashed it over his head. As it broke, I felt pieces of glass attack my face. But I had no time to care about that. I quickly opened the door and ran outside.

He was holding onto his head in pain. I took this opportunity and ran into my car. I should’ve drove it to work today, it would’ve saved me from this crazy ert. I quickly started the engine, panicking as I saw him run towards me. I locked the doors and drove off, just managing to run over his foot.

I drove down the road, speeding. I was afraid that he was still right behind me, so I stepped on the gas pedal. I turned back for a moment, letting out a sigh of relief as I did not see him. As I turned to face the front, I heard a loud honk and a flash of light, before I crashed into a car. Due to the impact, my head went crashing forward. I heard screams and shouts as my eyes started closing.

-------------------------------

                “Fanfanjie, please! I really do want to help her! It was all my fault that she ended up like that.  Just give me 1 month, and I’ll make it happen. Her family can’t afford the treatment. Please!” I begged, giving her my famous puppy-dog face.

                “I don’t know about this. Blackie won’t be very happy.” She said, shaking her head.

                “You’re the only one he listens to! Please! I want to make things right!” I pleaded.

                “Oh all right. But, remember, only one month okay?” she warned.

I let out a wide grin, bowing. I looked up, seeing a ball heading straight for me. Reflexively, I covered my head, but there was no need. It went straight through me. I looked up in shock, but quickly composed myself, letting out a cheeky smile.

                “I’ve got to get used to that.” I stated,running my hand through the ball.

                “You silly little Gui” she said, laughing.

How lame, she was laughing at her own joke. My name’s Gui, and I’m a ghost, literally. It wasn’t  long before I joined in her laughter.    

                “Hey, we should hurry home. The sun’s going to come out soon.” She warned.

I merely nodded, walking into the shadows once again.

------------------------

[Aaron POV]

I sat beside her bed, holding onto her hand tightly. I heard the door open quietly.

                “Aaron, you need some rest.” Said my mum.

                “No Min Pei needs me. I’m not leaving my little sister here, by herself.” I stated.

She heaved a sigh, and sat down beside me.

                “Aaron, we don’t have the money to keep her on life support.”

                “Then I guess, I’ll just have to work harder.” I said, not turning to face her.

                “Your job doesn’t pay you that much…”

I knew she was right, but I didn’t want to think about it. I looked at Min Pei, feeling a tear run down my face.

                “Don’t worry. Gege will always be here for you.” I whispered, squeezing her hand.

I heard a knock on the door, as my mum opened it. I didn’t turn back.

                “I’m the new doctor in charge of Miss Min Pei Wu. You can call me Guigui.”

I turned around, seeing a girl around my age, standing at the door with a wide smile on her face. She walked up to me, extending her arm for a handshake. I politely bowed and took her hand in mine. I felt a strange zap of electricity run through me as our hands came into contact. She didn’t seem to notice, just standing there with a goofy grin on her face. Slowly, my lips turned up at the corners. Her smile was contagious. She nodded once and went straight to work.

[Guigui POV]

After I gave her a check-up, I walked outside into the sunny day. Lifting my face into the direction of the sun, I let out a sigh.

                “I really missed this feeling.” I mumbled.

It wasn’t every day that a ghost like me could run around as a human. I was lucky that Blackie ge even let me!I smiled widely. One month is all it takes to make a change. I’ll make Min Pei wake up, no problems! Oh wait, haha, I’m no qualified doctor…

                “Doctor Guigui!” I heard someone shout into my ear.

I let out a scream, staring at the culprit.

                “Sorry, I scared you. I’m Aaron, Min Pei’s brother. I’m so happy that you can help my sister. After that accident, I thought I’d never see her again.”

I felt guilt flood through me, as I knew that I was the one who caused her to be like this.

                “Doctor Guigui, do you think that she has a chance of waking up?” he asked me, his voice full of hope.

                “I have three things to say. One, don’t call me doctor Guigui, Guigui will be fine. Two, i do think she has a high chance of waking up, and three, do you know any good restaurants around here? I’m starving!” I complained.

I had to get used to this again. Ghosts don’t have to eat, but humans do.

He chuckled at my question, nodding his head.

                “I know just the place.”

We arrived at a small restaurant down in a small alleyway. I brushed my nose, trying to get the stench out. The place had a funny smell, one that wasn’t nice. Aaron noticed me wriggling my nose, and immediately let out an apologetic smile.

                “I’m so sorry. I didn’t remember that this place smelt so bad. We could go to a different place if you’d like?” he asked.

I shook my head, motioning him to continue walking.  He stopped outside a small restaurant, well I think it’s a restaurant. The signs were falling down and the paint had been scraped off. I turned to Aaron with an unsure smile.

                “This place might not look that great, but the food is delicious!” he stated enthusiastically.

We walked in, trying to find a seat. I held my breath, trying to not smell the stench. He wiped my chair before telling me to sit on it. He called the waiter and ordered 2 bowls of noodles.

                “Here’s your food. Remember to enjoy your meal!” said the waiter.

I looked at my watch and was amazed. It only took them 3 minutes. I looked at it and felt my stomach churn. It didn’t look very appetising. I looked at Aaron who was eating his food happily. He looked at me and smiled, encouraging me to try it. I picked up the chopsticks and took a bite.

                “It’s delicious!” I mused, hastily eating it.

                “Just like the old folks say, never judge a book by its cover.” He merely stated.

We laughed and talked for the rest of the time. He sure was different to the other men that I’ve met.

I looked at my calendar and crossed off another day. Two weeks down, two more weeks to go. I laid on my bed, thinking back to the incident. If I didn’t turn back that day of the accident, then I wouldn’t have crashed into that car, and Min Pei wouldn’t be in a coma. It was all my fault for not being careful.

Suddenly my phone went off. I picked it up and heard Aaron’s voice on the other line.

                “Guigui? Umm…I was wondering..i-if you umm…”

                “Man up Aaron!Grow some balls! Confess your love and sweep her off her fee-”I heard someone say in the background.

                “Guigui? did you hear that? Oh um…don’t listen to him. He’s just an idiot.” He said.

I let out a soft giggle.

                “What did you want?” I asked.

                “Are…yo-you free t-ton-”

I heard a muffled noise in the background and some plates crashing. I flinched, but remained composed.

                “Hey, you must be Guigui, the girl Aaron’s falling head over heels for. Well, what he was trying to ask was if you were free tonight. He wants to go on a date with you. There, you see Aaron that’s all you needed to sa-”

I heard a loud slap, and started giggling.

                “Yes I am free tonight. What time?” I asked.

                “Five-thirty! Umm, I’ll wait for you outside you’re house. Bye!” he said, excitement evident in his voice.

I laid back on my bed and laughed silently. What am I going to wear?

[Aaron POV]

I looked at my watch. It’s time! I stood outside her apartment, waiting for her to come out.

                “Aaron, over here.” I heard someone say.

I turned around and saw Guigui. she looked so beautiful. Compared to me, I was just a poor boy.

                “let’s go.” She said, hooking her arm with mine.

After we finished dinner, I took her to the park.

                “I haven’t been to a park for a long time now! When I was young, my dad used to take me here. We’d lay on the grass and talk. But now…” I started crying.

Aaron pulled me into his arms, lendingme his shoulder to cry on. We stayed like that for a while.

                “Thanks.” I said, pulling away.

We lay on the grass, staring up at the stars. Silence surrounded us.        

                “Guigui, I want you to have this.”

I turned around and saw a ring made out of a flower.

                “I know it’s not much, but I want you to accept it. I’m not the richest boy on the planet and am definitely not the hottest. But if you would agree to be my girlfriend, I’d definitely be the luckiest guy.” He confessed.

i froze, staring at him in awe.

                “Umm, if you don’t want to it’s okay!” he said, causing me to laugh.

                “I’d love to!” I replied, putting the ring on my finger.

He let out a sigh of relief, pulling me into a hug. For a moment, just that moment, I wished that I had never died.

[Aaron POV]

Today marked the first week of me and Guigui’s relationship. Smiling widely, I took one last look at myself in the mirror and ran off. I looked at the roses I had bought for her and smiled. I dug into my pocket and smiled. Today was going to be very special.

I stood outside her house, as she came out. I gave the roses to her, and watched her smile. It was the best thing about her. I took her to an upper class restaurant. I had worked very hard for this money.

                “Aaron, this restaurant is expensive!” she whispered as we walked in.

                “I know.” Was all I said.

We enjoyed our meal, laughing and chatting throughout it. I paid for it, and we left.

                “Where are we going to go now?” she asked.

                “the beach.”

She smiled at my answer.

We walked on the sand together, hand in hand. Suddenly, I felt her tense up, stopping in her place. I looked at the direction she was staring, and saw a man. She quickly hid behind me. The man’s face went as pale as a ghost!

                “How are you still alive?! I saw you crash into that car and die!” he shouted at Guigui.

I looked at her, confused by what he said.

                “Guigui, what is he talking about?” I asked her.

I looked at the man, I found him familiar. I had seen him somewhere.

                “Aren’t you the man who witnessed my sister’s car accident?” I asked him.

His eyes widened.

                “You’re the little girl’s brother? What are you doing with her?!” he asked, pointing a finger at Guigui.

                “Why can’t I be with her?” I asked, confused.

                “Because she’s the one who crashed your sister!”

My hand immediately dropped, letting go of Guigui’s hand. What was going on? I looked at Guigui, desperately seeking for an answer.

                “Guigui?” I asked, hoping that she’d deny it.

I saw tears run down her face.

                “Aaron, it was an accident! I didn’t mean to!” she cried.

My mind was going crazy. Nothing was making sense.

                “You were the one who caused my sister to be in a coma? You’re the one who caused my sister all of this pain?!” I shouted at her.

                “Aaron, listen to me. I swear it was all just an accident-”

I slapped hard across her face. My eyes burning with anger.

                “Why didn’t you tell me? Did you want to see how hurt everyone was because of your stupidity?!”

                “Aaron it’s not like that! I wanted to make it up to her, so I decided to be her doctor and to help her family!” she cried.

                “So our relationship was just out of pity?” I asked her.

She shook her head fiercely, holding onto my arm.

                “I don’t know what to believe anymore.” I said, brushing her arm off.

I walked off robotically. I dug into my pocket, taking out a sliver ring. I guess I didn’t need this anymore. I threw it into the ocean. I didn’t want to see it again.

It had been exactly one week since Guigui and I broke up. i shook my head. Why was I even counting?

I picked up my phone, as it went off.

                “Hello?” I asked.

                “Aaron! It’s Min Pei, she’s awake!” I heard my mum shout over the phone.

As soon as I heard it, I ran out of my house, to the hospital. I ran up to her room, and hastily opened the door.

                “Gege!” I heard her shout.

I immediately ran up to her, pulling her into a hug.

                “Min Pei, I missed you!” I cried.

My mum joined in and hugged us.

                “Where’s the doctor? As soon as Min Pei woke up, she left. Did you know that the doctor paid for everything? What’s her name again?” Said my mum.

                “You mean Guigui? she told me that her job was done. And something like she didn’t want to hurt him anymore, so she left or something.” Said Min Pei.

I felt my heart break upon hearing that she had left.

                “Oh yeah, gege, Guigui left a letter for you, she told me to give it to you when you came.”

I took it out of her hands and walked out of the room. I opened the letter and read it.

                ‘Aaron, I did what I had promised you I’d do. Your sister’s awake now. Are you happy? I know that you probably don’t care about this, but I want you to know that the times that we had spent together were the happiest times of my life. I will always cherish them. Right now, I’m probably far, far away from this place.  I’m at a place that I once loved. But ever since I met you, I began to think that being with you was even better. I want to say something that I had never said before to anyone. I love you Aaron Yan and though, we might be far apart from each other, I’ll always remember you.’

As soon as I finished reading the letter, I immediately rushed out of the hospital. I ran to her house, but she was nowhere to be seen. I ran around her neighbourhood, seeking for answers. I searched and searched, but to no avail.

I walked up to the park, when I saw her.

                “Guigui!” I shouted.

She turned around and widened her eyes in shock.

                “Guigui, don’t leave!” I pleaded, running up to her.

I could see tears forming in her eyes.

                “Guigui, I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have shouted at you like that. Just please don’t leave me.” I begged, holding her hand.

She covered with her other hand, muffling her cries. She shook her head slowly.

                “Aaron, we can’t be together.” She stated.

By this time, the sun was rising. She looked at it and let out a small smile.

                “What do you mean?! Of course we can be together!” I shouted.

Tears were running down her face helplessly as she shook her head vigorously.

                “You don’t understand. I’m not who you think I am. I’m not human.” She stated.

I looked at her disbelievingly.

                “Stop joking around Guigui.”

                “I’m not human, I’m a ghost. Humans and ghosts can never live together. Aaron, we can’t be together.” She said.

                “Haha, very funny Guigui. I know your name means ghost.” I laughed sarcastically.

                ‘Aaron, what am I supposed to say to make you believe me?! I’m dead! I’m not alive! What that man said was right! I died that night! I crashed into you sisters car and died!”

                “If you’re dead then why are you standing in front of me right now?!”

                “because there was something I had to do. I had to save your sister. It was my fault that she ended up like that. And now my job is done! I was given one month, and within one month whether or not I cured her was my problem, but after one month I had to return.”

                “Return where?!” I asked her furiously, nothing was making sense.

                “I don’t belong in this world. We’re two people from totallydifferent worlds! Please, just let me go!” she exclaimed, tearing her hand out of mine.

                “Please don’t do this Guigui! I’ll do anything you want! Stop joking with me! Please!”

She looked into the sun, letting out a small smile.

                “My time’s nearly up.” she stated, lifting her chin into the sun. “Aaron, I’m not human. If you don’t believe me, touch me.”

I slowly lifted my hand to her face. I took a deep breath, planning to her cheek, but my hand just went straight through her. I stared at my hand in utter shock. i repeatedly tried to touch her, but to no avail.

                “You see, I’m a ghost. We can never be together.”

I stood there speechless.

                “Before I leave, I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me. Though our time together was short, it will always be a memory that I will forever cherish.”She cried.

                “Guigui, don’t go!” I shouted, reaching out for her hand.

Just as I thought, my arm went straight through hers. She smiled bitterly. That was when I realised she was wearing the flower ring I had made her. she stared down at it.

                “Even a present like this I cannot keep! When I leave, I will not be able to bring this with me. I love you so much Aaron Yan. I promise that I will wait for you forever. I will never forget you. I only regret that the time we had together was too short. I wanted to build a family with you, to lead a  happy life with you. I wanted to be with you forever, be known as Mrs Yan. But I guess that will never happen.” She said.

Remembering back to the ring I had thrown into the ocean, I regretted not believing her. I looked at the ring on her finger.

                “Guigui, though we cannot live together, you’ll always be in my heart. That ring on your finger, will act as our wedding ring.” I said.

I immediately went to find another flower. I quickly turned it into another ring, and placed it onto my finger. I got down on one knee and looked her in the eye.

                “Miss Guigui Wu, are you willing to marry me, Aaron Yan? I promise to wait for you and never forget about you. You will always be my one and only ghost.”

She started crying harder, nodding frantically.

                “Will you, Aaron Yan, take me Guigui Wu, a ghost, as your wife? Though we can never be together, I promise to think of you every second of my life, if I ever dream, it will only be of you. I will wait for you forever.”

                “I do.” I replied.

I tried pulling her into a hug, and though I went straight past her, I imagined she was in my arms. I held her tightly.

                “Aaron, I love you.” she said.

I let go of her. I panicked as I saw her start to fade away.

                “Guigui! I love you so much!” I cried.

She started floating up higher, as I tried to hold her hand. No matter how hard I tired, my hand just went through hers.

                “Aaron, I will always remember you.”

                “Guigui!” I shouted as she disappeared.

I fell on my knees, staring at my hand. There, lying inside, was her ring. I held it closely towards my chest, crying out all of my pain.

                “Guigui, I love you.”