Sometimes That's All You Can Do

Sometimes That's All You Can Do

A/N: Usually i write my AN at the end but just felt like writing it first today. so just a reminder. i started writing this at 12 last night and finished it at 2 am. so plz dont judge very harshly. i'm still surprised 1700+ words came out of my head and fingers at that time at night... well enjoy


 

Of course everyone knows that if something starts going wrong, the only action to take is to run away from the problem. That was exactly what Jessica did. But only, everyone knows that that is NOT an appropriate solution in any situation (except if the problem is a bomb, a wild animal, or HellSica), so any normal person would have actually taken an extra second to think before accepting the request for a photoshoot in the middle of JungSis Project productions which required her to travel to this never-been-never-heard-before country called Myanmar and much worse… with Yoona out of the possible 8 young, hot, appealing, totally angelically beautiful women. It just had to be Yoona! The one who was like the dead ringer, the long-lost non-blood-related twin of Jessica’s most current fear, her one and only sister, little Jung, Krystal Jung Soojung.

 

No no, don’t get the wrong idea. It’s not that Jessica dislikes either of the younger girls; heck she loves both of them. But sadly, for both situations, not the way the girls wanted to be loved. Jessica had known about Yoona’s not-so-small-nor-secretive crush on her for a while now and they had come clean about it (well, the Im was now dating Lee Seunggi, wasn’t she? But that hadn’t meant that her feelings for the older of the Jungs had dissipated). However, Krystal (oh Sooyeon’s young little Soojungie…) was news. If it hadn’t been for the kiss*, blur!Sica might have never realized her sister’s more-than-sisterly love for her at all! However, since the kiss had happened, Jessica realized that that was all she could think about whenever she saw Krystal. Even while Krystal was wearing her hideous cucumber onesie for JungSis Project filming and doing her awkward mango dance in front of her, all Jessica could see was her sister leaning in for the second first kiss, the nervousness and anticipation and something in her glittering eyes, and her smile at the end. She thought she didn’t notice, but she did and she now knew. She had taken away her sister’s first kiss without realizing the true extent of the girl’s feelings. She had wanted to tell her so badly to stop, to tell her that it’s wrong, not worth it, hopeless, that she is sorry, but at the same time that would be like going against all that she stood for and ultimately, she knew that Soojung knew. That smart little girl knew everything, especially about her sister. And that’s why she helped Jessica pack up, drove her to the airport and watched her depart with an unfaltering smile (only she knew if it was genuine) as her older sister scampered away to the weird foreign country like a cat with its tail between its hind legs.

 

Yoona, on the other hand, was clueless about the event that had transpired between the Jung sisters. She teased, hugged, and even kissed her Sica-unnie on the cheek once. In her glee that she was to spend three days alone with her crush, Yoona failed to notice the older Girls’ Generation member tensing up slightly whenever the taller girl approached. She didn’t know that Jessica kept seeing Krystal whenever she saw her and kept hearing Krystal’s aegyo whenever Yoona called her unnie.

 

Jessica tiredly kicked off her painful heels as soon as she was inside her hotel room and let herself fall onto the spot on the king-sized bed onto where the A/C blew directly. The cold air enveloped her whole aching, over-heated, sweating body. The hot sun of Myanmar was too much for the residential Ice Princess who seemed to be literally melting as she seemed to have bathed with her clothes on (not literally!) while shooting three photos for 10 minutes in total outside under the shade of a banyan tree in a sweltering 40 degrees Celsius.

 

With a beep, the door was unlocked and Yoona stepped in before stopping abruptly. Jessica knew that the crop top she had worn for the photoshoot had risen up higher than it should lay when she had stretched out on the bed, but was too lazy and tired to do anything about it except groan. And groan did she, all her frustrations. Was Yoona staring at her abs again? Why was Yoona staring? Why did she even have abs? Why were her abs showing? Why did she have to wear a crop top? Why does it have to be so hot? What the hell happened to Myanmar monsoon that was supposed to bring regular thunderstorms every day? As if the gods or forces above heard Jessica’s mental ranting, there was a loud rumble of thunder from the sky. A grin almost split the Jung’s face in half. Yoona startled out of her trance of staring at Jessica’s abs.

 

“Sica-unnie!” She picked up the plastic bag that had fallen from her hands and skipped over to the girl lazing on the bed. “Guess what I brought!”

 

“Rain!!~ Thunderstorm!!~” Jessica rolled around on the bed happily, doing her own version of the rain dance.

 

“No unnie, I could only wish to be that powerful. Although I think it’s the general consensus that I’m gorgeous enough to be Zeus’s daughter.” Seeing the blank look, the infamous glare, and then the eye roll, Yoona cleared and changed back to her original subject. “I got food unnie! The fans gave me food!”

 

“Of course, it’s food that you’re this excited about,” Jessica said disinterestedly but sat up nonetheless.

 

“Not just food; they’re mangoes! The one-diamond mangoes that Myanmar is so famous for! One of the most famous types of mango in the world! Look!”

 

Jessica looked but she saw not Yoona gazing admiringly at the mangoes but Krystal excitedly beaming upon seeing her favorite fruits. The sweet aroma of the ripe yellow fruits filled the room and Jessica’s cute nostrils, making her wrinkle them. Krystal would love it here. It was the peak of the freaking mango season and the hotel room that she and Yoona shared was already filled with mangoes and treats made from mangoes. Every meal that they had ended with mangoes as desserts. And every time that she saw mangoes, Jessica kept on thinking of Krystal.

 

“Unnie, wanna eat it?” Yoona asked and Jessica nodded mindlessly. “I’ll go ask manager-oppa to peel it.”

 

The younger girl scurried out of the room again, leaving the tired brunette to slouch back against the headboard of the bed. She just sat around for a few moments, listening to the pelting of rain against the window, but then found herself restless. Her phone was in her hand with good internet connection connected, but she didn’t know what to do (or rather she wasn’t sure whether she should do what she wanted to do). Jessica finally decided to follow her heart as usual, unlocked her phone, opened her Skype, and pressed “call”. The call only rang two times before she picked up.

 

“UNNIE!!!!!~” Krystal’s wide grin filled up her phone’s screen. “You finally decided to call!”

 

“Sorry Kryssie, I’ve been busy.” They both knew it was just an excuse.

 

“Yeah, I figured. I met Tiffany-unnie yesterday and she told me that you were fine and having fun, but that you were suffocating in the heat of the tropical country.” Krystal hid her sadness away behind her giggle. “How is the country? You better have bought something for me!”

 

“Of course I did!”

 

Krystal smiled even wider as a slight nervousness and shyness took over her features. “I miss you so much. Do you miss me, unnie?”

 

“Of course I do, baby Jung. There are so many mangoes here! The mangoes are so big and sweet too! You would love it here! Let’s come back here one day for a holiday during mango season.”

 

“That would be so great! We can eat mangoes and mango cakes, and drink mango smoothies! That sounds so yummy!”

 

Jessica chuckled at the resurfacing of the little kid in Krystal’s personality. “You’re such an adorable kid.”

 

Krystal’s blush was visible even with the bad quality of the video call.

 

“Awwww you’re blushing!” Jessica squealed, making the little sister grew redder. “Maybe I should compliment you more since you seem to like it.”

 

“No, I don’t. I’m not cute. I’m gangster.” Krystal did a swag move which made her look like a five year old instead of a thug.

 

“You’re a cutie patootie.” Jessica cooed again.

 

“No, I’m a gangster who will protect her princess Jung from other thugs!”

 

“I’m supposed to be the older sister Kryssie.”

 

“But we all know that you still have the mentality of a 6 year old and the personality of a princess.” Jessica looked up at the interjection and saw Yoona walking towards her with a plate full of mangoes.

 

“Hi Yoona-unnie!” Krystal greeted loudly from the other side of the phone line.

 

“Hey Soojungie!” Yoona grinned and waved back with her free hand.

 

“Are those mangoes I see?”

 

“Yup, want some?” Yoona taunted.

 

“Feed meeee!!” Krystal whined.

 

“Feed me too!” Jessica copied her younger sister, sounding a lot cuter in Yoona and Krystal’s ears.

 

Yoona picked up the fork and fed the oldest girl a piece of mango who accepted it, happily chewing while Yoona happily smiled and Krystal averted her eyes.

 

“Unnies, I have to go now. The other members are back.” Again, they all knew it was just an excuse.

 

“Bye Soojungie!” Both girls greeted before the call was quickly ended by the girl in Korea.

 

Jessica and Yoona sat stunned on their shared bed for a while, surprised by the terseness of the goodbye. The Jungs were running away again.

 

“Is she okay?”

 

Jessica shrugged.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Are you?”

 

Yoona shrugged, Jessica shrugged, and they each ate another piece of mango.

 

The two were startled when Jessica’s phone rang again. Jessica glanced at her phone and looked back at Yoona who had an eyebrow raised in question. She just smiled, stood up and walked toward the door with her phone in her hand, leaving Yoona alone. Yoona let out a sigh and just ate another piece of mango.

 

Jessica shut the door behind her and slid the phone button to accept the call, her smile growing on her face with each second closer to hearing the voice she has been waiting for.

 

“JESSI! HELLO!”

 

Jessica giggled at the very enthusiastic greeting.

 

“Hey Tiff.”

 

“How have you been baby?”

 

“Missing you, my love.”