Gitna

If You'll Have Me

 

“The nerve of that man!” Kyungsoo shouts at no one in particular while he narrates Yifan’s proposition to his sister Dara and brother-in-law Jiyong, pacing back and forth in front of the two. “Do you know what he told me? He will help me find someone who will marry me if I agree to do a photo shoot and interview for Asia Weddings magazine entitled ‘Always planning a wedding but not married’!” Kyungsoo stops to huff a breath before he continued, “And he expects me to model the suits I would want to wear on my wedding! Why the would I do that and embarrass myself? How did the bastard even know I have a deadline to get married?”

 

“I don’t know about you, Kyungie. But I think this is a good opportunity for you to find someone,” Dara encourages.

 

“Yeah, I think your Noona is right Kyung,” Jiyong agrees and Kyungsoo can’t help but roll his eyes because of course the husband would agree with the wife. And it’s exactly why he needs a husband of his own.

 

 

 

If there is one thing Kyungsoo somehow admires about Yifan it’s his talent at being persistent. The latter follows Kyungsoo everywhere just to make him accept the offer that Yifan presented. Well, who wouldn’t do the same thing as Yifan when Asia Weddings’ offer to him is a once in a lifetime opportunity? If Kyungsoo agrees to be featured, Yifan will be the photographer and that’s a good addition to his portfolio.

 

“Kyungsoo, please. This is a good opportunity for you to promote your shop too. The magazine is not only distributed locally, it’s all over Asia!” Yifan pleads as he follows Kyungsoo on the street of Seoul.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you? I am not going to wear any wedding suit unless it’s my wedding day! Do you understand that?” Kyungsoo explains in frustration as he continues to walk away from the photographer.

 

“Help, treat this as you helping me. Oh please, Kyungsoo, help me out.”

 

“Help? After all that you’ve done to me you have the audacity to ask for my help?” Kyungsoo continues to walk and only stops for the walk sign to turn green so he can cross the street.

 

“If you agree this is actually a win-win situation for both of us,” Yifan continues to appeal. “My photos will be in Asia Weddings and you’ll have someone who can marry you.”

 

The walk sign signals that it’s already okay to cross, so Kyungsoo ignores Yifan and continues to go on his way.

 

“If I can’t find a man for you by the time the photo shoot is scheduled, then I’m not going to be bother you anymore,” Yifan calls out from behind. “Promise!”

 

Kyungsoo turns around to find Yifan down on bended knee and arms raised in the air like someone proposing. The people around hoot and cheer, oblivious that it isn’t an actual proposal for marriage. Kyungsoo moves closer to Yifan and the latter stands up to meet the former.

 

“You won’t take photos of me anymore? Promise?” Kyungsoo inquires.

 

“For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, till death do us part,” Yifan promises and Kyungsoo reaches out a hand for them to shake.

 

 

 

The dates Yifan found for him are all ridiculously impossible.

 

One is unbearably stiff, moves like he is counting the steps. Like one of those military guys who cannot do any movement unless ordered to by his commander. And Kyungsoo is bored to death.

 

Another one is dreadfully loquacious. Kyungsoo can’t even insert a word of his own. The man is in his monologue about health supplements and how important it is to take care of the body. Kyungsoo tries to in but it’s as if he hasn’t because every time he opens his mouth, his date has opened up another topic about lactobacilli and how the stomach needs them.

 

“Shut up! Shut up! I’m tired of your never-ending talk and blah blah ! In case you haven’t noticed, we’re the only ones left here and you’re mouth hasn’t stopped blabbering!” Kyungsoo explodes, unable to contain his exasperation. He walks out of the date and doesn’t look back once.

 

The last date he has agreed to is with someone who is very ually forward. The man is a commercial model, a spokesperson for the new deodorant that will unleash the ual appetite. And Kyungsoo ends up being shoved to the man’s armpits to smell the deodorant. He struggles to break free but he is still unable to escape his unfortunate fate. It’s the last date he will ever put up with.

 

“Soo, it’s not the end yet. We still have a lot of prospects,” Yifan calls out as he runs to keep up with Kyungsoo. He drove Kyungsoo home after that disturbing date with the deodorant guy.

 

“No. I’m done. I can’t do this anymore,” Kyungsoo replies.

 

“Why are you giving up this early? You’ve only been on three dates. Surely, you won’t be able to find your dream man from them.”

 

“Please, stop,” Kyungsoo mutters dejectedly, tears starting to form from his eyes, a clear sign the he has given up. “Please, I can’t do this anymore.”

 

Yifan is taken aback at Kyungsoo’s display of defeat. He has known the smaller male to be feisty and a fighter, what with Kyungsoo putting up a good fight for him every time he takes embarrassing photos of the younger man, of course Kyungoo wouldn’t give up easily. But the pitiful look on Kyungsoo’s face makes Yifan take a step back and lets Kyungsoo go in his apartment building.

 

 

 

It takes one month after that they meet again. Kyungsoo is surprised to find Yifan talking to one of his unmarried aunts in the living room. They usually have a family lunch every first Sunday of the month that is why Kyungsoo is in his parents’ house along with his family members. So, he doesn’t get why Yifan is there like he is part of the family.

 

“Yifan, you should stay for lunch, okay? I insist.” Kyungsoo’s aunt invites before she leaves upon seeing Kyungsoo approaching.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asks as soon as he is seated on one end of the long couch while Yifan takes the other end.

 

“I have great news for you,” Yifan explains and Kyungsoo just raises a brow willing the taller male to continue. “I finally found the perfect guy for you!”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes to show that he is not interested. He stands up and turns his back on Yifan, walking over to the glass wall overlooking the garden.

 

“He’s a Harvard Law graduate, comes from a good family, I know because he’s my cousin. He’s coming home next month because he wants to serve his country. And most importantly, he already wants to settle and have a family of his own.”

 

Kyungsoo’s interest is sparked. By how Yifan puts it, this prospect isn’t so bad. Well, he’s actually a good catch. He just can’t pass a chance like that.

 

“I have a favor though,” Yifan continues when Kyungsoo faces him. “Seriously, Kyungsoo, this is not someone random guy that I’m setting you up with. This is my cousin we’re talking about and I need to prepare you for him as well.”

 

Kyungsoo is unable to react to Yifan’s sudden revelation. The seriousness in Yifan’s face is something the smaller male has never seen before. He has always seen the photographer being easy-going and happy-go-lucky but never dead serious about something. All he can do is to nod his agreement.

 

 

 

They spend almost every day together. Yifan comes to the shop to pick up Kyungsoo for their lessons on how to be a husband-material. Their time together is also spent on getting to know each other. Yifan asks Kyungsoo questions in order to give him an idea on what to work on and Kyungsoo does the same. However, Kyungsoo isn’t Kyungsoo if he isn’t a handful and Yifan tries his best to it all in.

 

The younger male unbelievably has rebuttals for every advice that Yifan has given him. The blonde has suggested that Kyungsoo should learn to cook because how else is he going to feed his husband in the future. Kyungsoo just replies with “There are a lot of restaurants that deliver. Just one call and we’re all set.”

 

“Why did you make a left here? You should have turned left on the next street,” Kyungsoo complains while Yifan drives.

 

“You know, guys hate that.”

 

“Hate what?”

 

“When they’re corrected while driving. You can suggest, but never correct.”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Oh come on, it’s just you who doesn’t like that. Because you cannot stand the fact that I was right.”

 

Yifan just sighs in defeat because the man is utterly stubborn.

 

The next day, Yifan finds himself at a club looking for Kyungsoo. The implausible younger man has taken it upon himself to try all of the alcoholic drinks in the club and dance until his limbs are dislocated.

 

“Let’s go,” Yifan says with gritted teeth. He grabs Kyungsoo by the arm and leads him out of the establishment.

 

Kyungsoo pulls his arm away from Yifan’s grip. “What do you think you’re doing? I was having fun in there!”

 

“By having fun you mean all the guys groping you wherever at the dance floor then you have a weird sense of having fun.”

 

“So what? They can touch me wherever they want as long as I am enjoying it.”

 

Yifan grabs Kyungsoo’s arm again and drags him to the parking lot. “Get in the car.”

 

Kyungsoo is about to protest but Yifan is quick to cut him off. “GET IN THE CAR!” When Kyungsoo isn’t moving, Yifan raises his voice a little louder, “NOW!”

 

Kyungsoo has turned stiff at Yifan’s action. He cowered at the raging fit that Yifan is showing. Knowing the playful and easy-going personality of the older male, Kyungsoo did not expect that Yifan has that scary side too.

 

“Do you know why it’s so hard to find a date for you?” Yifan continues. “Because you’re easy, man of the world. You’re also a tease. You let people touch you but you won’t actually give in. And most of all, you’re a nag with a machine gun mouth! You the energy out of your partner.”

 

Kyungsoo juts out his lower lip and his face scrunches, about to cry. “I think you’re forgetting. I am doing you a favor,” he says like a five-year old kid.

 

“Correction, I am doing you a favor. The deal with Asia Weddings has been cancelled because they can’t wait for you. Therefore my dear Kyungsoo, I am doing this to help you.”

 

“I don’t need your pity,” Kyungsoo stubbornly responds, still being a kid about everything.

 

Yifan sighs in frustration and runs his fingers through his hair. He turned his back on the smaller male because he was still in disbelief about how Kyungsoo can be so proud.

 

“But I do need your help,” Kyungsoo continues as he tugs on the hem of Yifan’s shirt. “You think there’s still hope for me?”

 

Yifan gives in and smiles at the doe-eyed who is looking so intently up at him.

 

 

 

sunskyivee