Shiny, Scarlet Eyes

Of All People, Why You?
 

Chapter 1: Shiny, Scarlet eyes


Word Count: 3, 257

Work is something that is generally despised. Not really despised unless you find your work pleasing, enjoyable. These days however, it is hard to find a job that endears a person. Byun Baekhyun finds work as an obligation, a punishment for all their sins, wrong doings. Back then they would simply pick up fruits and eat, laze around under the shade of trees and enjoy a life of self-government. Run around freely under the warm, bright light and along with the cold breeze.

 

He hopes that he can go back to that certain time.

 

Freedom, as Baekhyun feels, is deprived from him.

 

Pity, he knows he can’t run away from responsibilities.

 

He does not find it fair. He did not do anything wrong in his life. He was obedient yet a bit naughty for he grew up with no parents and was raised in an orphanage. Sometimes he would rather go out and have fun during his early stages, attempting to escape the other duties that are for him to comply but never did he have done anything that is against the law.

 

Sadly, that kind of attitude displayed by him did not last that long for their status does not allow such manners.

 

Being around the lower class, they can’t do anything but obey the higher class; do everything that is told them to do.

 

He wishes to go against the system. He’ll be killed, murdered if he does that.

 

At the age of 15 he escaped the orphanage with his friend Luhan.

 

Baekhyun is one attractive fairy, alluring and petite. He had such elegant, silver wings despite his appearance being the complete opposite of it, reckless. Having a darker shade of silver, almost gray, covered his iris and black, silk hair and also adding soft, porcelain skin to his development is not really a wonderful thing for Baekhyun.

He is pursued, wanted by rich lords, some of which are good-looking enough to capture Baekhyun’s devilish eyes but none interested him. Some are forceful, going as far as breaking and entering his humble abode. It vexes him to the hilt.

 

His best friend, Luhan, is just as eye-catching as him.

 

 

 

It was a decree for them to go to the kingdom’s main circle during their first year of being 18. The Matchmaking happens every year, last day of the last month. The youth, specifically young men of the vassal line, are rather remarkable. They can conceive by the time they reach maturity.

 

Though male pregnancy is one confusing matter even to the elders of their town, males are somewhat divided into 2, dominari and subditum meaning dominant and submissive. Subditum males can still take a female fairy but the chances of the child surviving are low and the male’s life span might shorten.

 

The youth are supposed to look their best, helped by the easily aggravated pixies. These pixies are very talented in terms of beautifying, looking their best. They give the compliments that can make a person feel better in spite of that being talkative and aggressive looking.

 

 

 

“Close your eyes.”

 

Baekhyun fluttered his eyes close as the pixie assigned to him placed eyeliner to the corners of his eyes. It was said to him many times, by the jealous youth of his generation and also the fickle yet ever so learned elderly of the kingdom, that why would a beautiful person make himself more captivating?

 

“I don’t understand why-

 

And now he hears it again.

 

-You are one pretty fairy yes; it is a pleasure for us pixies to decorate your pale face but what sorrow it is to paint it over.” The pixie said who is finishing up the blank ink that coated his eyelids.

 

Baekhyun looked at himself through the mirror and stared at himself, sighing. He looked to his fellow fairies on the same row as him; all are covered with pigment of different shades, painted in different ways. Just 2 seats far from him sat his friend Luhan, still unfinished. The pixie designated for him is adding glitter to his eyelids. Luhan did have eyeliner too but perhaps thicker than him.

 

“Your friend looks just as pretty. His caramel hair looks striking.” The pixie said as she placed the eyeliner, which is just as the same height as her, back to the jar where all the cosmetics are at. “You 2 are a catch. How lucky that person is to have you young lads as consort.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled to himself. “I suppose so but I don’t want to have a partner yet.” He sighed yet again. “I just want to fly around, chat with my friend and live a life with no one attached to me. No responsibility and getting a mate mean once again, duty.”

 

“What’s it about you and responsibility?” The pixie asked. “I like my work. It is my duty to make youth pretty and I am doing a good job in it.”

 

“Well, it’s your passion. Then I, therefore, judge myself as someone who does not have any passion.” Baekhyun finalized.

 

“That’s ridiculous. No such fairy nor any being, not to mention as pretty as you, would have no passion. Each individual must have a passion. Life will be boring without it.”

 

“Then are you saying that I am living a rather dull life?” Baekhyun gets a little defensive. He doesn’t want to be called boring. He is one social butterfly after all.

 

“No, you are one impulsive fairy who doesn’t care about work.” The pixie retorted.

 

“Hm, well, I think playing around is my passion then. You know, giving sunshines and rainbows to everyone.”

 

“You can’t benefit from that-

 

“Yes I can! It makes me happy seeing someone happy!”

 

“Can you survive in that?” The pixie placed her hands on her hips.

 

“Let me tell you this, when I have so many friends and I have no work, I can just go to their quarters and ask for food if I’m hungry. Ask for a shelter to stay-

 

“You’re one shameless kid.” The pixie shook her head, giving Baekhyun’s hair slight touches to make it look presentable again. The boy’s ramblings affected his actions, more likely his head. “You’ll lose your friends if you did that.”

 

Huffing, Baekhyun looked at the busy pixie through the mirror. “Then maybe, singing is my passion.”

 

The pixie looked interested. “Oh? Really?”

 

“I guess so. Luhan heard it. He said it sounds wonderful but I don’t really have confidence in it.” Baekhyun whispered.

 

“May I hear it then?”

 

“You might lose your hearing.” Baekhyun joked. “And besides, I don’t have any energy to do so.”

 

“You just sat all afternoon. I should be the one saying that.”

 

On cue, Luhan came over Baekhyun’s seat, looking gorgeous as ever. Baekhyun beamed at the sight of the pretty male. Standing, he walked around Luhan and stared from head to toe.

 

“My, my Luhan! You look lovely!” Baekhyun showed his pearly whites, highlighting his lip gloss.

 

“You look marvelous Baekhyun!” Luhan complimented back.

 

Soon, they heard a trumpet, signaling that the Matchmaking is about to start. Baekhyun looked at Luhan wearily and later gave him an encouraging smile.

 

“It’s time.”

 

 

 

 

“Do we really have to do this? It’s not like we’re the ones attending the Matchmaking.” Chanyeol groaned to his pillow. Mumbling and making weird sounds to express his annoyance. “And I’m too tired to travel to the main circle. I just went out yesterday to check out the woods for the troublesome goblins that attacked our Head Chef. My wings are too tired to move even the slightest bit.”

 

Park Chanyeol, The Prince of Pyraphos, does not want to motion his body, even just a mere movement from his long limbs. “If I had not love his food that much I should’ve just let our Head Guard look for the goblins.”

 

“But we have to be there, our parents might look for us. Especially you, you are the one who is supposed to light the torch.” Sehun scoffed. He flipped through the pages of his favorite book; wings glowing in such a way Chanyeol did not see very often for this friend of his is not the type to be easily pleased nor to be interested in things. This is very odd for the red haired man.

 

“You seem… different today. What on earth happened to you?” Chanyeol looked to his side, staring at the cold looking Sehun.

 

“What do you mean?” Sehun seemed to be caught off guard.

 

“Your wings are glowing-

 

“It’s because he is excited for the matchmaking.” Jongin replied in a teasing way, unable to take in the information any longer. He was quiet for most of the time they entered Chanyeol’s room.

 

Sehun stiffened, gripping his book tightly, the symbol on his neck growing angry pink.  Chanyeol sat up, smirking. “Are you… enthusiastic on meeting someone? It looks like you’re the one attending the Matchmaking.”

 

“I dare you tease me longer Chanyeol, I might throw this book at you.” Sehun glared at his now laughing friend. Jongin did not take the threat seriously and continued on his teasing.

 

“Hey, he is one fine guy Sehun!” Jongin shouted. “A real beaut’ especially his caramel hair and doe eyes!”

 

“Tell me Sehun, who’s the noble? Elite? Or perhaps one of the monarchies?” Chanyeol shook Sehun’s shoulders roughly, thinking that if he shook hard enough the information he wants will come out.

 

“I’m pretty much sure it’s elite. It’s possible that he might be a monarch too!” Sehun slapped Chanyeol’s hands away for he is getting dizzy in all the rough handling of the tall man.

 

“Wait, you don’t know his status?” Chanyeol looked at Sehun. “What if he’s of lower class?”

 

“I saw him too Chanyeol, he has this golden wings.“ Jongin interrupted.

 

“Then he’s of the Lu Monarch? The Lu Monarch is the only monarchy with golden wings! And besides, the Lu Monarch has a son, a son! And they hid him for like what… years?”

 

“I don’t know! I saw him at the market buying watermelons one morning.”

 

“You saw him in a market? The son of the Lu Monarch?” Chanyeol repeated in disbelief.

 

“We don’t know if he’s the son of the Lu Monarch! Gods really! It’s not like a monarch cannot go to the market.”

 

“But knowing us monarchies, we could’ve just let our servants do the work for buying food or something!”

 

“What if he just wants to socialize with our lower class?”

 

Chanyeol responded yet again with a groan. Not wanting to dwell on the subject any longer. He just lost interest and wants to rest and lie down on his bed. Jongin and Sehun saw that Chanyeol’s wings are slowly losing movement and starts to shorten its length. Not long after, they saw their friend’s wings disappear from his back.

 

“Yah, yah Chanyeol! Don’t you dare sleep!” Jongin kneed Chanyeol on the waist slightly.

 

 

Jongin and Sehun are Chanyeol’s best friends. Both are nobles whilst Chanyeol is by royal blood. Chanyeol’s eyes are garnet red and a phoenix symbol on his neck. Jongin had shining black eyes that can rival the eclipse and had triangular symbol. Sehun had dirty green eyes and the wind symbol.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo flew through the halls, long sash flapping harshly behind him for he is flying rather fast. His wings whiffle with rhythm along with his sash.

 

“Oh gods, where are those 3… they’re late! Chanyeol, oh that Chanyeol! I would strangle him-“

 

Kyungsoo opened the door of Chanyeol’s room. The moment he darted his eyes on the 3 subjects that he was cursing earlier, Chanyeol already had his hands on Jongin’s neck, attempts to strangle him to death. Sehun was pulling Chanyeol away from the blue-looking Jongin. They paused when they saw Kyungsoo at the door, looking irked.

 

“Kyungsoo?“ The 3 said in unison.

 

Kyungsoo stepped inside the room, hands on his hips, and a present scowl on his face. The 3 let go of one another and ran outside the room. They all know why Kyungsoo is mad at them and they don’t want to make the small man mad and that means hell, hence, the moment they are outside the room, they flew away in order to escape Death’s hands.

 

 

 

 

There Baekhyun stood, along with his fellow fairies, at the middle of the circle. Everyone was loud, anticipating the matchmaking event. Some are betting who will choose who, while some shouted their cheers for the fairy they are interested in.

 

The monarchies, all respectively seating in their own rightful places, watched from the towers and saw how the crowd below them worked, all nobles, knights, elites mixed together, voices over voices, shouts by shouts, cheer by cheer. They just can’t wait.

 

This era was different, the lower class that includes farmers, craftsmen, laborers, and other fairies that are considered as slaves, are treated poorly and are abused severely by the higher class. Frowned upon for they think they are disgusting. Nobles, elites can also belong to the lower class if they had done anything wrong.

 

 

 

“I am anticipating this Matchmaking. All of them look marvelous.” Suho whispered to his mother.

The Lady of the Water Monarchy nodded and smiled sweetly.

 

“I never thought that all of them would look very stunning. This generation had a lot of wonderful youth. I wonder when will you take a consort.” Suho’s mother teased.

 

Suho laughed lightly. “I am not ready for that mother. I would want to serve the kingdom first before taking a wife.”

 

“A wife? Why, I thought you like-

 

Suho’s mother looked over to the tower parallel to them, The Zhang Monarchy.

 

Suho turned beet red. He knew what his mother is talking about and coughed to himself earning him a laugh from his mother. His mother knew that he is interested to the youngest son of the Zhang Monarchy, Zhang Yixing.

 

“He is a ditum afterall and you’re a nari. I see no problem in that.”

 

 

“What is taking this so long?” Baekhyun thought.

 

They are standing there for a while now and the prince did not come yet. He was the one who is supposed to start the matchmaking and Baekhyun wants this to be over. He feels uncomfortable to the stares given to him by some elites and nobles whilst most are knights. He was used to being looked at but stared at in an unbearable time is driving him nuts now that he was not allowed to move. He tried looking away, wanting to look unconcerned but failed miserably.

 

He took a hold of Luhan’s hand beside him and steadied his breaths. He seeks for comfort and Luhan is the only one who will be able to do that. Luhan gripped his hand back, thumb circling around

 

“It’s gonna be okay. Just ignore them.” Luhan whispered.

 

“I don’t know if I can do that Luhan. One of these guys will take me home and have me for the rest of my life. Gracious, why did they call this matchmaking when we have no freedom to choose at all.”

 

“This is a chance actually, a noble, if you’re lucky enough, an elite will choose you then you will have a nice, wonderful life, rising on to the 3rd base of the food chain.”

 

“Shut up, not like you want this too. I hope an old, rich man takes you.”

 

“I won’t allow that. I am seeing myself running with you, away from Pyraphos.” Luhan quipped.

 

“Yes, what will you do without me?”

 

“I think it’s the other way around Baek.”

 

“I can protect myself Luhan, Im stong.” Baekhyun chuckled.

 

“I can protect you too you know!”

 

“Yes, you can with that face of yours! I think I should be the one protecting you!”

 

“Well then, assign me as your protector Baekhyun and I shall protect you with all my heart!” Luhan placed his right hand on his chest. Showing Baekhyun how committed he is in protecting him, smiling.

 

Baekhyun laughed. Not knowing what underlies Luhan’s word is actually the solemn truth. Luhan is not the same age as Baekhyun’s, in fact, he is 2 years older. He is also not from the lower class but from the higher class, not just any higher class but one of the monarchies.

 

Luhan is the most precious, only child of the Lu Monarchy.

 

He was sent by his parents to protect Baekhyun for he is the only descendant of the Byun Monarchy and they can’t risk losing the last child. The Lu Monarch had to come up with a lie that they want their son to be hidden even though it was the complete opposite. They made their son mingle with the lower class, they told the orphanage about their plan and the latter accepted. The orphanage was owned by the Byuns after all. However, this does not exempt Luhan and Baekhyun being treated equally with the other orphans.

 

The Lu Monarchy and The Byun Monarchy are friends, allies for centuries. They had a bold relationship that no one questioned. If you saw a Lu along the streets then there is no doubt seeing a Byun following behind.

 

 

 

Luhan plans on saying the truth to Baekhyun after his ‘scheme’was put into action. An elite, one of the Lu Monarch’s trusted supporters, will bet for Baekhyun to the highest amount until they finally caught him. Once having him they will tell the truth.

 

 

What Luhan doesn’t know is that Baekhyun had other plans that might affect their scheme.

 

 

 

“Where is that blasted child?” An old, yet tall and stern looking man stood from his golden platted chair and looked around.

 

“I told Prince Chanyeol to be here before sunset. The sun is setting already. If he had not arrived here any time by now we have no choice but to start the ceremony without him opening it. We cannot postpone it any longer. Some of our people came early even before afternoon for the Matchmaking event… we will lose credibility if we prolong it.” His attendant said in a monotonous tone.

 

“He should be here!”

 

Just then they heard shouts from the crowd below them. The old man looked at the source of the sound and saw 2 fairies, one with striking, silver wings pulling a fairy with ugly, grey platted wings away from the circle of fairies. The old man wasn’t shocked; he was used to these kinds of events. With a whisk of his finger, the guards flew to the 2 fairies who are attempting to run away.

 

"This shouldn't have happened when your son came earlier."

The man whispered to the aged woman beside him.

 

 

 

 

 

“Baekhyun! Where are you taking us! Baekhyun!” Luhan shouts as Baekhyun’s wings fluttered in an angry pace yet graceful either way.

 

“What do you think? I’m running away! And I’m taking you with me!” Baekhyun shouts, without looking behind him.

 

“You’re gonna have us killed! Great seas! Baekhyun!”

 

Luhan was frantic. He can’t let Baekhyun run away but neither can he stop for they might receive punishment for running away in such a sacred event.

 

Baekhyun was looking around; he planned this days ago and was sure he can run away from Pyraphos successfully. Finally, he reached the corner he knew very well, fluttering his wings faster, he turned to his right and bumped into something hard

 

Or soft.

 

Baekhyun fell backwards with Luhan catching his back. Rubbing his head, he looked at the man he bumped with and he was greeted with shiny, scarlet eyes.

 

“Watch where you’re going!”

A/N:

 


School is near. I have to update twice or thrice a day. I'll try! I can't promise I'm sorry but still expect updates! I wasn't able to update my other stories too because I'm busy but I'll do my best. ^^