iii. Pain

Loving in Triangles

Soojung wakes up to the ringing of her alarm, she shuts it down and looks at the figure next to her. Jinri is still sleeping soundly, she chuckles to herself and carefully gets off the bed as she walks over to the bathroom. After washing her face and brushing her teeth, she walks over to the balcony and looks at the view of the beach. How I wish Jongin was here to see all this.

She flinches as the electronic device in her palm vibrates, she picks it up and her voice melts into the ears of the caller as she greets the latter with a good morning and an I miss you.

Soojung asks, "Are you eating well? Are you doing okay?" Each question fills up with pure concern and worry, she knows how clumsy and unorganized Jongin can get. She is pretty sure that their apartment is already turned upside down as she hears the man mumbling a string of curses.

She looks upon the view and admits that it would be better if he were to be by her side. Soojung turns her head as she hears Jinri tossing and turning on the bed. Before she hangs up on him, she whispers, "I love you, Jongin-ah."

Jinri slowly gets up and looks around, still in daze. She looks over to Soojung, "What time is it?"

She looks at her phone, "Half past eight."

Jinri whines, why did she get up so early, she wonders. Soojung shakes her head as she sits at the corner of the bed, "Come on, let's go for a walk and have breakfast lazy bum!"

Jinri nods her head, "Okay, five minutes."

Soojung shakes her head, pouting, "No, now! Get your off this bed and let's go have fun!"

Jinri rubs her eyes and scowls, "I really hate Jongin and the effect he has on you."

Soojung hits the brunette in front of her lightly, "He doesn't have an effect on me."

She juts her tongue out and replies, "Oh please! We all know the both of you are head over heels for each other. Plus, who in the world calls his wife early in the morning when she's away? That is unless, you have kids at home and he doesn't know how to handle them."

Soojung shakes her head and goes to Jinri, dragging her from the bed. She says, "Shut your trap and go get ready, lazy ."

The lady laughs, "It's so fun to tease you, Soojung!"

She nods her head, "Whatever, Jinri. As much as you are enjoying this, I am hungry and you do not want to make a hungry woman mad," slapping Jinri's as she pushes her into the bathroom.

Jinri finishes prepping herself to see Soojung dozing off at the couch, she shakes her head and walks over to the figure on the couch. She pokes her lightly, "Jjung-ah, I thought you were hungry."

Soojung stirs and hums, "What took you so long?" as her stomach rumbles a tornado. She taps on it and says, "I'll stuff you soon, don't you worry."

Jinri links her arms with Soojung and asks, "Shall we get going?"

- - - - - -

His phone vibrates in his pocket in the middle of the meeting, he shifts in his place and slowly fishes out his phone.

Jonginnie! About our lunch date, I don't think I can make it. What was so important that you needed to see me for? ㅡ N.

Jongin kicks the table, inwardly groaning as he cusses. Sehun stops the presentation, he looks at Jongin and clears his throat. Jongin looks up from under the table and waves his hands, "It's nothing, continue on about making a commercial with families and real life stories."

Sehun raises a brow but ignores the latter and continues with his presentation, ending it. The board of directors give him a round of applause, he bows and works up a smile at the corner of his lips. Mr. Oh, his father and sole owner of the company walks over to his son, tapping his shoulder, "You did good, son. You did good."

The meeting room empties itself, Sehun shuts down his laptop and asks, "What's with you? You seem to have finally lost it."

Jongin looks at his best friend with a bitter smile, "It's not easy, huh?"

Sehun furrows his brows, "Depends on what you're implying," he answers as he keeps away his belongings and sits down.

The elder exhales a long, exasperated sigh as he leans in the chair further. His fingers pinches his temples, trying to flex his muscles. Jongin looks at Sehun and asks, "What's your call?"

Sehun chuckles dryly, "Ah, great question. Honestly, the answer is obviousㅡ I would have to stick to Jinri. Can't stain the company's good image, can we?"

Jongin nods his head, "What happens to Yixing then?"

The younger takes his things and stands up, "Forgotten, of course. You'll come to learn that you can't choose someone you like and honestly, you can't be too sorry about it. You don't control your feelings like you control money. Sorry doesn't fix anything, action does and I'm going to Jeju tonight."

Jongin replies, "Wow, you sound a lot like Kyungsoo now."

Sehun walks over to the door, he reminds, "Soojung loves you and I know you love her, then there's Naeun and I really don't know what you feel with her but I just hope you'll stop loving in triangles."

Jongin rolls his eyes and retorts, "Speak for yourself, Oh Sehun."

He reaches for the door knob before his lips curl into a smirk, "I am, Jongin. I am and I'm starting to question why I did love in triangles." The door clicks as it closes, leaving Jongin in the hollow room. The sigh that escapes through his lips echoes throughout the room. Jongin lets out a growl of frustration, he remembers back the text earlier. He dashes out the room and hits almost everyone that stands in his way.

His fingers grip the steering wheel hard enough to leave a print and his knuckles turning white. He abruptly brakes in front of a white building, the ever so famous hospital of Seoul. Her workplace.

Jongin gets out of his convertible, slamming the door shut. He didn't care if he looked crazy storming in the obstetrics and gynaecology department. He wants to get it over with, Better late than never, he thought.

He walks over to the counter and asks, "Is Dr. Son currently in?"

The nurse in-charge looks at him, gulping as she indulges in his features which is something Jongin was used to. He had no idea how or even why his presence could bring eyes oogling over him. She nods her head, "She is, but currently tending to a patient. Would you like me to page her?"

Jongin nods his head, "That'd be great."

After what seems like a whole of ten minutes, Naeun finally walks out in her pristine white coat with her glasses and a big smile on her face. Jongin shakes his head, "Why do you wear that stupid, big glasses?"

She chuckles as she wears it off, placing it in the pocket of her coat. She answers, "You gave it to me, that's why I wear it. What brings you here though?" ushering him to walk with her.

Jongin follows her steps, "I- I got something to tell you. You know any place private here?"

Naeun looks at the watch wrapped around her wrist, a gift from Jongin as well. She nods her head, "Well, I have ten minutes to spare so maybe the rooftop?"

He nods his head, "Great, lead the way," as he motions with his hand. Naeun chuckles as she shakes her head, turning to the left and leading the both of them to the stairs.

Jongin looks at the woman in front of him as the both of them arrives at the rooftop. Naeun smiles and asks, "What is so important that you even came to see me here at work?"

Jongin rubs his nape, "I'm not good with words, and you know thatㅡ"

Naeun interrupts, "Ever since we were small! You'd always stutter every time you had to introduce yourself. It was so cute!" pinching his cheeks.

Jongin rubs it and says, "Look, Naeun... I need you to listen to me, really well. What I'm about to tell you isn't pretty or cute like every other time I'm shy or scared. It's not like any of those times when we were little."

Naeun takes a step back from the man in front of her, she flinches, "You're scaring me, Jongin."

Jongin grabs her wrist and pulls her a step closer. He caresses her cheeks, smiling, "Don't be, I'm not going to hurt you."

Her shoulders drop, she looks at him with tender and care. Jongin looks away, he sighs, "We have to stop," he whispers, barely audible to her ears but she hears it perfectly.

Her lips curl to a smile, she knows it was coming any other day. The way Jongin avoided her and his replies that slowly became empty, the warmth long gone. She pulls his chin, forcing him to look at her, she replies, "I'm sorry."

He furrows his brows, "Why are you sorry?"

Naeun lets go of her grip, she chuckles dryly, "I shouldn't have approached you that day. It was a mistake, yet it felt so right seeing you after years of being away. You, you were happy too. As if you were glad to see me and I was delighted by that fact but then she came to your side and I got the picture. Of course you were married, why wouldn't you be? Of course you had your own family, why wouldn't you be? Maybe, being the selfish one, I just wanted to have a piece of you too. Even if it meant stealing someone's husband. I never understood why you agreed though. Was it out of pity, Jongin?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I don't know, I don't know why I agreed but maybe, it was because of that little promise we made. That we'd remember each other and be back in each other's arms again, one fine day. I suppose you were far too ambitious and I was far too unorganized. I followed where the wind blows and met her, forgetting you in the process."

Naeun nods her head, "Did she find out? Is that why you're calling it off now?"

Jongin shakes his head, "No, but she will. I just don't want to inflict her with any pain. You don't inflict pain to people you love."

She blinks back the tears in her eyes, You never loved me then. Naeun looks at the watch and says, "Well, I've got a patient to tend to. I- I'm sorry," walking away.

Jongin picks up his phone as it rings, "Hello?"


author's note:

hello my dear delights! yes, i shall call my readers as delight from now on because my u/n depicts of happiness & delight. (/shot.) this is the first time ever i'm leaving a note in my updates (and probably the last.) haha. idr write author notes in my updates tbh, ever. but this is a special case, why?

i just felt the urge to replyㅡ react, on your comments. some of you even guessed the events of what's bound to happen in the story and being a spoiler that i am, i can tell you that your guesses are partially true. not all, but some. to that, i applaud. and the thing about kyungsoo's character; you know that one friend you have who acts like a real but s/he usually ends up right? yeah, kyungsoo is that kind of friend. i got so sick and tired of kyungsoo being the less dominant and/or not daring to speak up or anything in line of that persona. 'cause for me, soo can also be really hot & y masculine albeit his small figure. and i just can't over get this one line my boyfriend always tell me; "you may be small, but you're the boss." and to answer you earlier, the story is on a fast pace because it'll be a short one. perhaps only 10 chapters. do tell me if you think that it is progressing waay too fast and if ever, things are unclear. ㅡ lana. Xx