Princess & the Commoner

Piano

Princess & the Commoner

 

Dara walked around a white grand piano, her fingers trailing it's edges. With every look, every touch, every breathe, every sigh... another painful memory lit in her tortured mind, ripping her torn heart even more. Every second was so painful she could barely take another step. But gracefully, as she always has been and always will be, she finished her round and took a seat. Slowly lifting up the cover, her eyes glued at the white keyboard, the first tear finally sliding down her pale cheek. Taking a deep breathe in, she placed her long and slender fingers on the keyboard and started playing.

Oppa...

She wouldn't have learned how to play the piano if she had never met him. Like yesterday, Dara could remember how five years old him had climbed to sit next to her and shoved how to play a simple melody when she had just been pressing the keys, mindlessly, coming up with her own, terrible melodies. But whatever he played was so beautiful. She wanted to learn it too, she wanted to learn how to make love to a piano. Just like someone had told her.


"Dara, I will show you what I learned today" his bright voice would call out.


"Okay, teach me too" she would always answer, excited and happy.

Like a beautiful dream Dara would always remember how they became friends, played hide and seek, tag and even football. She would always get scolded by her mother for being too tomboyish and then she would make him play tea parties with her. He'd get bored and complain but still play until she would get tired.

He always protected her from bullies and mean boys at school. Always helped her to do her homework and study well for every single exam. He'd always carry her bag, piggyback her, listen to her troubles, support her, always stay by her side and make her smile. Only his laughter could make her feel at ease and safe, only his touch could make her heart flutter in excitement and anticipation. Only his kiss... only his kiss could make her feel alive.

And now when he wasn't around anymore she felt dead.


 

Dara stopped playing, her fingers still resting on the white keys and trembling. She should have stopped him. No. She could have. But she didn't, she didn't dare to take away his happiness. How could she stop him from hanging around with his friends he cared about so much? Even when it was dangerous. She wanted him to be happy more than she wanted to live on herself.

If only she could have, she would have given her own life to save him. But she wasn't even there when he took his last breathe. She was late. Late. Her love faded into thin air and disappeared from her life. That's when she stopped smiling and started living on like a ghost, a simple shell of a human. It's been years, months, minutes and seconds but she found it impossible to get over, her pain and sorrow only growing stronger with each day passing by. She knew she should move on but she just simply couldn't.

The window was open and bright sunlight seeped in, throwing a long shadow on the wall. White curtains fluttered in the gentle wind, filling the room with quiet and relaxing rustling. She lied her head on the piano keys, causing a loud heart ripping sound echo in the room. Tears flowing from her eyes, like on that day. She bit her lips tightly together, not letting out a single sound. She was afraid he would hear, she was afraid wind would take her helpless cries to the sky. She didn't want heaven to see her in this state, it would be too embarrassing.

Dara closed her eyes imagining him there, sitting beside herself. He'd smile his gentle smile and caress her back with his soft and warm hand. He'd tell her not to cry. He'd tell her to live on and forget. He'd frown seeing her in so much pain and hurt himself. How much she missed his voice, his warm touch, his soft kiss, his embrace, him. But gone is gone. On a dark small alley, lying on the cold cement he had bled to death and taken his last breathe. He had left her, forever. And never again, will she see his loving face.

"Are you okay?"


"No" Dara answered, her voice wavering.


"Can I do something to help you?"


"Yes, kill me" she grunted, in so much pain she couldn't even open her eyes and raise up her head. But it's not like she believed anyone was there, it must have been her imagination.


"There must be another way to get over the problem..." The voice sounded stunned.


"Then, can you bring someone to life?"


"I'm here to tune this piano. I can't do miracles, I'm sorry."

Dara quickly raised her head up and blinked at the man in white collar shirt and light gray college pants, he took off his cap and bowed slightly. Wide eyed she stared at his strange clothes combination, not knowing what to say.


"I'm very sorry" he flashed a lopsided but charming smile. "I was asked to come in the morning but I overslept" he put his cap back on. "It will take me just a minute." He stuck his hand in the pocket of his pants and took out a white hanky, then handing it to Dara "Here, you can have this."


"Th-thanks..." she mumbled, lowering her eyes in embarrassment.


"Now, if you will excuse me, I need to tune this baby" his voice playful like the waves of the sea sounded somewhat familiar, just faintly yet beautifully. The man walked past Dara and lifted up the lid of the grand piano. Something about his whole presence was incredibly familiar and gentle, very lovable.

Dara just stared at him tune the piano, with a slight frown on his face. Everything about him was so charming and eye catching. After doing the tuning he took a white cloth from the back pocket of his pants and wiped his hands on it. Leisurely he sat on the chair and placed his hands on the keys, moving them smoothly as he played a completely new melody for Dara to hear. She gasped quietly, her heart coming alive. He played so well it was not real and Dara thought he must be her imagination. Maybe she was finally going crazy?

"Sounds great, huh?" The man chuckled glancing at her, his dark eyes lit up and his face brightened.


"Very..." She was mesmerized by his alluring eyes.


"Beautiful" Ji Yong smirked playfully and Dara couldn't tell what he meant. He was staring at her so intensely she blushed a little.


"Dara, here you are!" An older woman walked in the room. "Oh, Kwon Ji Yong, you are here?" She stopped next to Dara. "It's so hard to catch you, finally I am able to see your handsome face!" She clasped her hands together, a wide smile spreading on her lips.


"Ma'm, you are flattering me" a crafty smirk on his lips, Ji Yong lifted his cap off his head as he stood up and bowed slightly.


"Stay for tea, will you?"
"I'm a little busy" Ji Yong flashed a friendly smile, his perfect row of teeth coming into view.


"No, I insist. How about milk and cookies?"

Dara gave her mother a weird look but Ji Yong just laughed heartily. His laughter sounded like the waves of the sea hitting the shore or wind playing in the trees, in other words: relaxing and contagious.

"Okay, but for a very short while."


"Yah" The older woman tugged Dara's sleeve. "Come on, don't bother him while he is working."


"I wasn't..." Dara started to say with hoarse voice.


"Did you cry again? Aish, how long are you going to think about that good for nothing gangster?"


"He wasn't..." Dara frowned.


"Tsk, tsk. Always ruining the blind dates I set for you. Why are you still home, eh?"


"I'll go prepare the tea, mother" Dara said trough gritted teeth.

Once more her eyes, that seemed to catch on fire, flicked at Ji Yong but he wasn't paying attention to their discussion, he was busy with the grand piano as if it was the only thing he cared about in this house. Yet, seeing his profile eased her anger a little. Noticing this the elder woman smiled smugly.


"Dara!"


"What is it?" she walked out to the balcony and leaned over the railing. Her mother was gardening.


"Ji Yong just called me saying he left something behind. Could you go look for it in the music room and take it to his office?"


"Ask someone else to do it" Dara groaned.


"You need to visit the gallery today, anyway."


"No I don't."


"Young woman, I put a lot of money into it just because you wanted to. Take responsibility!"


Dara frowned, she wasn't in the mood to do paper work today. Not on his memorial day.


"And don't even think about going to his grave" her mother ordered. "You are such a wreck every time you go..."

Irritated, without another word Dara walked back in her room and slammed the balcony's door shut. Furious, she went trough her wardrobe and took out a simple, baby blue dress, quickly slipping into it and a pair of stilettos. Not bothering to do anything to her hair she left it open, he liked it like that, anyway. She added a little make up before going to the music room and walking around the piano. This was the first time she thought about someone else while walking around it.

There it was, his cellphone had fallen out of his pocket. Dara grabbed it and slipped in her bag but before leaving she couldn't resist and play another composition, now that the piano had been tuned. She has been playing for so long she had no difficulties to remember and play the piece Yong Hwan had played earlier today. She liked the song and thought maybe she could ask for the sheet music, now that she was going to meet him anyway.

Thirty minutes later Dara parked her car in front of Ji Yong's office. She received the address from her mother and for a second suspected this was another blind date set up because the office was in the center of the city. To Dara's surprise it was a piano store, very expensive looking one. By the looks of the man this morning, she didn't really expect him to be rich.

The doorbell chimed when Dara walked in and a young woman approached her with a friendly smile on her face, asking if she needed any help. Dara looked around, strange feeling striking her. Everything was white, walls, floor, ceiling and shelves, even the uniform of the saleslady. The black grand piano caught her eye, in a completely white shop it stuck out like an eyesore.

"Excuse me?"


"Ah, yes" Dara turned to look at the saleslady with a blank face. It's not that she was rude, she just didn't like to smile. "I came to look for Kwon Ji Yong."


"And may I hear the reason?"


"Why? That is none of your business" Dara said arrogantly, offended by the way some saleslady was prying into her business.


"I'm sorry" the saleslady said a little sourly. "A lot of people come to look for him. If it's about autographs or concert offers, he is busy."


Dara blinked, not understanding what the lady was talking about now. "No, I brought his phone" Dara took out Ji Yong's phone and showed it to the lady.


"Oh" she was convinced in an instant "Yes, this way please" and led Dara trough the back door on the second floor, stopping in front of a certain door.


"Come in" Ji Yong's brisk voice answered after the saleslady had knocked on his door.

He was standing in front of the mirror, in a completely white suit, fixing his black tie. Dara was taken aback by the sight of him, so different from this morning. And his jet black hair was styled very well, making his appearance even more charming. White complimenting everything in him he looked splendid, as perfect as a human being could.

"Dara sshi" a smile appeared on his well sculptured lips. "I've been waiting for you." The way he said it sounded as if he had been waiting his whole life.


"Here is your phone" Dara breathed out, overwhelmed by the feeling she was getting upon seeing and hearing him. She needed to leave, now. Before her heart would skip a beat, but it did already, anyway.


"Wait!" Ji Yong walked towards her when she took a step back. "I know this is rude and crazy, but could you give me a ride?"


"A ride?" Dara asked in surprise.


"It's just that my little brother borrowed my car without telling me and I am already running late. How can I be late from my own concert, crazy huh? By the way, you can stay and listen if you are interested."

Dara got this feeling the guy liked to talk a lot by the way how fast yet clear he was speaking. And his voice was smooth like chocolate that has melted in your mouth. Sweet and addicting.

"A concert?"


"Oh, you don't know me?" Ji Yong laughed in delight. "How refreshing" he whispered. "Let's go then, I want to hear your opinion about my music. You will be my first VIP guest, I don't usually accept any."


 

He grabbed Dara's hand, as if afraid she would run away, and lead her out. She just stared at his wide back and broad shoulders in surprise. Never expecting such intimate contact. Come to think of it, there were only two people who had ever held her hand. Her oppa... and someone else she could barely remember.

"Your car?"


"There" she pointed at her silver Mercedes.


"Splendid, can I drive?"


"Uh, sure..." Dara stared at his handsome and very kind face, not able to take her eyes off him. His eyes seemed to catch her every time she made the mistake and looked into them.

Dressed in all white and bright afternoon sun kissing his profile, he looked like an angel. She haded him the keys but couldn't follow him simply because her whole body remained frozen. She has never been driven around by anyone else except... and if she went to the concert she wouldn't make it to his grave... But suddenly a gust of wind pushed her back, encouraging her to finally take a step forward.

"Is there a problem?" Ji Yong asked, sticking his head out from the open car window. "I am sorry to say this but I am in a real big hurry" His smile was gentle, like his whole profile.


"Yes, I am sorry" Dara hurried to the car and got in, on the front seat. She watched his hands move as he started the car and changed the gear, his fingers were long and slender, his nails short and well taken care of. Hands of a pianist.

"By the way, did you like the piece I played this morning on your grand piano?"

Ji Yong suddenly asked, glancing at Dara. She snapped from her stare and looked him in the eye, immediately getting mesmerized by his brown eyes with a tint of green in them.


"Yes" she whispered. "Could you give me the sheet music for it?"


"I'm sorry, I can't do that" Ji Yong chuckled, mysterious light glinting in his eyes.


"Why not?"


"Because..." he couldn't keep in that chuckle. "I don't have any."


"Then who... who composed it?" Dara asked slowly.


"Well... I kind of did."


Dara just stared at his side profile.


"It's just something I came up with this morning. But in the end, it came out pretty well, huh? I was thinking I should work on it later."


She didn't know what to say. He must be a genius.

Dara stood behind the curtain and looked at the audience with wide open eyes. The concert hall was full, reporters and TV crews sitting in the front rows. It's true that for a long time she hadn't followed the music industry but for someone so popular, international and talented as Ji Yong to slip her attention, it was strange. Besides, why would such a busy and popular man come to tune her grand piano and how long had he been doing it, anyway?

She has never heard anyone play so well, with so much feeling and character to his music. Dara was swept away by his amazing talent and she couldn't take her eyes off his face the whole time he was playing. He looked happy, like there was nothing else to his life than playing the piano. And just before finishing, his eyes darted at her and he winked, a crafty smile lingering on his lips. He was up to something, she could tell.

"For you" he mouthed and for some strange reasons she could read his lips so well.


"Me?" Dara pointed at herself, looking confused.


Ji Yong chuckled, his finger sliding over the piano keys. He stared to play another song, an extra even he, himself, didn't know would be added. The audience sighed in awe upon hearing the beautiful melody, only he was able to make come true. Dara couldn't explain why it sounded so familiar. A faint smile lingered on her lips for a short moment but he caught it. She finally smiled.

"How was it?" Ji Yong asked as soon as he walked off the stage. "Come." He tugged Dara along to his dressing room.


"Good" she answered quietly, glancing at her watch. It was getting late.


"No, it was amazing, you are just too shy to praise me, right?" Ji Yong chuckled. He suddenly spun around, his playful eyes landing on Dara. "So, are you falling in love with me yet?"


"You are annoying" Dara wrinkled her nose. "I am leaving."


"See you again" Ji Yong laughed. Making her angry was still as fun as ever.


"I hope not" Dara mumbled. What a player.


A little boy stopped next to a grand piano, his eyes fixed on the little girl who was trying to play something on it. He couldn't tell what, she was so terrible at playing.

 

"Hey" he called out softly and she turned to look at him with her big beautiful eyes.

 

"You are playing it wrong" he smirked.

 

"No, it can't be played wrong. This is my own music" the girl laughed brightly, sticking her tongue at him.

 

"Yeah, but..." the boy scratched the back of his head. "It's like arguing with the piano."

 

The girl looked at him dully. "Then can you play better?"

 

"Sure" the boy smiled brightly. "I can make love to the piano."

 

"What does that mean?" She asked, confused.

 

"Let me show you" he climbed to sit next to her, his small fingers soon running over the white and black keys like he was an expert. The girl gasped in surprise, whatever he played sounded so beautiful, capturing her heart like nothing else ever had.

 

"Wow, you are so good" she clapped her hands, staring at him in awe.

 

"Yup, everyone says I am a genius" the boy nodded.

 

"What does a genius mean?"

 

"I don't know" he shrugged.

 

They stared at each other in silence.

 

"My oppa can play very well too. I'll ask him to teach me!"

 

"I have a little brother" the boy said with excitement.

 

"But oppa is not my brother" the girl frowned. "I am going to marry him when I grow older."


The boy wrinkled his nose. "Who wants to marry a girl? Yuck!"

 

"Then will you marry a piano" the girl let out an evil laughter.

 

"Rather than a girl" the boy mumbled, clearly offended.

 

"Who are you anyway?"

 

"Oh, my father came to tune your piano, I came to help him" the boy stated proudly.

 

"So you are just a commoner?" the girl asked with curiosity.

 

The little boy looked at her sourly. "So what?"

 

"Nothing" she shrugged. "Then I shouldn't be playing with you."

 

"Tsh" the boy suddenly grabbed her hand.

 

"Yah let go. Your hand is dirty."

 

"It's not. Besides, you know..." he looked at her conceitedly. "When I become really famous you can brag to your friends you have held my hand" he scoffed, letting go of her.

 

"Owww" She rubbed her hand, her eyes getting teary. "I'll tell oppa to beat you up."

 

"I'll be waiting" the boy chuckled. "Go away, you will be in the way when we start tuning the piano."

 

"No, this is my house. I can be here if I want!"

 

"So annoying" the boy complained. "You are ugly."

 

"I'm not."

 

"You are, like a frog."

 

"I hate you" the girl pouted and jumped off the chair. "Fine, I'll leave but beware of my oppa" she threatened. "He is really strong."

 

"And I am stronger" the boy smirked. "Now shoo shoo, little miss frog."

 

"Idiot" the girl stuck her tongue at the boy before stomping away. He stuck his tongue at her back, hoping they would never meet again.


Ji Yong walked in the music room early in the morning, coming to tune the piano again. He had done it for years after his father's death and the old lady was so nice, he couldn't just stop coming, even though he had become extremely busy.

To his surprise Dara was there. Her crossed arms resting on the keyboard lid and her face buried in her arms she was sleeping, judging by her soft breathing. He approached her with silent steps and sat beside her, letting out a deep sigh. She must have forgotten about him but all these years she had been lingering in his memory, refusing to fade. It's not that he had talked to her much, but once in a while he had seen her from the side. It's not like he had been hung up on her all these years, it's just that he didn't seem to fall in love with anyone else.

When they were small, they sometimes played together but his father would always scold him for getting too close to someone from different layer of the society. Dara's mother again, never seemed to care even though he was from a poor family. She often gave him cookies and milk always talking to him about something silly, making him laugh, and that's why he liked her so much in the past and now too.

Then he had left to study abroad and when he came back, Dara had grown up too, totally forgetting about him. They bumped into each other a couple of times but she kept ignoring him like he was air. Ji Yong was sure she'd happily marry her oppa, like she kept saying when she was little. They looked so happy together. But... Things don't always turn out like planned. When he left again, for his concert tour, he never expected to find her in such a bad state when he'd come back again.

Dara stirred in her sleep, slowly waking up. Her eyes opened and when she saw Ji Yong smile at her she quickly sat up, in surprise. His smile turned into a frown when he saw her red and swollen eyes. When will she stop crying? How to make her smile again? How to bring her to life?


"Do you want me to teach you that song?" he asked.


"Uh" Dara rubbed her eyes. "Whatever" she said, still a little startled by his presence.


"Very well then" Ji Yong flashed her a bright smile. "Let me teach you how to make love to a piano."


"Okay, teach me how to make love" Suddenly Dara grew quiet. "I mean" her cheeks flustered.


Ji Yong chuckled.


"You like doing that, huh?"


"And you love when I do it?" he winked. "Riiight?"


Again, a faint smile lingered on her lips. True, his smile was crooked and his eyes lit up beautifully every time he chuckled. There was something charming about it.

 

"Riiight" Dara whispered turning away from him to hide her smile. But... why is it that Ji Yong's words sounded so familiar... Could it be? She turned to look at him with wide open eyes while his eyes were closed as he played, beautifully like always.

That little boy... who made her fall in love with the piano. And that was, her first love. Even before she really fell for her oppa, she had fallen...

"Where did you disappear to for so many years?"


"What?" Ji Yong stopped playing and slowly turned to look at her. "What do you mean?" His brows arched, his heartbeats speeding up.


"Commoner... So you really did marry the piano." She uttered a soft laughter and seeing her eyes turn into crescent shapes he blushed. Just like he always had. So making him blush, was still as fun as ever.

 

"Well" Ji Yong smiled smugly, his elbow nudging her side. "I was thinking I might marry a girl too."