Chapter 12 - The Failed Break-up

A Complicated Regard

Taehyung awoke that morning feeling famished. He knew he hadn’t eaten dinner the previous night and when his family members came up to inform him of food, he just brushed them away saying that he wasn’t hungry. But all his weariness and ravenous hunger washed away when saw the sleeping ghost beside him on the bed.

His body was still cold and his face was still as white as snow. But Taehyung didn’t focus on that. Instead, he focused on how pretty Jungkook’s face looked when he slept. As if he didn’t look angelic enough, when Jungkook slept, his whole face calmed down in peace, like an angel in his nirvana. His pink lips lay on a flat line but the natural puffiness of the lips made it look like he was pouting. And his delicate eyelashes batted ever so slightly indicating that he was having a dream. And a silly thought passed him.

Do ghosts have dreams?

 

Jungkook’s face suddenly twitched and his eyelids batted inconsistently. Taehyung watched his heavy eyelids lift only to reveal those sparkling eyes.

“Good morning,” Taehyung wished with a warm smile, something that completely contradicted Jungkook’s body temperature. Jungkook’s brows furrowed to catch hold of the current situation, which he did in the next second.

“Good morning,” he wished back and returned the smile. No other words were exchanged. Just the simple ‘good morning’ but the both of them didn’t have to say anything else.

 

Aejin watched her brother eating his breakfast toast slowly, as if he were so happy with his life that nothing else mattered. Now, being the only sister and sibling of Taehyung, she noticed a few things. (Even though she chose to ignore him or most of the time)

The first thing she noticed was the pace of which Taehyung was eating. It was an everyday routine for Taehyung to wake up late, rush his uniform on and wolf down his breakfast in the last minute before running out of the house shouting random ‘bye mom’, ‘bye dad’ and ‘bye noona’. But he wasn’t following the routine that day. If at all, Taehyung was early by an hour.

Second. Taehyung’s eyes were a little puffy but there was a peaceful touch to it. He looked so calm and at peace. The puffiness of the eyes was obvious signs of him crying but what was the reason? And if he had cried, why the heck was he looking so tranquil?

Third. Taehyung frequently smiled at nothing. Yes, Aejin knew he was weird and… ‘unique’ but she was a little freaked out when her only brother randomly flicked his head towards his right as if he could hear something inaudible and began to smile so cheerfully like he had just heard the funniest joke in the history of mankind, acting like his sister wasn’t even in the room. He was acting weird. No wait, he’s always weird. But this weird was different.

Putting together the equation together – slow movements, peacefulness and tranquility of behavior, puffy eyes, random movements and giggles, Aejin came up with the only possible conclusion.

“Tae-ah,” she asked, her voice laced with genuine concern which caught even Taehyung off guard based on his surprised reaction. “Are you high?”

 

 

Jungkook spluttered on his own immaterial saliva and laughed loudly, clutching onto his stomach until it hurt. Taehyung, meanwhile, tried to convince that he wasn’t on drugs.

“What the heck, noona?” he looked perplexed. “Are you joking? I’m not taking any drugs! Why the hell would you even say that?” He shot the invisible Jungkook, only visible in his eyes, a look which said ‘it’s not funny’ and continued to retort at the ridiculousness of what his sister had just stated.

 

“Okay, okay,” Aejin said, lifting her hands up in surrender. “You were acting particularly weird, that’s all. I was just curious,” she said and finished her cereal. She stood up and walked to the kitchen sink and placed her bowl in it. “You seem happier, but your swollen eyes say otherwise, so I was just curious.”

Taehyung reached his fingers for the bags under his eyes. They seemed alright to him. But then again, who was he kidding. He did cry the previous night even after Jungkook had fallen asleep. “Did you break up with Hoseok or something?” Aejin interrupted his train of thoughts.

 

“Huh?” Taehyung asked, looking back at Aejin, not very brightly. “I said did you break up with Hoseok?” Aejin repeated making Taehyung cringe slightly. Even Jungkook stopped laughing a few moments back and he was now waiting for Taehyung’s answer. Would Taehyung break up with Hoseok just so he would be with Jungkook even though he wasn’t real? Even though he only existed only to Taehyung?

Taehyung sure took his time to answer.

“I intend to do that today,” he said, his voice hardly heard by Aejin but the ghost heard it; loud and clear. And happiness filled his chest making his eyes tear up again. But it soon disappeared, being replaced by guilt.

 

 

“What’s with that face?” Taehyung asked as he made his way to the bus stop. He was now in his school uniform which he made Jungkook swap into as well. His hands clung onto the straps of his bag, making him look like an innocent eight year old on his first day to school and the fact that he was skipping a little didn’t help either. Also, the ludicrous neon colored hair on his head wasn’t very reassuring of his actual age.

Jungkook pouted unknowingly. He didn’t know that he had on a frown ever since they left the house. But he wasn’t surprised when Taehyung asked him this because he had been in deep thought the entire time.

“Is it really alright?” he asked with the utmost concern and guilt. “I am just causing you trouble after trouble. I mean you can’t break up with Hoseok just because of an inanimate thing like me. I don’t deserve you. You’re alive and I’m…”

Taehyung stopped right as he reached the stop and sighed, not in weariness but because of the familiarity of what the ghost was saying. “Jungkook,” he said, making the ghost stop his rambling. “Stop saying that. You’re not trouble at all.”

“But…”

“I told you already. I love you. Even if you’re not alive, I love you. I love you even though we never met when you were alive. And I’ll love you even if you disappear tomorrow. Heck, I’ll continue loving you even if you disappear right now.”

Jungkook bit his lower lip, his face still frowning in pain and guilt.

“That’s why I’m breaking up with Hoseok hyung. It’s fair that I do. I don’t want to cheat on him even though…” Taehyung wanted to complete the sentence but he stopped because it sounded offensive. You’re technically not real.

But Jungkook understood the silence. It didn’t hurt any less considering the fact that Taehyung didn’t speak it out. “Okay,” he finally said as the bus stopped right on the side of the road, its doors pulling apart with a hiss. “Okay,” Taehyung repeated and gave him a small smile as he grabbed hold of the handle bars and pulled himself into the vehicle.

 

 

“I’ll need your support, Jungkook,” Taehyung whispered after he sat on an empty seat in the deserted, if not for the six students in the front, bus. “When I face Hoseok hyung. I don’t think I can do it alone.” Jungkook placed his cold hands on Taehyung’s and squeezed it reassuringly. “I’ll be right beside you, hyung,” he said and let guilt disappear completely from his system.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jin paced beside Yoongi on their way to the student council room. When they met in the hallway, Yoongi had informed that he wanted to meet with the president for extra-curricular stuff so he decided to accompany Jin to the council room for a quick chat with the president. On their way, they spoke casually, making light jokes in between and all the while, shared serious topics about the school’s administration.

 

“So,” Yoongi asked after their heated topic of better ways to increase students in the library. “What’s the deal with you and Namjoon? You seem even more attached than usual. And you haven’t been hanging out with us as often during lunch.” Jin blushed furiously, contemplating to reveal yet if they were indeed a couple.

“Umm,” Jin replied gulping. “We are busy with school work,” he said, deciding to keep it a secret for a few more days. Yoongi smirked. “You know you’re not fooling anyone, hyung,” he said and grabbed the door handles of the door which led to the esteemed Student Council room. Jin just chuckled nervously and walked in when Yoongi opened the doors for him like a gentleman. A very mischievous and lazy gentleman, he quickly adds, feeling bad of even entertaining the thought.

 

Jin’s footsteps came to a standstill when he saw something very displeasing. What he saw was Namjoon. Nothing displeasing there. But beside him was the blonde haired flower boy Youngjae sitting a little too close for Jin’s comfort.

“Oh,” Namjoon said and stood up to greet the vice president and Yoongi. “Good morning hyung,” he wished Jin and shot a tiny wink at his other half which went unnoticed by Yoongi. Then Namjoon turned to Yoongi. “What brings you here, Suga hyung?” he asked after a “hi”.

 

 

The two men decided to go and chat in the corner and leave the two (secret) rivals alone. “What are you doing here?” Jin asked flatly, walking up to his desk. Youngjae sat on the president’s seat and leaned back on it, not answering Jin’s question directly. “Good morning to you too Jin,” he replied.

Jin wasn’t affected by the sudden loss of honorifics but he made it his business to point it out. “Uwah,” he mocked. “No ‘hyung’? Your manners have really degraded, Youngjae-ah.” Youngjae just rolled his eyes in annoyance. Nevertheless, he smirked, allowing Jin to notice the challenge hidden in those annoyingly curved lips.

Seeing those full pink lips plastered on the admittedly handsome face (even though Jin hates his guts, he still admits that Youngjae is handsome), Jin just wanted to high five him, square in the face. With a chair.

 

 

“Students, besides being members of the council, are not allowed here without permission, you know,” Jin stated and pulled out a book from his bag. He placed the bag under the desk and sat down to begin his daily vice-presidential work, not even sparing the boy beside him a look. Youngjae scoffed disrespectfully and replied with ego the size of an elephant. “Who says I didn’t get permission? Namjoon there gave me permission,” he said and pointed at the ivory haired president who was still talking to Yoongi, oblivious to the mini-war of words that had taken place back in his seat.

Jin continued to plaster a big fake smile on his face and looked up at the person next to him. “Youngjae-ah,” he called out sweetly but the venom in the tune was obvious. “You may have always won over me when we were kids but Namjoon is my boyfriend. You can’t come in between, got it?” he said, trying his best to keep up his motherly image.

Youngjae took a deep breath of insolence and cracked his neck. “Answer me this, Jin,” he turned to the eldest in the room. “If he’s your boyfriend, why didn’t he admit it when I asked him before?” Jin knew full well why. It was because they decided it that way, to keep it low for a few days without making a huge announcement about it so he didn’t feel hurt of anything of the sort.

“Well, that’s none of your business, is it?” Jin spat out, still having that scary smile on his adoringly pretty face. Youngjae scoffed again and stood up from the president’s seat causing Jin to leave a mental note to burn the chair and replace it with a new one without anyone’s knowledge. No way was he letting Youngjae’s germs touching Namjoon.

“I guess so,” Youngjae said, not really agreeing to anything. He simply said “see you” after this and made his way out of the room with his hands pocketed neatly in his trouser pockets.

 

 

Namjoon walked back to Jin as Yoongi went out of the room after a “see you later then”. He pecked Jin’s cheeks and asked why he seemed pissed. Jin just smiled and enjoyed the short display of affection. “Just pest problems,” he replied casually and asked what Youngjae had wanted with him.

“Oh, nothing much,” Namjoon shrugged in non chalance and found his seat beside Jin. “He just asked…” he spoke as he was about to sit down but was interrupted by Jin. “I’m sorry but would you mind sitting here for today?” the elder said and offered him his own seat. Namjoon nodded dumbly and continued talking even as he switched the seats.

“He just asked me if I would show him around later on which I declined. I told him to find the class rep or something for it. Then he asked me if you and I were dating. I denied,” Namjoon said and turned to look at Jin’s reaction, hoping to see if he had made the right answer by denying it. But Jin just nodded, indicating for him to continue. “Then he asked some questions about...”

Jin went back to his work but he continued to listen to his boyfriend speak about his encounter with Youngjae. From the simple and mundane way that Namjoon spoke, even an earthworm could figure out that Namjoon was not interested in Youngjae in any way since their first meeting. And Jin had a clear idea of that.

Not to be smug but Jin already knew that before the battle began, Youngjae had already lost.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jimin picked at his lunch uninterestedly. He was all alone in the bench. Namjoon and Jin were busy with their Council members again and Taehyung had pulled Hoseok away up to the roof to ‘talk’. Jimin recalls the look on Taehyung’s face when he called Hoseok that afternoon. He looked serious but calm. Maybe Hoseok did something ty. Maybe that was why Taehyung wanted to talk.

Of course, Jimin only thought of this because he wanted to pry off the thoughts of the main problem in his mind. Min Yoongi.

 

That Min Yoongi was seriously an annoying nut. How dare he steal his first kiss? Jimin whimpered as he chewed his sandwich on the lonely bench. And then he had the balls to kiss him again. TWICE! He swore, he should’ve punched him even harder when he had the chance but his stupid arm only managed a small graze on his stomach.

Jimin continued to chew furiously at his food, thinking about Yoongi and how annoying he was, that he didn’t notice the one and the same person walking up from behind to sit down right beside him. Jimin turned to see the pale boy sitting so casually besides him as if they were best friends with a wide, almost smirk-like, grin on his face.

His mouth being full, Jimin choked on the piece chewed pieces of bread and vegetables and he struggled for anything to drink.

 

 

Yoongi chuckled in amusement to see the younger dying before him. He looks like a chipmunk, he thought before finally handed him his pack of strawberry milk. But as expected, Jimin didn’t accept it. Instead, he reached for his own strawberry milk and chugged it down like it was addictive alcohol.

 

 

Finally washing the deadly sandwich down his throat, Jimin cleared his throat and stood up to leave taking his tray of food along with him. He cursed mentally. When he thought that he was lonely, he didn’t expect Min Friggen Yoongi to come by.

But Yoongi grasped his wrist with those firm hands of his before he could walk away.

“Where do you think you’re going? You haven’t finished your lunch yet,” Yoongi said, raising an eyebrow. Jimin, being the tsundere he was, tried to yank the elder’s hand off but failed embarrassingly. So he spat back even while his face reddened. “I don’t want to sit with you.”

Yoongi pouted a little but managed to keep that smile of his. The sight looked too adorable that even Jimin felt something churning up in his stomach. You wanna punch him, Jimin’s mind led him back to his original feelings, forcing his somersaulting stomach to a minimum. I’m just hungry, his brain theorized and added unnecessary explanations about his unfinished lunch being the reason.

“Sit your back down,” the elder said and tugged him harshly back down on the bench. It didn’t hurt one bit but Jimin was one for theatrics so he let out and “ugh” after which an “Ow, Gosh! I hate you” followed.

 

“Why don’t you leave me alone?” Jimin asked, not even facing the person beside him. By now the other had let go of his wrist but Jimin had dropped the idea to run. I’m just going to get the answer from him, he explained to himself, after that, I’m gone.

Yoongi replied with a pleasurable moan from sinking his teeth into the noodle bread he had bought.

 

Jimin’s face immediately reddened to hear the strange sound. His mind was seriously thinking up of weird images. Like an old man in satisfaction after cracking his bones at the end of the day… Yeah…

 

Yoongi continued to eat in silence, only letting out the occasional moans and grunting as he devoured on the piece of stuffed bread. Jimin finally turned to his companion only to see him eating uncontrollably like a hungry, food depraved child. He rolled his eyes. What a pig!

“Yah!” Jimin said. Yoongi turned to him, his mouth filled with partly chewed food. It was now Yoongi’s turn to look like a chipmunk. But Jimin refrained from comparing the devil to the adorable rodent.

 

Yoongi finally washed down the food with the strawberry milk (which he had secretly gotten for Jimin but shhh!) and turned to Jimin.”You wanna know why I’m following you around?” he asked with a dangerous, almost seductive smirk on his face.

Jimin gulped. He didn’t think he needed to know the answer any more. He’s survived without knowing who the fourteenth president of USA was, he’ll definitely survive without knowing the answer to his question which he regretted he had asked.

 

“No. Nevermind,” he said and tried to walk away again, his face heating up again. “I’d rather go clean the toilets than waste my time with you,” he mumbled, trying to hide the sudden nervousness he felt from seeing Yoongi’s smirk. Damn that kiss!

 

“It’s because I love…” Yoongi spoke suddenly, making Jimin’s ears perk up. Love? Love what? Jimin thought. Yoongi’s smirk grew even wider. “seeing you suffer.”

“Ugh!” Jimin rolled his eyes, “God! You sadist!” He finally stood up and left in a huff.

 

Yoongi bit his lip and smiled as he watched Jimin’s receding back, strutting so fabulously in between the sea of students before disappearing in a corner. “Idiot,” he said but he wasn’t talking about Jimin. He ran his fingers through his silky brown hair and chuckled like a mad man in the middle of the cafeteria.

 

 

 

 

 

Hoseok slung his arm around Jimin’s shoulders as they made their way to the cafeteria right as the bell rang. He was tired from listening to all the teachers talk non-stop. But what added to his weariness was his worry caused because of Taehyung.

Jimin had said that his orange haired boyfriend was present that day. But Taehyung never came to see him. Not even once before classes started. Hoseok had actually went to search from his in the morning but his classmates just told him that Taehyung had disappeared right after keeping his bag on his desk.

 

“Where’s Yoongi at?” Hoseok asked trying to hide his tired eyes. Jimin growled back the answer. “How the should I know?” The reply left him stunned and a little scared. “Whoa,” he said, his thoughts about Taehyung slowly diminishing in size. “What’s wrong, Jiminnie?”

He saw Jimin taking a deep breath; maybe to explain but he was cut off by a sudden voice from the back.

“Hyung?”

There was no mistaking it. It was Taehyung.

 

Both Jimin and Hoseok turned simultaneously to see a weak smiling Taehyung. “I’m sorry Jimin but could I borrow him for a quick while?” Taehyung asked politely. Jimin, surprised at the polite sentence, nodded incoherently. “He’s your boyfriend.”

Taehyung’s face frowned a little but it soon regained the original features. But Hoseok caught it. What was going on?

“I need to talk to you,” Taehyung said and led the way up to the school terrace. Hoseok felt a strange surge of familiarity when Taehyung led the way up the stairs which, from the back, looked like he was running away from him. Yes, it reminded him of his dream.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung,” Taehyung spoke right as he felt Hoseok catch up with his on the terrace. He felt Hoseok right behind him, looking all puzzled and confused. One look at Hoseok right at that moment and Taehyung knew that he would be drowned in guilt, as if he wasn’t drowning enough. But it was his fault for falling in love with Jungkook. So he wanted to accept the responsibility for misleading his hyung.

“I want to break up with you.”

He didn’t know how close Hoseok was behind him but he knew that he was pretty close when he heard his hyung’s breath hitch. His gaze immediately searched for his only source of strength and assurance that he was doing the right thing and he found him. Right in front of him holding his numbing hand with his own cold hands.

 

Hoseok closed his eyes. He couldn’t cry. Men don’t cry.

Noticing that Hoseok was silent, Taehyung continued. “I’m really sorry, hyung, but I can’t be with you anymore.”

Hoseok swallowed the lump in his throat and forced himself to speak. Unintentionally, he spoke out the same words from his dreams but not even he noticed it.

“What are you saying, Taehyung? Don’t be like this. Don’t you love me anymore?” he asked desperately.

 

Taehyung finally turned back and locked his gaze with his hyung whom he used to think he was in love with. A small smile spread on his lips. But he still had the expression of pain and guilt. “I do. I really do,” he said, “But I’m not in love with you.”

Hoseok’s heart beat so fast and loud, too fast that he couldn’t comprehend what was going on and too loud for him to even think properly. What was happening?

So, unable to understand what was going on, he panicked. He liked to be in control. He had always been the kind of person who knew everything about his surroundings so when, in this one moment, he lost senses, he panicked.

 

 

“No.”

Taehyung looked up in confusion at his hyung. So did Jungkook.

 

“I can’t accept it. I won’t.” With that Hoseok walked away from what he thought the monster before him. The monster that was responsible for his heart shattering to tiny pieces at the moment. And as soon as he reached the other side of the door that led back down to the classes, he ran. He ran and ran down, not knowing where his feet would lead him, not caring if he would fall from the stairs. He just ran.

 

 

A/N:

Well things escalated quickly...

Hai there. It's TypicalFangirl09 here (obviously) and I wanted to say something.

I apologize in advance because of what I'm about to say (type down).

 

With my classes starting this on the 21st, I won't be able to update for some time. I have to get 'settled' in my new environment (which , I hate new environment) so my updates WILL take a while.

I am really saddened by this but I can't do anything about it. (And my friggen hostel doesn't provide net connections T^T)

 

But if it's not too much to ask, I really hope you'll stick around till the end. I promise I'll make this story good and make it reach your expectations if possible.

Yup. That's it. (Consider this a semi-haitus farewell note)

 

And now, as always. I love all of you who have read up till here. Feel free to comment, criticize, upvote etc. etc. Hwaiting!

Indefinitely, 

TypicalFangirl09