Chapter 3

Project J. [HIATUS]

“Wake up! It’s school time!” A hyper Krystal screamed as she jumped on the bundle snuggling comfortably under the blanket.

“Get off!” Jessica groaned as she pressed her face into the soft pillow. The latter had not got a good night’s sleep due to the nightmares that kept occurring.

However, Krystal took no heed to her older sister suffering and pulled the blanket off. “Get up! Seohyun unnie said we have to be on time for the first day of school!”

Jessica groaned as the cold hit her and she blindly d around, trying to find something to cover her body, only to find her nose kissing the floor soon after.

“What the hell, Krystal Jung!” She screamed as the culprit snickered and scampered out of the room.

Stumbling into the bathroom in her half awaken state, Jessica silently cursed her sister as she saw the obvious bruise on her nose. After preparing everything she needs for school, Jessica walked down to the kitchen where she was welcomed with the smell of breakfast.

“Jessica unnie are you planning to join the circus anytime soon?” Seohyun chuckled as she saw the disgruntled woman.

“Blame that little brat.” Jessica muttered as she rubbed the bruise that would not fade away anytime soon, ignoring the chortles of laughter coming from her the culprit and Seohyun.

---

“Okay, class, we have a new student transferring over today.” The stern looking professor, Mr Yoon announced as he gestured for the student to come in. Bowing ninety degrees, the student introduced herself.

“I am Jessica Jung, please take care of me.” After her introduction, clapping and murmurs of “She’s so pretty!” “I am so going to ask her out after class!” were heard, whereas Jessica almost rolled her eyes in annoyance but stopped herself.

“Miss Jung, you can sit at the back with Miss Choi. Miss Choi, you better stop eating that packet of chips.” Mr Yoon said as he squinted at the lanky girl who blushed as the class laughed. Making her way over, Jessica sat down beside the window and let out a sigh.

“Hi, I am Choi Sooyoung!” The lanky girl introduced herself as she held out her hand. Jessica merely stared at the outstretched hand blankly before nodding slowly, causing Sooyoung to retract her hand with an awkward smile. “Not the type to talk, eh?” Sooyoung said as she scratched her head.

“Sorry I’m late, Prof!” A girl burst into the lecture room as she apologized to Mr Yoon and ran to her seat. “Why are you here?!” All heads turned to look at the girl who just ran in standing shocked in front of the transfer student.

“Oh, I came here for fun.” Jessica replied sarcastically at Yuri, who glared at her. “Oh my unlucky life!” Yuri sighed dramatically and sat down whilst banging her head lightly on her table.

“Miss Kwon, would you like to transfer to the Department of Theatre?” Mr Yoon barked at the tanned girl who was still in a state of depression. “No, Sir!” At the sound of her professor, Yuri waved her hands and gave a lopsided smile.

“You know Jessica?” Sooyoung whispered to Yuri as the lesson continued. “Yeah, she’s that rude brat I told you about the other day.” Yuri said as she ignored Jessica’s glare.

“Anyway, why don’t I see Taeyeon and my jewel Fany?” Yuri questioned as she took out her books. “Maybe you can try to keep quiet instead of disturbing the people around you.” A cold voice rang out.

Sending a nasty look to the owner, Yuri retorted, “Why don’t you mind your own business, rude brat?”

“I tried to, but some dark talks too loudly with her big mouth.” Jessica replied calmly, sending daggers to Yuri through her eyes.

“Why, you!” Yuri gritted her teeth as the duo both had a silent battle through their eyes, ignoring poor Sooyoung who was stuck in between them, shrinking down in her seat. Oh, why am I stuck in this battlefield?

After a few bickering and Yuri throwing paper balls at Jessica (in which she didn’t succeed even once because the latter dodged every one of it, some even hit Sooyoung instead), the class finally ended.

As Jessica walked out of class and stretched, she suddenly heard noises around. What’s happening? Straining her ears and finding the source of the sound, she found a petite girl being cornered by three other girls that she recognized to be the ones that were in her lecture in a dark corner of the school.

“So, Kim, did you skip the first period of class just to avoid us?” One girl snarled as she shoved the small girl.

“N-no, I didn’t.” Taeyeon stuttered as the bully went closer to her.

“Are you sure, Kim? It’s so unlikely for you to skip lessons.” The girl sneered as she laughed with her friends.

Seeing that it was not her problem but just some common form of bullying, Jessica shrugged and was about to walk off but the girl’s next words stopped her in her tracks.

“Well, it seems like you need to be taught some lessons so I would not need to handle Mr Yoon’s detention next time.” The girl hissed as she took out a penknife from her pocket.

Sighing, Jessica turned back and looked at the petite girl trembling in fear. She was about to step out from her place behind the wall when another person beat her to it.

“Hey! What are you doing to Taeyeon unnie?!” A doe-eyed girl came rushing to the petite’s girl side and stood in front of her, raising her chin at the other three girls defiantly.

“Im, don’t get yourself involved.” The girl holding the penknife hissed.

“You should stop this bullying of yours first, Eunji!” The doe-eyed girl retorted as she narrowed her eyes at Eunji.

Sneering, Eunji stepped forward. “Why are you defending Kim, Im Yoona? Trying to get into her pants?” Yoona widened her eyes in anger and without thinking, gave Eunji a slap. “Watch what you say Do Eunji!”

Eunji held her cheeks in shock and glared at Yoona in anger, “You’re going to regret this Im!” before lunging at her with the penknife. Yoona closed her eyes, waiting for the pain-

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Jessica said as she stepped out from behind the wall holding up her phone.

“I must say it was quite interesting to watch this show of yours but using a knife to hurt people is going too far, hmm? I wonder what the principal will say when she sees this.” Jessica mused as she leaned on the wall, spinning her phone in her hands.

“Where the hell did this bi*** come from?!” Eunji cursed as she slowly lowered the penknife. “Watch your back, Im and Kim.” With that being said, she ran away with her minions trailing behind her.

After Eunji and her minions had disappeared, Yoona immediately checked on Taeyeon, checking her for any injuries. “Yoona, you shouldn’t have done that. Now you will be on the bullying list too.” Taeyeon spoke softly to the worried girl.

“I can’t possibly leave my favorite unnie alone when I see her get bullied, right?” Yoona smiled and turned to Jessica, “Thank you for saving us!” with a bow.

“Damn, left with ten minutes for lunch.” Jessica groaned as she looked at her watch. Finding the next class would already take up all the time. My poor stomach… Pushing herself off the wall, she walked away without any acknowledgement to Yoona’s words, leaving the doe-eyed girl baffled, and not noticing the petite girl’s eyes following her back.

---

Walking into her composing class, the hungry and grumpy girl sat down at the back, ignoring the looks Eunji is sending her along with the stares of her classmates. Placing her head down on the table, she slowly drifted off to sleep.

“Aren’t she pretty, bunny? Do you know her name?” Twelve years old Sooyeon said excitedly, looking at her crush dreamily while prodding her best friend.

“Stop poking me! And yes! I know her! She just transferred to our class; you were sleeping again weren’t you?” Her annoyed friend mumbled as she pushed her friend’s hands away from her.

“Tell me her name!” Sooyeon whined while pulling her friend hands.

“Hey, stop that!” Her friend said as she faked puking.

“What’s her name?” Sooyeon asked persistently. Sighing in defeat, her friend opened .

“Kim T-“

“Argh!” Jessica hissed as she clutched her head in pain. “Something wrong, Miss Jung?” The professor called out, concerned. “I-I am fine, Miss Song.” Jessica replied as she shook off the images in her head. Seriously, you’re going to haunt me whenever I sleep? Stop being an ! Jessica mentally cursed.

“Grumpy now, aren’t we?”

“Shut up, black lad.”

“I am not black, you rude brat.”

“Erm, guys, Miss Song is aiming her chalk at both of you…?”

“I am not in the mood for arguments, woman.”

“You make it sound like I want to talk to you.”

“Ha! You were the one who talked to me first!”

“Guys, be careful!” Sooyoung yelped as she ducked down.

“Look at what you had land me into!” Jessica grumbled and gave an evil look to the person beside her as the both of them were kneeling outside class with their hands up above their heads and face full of white chalk.

Sighing, Yuri fidgeted and placed her arms down after peeking into the lecture room. “Seriously, who uses this type of punishment method in university?!”

“Miss Song.” Jessica replied back nonchalantly, earning a incredulous look from Yuri. “What? I was just answering your question.”

Shaking her head, Yuri snickered. “Well, she must be quite old to be using this method on us university students.” Jessica let out a small smile at that comment. “Old fashioned.” Both turned to face each other and laughed quietly.

“Is it fun discussing about how old fashioned I am, Miss Kwon and Miss Jung?” The duo froze as they heard the menacing voice. Oh no, trouble. Looking up slowly, they let out an awkward smile at their professor who was smiling too sweetly at them.

In an instant, the professor’s face changed and a ruler came smacking down on their heads. “Clean up the classroom after school, you troublemakers.” Groaning silently, the duo nodded, defeated.

---

After cleaning up the class, Jessica decided to wander around the streets to see how much Seoul changed the past years. As she rounded on a corner where normal city people would not walk into, she saw a small cafe. Pushing the door open, she walked in. The cafe was furnished nicely with a homely feeling and soft lightings.

“Welcome!” A voice rang out cheerfully. “Oh? It’s you!” The voice exclaimed. Confused, Jessica looked at the owner, tilting her head slightly. Who is she…?

“Do I know you?” Jessica asked as politely as possible, but it failed terribly as she saw the other person flinch. “Err, Eunji bullying Taeyeon unnie? Remember?” The girl asked, scratching her head awkwardly.

An image flashed across Jessica’s mind. Oh, that tall, pretty fearless idiot. “I don’t think I am pretty though.” The girl chuckled. Oh . Jessica mentally face palmed herself as she realised she blurted out her thoughts.

“Anyway, my name is Im Yoona, majoring in theatre studies in SM University! Thanks for saving us just now and sorry for taking up your lunch time!” Yoona smiled brightly as she introduced herself to Jessica. 

Surprised at how outgoing the girl was, Jessica merely gave a small smile and settled down upon a chair after ordering what she wants. “Is there normally no customers around here?” Jessica asked quietly as her eyes followed Yoona’s movement.

“Do you know it’s actually more polite to introduce yourself after one introduces them self?” Yoona said as she placed Jessica drink on her table. “And to answer your question, it’s not rush hour now.”

“I don’t bother in introducing myself to people I don’t know. Is this your café?”

“Introductions are a start to knowing one individual and having more friends. Nope, it’s Taeyeon unnie’s, I am just helping her out.”

“I don’t see the need of having more friends in my life.” Jessica said as she grabbed a random magazine to read, not bothering about Yoona who had settled down comfortably across her. “Isn’t it boring to have no friends though?” Yoona questioned as she leaned back on her seat.

Looking up from her flipping, Jessica merely shrugged. “As long as I have my sister with me, I have no need for friends.”

“Well, that’s partly true…” Yoona mumbled as she bit her upper lip. “Anyway, I am going to the washroom for a while, can you help me take care of the café?”

“You’re quite comfortable in telling a person, stranger and customer nonetheless to take care of this café.”

“Even though I don’t know your name yet, I will take it that I know you. You’re not a bad person anyway. Thanks!” Yoona laughed as she ran away.

Ding

The café bell rang once again as someone stepped in. “Yoona, I need some help over here!” Taeyeon called while dragging a few bags of coffee beans in.

Hands went over to help her take the coffee beans. “Where do I place this?” Looking up in shock, Taeyeon almost dropped the bag of coffee beans she was holding. “T-the kitchen.” She stuttered while pointing to the location.

Jessica nodded as she hauled the bags over her shoulder like it was nothing and dumped it into the kitchen where she saw other similar bags. Turning around, she saw Taeyeon still struggling with her own bags of coffee beans. With a sigh, she went and took the leftovers from the flustered girl and placed the bags where they belong.

“Taeyeon unnie you’re back!” Yoona exclaimed happily as slung a arm around the petite’s girl shoulder. Taeyeon said nothing and instead dragged Yoona away from the kitchen.

“What is she doing here?” Taeyeon asked in a whisper, tugging at Yoona’s sleeves. “Oh, the one who refuses to introduce herself? I asked her to help out!” Yoona said brightly as Jessica stepped out of the kitchen.

Pulling Taeyeon alongside her, “This is Taeyeon unnie, majoring in music in SM University, my favourite unnie and the owner of this café!” Yoona exclaimed to Jessica. “You really need to change that habit of introducing people.” Jessica said as she stared at Taeyeon openly, with the latter squirming uncomfortably under her gaze.

“Are you seriously not going to introduce yourself?” Yoona said as she placed her hands on her hips. Jessica merely shrugged and went to take her belongings. “Like I said, there’s no need for me to introduce myself. If you really want to know, there are other ways to find out. Bye.”

“She’s so indifferent. There goes another friend.” Yoona pouted as she sat down dejectedly. Taeyeon merely laughed softly at her dongsaeng behaviour before proceeding to clear up Jessica’s used table. Noticing a post-it note, she took it and read it curiously.

Jessica Jung, majoring in music. Nice to meet you, Im Yoona, and... Kim Taeyeon.

 

 

A/N I am still thinking on what Taeyeon's character will be like, and how Jessica and her relationship will progress. So updates might be slower. :) 

@jaein9 Jessica will still grow old. Her outer surface is of a human body with signs of aging and all, though it will be slower than others. It's just her inner body that's a metal figurine.