Chapter 1

Project J. [HIATUS]

“Mr Jung, here are the equipments as per requested.” 

“Thanks, Seohyun, just place it on the table.”

The middle aged man gave a deep sigh as he rubbed his temples. Flipping through all the designs once again to check for any errors, he gulped down his coffee.

“Seohyun, tell Hawk to prepare the machine.”

“Sir, the machine is prepared. We can proceed with the procedure immediately.” Hawk said to his boss as they looked at the metal figurine lying on the operating table. 

“The laser beam here is used to give J9 her body while the needle here is used to incorporate Miss Sooyeon’s memory into it, whereas this needle here…” Hawk explained as he pointed to the respective equipments. 

“How long will it take for J9 to be completed?” 

“It will take around one week, Sir. Just in time for Sooyeon unnie birthday.” Seohyun spoke up beside Mr Jung. Nodding, Mr Jung gave the signal. 

“Proceed.” Sooyeon, I will bring you back. You will be the most perfect on earth. The perfect woman.

---

11th April 2006, 1340 hours, Seoul, South Korea

“What did you just say?” James Jung said as he gripped the corners of the table till his knuckles turned white. 

“It seemed that your daughter was actually involved in a purposeful hit and run accident.” The investigator explained as he turned the computer to show James Jung the screen. 

“From the CCTV footage, your daughter was crossing the street normally when the streetlight turns green but this car suddenly came at high speed and hit your daughter. Then, it turned back and the person in the passenger seat shot your daughter before fleeing.” 

“H-how, Sooyeon, my Sooyeon…”  James stuttered as his wife sobbed beside him quietly. “Unfortunately, the car is a stolen car therefore it’s going to take quite some time to find the person who was driving the car that night." 

“Who will do this, why would they…” James Jung gritted his teeth as he felt his heart crumbling into pieces. 

“We know that this period of time is going to be hard for you, Mr Jung, however, since you are a renowned scientist and businessman, can you possibly think of any people whom you have offended in the past?” The investigator carefully questioned James. 

“N-no, I mean, no one complained to me or fought with me before, so why would they do this?” James said bitterly as he held his wife’s hands. “I see… In any case, we will try our best to find the culprit and update you and your wife as soon as possible.”

 

“Mommy! Where did unnie go? Why don’t I see her?” Ten years old Soojung questioned innocently the moment her parents stepped into their house. Elisa Jung almost broke down there and then but she held in her tears and embraced her youngest daughter. 

“Y-your Sooyeon unnie is off on a trip, she will be back before her birthday, dear.” Elisa choked out as she hugged her daughter. James curled his hands into fists as he watched the most beloved people in his life, one clueless, one heartbroken, hugging each other. 

Turning on his heels, he punched in a few numbers. “Seohyun, I want you to insert #0018 into J9. Make her undefeatable.” Sooyeon, you will not be hurt anymore.

---

17th April 2006, Seoul, South Korea

“Sir, J9 is completed.” Hawk reported as James Jung stepped into his laboratory with Seohyun. 

“Activate her.”

The three stood and looked as electricity ran through J9’s body. Slowly, J9 opened her eyes. Pushing herself up, J9 looked around slowly, exercising her arms and legs. Turning to look at James, she tilted her head to the side. 

“Dad, Seohyun, Hawk…” She slowly acknowledged everyone. “Why… am I here?” James cannot hold the rush of emotions flooding over him as he rushed over to J9 and embraced her tightly. “Sooyeon, my Sooyeon, you are back, Sooyeon.” He choked out. 

“Dad, what’s wrong?” Sooyeon asked, confused. “Nothing, sweetie, nothing’s wrong.” James smiled through his tears as he embraced his daughter once again. “Let’s go home, your mother will be elated to see you, sweetie.”

“Elisa! Elisa!” James called out happily as he walked into the house. Soon, Elisa Jung appeared from the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron. 

“What is it, James?” 

“Look at whose back! Our Sooyeon is back!” James said happily as he pulled Sooyeon in by the door. Elisa stood at the doorway, frozen. “Mum?” Sooyeon said as she was suddenly engulfed in a tight hug.

“What’s wrong with both of you?” Sooyeon asked confusedly. “You both looked like I just came back from the dead or something…”

“Hey! Don’t joke about death like this!” Elisa reprimanded her daughter as she smacked her on the back of her head. “Ouch! That hurts, Mum!” Sooyeon complained and pouted. “Anyway, where’s Soojungie? I want to see my baby sister!” Sooyeon said as she bounced to her sister’s room excitedly.

“You recreated another version of Sooyeon?” Elisa turned to her husband and asked. “Yes, and she will be the perfect woman on earth. I implemented Sooyeon’s memory into her mind too, so she will be our perfect Sooyeon.” James ranted happily as he embraced his wife. 

“Oh, James, is this a good idea though?” Elisa questioned. “What if this Sooyeon found out?” Elisa said as she bit her lips uncertainly. “Nothing will go wrong, Elisa.” At least, I hope so. James said as he comforted his wife while the both of them listened to the shrieks and laughter of their daughters.

18th April 2006, 1900 hours, Seoul, South Korea

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” The family sang to their eldest daughter her birthday song before urging her to blow out the candles. 

“I’ve got something to announce.” James stood up as they were eating halfway. Eyes turned to him as he spoke. “We will be migrating to America for a period of time. Over there, Sooyeon, you will be known as Jessica Jung whereas Soojung will be known as Krystal Jung. We will be leaving tomorrow.” 

“Why?” Jessica questioned. “I feel the need to change the environment we live in, Sooyeon. This place… is too suffocating.” James replied as he smiled wearily at his daughters. Hearing no more objections, the family continued having their dinner with laughter filling the air.