Chapter Two

Piece by Piece
Piece by Piece
Chapter Two
By: Sharl





His son was sulking and Siwon hid a smile. 

They were on their way to the kindergarten that morning and Changmin seemed to deem it worthy sulking and pouting and huffing one last time, just in case his father would give in later. Unfortunately that trick did not work.

And as it was, father and son drove together because this was Changmin's first day. Siwon wanted to make sure that his son wOuld be in safe hands, maybe say a hi or two to the teacher later. 

He knew he'd be out of place, being a single father among all pampering and doting mothers, but maybe he could turn on his charms and polite smile and won the teacher's favor. Surely the teacher would be a female.

Halfway to the school, Changmin whined. "Daddy, I don't want to go."

"Changmin we've talked about this."

"But daddy-"

Siwon squarred his son with a look and Changmin shut his mouth. Or at least he knew he shouldn't speak. Siwon had given him that look whenever Changmin was terribly naughty and usually the consequences were dreadful for Changmin. Skipping dinner or being deprived from his favorite treats were two most effective ways to punish his son.

Feeling pity to his son, Siwon tried to persuade him. "You already got three scoops of ice cream yesterday."

Changmin made a face. "That one is for eating yucky brocolli."

The father rolled his eyes. Well, changmin did have a point actually. Smart kid. If he was already this smart in negotiatin and countering at the age of five, imagine what he's be like when the dreaded rebellious teenage hood arrived. Siwon shuddered. Can't Changmin just stay as a kid and not grow up?

"You'll be fine, don't worry too much and don't be scared."

"I'm not worried and i'm definitely not scared," came the immediate answer and it was accompanied with a full pout.

This time Siwon laughed. His son was really cute sometimes.

 

+++<




His prediction was right: all the other parents were mostly mothers or at least married couples and he was the only single father among the lot. It wasn't bad though, many of them wanted to talk with him (maybe out of pity because well, single father) and Siwon used that opportunity to get parent's support for Changmin.

....And he wondered where Changmin got that manipulation and negotiation skill. 

Oh well, at least Changmin didn't look scared anymore. The boy walked towards the playground and made friends almost immediately. Siwon watched as his son began to built sand castle using other kids' buckets and spades.

Changmin then somehow managed to order one of the older kid to run and get some water. Well, look at that. Not yet thirty minutesa t school and he already got other children to obey him.

His son was always creative and he had many tricks under his sleeve, hidden under that fearsome pout and chubby cheeks. Siwon wouldn't be surprised if one day Changmin got himself in trouble these days. The boy was used to get things done the way he wanted it and someday he'd realized that the world didn't go like that.

"Choi-sshi?"

Siwon turned at the mention of his name. A young woman, in her early thirties smiled and walked towards him. She appeared to be eight months pregnant and even now she already walked with a little difficulty.

"My name is Victoria and I'm your son's homeroom teacher."

"Ah, nice to meet you. Please take care of my son," Siwon replied, "He can be a bit difficult and stubborn at times, but he's a good kid."

The teacher laughed and smiled, "I'm sure he is. I see he has already made friends."

Siwon was the one who laughed this time. "And to think he was afraid to go to school yesterday. First day nerves I imagine." He then managed to look sheepish, "If you don't mind me saying, congratulations on your pregnancy."

She caressed her stomach lovingly and replied, "Thank you. It's our first child and my husband has started to fret. He asked me to take an early maternity leave, but we haven't found any replacement yet."

"I hope you will find one soon," Siwon frowned. It was a bit unkind, he knew it, but he wanted someone to keep an eye to his son. He knew from first hand experience how difficult Changmin could be, especially without an adult supervision.

The teacher nodded in agreement. "I'm sure we will. There's one candidate that will come for an interview next week. A male teacher but he has a degree in child psychology."

Siwon would have replied something, but at that moment a child's cry was heard and he turned to look at the playground. In his horror, he saw Changmin stood in front of another boy, and that other boy had obviously fallen flat on his and cried.

 

+++<




One week had passed by peacefully, or at least Siwon wanted to think so.

Changmin had gotten used to his school life and so far he hadn't made any trouble yet. He had plenty of friends now, and he said the homeroom teacher was very nice to him. She gave praises to Changmin and akways put good words for him. As expected from his son. Siwon couldn't help but feeling proud. 

But then she took her maternity leave. Before she leave she had introduced a new teacher to the class. The new teacher was a male and Siwon had the instinct that it must be the child psychologyst.

However Changmin didn't like him. He said the new teacher was mean and always sides with this other boy called Junsu. Siwon had frowned at that. Junsu's name hadn't come up so far but recently it always did. Apparently Changmin somehow always got into trouble with this other boy and the new teacher never took his side.

Siwon knew he had to talk with this new teacher soon. Unfortunately he was overloaded with new projects and couldn't make it to visit the school. So he had asked his mother, Changmin's grandmother, to go on his behalf.

Amazingly she had come back with nothing but praises for the new teacher. She said he was 'the most competent teacher she had ever seen'. She had even dismissed ChangmIn's complaint with a strict "Be good and listen to your teacher."

Changmin had pouted and sulked and huffed. It took Siwon a visit to the candyland and five boxes filled with candies and chocolates to make Changmin smile again. After that his son never complained anymore and Siwon thought the whole thing was over.

Apparently it was not.

Changmin had come home one day two hours earlier than he should be. Siwon had to go back to the house and took some papers he had forgotten to bring earlier that morning. When Changmin trudged through the door with a sullen look on his face, Siwon knew something was wrong. 

"Hey kiddo, how’s the school?”

“It .”

"Why?"

"They're stupid."

Siwon frowned, "who?"He didn't expect Changmin to explode and shout. "Everyone! Junsu is stupid and Cho-sensei is stupid and everyone is stupid and i hate them! I don't want to go to school anymore! I hate them daddy, I hate them!"

Siwon ran towards his son and kneeled so that he was on the same height as Changmin. He grasped the boy's shoulder. "Changmin, look at me." 

He waited until his son looked up. Those big brown eyes were shimmering with tears and Siwon felt his heart clenched. Changmin rarely cried. He didn't even cry when Siwon scolded him harshly and he also didn't cry when he fell from his bike. "Baby what's wrong? Talk to me."

Changmin didn't speak for a while. And when he finally did, it was whispered. "Cho-sensei asked you to come to school tomorrow daddy, said that I was naughty and he wanted to talk to you."



-End of Chapter Two-