Teaser

Piece by Piece
Piece by Piece
Teaser
By: Sharl




He should have known better.

The first time his wife had held their son in her arms, just minutes after he was born; her smile did not reach her eyes. But at that time Siwon was too happy that his son was finally be born, and the baby boy was still screaming his lungs out so he didn’t take too much notice of his wife. Or maybe he did, but he didn’t want to think about it.

He really should have. The expression that was on her face was not that of a mother’s, but of a prisoner’s walking to his gallows. All the signs were there: she didn’t want them. Neither of him as her husband, nor the baby boy who had just been born only minutes before.

“What will you call him?” he had asked, a smile was still on his face.

“I don’t know. You choose,” she had answered.


Most couples would have argued countless arguments over baby names. Siwon had seen it featured so many times in those cheesy dramas she loved to watch, so it must be true, right? But they didn’t and in the end it was only him who registered his son at the General Registration Office. She said she hadn’t felt well enough to leave the bed.

Siwon remembered that the officer on duty had shot him a look of pity. After all, he was the only male parent in the Registration Office, all others were couples. He had heard them whispered that maybe his wife had died on childbirth. Or maybe there some kind of other tragic scenarios. He didn’t care. His mind was focused on the baby boy in his arms, bundled in a warm cotton blanket and was sleeping peacefully.

He made a decision that day. Changmin would be the source of his happiness. Even if his wife would leave him (and she did, only three weeks after Changmin was born), Siwon would be the best father and mother in the world. 

 

- End of Teaser-