Final Chapter

Shopping, Pickup Lines, and DBSK Posters

               It is a bright, spring morning, and Kyungsoo is just another student trying to book his way down the gravel path and into Building C before his teacher decides to kick him out of the class to make room for other students that weren't always late like Kyungsoo was.

               Kyungsoo is almost successful in getting to class, but a tan figure crosses his path seconds before he reaches the door. Kyungsoo finds himself on the ground, and he struggles to pick himself back up under the weight of his textbook-filled backpack.

"Hey, are you okay?" the voice sounds lethargic, laced with an undertone of worry.

"Yeah, I, uh, uhm." Kyungsoo wants to bang his face against a locker. He dares to peer up in order to see the person that he had so conveniently bumped into.

               Okay, screw banging his face against a locker. Kyungsoo wanted to open that locker, jump inside, and hide for the rest of eternity. The person in front of him is, simply put, breathtaking. Tall build, lean figure, bronze skin. The man had a lot going for him, and Kyungsoo cursed at the universe for his bad luck. Why couldn't he bump into someone who was, you know, not god-like?

The man he bumped into chuckles warm heartedly, and Kyungsoo becomes self conscious of his staring and quickly turns his head to the side. The stranger extends a hand to help Kyungsoo back up. Kyungsoo takes it, and then the man offers to take a walk around campus with Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo accepts. He never liked that astronomy teacher anyways.

Kyungsoo learns that the man's name is Jongin, and that he's a junior, just like Kyungsoo. He also learns that Jongin knows Luhan, and that Jongin rooms with Luhan's boyfriend, Sehun. Kyungsoo really would have liked to learn more about him, but Jongin has to head off to his next class.

Waving intently after Jongin, Kyungsoo makes his way down the hall to his own classes. Kyungsoo then bangs his head against a locker when he realizes that he forgot to get Jongin's number.

 

 

"KYUNGSOO!"

It is 9 AM in the morning, and Kyungsoo is definitely not ready for that kind of noise yet. Kyungsoo carelessly chucks a pillow in the direction of the voice, and immediately regrets his decision once he realizes that said pillow was actually the only pillow on his bed. Groaning, Kyungsoo pulls his white blanket further up over his head and proceeds to  curl up into an ivory ball.

He holds his breath, waiting for something to disturb his peace again. After a few moments, Kyungsoo sighs and adjusts his sheets so that he can go back to sleep in comfort. All of this is in vain, however, when Kyungsoo is awoken from his half-asleep-but-not-really-sleeping state as he hears footsteps thundering against the carpet, heading toward the direction of his bed.

'Nonononononono please don't----'

               Kyungsoo's silent plea is cut off as something jumps on top of him and knocks the air out of his lungs. Kyungsoo sputters indignantly, and then continues to wheeze and catch his breath for the next minute. The offending jumping object was actually Kyungsoo's roommate and (sadly enough) best friend, Luhan. "Kyungsoo-ah, get up! It's a big day! Don't you remember what day today is?"

               Rubbing his eyes and yawning, Kyungsoo isn't sure if he wants to remember, as he opens up his eyes and comes face to face with maniacal grin that makes him recoil backwards in fear and hit his head against the bedpost. Although Luhan was considered pretty by most people(probably by everyone, but Kyungsoo didn't want to accept that fact because---well. Maybe THEY should trying living with him themselves, and see how Luhan looks after 5 glasses of soju, 1 gallon of ice cream, 3 bars of Hershey's, and 2 Korean drama series, all whilst sobbing into Kyungsoo's shoulder, asking why the universe sent him such bad boyfriends as Kyungsoo fidgets uncomfortably and makes a mental note to Google if it was actually possible to drown in tears. And after the 5 hour Luhan break down session, what did Kyungsoo have to do? Stay up late to clean up after Luhan's lazy after Luhan himself passed out on the couch, mouth spread wide open, body twisted in what was, possibly, the most uncomfortable position ever. After all that was done, Kyungsoo swore at the universe, asking it to give Luhan a better boyfriend because goddammit, the apartment roommate ad did not advertise for 'Finding a person to not only share the rent with, but also all of my emotional issues, inner turmoil, and ty choice of boyfriends. Oh, and also, if you respond now, I'll even throw in a 'I'm going to awkwardly assault you and try to and kiss you after the 4th glass of soju because I saw the Korean drama leads kiss and so now I'm convinced that you are my one true love and soulmate' package!), Kyungsoo was absolutely convinced that no one in the history of humankind would ever want to live with such an innocent looking monster.

Kyungsoo snaps back to reality when Luhan whacks him across the face with a pillow.

"Excuse me, are you even going to pretend to listen to what I'm trying to say here?" Luhan proclaims.

"Not by personal choice," Kyungsoo reluctantly eyes Luhan as he smiles much too cheerfully and walks out of Kyungsoo's room. Kyungsoo waits for Luhan to come back, because he knows he will, and  sure enough, Luhan makes a grand entrance by pushing open Kyungsoo's door with a force that should not belong to a person who looks like Luhan. He stands in  the doorway expectantly, with a gigantic bag in hand.

"Well, do you remember now?"

Kyungsoo blinks in confusion, big, round eyes clearly puzzled.

"It's my half-year-one     -month anniversary with Sehun, you idiot!" Luhan yells, annoyed.

               Kyungsoo groans inwardly. Who the hell celebrates a 'seven month anniversary'? Then again, Kyungsoo already knew that there was something wrong with Luhan, so he wasn't one to be bewildered by the statement. This Sehun character had saved Kyungsoo a lot of time, Clorox wipes, and money spent on alcohol and sweets in the past 7 months, so Kyungsoo really just wanted to thank him for not butchering Luhan's heart as well as to congratulate him on sticking with the chestnut haired horror for so long.

               Grumbling out a few words of protest as Luhan drags him off of his comfortable, inviting bed and onto the cold, desolate wood floor, Kyungsoo watches uninterestedly as Luhan wastes no time in tearing open the humongous bag that he has brought with him into Kyungsoo's room, unveiling a goliath receipt lying neatly on top of perfectly folded clothes.

"Since it was such a special occasion, I thought I would just go for it and binge on name brands," Luhan says excitedly, taking out a pair of designer jeans from the bag.

               Kyungsoo knows what Luhan said was basically code for, 'I'm pretty much broke now so we're going to have to live off ramen and tap water for the next five months', and starts to calculate how much ramen he should buy and how many extra things he can afford.

"Should I wear this one? Or this one?" Luhan asks with enthusiasm, as Kyungsoo peers up to see a pair of black jeans, and...another slightly lighter shaded pair of jeans.

"Luhan. They're nearly the same. There's literally almost no difference between the two."

"Well, that's like comparing white rice and brown rice. One's slightly darker, yet white rice tastes a hell of a lot better that brown rice, so choose," Luhan demands, and Kyungsoo guesses that Luhan does have a point, because brown rice really did have no competition whatsoever with white rice.

"So are you telling me that Sehun is going to your pants or something?" Kyungsoo retorts, and regrets it as soon as it comes out of his mouth because Luhan was, well, a very...special person. Luhan winks at him, and Kyungsoo scavenges around for the pillow that Luhan had thrown at him prior to the conversation.

"They're the same!" Kyungsoo protests, and Luhan puts his hand on his hip and gives Kyungsoo his best diva look.

"Hey, if you were going to go out on a date with Jongin, I would care about your fashion choices because I'm just that nice of a friend, okay, so would you please help me decide, here?"

               Kyungsoo's face flushes, and he starts to stutter something about not liking Jongin, which seems to fly past Luhan's ears as a smirk forms on his face.

"How do you even know about this?" Kyungsoo grumbles. Luhan ignores Kyungsoo's question.

"So Sehun was right, you do like Jongin! Oh, my baby Kyungie is in love!" Luhan starts to sing, and Kyungsoo turns an even deeper shade of red. He finally finds the pillow that had somehow made its way under Kyungsoo's bed, and throws it at Luhan. He misses, and Kyungsoo groans as Luhan starts ranting.

"Do you have his number? Do you want his number? I bet Sehun has his number. In fact, I'll text Sehun about it right now!" Luhan declares. Kyungsoo tackles him down to the ground before he can press the 'send' button on his phone. Luhan seems to be more hurt about Kyungsoo messing up his hair than about Kyungsoo actually causing pain to him, and after ten minutes of holding Luhan's phone hostage, threatening to delete all of Luhan's DBSK pictures, and screaming, Luhan agrees not to bug him about Jongin (for at least the rest of the day).

               Two hours pass, and Luhan still hasn't decided what he should wear on his date with Sehun. Deciding that none of the clothes that he had bought the previous day were worthy of Sehun's 'beautiful, twinkling brown eyes' (Kyungsoo couldn't see where he got that from, since he had bumped into Sehun before, at the cafe on the university campus, and if looks could kill, everyone that Sehun looked at would be very, very dead), and decides to drag Kyungsoo along with him to the mall near their apartment. Deciding that the mall in itself was not worthy, Luhan forces Kyungsoo to drive all the way to the other side of town in order to go the glorious, high class shopping center for rich people, which Kyungsoo really did not understand, because Luhan being his usual self at this particular place would mean that Kyungsoo would have to live on just tap water for the next year and a half. Before they walk through the giant gateway that signals the end of decent food for Kyungsoo, he makes Luhan promise him that he'll at least wear the black jeans that they decided on after spending an hour and a half googling up things like 'Do men find dull or brighter black more attractive?' as Kyungsoo attempted to throw a book at Luhan because, what the heck is brighter black. After Luhan jubilantly agrees, Kyungsoo exhales deeply, knowing that he'll regret this, and follows Luhan through  the doors leading building.

               After who knows how long, Kyungsoo finally convinces a reluctant, look-look-there's-the-Chanel-store Luhan to sit down on a bench and actually rest for a few minutes. After a while, though, Luhan leaves, and Kyungsoo sits alone, still trying to get over his leg cramping up. Once he determines that it's okay to try and get up now, Kyungsoo does just that, and he awkwardly stumbles few feet before bumping into someone's chest.

"Oh, god, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..." Kyungsoo mumbles, and is reciprocated by a deep, rich laugh.

"It's fine. But we really do have a habit of running into each other, don't we?"

Kyungsoo looks up to see a familiar face, and, with a strangled sound he really hopes that he didn't make out loud, Kyungsoo recognizes the stranger as none other than Jongin.

"I--uh--yeah."

Kyungsoo wants to run into the nearest store, hide under a pile of clothes, and just lie there forever.

Jongin laughs again, and Kyungsoo finds himself smiling at the sound.

"So what are you doing here?" Jongin asks casually, as if Kyungsoo wasn't the most awkward being on the planet.

"I'm, uh, here to help Luhan shop. You told me you knew him, right?" Kyungsoo's question comes out as more of a statement, but Jongin doesn't seem to mind.

"Oh, yeah, isn't he going on a date with Sehun today or something? Sehun was totally freaking out about their, what did they call it, 'half year one month anniversary' this morning. I swear, he brushed his teeth like 20 times this morning."

So that's why they work out, Kyungsoo thought. Luhan and Sehun are both utterly crazy.

Turns out that Kyungsoo thought out loud, and it takes him a moment to register that Jongin is actually laughing not at his awkwardness but at something he actually said, which makes Kyungsoo feel as if maybe there was hope for him and Jongin, after all.

"So why are you here?" Kyungsoo finally collects the bravery to ask Jongin a question.

Jongin grins. "I'm actually here to find an outfit for the date I'm going on tonight."

Kyungsoo feels the hope shrivel up and die. Then again, it's not like someone that looks like Jongin wouldn't be seeing anyone. Kyungsoo smiles rather painfully, and tries to sound happy for Jongin.

"Oh, really? Wow, I bet you two will look very cute together," Kyungsoo's voice is full of dry happiness, and he wants to cringe at how fake his voice sounds.

"I--I think I'm just going to go now. Have fun at your date." Kyungsoo bows clumsily and strides away, leaving behind a very baffled Jongin.

 

A heartbroken Kyungsoo finds an equally heartbroken Luhan that is trying to get over the fact that the one shirt he wanted didn't come in his size. His friends foolishness makes him chuckle, and Kyungsoo feels a bit happier.

"Hey, Luhan, where's your date at?" Kyungsoo inquires of his friend. The word 'date' makes him a bit gloomy, and he resolves not to use the word date anymore, for at least the next week or so.

"That one restaurant near Baekhyun's apartment...you know, the really fancy French one?"

"Huh. And when, exactly, is it supposed to be?"

Luhan thinks for a moment.

"At seven, I think. Why?"

There is a moment of deadly silence at Kyungsoo pulls out his phone to check the time.

"It's like five thirty, and it's going to take us an hour or so to drive to the restaurant, and like two hours for you to get ready." Kyungsoo holds his breath as he waits for Luhans reaction.

"Well...okay."

"It's okay, Luhan, I'll get you there on time, stop freaki---wait, what do you mean okay?" Kyungsoo is shocked for the first time in a while at how Luhan reacts, and is completely befuddled as to what to say.

"I'm not going to leave here until I find the perfect outfit," Luhan says rather calmly, arms crossed, and Kyungsoo can only do his best to keep his mouth closed, because who was this and what did they do with Luhan. "Anyways, even if I do go there with a strand of hair out of place or a crappy outfit, Sehun's going to have to deal with me not being gorgeous all the time, sooner or later." And, yep, there Luhan was, Kyungsoo thought, rolling his eyes.

"But yeah, you should probably head to the restaurant first to save a seat before our reservation is cancelled because we didn't show up or something." Luhan stated.

"Isn't Sehun going to be there? He can just save a seat for you two," Kyungsoo's voice gets progressively quieter as he reaches the end of his sentence, Luhan's death glare on par with that of Sehun's. Knowing not to argue with that look, Kyungsoo goes to the parking lot, gets into his car, and starts off on his way to the restaurant.

               Kyungsoo reaches his destination, and gets out of the car. When he enters the restaurant, Kyungsoo feels immediately out of place. Dressed in a simple sweatshirt and light washed blue jeans, he is conspicuous amongst the other people in the restaurant. The aura inside is regal, and someone plays a grand piano upon an elevated stage, the bright light shining upon the piano contrasting the otherwise dimmed, golden lights that come from the half-moon lamps illuminating the rest of the room. Distracted for a second, Kyungsoo comes back to his senses and goes up to the counter.

"Hi, I'm here under the reservation for Luhan and Sehun?"

"Oh, yes. Right this way." The man comes out from behind the counter and walks toward the table that Luhan and Sehun had reserved. Kyungsoo is busy taking in the serene atmosphere, and finally tears his eyes away from the setting to thank the waiter for pulling out his seat for him. The waiter leaves, and Kyungsoo sits down and pulls his chair in, opening his mouth to apologize for Luhan's lateness. Kyungsoo looks up, and only then does he realize that the person sitting in front of him isn't Sehun.

It's Jongin.

Kyungsoo isn't sure whether to laugh or cry.

               He does an odd combination of both, and it comes out as an uncomfortable gurgle. Kyungsoo doesn't even have the heart to excuse himself, so he simply just gets up and starts toward the entrance. When he is steps away from the glass door, Kyungsoo sees Luhan pushing it open and coming inside.

"Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo ignores him and continues to storm out.

Luhan catches his arm, pulling Kyungsoo back inside the restaurant.

"What do you want, Luhan? You said no more Jongin, so what the hell is he doing here?!" Kyungsoo demands angrily, the look on his face morphing into surprise as Luhan shoves some clothes into his hands.

"Here, these are for your date." Luhan states, as if it were a fundamental thing that Kyungsoo was supposed to know.

"My...date." Kyungsoo repeats in monotone, obviously perplexed.

"Yes, your date with Jongin, stupid." Luhan stares expectantly at him, and Kyungsoo just stands there, trying to get a hold of what's happening. Luhan gets impatient, and decides to explain it for him.

"Sehun and I both knew that you two liked each other, and we figured that if we didn't do something about it, you two would end up dying alone. And I know you have an allergy to cat hair, so like, you wouldn't even be able to be a crazy cat lady, so that's depressing. Anyways, Sehun and I came up with a master plan in order to make you two come out on a date with each other without you two freaking the hell out and wanting to kill us, so here you are!" Luhan bubbles happily. "And really? Seven month anniversary? I'm not that crazy, you know," Luhan says, as the smile on his face turns into something of a frown.

Kyungsoo laughs nervously, still overwhelmed.

Luhan stares at him.

Kyungsoo stares back.

Luhan narrows his eyes dangerously. "Why are you still standing here? Go get changed."

Kyungsoo just stands there.

Luhan gets pissed. "Hello?! Earth to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo?"

"Right. Yes. Got it." Kyungsoo starts to make his way towards the restroom, only to be stopped by Luhan once again.

"If there's any awkward silences, just say a pick up line. It'll work. I promise." Luhan winks, and Kyungsoo doesn't have time to ask him about it as he is chided by Luhan down the steps and toward the washroom. Kyungsoo changes, checks his hair in the mirror to make sure that its decent, and then makes his way over to the table where Jongin is seated.

"So. I---sorry?" Kyungsoo manages to get out, and Jongin grins lazily at him.

"It's alright."

The mood is tense for a moment, and then Kyungsoo, the idiot he is, decides to lighten the mood.

"Do you know what my shirt is made of? Boyfriend material."

"..."

Kyungsoo is going to go home and draw on all of Luhan's DBSK posters.

"Ohmygod."

Kyungsoo is going to go home and rip up all of Luhan's DBSK posters.

Jongin starts laughing so loud that people dining nearby turn to look at him, and Kyungsoo starts to laugh along with him, although the laughter is more out of relief than anything.

"My doctor says I'm lacking Vitamin U." Jongin joins up on his charade, and after Kyungsoo figures out how to make his brain work properly again, Kyungsoo and Jongin both grin idiotically at each other.

"I'm Mr. Right. Someone said you were looking for me?"

"Does your left eye hurt? Because you've been looking right all day."

"Your body is made of 70% water, and I'm thirsty."

An awkward silence ensues.

"Oh god that was so creepy I'm sorry I don't even---" Kyungsoo quickly tries to backtrack.

"...can I borrow a kiss? I promise I'll give it back."

And then Jongin leans in and kisses Kyungsoo.

...

Kyungsoo is going to buy Luhan as many DBSK posters as his heart desires.