Chapter 20

Bend or Break [2014 ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER 20: BIG FAVOR

Haerin

 

“You know, he’s really nice. I like him,” Dad said as he placed the 3rd cake he baked today. It was a Sunday and the restaurant is closed like how it usually is every Sunday. For the nth time, dad is trying to convince me about Lee Taemin. When they got back from their trip to Brooklyn, they asked me what I did for the past days that they were gone and I told them the truth—I hung out with Lee Taemin.

 

“I mean he might be good for you Haerin,” He said, now putting on strawberries on top of the cake, “Come on, give me one reason why you can’t date him?”

 

“Dad, he’s really annoying and I don’t think we get along even that well. We argue a lot and we say crap straight on each other’s faces,” I shrugged, grabbing one strawberry from the bowl of fruits and chewed on it.

 

“Now that was how Payton and I were…actually, we still say on each other’s faces and stuff but we love each other. Not all couples are lovey-dovey, you know. Some couples are like two weird people in love. I think you and Taemin would be one of those dorks in love,”

 

Not all couples are lovey-dovey? Well, I don’t know about that. The last relationship I was in, we were really lovey-dovey and . We even believed in promises and forever and we celebrated our hundredth day. I was in a very sugary-sweet relationship so I don’t know how ‘not all couples are lovey-dovey’.

 

I did not say anything anymore. Besides, even if I did, my dad’s just going to continue teasing me about it. Which I would not like. I’ve had enough of it. He’s been trying too hard to push me towards Lee Taemin.

 

The chimes rang, signaling someone opened the door. My dad did not stop from making the cake though so I went out of the kitchen area to see who went in. Expecting Payton to be here, I was shocked to see Lee Taemin. As usual, he looks like he came straight out from a magazine. His look was always intimidating so I can’t help but stop and stare at him for a while before speaking up to him.

 

“Hi Sun Haerin,”

 

“You know you should be a celebrity,” I bluntly told him, walking out of the counter and he beamed a wide smile at me.

 

“You think so?” He asked as he twirled around as if showing me how perfect he looks in his black coat, a plain red sweater, black pants and brown boots. Same old, he had an artfully messy hair and sometimes I think he has never considered brushing it before, “I always get told I should try out to be one,”

 

I rolled my eyes, “Okay, whatever you say.”

 

He chuckled and suddenly pulled me into a hug. My eyes widened at his gesture as I let my mouth gape. Do I hug him back? I was about to lift my arms but I felt like it was a bad idea to hug him back. I don’t know why. He’s huggable. I mean, we cuddled while watching a movie just a few nights ago, why should hugging be an issue?

 

Just hug him, Haerin.

 

Come on.

 

I was about to hug him back but he pulled away, smiling widely at me, “You know you should eat some more,” He said, pinching my arms.

 

“And you should try brushing your hair for once,” I bit back and he gaped at me like it was the most shocking thing ever. He lifted a hand to touch his hair and let his fingers run through the black strands of his black locks. He looked really gorgeous doing that.

 

“I like my hair this way, thank you very much.” He said, puffing his cheeks.

 

“You know you should try styling it differently. But if you don’t want to, it’s okay. I guess I can just learn to like seeing your messy hair,”

 

“It’s not that messy okay? Stop making it sound like I don’t even dare to take a bath,”

 

“Oh my god, you actually take a bath?” I teased as he gasped at my statement.

 

“Hey!” He exclaimed. Suddenly, dad came out of the kitchen as I laughed at Taemin. He shifted his gaze from me to my dad, “Hi uncle Woobin,” He smiled and they brought each other to a one-arm man hug.

 

“Hi Taemin, are you here to visit my Haerin?” Dad asked nicely as he pulled me gently to him, totally making things awkward. I plastered a fake smile on my face as I looked up at my dad. I gave him the look. He coughed and smiled at Taemin, “You know what, I’ll go and leave you now. And Taemin, stay for dinner, okay?”

 

“I’d love to,” Taemin beamed.

 

“Nice. And maybe we can catch a replay tonight,” Of course they’re going to talk about basketball again. Dad pulled away from me, “Don’t forget to lock up the place if you guys are heading out, okay?”

 

“Okay,” Taemin and I answered in sync as we looked at each other. I arched a brow at him and he just smiled at me. Meanwhile dad chuckled, seemingly liking what just happened. Dad, can you not?

 

“Alright then. See you later,” And just like that, dad left. Taemin then turned to me with a wide grin on his face.

 

“What?” I arched a brow at him, “You look like a maniac right now,” I deadpanned. Taemin quickly stopped grinning and made a face at me. Taemin was about to open his mouth to say something but my phone started ringing loudly from my pocket. I looked at the caller I.D and it was unknown. Arching a brow, I pressed the ‘answer’ button and pressed the phone against my ear.

 

“Hello?” I answered but no one greeted me back but a soft sob from the other end of the line. It was bothering to be honest but it would be rude to just hang up, “Who’s this?” I asked and I felt Taemin shift on his place as he leaned in to hear whom was I talking to.

 

“H-H-Haerin,” A woman’s voice quivered. My brows creased as I heard the woman continue to cry.

 

“Mrs. Jin?” I furrowed my eyebrows. It’s Hyeri’s mother.

 

“Haerin, please. Help me.” She cried and I didn’t say a word. Help her with what? I still couldn’t get over the fact that she actually got to contact me, “Please. Help me help my daughter,”

 

“What- Mrs. Jin- I-”

 

She cried hard, “Please. Dong-min disowned Hyeri. Please, Haerin. My daughter is pregnant and Dong-min won’t let me go see her. I want to make sure she’s okay. I want to make sure she’s doing fine. My only daughter is facing this on her own and I should be by her side but Dong-min won’t let me. Please, Haerin. Please,” She was practically begging as she cried and I can feel my chest tighten as my brows creased.

 

“But Mrs. Jin-”

 

“Please. Haerin. I’m begging you.” I almost did not understand her as she muffled her words with her sobs and cries, “I know this is hard for you too but please, Haerin. I’m a mother. I’m a mother worried for her daughter. Just please help me. I know I’m asking for so much from you. But you’re the only one I can run to now, please.”

 

“But what do you want me to do Mrs. Jin? I’m in New York right now. I’m just as far as you are from your daughter,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone. Hyeri’s parents—Mrs. Jin Seulki and Mr. Jin Dong-min—are both in London, w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter