O u t i n g w i t h t h e K i m s

T H E N A R R A T O R
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I thought it was just a bakery honey?” mom asked as she got out of the car while the guards covered the area.

“They must have upgraded the shop. I hope it still taste as wonderful as ever though. Man I miss the ahjumma that always gave me free cupcakes” dad rubbed his stomach like a kid deprived of food.

When we entered, I immediately noticed homey feeling the café radiated, not only that but also the sweet aroma of food surrounding all of us.

“Good morning. What could I get you?” I was too busy snooping around the shop to actually care about my hunger anymore.

The owner designed the shop with pictures of the costumers and even the staff. The date and time was indicated on every picture that I see. I walked closer to a dead tree branch that was hanging from the ceiling, Polaroid pictures was hanging around the branches like leaves and most of them has messages but one picture coughed my attention. It was simple Polaroid of a teen, a very cute teen that is. Nothing seemed special of extravagant about it, not glitters or ribbons, though a thick black rimmed eyeglass adorned his face, only the beautiful smile that stretched across the boys face seemed to matter most.

I slowly picked the picture from the branch.

“What are you looking at?” I jumped in shock, almost letting go of the photo in hand.

“Nothing. Just looking through the pictures” I slid the photo on his back pocket before noona realizes that some was indeed wrong.

“Anyways” she rolled her eyes at my obvious attempt in distracting her “Appa said to come so he could introduce to us the ahjumma he’s been talking about”

I sighed in relief. After noona turned around “I’ll be there in a bit” I called. I slowly got the picture from my back pocket before sliding it safely into my wallet.

“Come one Myungsoo” my father called me.

“Ahjumma, this is my third son, Kim Myungsoo”  appa said proudly, as if he was presenting his mother his first place trophy.

“Aigoo, he looks like he’s a sweet young boy like you on your younger days Myungjin-ah” the older woman gave dad a motherly smile.

“How old are you dear?” her voice soft but full of sweetness.

“I’m already 18” I smiled shyly

“Aigoo, such pure child. My grandson is 17, I bet you’ll get along well” she smiled sweetly.

“Anyways, where are you staying?” she stared at my dad.

“We’re planning on checking in a nearby hotel. My appa's house is currently under renovation since both umma and appa are on a tour” my dad informed.

“Why don’t you stay in my house for a while? How many days are you saying that you’ll be staying here?” she asked, squinting her eyes at my dad, asking for the truth.

“2 weeks more or less” appa scratched the back of his head.

“You know I don’t accept a “no” for an answer” my father glanced at mom, seemingly asking for approval which she just smiled and gave a small nod.

“Arraso ahujumma” dad smiled brightly.

“Ommo. I almost forgot. Are you hungry? It has been a long ride from Seoul Right? Don’t worry, we have the best pastries in town” ahjumma ushered all of us into a table.

“Yes we are ahjumma. Would you give us the best you have?” my dad gave her a toothy grin. That must be the reason how he gets free st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter