Who Am I?

Strangers

Five minutes. That’s all I needed. That’s what I told Jay I needed. Five minutes to myself.

I was wrong. I needed more than five minutes. I needed a week, a month, a year probably.

Looking at the guests gathered in our spacious garden, I wondered how I could feel so alone with this large a crowd. But I did. For the first time in my life, I felt completely and utterly alone, an outsider looking at a crowd of elites. I was at a total loss as to why I was feeling this way. It was my crowd, my friends, my family that was out there. But I can no longer deny the feeling that has been gnawing at me for a week, or maybe it had been going on for much longer. I needed to get out of here and I needed to get out now.

I carefully placed the glass of wine I was holding on the nearest table I noticed. Five minutes later, I was out on the road, driving my convertible, relishing the fresh air and my freedom at the moment. My head was spinning with questions, questions I neither understood nor given a moment’s thought to answer. I knew I could not answer them even if I tried. I’ve tried once but failed. There was just no logical reason as to why I, Princess Park Sandara, heir to the wealthiest, most respectable royal family in all of Asia, engaged to the most charming, capable and romantic man in all history, felt empty – devastatingly empty. I had everything, everything any girl could possibly want and more. But I was not happy. For what seemed like the hundredth time that night, I asked myself the question, “Why do I feel so unhappy, so empty?” I sighed. Looking up at the stars, I hoped that they wouldn’t just shine so beautifully, I wish they would help me answer the questions swimming through my brain.

I have been driving for a full 20 minutes when my cellphone rang, I reached for it, still looking at the road. I hadn’t realized that I dropped it. And when I finally decided to look at the place I’d laid it earlier, it was not there, instead it was on the floor, still ringing. Checking for signs of any other cars approaching, I saw none, and so I ducked and reached for my phone. There was a loud bang, panicking, I hastily grabbed the phone, and ce more to the road, I was seconds too late. The moment I emerged, I saw the car coming my way, shock had taken over me completely, I was frozen in place. The car collided with mine. Realizing what happened, I looked from left to right, gripping the wheel so tightly attempting to gain control of it, but to no avail. I was growing weary and hopeless, I saw a huge boulder of rock then I decided to close my eyes and seconds later, I felt the impact as my car crashed. I tried to pry my eyes open, but I could only see darkness, I heard footsteps but the sound was growing fainter and fainter by the second. And then everything went black.

I struggle to open my eyes. It was hard. I was feeling very sleepy but something tells me I have to wake up and so I try. I blinked once trying to focus on what I was seeing. It was white. Everything was. I looked to her right and saw a man. A stranger. I looked at my hands and saw that his was resting on top of mine. I tried to move my hand but I was far too weak and it did little progress. He did notice it, however, and he raised his eyes to meet mine. He smiled, a warm smile that momentarily sent my heart beating in a quickened pace. Realizing this, I tried to regain control of my frantic beating heart, and when I finally succeeded, I returned his smile.

What a handsome face. I observed.

“Hi,” said the stranger. “How are you feeling?” he squeezed my hand and I flinched, taken aback. Probably seeing my discomfort, he snatched his hand away and muttered an apology.

“I’m…” he started to say.

“Where am I?” I heard myself say, but it was barely audible.

“You are in a hospital,” He replied instantly.

“I can see that. What I meant was.. What hospital? Who are you? And,” I swallowed the lump in my throat, making it difficult to talk.

“Who am I?”

***

Wattpad