Chapter 2: Past or Present

I'm Alive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There will always be two paths to one’s destiny

The one that will lead to the light

While the other fails to return

However Eun Soo saw three brick paths in front of her

On a very dark night with only one light that she carries

Her choice is her fate

Only you can decide fate between the two

But Eun Soo has something else she could follow as well

There are three different destinies that she can walk through

But all three lead to consequences

“Choose wisely Eun Soo, only you can decide how the world spins,”

*

Her eyes awoke from pitch darkness and shot out of bed. Her vision was blurred and blood-shot. Her legs were paralyzed and her cheeks felt like as though they were wet before. Eun Soo didn’t realize that she was crying in her sleep.

“Choose wisely Eun Soo, only you can decide how the world spins,”

She heard it in her head again. It wasn’t only in her dreams but why was she crying? Her breathing chucked up realizing the circulation wasn’t enough for her to inhale properly. She memorized the words from her dreams like they were being told to her in person.

“You know that wasn’t just a dream Eun Soo,” a voice of a man was heard in the room. Eun Soo looked up and down. All over the room but there was no presence of anyone being there. “It was a message.” She finally saw someone sitting on a chair with his arms crossed.

It was the man from before. Kim Sung Gyu. He was in the same white clothing, but there were no feathers on him this time. “Did you know that dreams can tell the future?”

He was calm yet threatening. Sung Gyu wasn’t supposed to be, however. His intention was for Eun Soo to follow his orders and understand the current situation she’s in. It was a top priority for her to not be seen. He’s following orders so he expects her to do the same as well.

“Where am I?” The girl asked. 

“You’re at an apartment now. This is where you’ll be staying until they arrive,” Sung Gyu answer with a clear but emotionless voice.

Eun Soo observed the room she was in. It was high-class room with a big painting above the bed head. There was a flat-screen TV in front of you with a desktop for any laptop use. On her left there was a tall mirror and an opened door which she assumes that is the bathroom. And on her left were two chairs and a window view of Seoul city. One of the chairs was pulled closer to her and being sat on by an Angel.

“They?” she gawked at his delicate features. He didn’t look surprised, but he did seem rather annoyed.

“Demons” He replied. “They will eat you if you don’t listen to what I’m about to say.” He continued. “It is important that you follow my instructions. Not only benefiting you but for me and this world. What I’m about to tell you will be shocking but please listen carefully.”

Eun Soo loosens her muscles and stretched before getting relaxed and to hear some story.

“Demons are dark creatures that eat humans. They prefer eating humans who have been reincarnated, though. That means you’re their target. We Angels are trying to protect them all. We’ve been called to protect each person who has been reincarnated.”

Eun Soo’s mouth felt dry yet she can taste the bitterness from the atmosphere. Already Sung Gyu gave chills down her spine. “But why to reincarnate me if I’m just going to be eaten?” her voice wasn’t clear but it was heard.

“Because…people like you can destroy demons.” The Angel sighed. “I would do it, but my powers aren’t enough to do the work. It was only made to protect.” He clenched his fists tight. He seemed determined to fight for Humanity, but he is already trying to exceed his limits.

The girl still had the bitter mouth. Is this true? She thought.

Yes it is

No, it isn’t

But it could be

How is there another voice in my head?

Because I am you

“NO YOU’RE NOT!” Eun Soo didn’t realize that she screamed it out. Sung Gyu didn’t look surprised at all. He only sighed and gently ruffled her messy bed-hair.

“Accept it Eun Soo. This is not a dream but reality. You were killed in the Seoul Earthquake three years ago,” a very blank monotone was used by the Angel. There was no emotion hinted in what he was saying. He carefully slid his hand down her face, only cup one side of her cheek. “Please, work with me on this and we can-”

She slapped his hand away from her. Sung Gyu was surprised by her actions and froze. “This…is…just…some…crazy…dream…is it not?”

Eun Soo felt weird.

“Just a strange one…”

She felt cold

“…I need someone…”

She felt insane

“…to hold me.”

Sung Gyu wasn’t sure what to do. He had never talked to a girl this much and this close. “Eun Soo…” he slowly reached his hand to grasp on her shoulder but was instantly pushed away. Eun Soo shot out of bed and left the apartment in a flash.

“EUN SOO!” he shouted. He stood up from the chair and left the room to follow her. He was panicking but he stopped when he saw her run down the stairs. Slowly, he grew a slight smirk realizing he had a plan. “Just you wait Eun Soo. You’ll believe me when you see it,” he chuckled for a moment and went back inside the room. 

*

Eun Soo was outside the apartment she was in and saw the crowd of people walking past. She realized that a lot has changed. There were new shops opened and some were closed down or getting renovated.  

But that didn’t make her believe it was a dream. It did in fact feel like reality was clashing in her dreams. That guy is just some crazy stalker; she thought and kept on thinking that until she finds her family.

The first thing she promised herself is to find her family in a problematic situation. She had no money with her, but she knew this area isn’t far from where her house is.

She began to make her move and went left. Running from this dream is what she hoped to do.

It’s just a dream

No, it is not Eun Soo

Yes it is

You are in reality now

Stop lying!

I am not

“SHUT UP!” she knew that she screamed it out, but she was still running. Strangers were looking at her as she passed them. They gave her questioning looks, but that didn’t concern the girl.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter