Sign

Twins Story

“Hae-oppa, why don’t we go out together later? This is your birthday, you should make some fun,” Jessica said while they walk in the corridor. “come on, your dad must be allow you, don’t study too much,”

Donghae slip his hands inside his blazer’s pocket, he doesn’t say anything. He knows Jessica was such a sweet girlfriend. Although till now, Donghae never know if he loves her or not. Jessica’s father and his are best friend since junior high. They both decided to let Donghae and Jessica become couples. Jessica’s dad never know that Donghae has a twin brother who left him together with their mom and they’re in nowhere now.

Donghae still remember when their parents fought hardly then decided to divorce, him and Hyukjae still 8 years old at that time, watching them mouth-fight with loud voice and bad words. He also still remember that Hyukjae hug him and covered her ears to avoid the hurtful voice from their parents. Little Donghae crying on his twin’s brother shoulder. And little Hyukjae who was so strong and calm comfort him without tears on his both eyes. He always trying to hold his tears for his twin’s brother.

After the fight, without say anything their mom took Hyukjae forcefully. Donghae hold his hand and begging on his mom to do not take Hyukjae with her. and they separated for 10 years.

“oppa, didn’t you hear what I’m saying just then?” Jessica shake Donghae’s hand.

“eh, what?” Donghae stares Jessica and bows his head. “sorry Sica, I’m just… you know… today…”

Jessica smiling and she touch Donghae’s hair. “I know oppa, don’t worry, I just want to tell you that maybe we can go out together today, at least you can have a lot some fun, come on… today is your birthday right?”

“yeah,” Donghae thinking for a while and he smiles. “okay, we will go to mall or anywhere you want, what do you think?”

Jessica claps her hand and she hug Donghae very tight. Every girls in their school always envy toward Jessica because she can get Donghae easily. But they should admit it that both of them are such a good couple. Jessica is a leader of cheerleader squad, she’s beautiful, rich and also sweet. The girls always believe that Jessica has a high taste about boys. But they never thought that she will fall for Donghae, a boy who loves library and books. Although he’s handsome and rich but for the real, Donghae is a little bit nerd, even bored.

But why Jessica looks so in love with him? She never care about what people said about her relationship with Donghae. As long as they love each other everything around them are nothing.

 

***

 

“oppa, look!” Hyoyeon run to approach Hyukjae who seems so busy with his dance activity. “I have something to tell you and I bet you will be happy!”

“what is it Hyo? Don’t say that you want me to accompany you to dance together,” Hyukjae teases her but Hyoyeon just glares at him. “just kidding, what is it?”

Hyoyeon’s face turn bright once again and she excitedly explain everything that she wants to say, Hyukjae listening to her patiently until he got shock after Hyoyeon end up with her words.

“we got a scholarship? Because of our dance’s achievement? And we should getting into a great school in Seoul?” Hyukjae let his mouth drop out but then he laughs very hard. “no way!”

Hyukjae leaving Hyoyeon who just stares him with confuse face. As soon as possible she follow Hyukjae, trying to convince him since this is a big chance for them. Hyukjae didn’t like school since junior high because he hates books and homeworks so much while Hyoyeon still has an education till now. Because they had an achievement in dancing Hyukjae still survive in his school.

“come on oppa, this is our chance to find some new dance move in Seoul,” Hyoyeon hold his arm. “I heard Seoul’s dancers are amazing, we need to meet them and get some lesson,”

“what about my mom Hyo? I won’t let her leaving alone here, by herself! I don’t care about the scholarship, I won’t take it if I must leaving my mom! Got it?” Hyukjae pour the water inside the glass. Then he drinks it.

“but, you always says to me that you will grow your dance to the world, oppa! This is your way, Seoul! We can go in there together,” Hyoyoen start to beg. “and will attend into Jeonju, the best school in Korea! It has a big dance stage and you can dance all day long as much as you want oppa, come on…”

Hyukjae smiles and he shakes his head. “you know that I hate school very much! I don’t care about the best school, I don’t care about if it has a big dance stage, I just want to work here and live together with my mom, not else,”

Hyoyeon looks disappointed and she sitting on the couch. Hyukjae opens the refrigerator while singing a bit. Slowly he turns his head toward Hyoyeon, he knew she was really excited about this. But Hyukjae doesn’t want to leave his mom. He will do anything to his dance’s career except leaving his mom. Hyoyeon take a deep breath, Hyukjae decided to sit next to her.

“please understand me Hyo, my mom only live alone here, she has no one except me, and she’s a woman and me as a man should protect and take care of her, although I love dance till the death but my mom is number one, I’m sorry…” Hyukjae caress Hyoyeon’s hair.

“maybe I’m woman, but I still stronger than you!”

They turn around and find Mrs. Lee appear on the door. She sit next to Hyoyeon and gaze her son deeply, she knows how much Hyukjae love dance. She never mind about his activity as long as he can enjoy it. But now, this is his big chance, very golden chance. Hyukjae should change his life, maybe with this scholarship and also his talent in dance he can reach his dream. She should support him no matte what happen.

“don’t worry about me Hyukjae-ah, just like I said I still stronger than you, you should reach your dream, and this is your big chance,”

“but omma…”

“prove me if you’re true man!” Mrs. Lee touch Hyukjae’s cheek. “comeback here with “the best dancer in Korea” then you can take care of me,” Mrs. Lee smiles. “I’m so proud of you Hyukjae-ah, don’t waste this chance because this is not come for second time, understand?”

Hyukjae bites his lip, he turn his head toward Hyoyeon. Her eyes looks still hoping. Well, this is really his big chance to prove the world that he’s a good dancer. Seoul, yeah! A big city with so many great dancers in there. His mom’s was right. He can’t just waste this chance.

“well, maybe… I can try…” Hyukjae said and Hyoyeon grinned happily. “but, omma… are you okay with this?”

“absolutely!” Mrs. Lee hugs Hyoyeon.

“when we gonna go Hyo?”

“2 weeks away oppa, don’t worry! We will living in school without need to pay for everything, scholarship has handled our need as long in there,” Hyoyeon said in happy voice.

“I see… well, let’s just end it up here okay? We need to practice now,” Hyukjae warns Hyoyeon. “I’ll see you later omma,”

“okay, careful guys,” Mrs. Lee said.

 

***

 

Donghae closes his chemistry book as his eyes start to teary because of tired. He lay on his bed, and rub his head to relax for a while. Don’t know why he feels so restless tonight. He trying to calm himself with study, playing football and swimming in his luxurious house. He hugs his pillow the slowly closes his eyes. Why he feels so weird now? His birthday is almost ended a few hours away. Finally he decided to make a glass of milk.

He was about to take the glass but then he realize that his dad was standing on the balcony alone. He stares the stars on the sky. Donghae hold himself to make a milk then he walks toward his father. The old man looks so restless as well.

“appa, you’re not sleeping yet?” Donghae calls him.

“ah, Donghae-ya, yes I’m not yet, what about you?” Mr. Lee turn back and smiling at his son. “you should go to sleep, tomorrow is school right?”

“I know… but I can’t sleep…” Donghae shrug his shoulder.

“really? What’s happen? Maybe you’re too much studying, didn’t Jessica warn you?”

“she did, always , every time,” Donghae chuckles. Mr. Lee tap his shoulder and laughed. “don’t know why appa, I feel so restless tonight…”

“why?”

“wish I can answer it properly…” Donghae sighs. “I don’t know why I feel like… you know? Strange…I’m just thinking that I will meet somebody soon…”

“what do you mean?” Mr. Lee looked confuse and he laughs. “you will meet somebody? It’s Jessica right? Who else? Don’t think too much son, you will tired later,”

“hmm yeah… but…”

“just try to get sleep…” Mr. Lee pat his son’s shoulder. “I’ll see you tomorrow, don’t forget to eat your vitamin so you won’t easy to get sick,”

“yes appa…”

The old man leaving Donghae on behind. Leaving him with still confuse mind.

“appa…” Donghae calls him as he feels that his heart beating so fast. The old man turn around.

“yes?”

“I… I think… this somebody… is that someone I know… more than Jessica…” Donghae said softly. “I know this person… very well…”

Mr. Lee paused for a while and he just smiling. “go to sleep son, you’re absolutely tired…”

Donghae paused in his place. Then slowly he sighs. Why he feels like this? Is this a sign? A sign for what?

 

***

 

Hyukjae watching the stars when the night come. He hugs his knee and feel a little bit restless. Why he can’t fall asleep? He usually getting asleep after practice, but now his eyes refuse to close off. He never feel like this and he wonders what the causing is. Hyukjae start to think about his scholarship. Seoul, scholarship, Jeonju, dance… all of them are around inside his head now.

“Hyukjae-ah,”

He turns around and found his mom standing behind him. He make a sweet smile on his lips then move a bit to gives her a place. Mrs. Lee stares his son deeply.

“why don’t you go to sleep? It’s late already…” Mrs. Lee fix his long hair.

“I can’t sleep omma…” Hyukjae said in tremble voice.

“why is it? Come on, tell me…”

Hyukjae sighs. “I’m not sure if I should go to Seoul, I love to be here omma, I love to be with you in here and… I don’t wanna go…”

“I think we talked about this yesterday right? Remember about what I said?”

“but omma…” Hyukjae gazes his mom with sad eyes. “how can I live you here? I can’t do it, I can’t live you alone… you have nobody except me…”

“I still have a God,” Mrs. Lee said. “don’t worry about me, you should grab your dream Hyukjae, you can stay in here and works anything… you have a talent… and it’s need to grow up,”

“I know… but…”

“thinking about your dream and your future, I will always support you… no matter what happen…” Mrs. Lee said as she stands up. “go to sleep now, okay?”

Hyukjae paused and he nods his head. When his mom about to continue walking he calls her.

“omma,” the lady turn around to meet her son’s eyes. “I… I don’t know why… I feel like… will meet somebody that I know… in there…”

Mrs. Lee lifts her eyebrows. “really? That’s impossible, you never come to Seoul how can you say that you can meet somebody that you know in there… ah, maybe it’s Hyoyeon! You miss her right?”

“I know… I never go to Seoul before… at least when I still in 8 years old,” Hyukjae said and his mom still listening to his words carefully. “but… I think… I know this person more than Hyoyeon…I know this person… very well…”

Mrs. Lee doesn’t say anything and she smiling. “it’s already late, your bed must be waiting for you son, go to sleep now, okay?”

Hyukjae still stay in his place until his mom disappears. He bows his head and hide his face on his knee. What is this? What is this feeling? Is this… a sign?