1/1

Haunted By Our Past

A/N: So, I don't normally do this but I practically listened to only ONE song on repeat while writing this [because jaejaelove told me to] so I thought maybe you would want to know the theme song. <--right there. I suggest listening to it... know how I felt. 

ENJOY 


            Yongguk awoke with his arms around the other man in his bed. It wasn’t an unusual awakening; no gasp, no bad feelings lingering from his dreams, no sun shining in his eyes, nothing. It was a normal day, or night since he was a vampire, in his normal bed which he had shared with the vampire beside him for at least a century. He snuggled in closer to the sleeping figure, hoping that sleep would sweep him away, or the smell of the other’s hair would fill him with some type of good emotion, but instead he was left feeling empty.

            ‘I wish I could love you like how I used to love…’ Anguish flowed over him as he thought about just how much his ability to love had dimmed.

            Realizing his quest for sleep was pointless, he rolled onto his back so he could stare at the ceiling. Yongguk sighed, wishing that the pit of darkness within him was something that he could fight off. He looked over at his nightstand to check the time and when his vision fell upon the calendar beside it, everything made sense yet made everything worse.

            ’Another year has passed, huh?’ Yongguk felt like he was being swallowed deeper into the dark hole which was slowly threatening to keep him curled up in bed all day.

            Not wanting to wake up the person beside him, he pulled his arm out from under them gently and got out of the bed. A small smile tugged on his lips as he noted just how cute the other was. He placed a tender kiss on their forehead and watched as the dark haired vampire snuggled deeper into the blankets. Even the cute scene in front of him couldn’t pull Yongguk from the depression that was drowning him. He left the man who was the sunshine in his life of darkness so he could take a shower and prepare for the day.

            But, being alone, Yongguk couldn’t help the bittersweet memories that reminded him of why he was where he was today.

------

            “Jongup, would you clean up your game consoles and Youngjae… Youngjae why do you have so many books lying around?” Yongguk was dashing around the living room at lightning speed, trying to clean. He had already cleaned the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom of their little house. Now he was working on the living room, the messiest room of all, thanks to his makeshift vampire family.

            Jongup walked out of the downstairs back rooms yawning while wiping the sleep out of his eyes. His caramel brown hair was tousled and sticking up in every direction. “Why are you cleaning so early? It’s only 6pm… the sun is still up.”

            “Daehyun is coming over.” Yongguk couldn’t help the smile that lit up his face.

            Coming down from the stairs, Youngjae rolled his eyes before fixating a glare at the leader. “Daehyun has seen our house before… and it isn’t even messy right now.”

            “There are things everywhere!” Yongguk gestured at the few things scattered around the living room.

            If looks could kill, Yongguk would be six feet under because of Youngjae’s glare. “Who are you Himchan? The place looks fine!”

            “What about me? Why the hell are we yelling so early in the night?!” Himchan appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

            “Yongguk is cleaning.” Youngjae glowered before running a hand through his dark brown locks.

            Himchan fixed his heated look on Yongguk who stuck his arms out. “Daehyun is coming over!”

            “Oh for ’s sake, Yongguk.” Himchan rubbed his temples. “Your pet human has seen our house before. Is a little clutter really going to scare him away now? I didn’t realize you thought so little of your… skills.” Himchan made a point to look down at Yongguk’s crotch before meeting the eldest’s eyes again.

            “Yah! That has nothing to do with this!” Yongguk scowled. “Is it wrong to want to impress my boyfriend and welcome him into a clean home? Also, stop ing calling him my pet, Himchan.”

            Himchan shrugged. “I call it as I see it. What more can a human be to a vampire besides food?”

            Yongguk bared his fangs at Himchan. “Daehyun is neither food nor a pet.”

           “Can I go back to sleep?” Jongup asked, having straightened out the gaming center in front of the television.

            “You can… but Daehyun was going to make everyone breakfast.” Yongguk answered.

            “Breakfast?!” Jongup instantly looked awake.

            “He’s making breakfast? Not eating it?” Youngjae chuckled.

            “I’ve never seen a human eat so much and not gain weight.” Himchan sighed.

            Yongguk’s fangs retracted as the atmosphere in the room lightened. “Well…”

            “I still don’t see why we have to clean…” Youngjae pouted as he reluctantly began to pick up his books and notebooks.

            “I’m going to shower. Jongup, you should wake up Zelo.” Himchan disappeared up the stairs before Jongup could reply, but he knew Jongup wouldn’t question his orders.

            “Amazing how things get done once food is brought up.” Yongguk shook his head.

            “Well, we don’t need it.” Youngjae shrugged. “So it’s a rare treat when someone actually cooks around here.”

            Yongguk chuckled. “Jongup likes cooking.”

            “Yeah, but he forgets to go shopping and then we get too lazy to go buy things.” Youngjae frowned once he put his books up on the bookcase. “Yongguk… what is so special about today? We didn’t clean when Daehyun came over last time…”

            Yongguk paused in thought. He threw away the paper towels he had used to dust off the tables and looked over at Youngjae. “Here I thought it was too early for you to be smart.”

            Youngjae smirked as he leaned against the bookcase. “It’s never too early.”

            Yongguk chuckled but slowly the smile dropped as Yongguk showed Youngjae the worry he was hiding. “It’s been almost two years since Daehyun and I started dating.”

            “No ?” Youngjae said in surprise. “Wha— oh…”

            Yongguk nodded. “He’s getting older. I thought… I thought maybe…”

            “Now might be a good time to ask if he wanted to be turned?” Youngjae said sadly as he helped Yongguk finish his train of thought.

            “That was the plan…” Yongguk looked to Youngjae to see what the younger thought.

            Youngjae sighed as he pushed off the bookcase. “I don’t know Yongguk. Turning… is this what you want for him? And you know relationships don’t always work out. Remember Himchan and—“

            “I turned Zelo for less…Plus, Himchan’s relationship that was different, right?”

            “I—“ The doorbell ringing interrupted him. “I guess we’ll find out.”

            Yongguk was already walking to the door with a goofy grin on his face. He could hear Youngjae laughing at him as he walked in the opposite direction but Yongguk ignored him. He paused at the door, taking a deep breath and letting it go to try calming his heart. They may have been together over a year already but that didn’t stop Yongguk’s heartbeat from quickening whenever the other male came into his vision.

            He opened the open and was met with a dazzling smile. Yongguk returned it without thinking as he stared. Daehyun had recently dyed his hair black, something he and Zelo had decided to do while watching TV and the dark color really suited the human in Yongguk’s opinion. Daehyun was dressed casually in jeans, and a grey shirt under a red plaid flannel.

            Daehyun’s chuckle brought Yongguk from his staring. “Are you going to invite me in or are you just going to stare at me all day? You can even do both.”

            Yongguk chuckled, before bending forward to kiss Daehyun softly on the lips. “Come on in, love.”

            “Daehyun!” Zelo shouted once Daehyun walked in.

            “Hey, Zelo.” Daehyun hugged the tall man. “I’m surprised to see you up.”

            “Jongup told me you are going to make breakfast!” Zelo peeked into the bags Daehyun was carrying.

            “Breakfast?” Daehyun laughed. “I suppose so… it’s dinner for me though.”

            Zelo cheered. “Food!”

            “But the real question is if we will be able to eat any before it disappears.” Youngjae said as he walked into the room.

            Yongguk frowned but Daehyun laughed. “There should be enough even if I snack while eating.”

            “Weren’t you going to go shower?” Yongguk asked.

            Youngjae grabbed his cellphone from the side table. “Need to check our stocks.”

            “I’m going to go practice skateboarding.” Zelo smiled. “Call me when the food is ready.”

            “You’ll be the first!” Daehyun promised.

            With that, Zelo left the room and Youngjae walked back up the stairs with his eyes glued to his phone. With a smile on his face, Yongguk took the heavy bags from Daehyun and headed to the kitchen.

            “I could have carried them.” Daehyun protested.

            “I know.” Yongguk kissed his cheek. “But I like helping you when I can.”

            Daehyun scoffed. “When do you not help me?”

            Yongguk smiled so widely his gums showed but he didn’t answer. Daehyun chuckled knowing that Yongguk meant he would always help him so he walked further into the kitchen to start preparing to cook. After Yongguk put the bags down on the counter he quickly made his way over to Daehyun and wrapped his arms around him from behind.

            Daehyun chuckled as he leaned into Yongguk. “I won’t be able to cook like this.”

            Yongguk hummed as he breathed in Daehyun’s scent. “I missed you.”

            Daehyun pulled at Yongguk’s arms, so Yongguk loosened his hold a bit and Daehyun turned around so he could hug Yongguk. “I missed you too. I wish I could see you every day.”

            Yongguk tensed. ‘Is this it? Is this a good moment to ask? Will there ever be a better time? Or is it too soon… I should wait until later… but how will I bring it up later?’

            “Yongguk?” Daehyun frowned as he pulled back. “Are you okay?”

            “Yeah, I’m… Daehyun, I have something… why don’t we sit down…” Yongguk pulled the confused Daehyun over to the kitchen table.

            “What’s wrong?” Daehyun asked in concern as he held onto Yongguk’s hands.

            Yongguk looked at Daehyun, really looked him. He saw the worry etched in his face but beneath that Yongguk knew was a smile that had the power to brighten his day and a contagious laugh that never failed to lift Yongguk’s mood. The fingers that were rubbing his hands had a calming effect on Yongguk even though slightly calloused from playing the guitar.

            It was quite possible Daehyun would decline his request and the thought had Yongguk pausing. ‘But who knows what will happen tomorrow… every second I wait is a second he gets older and has a chance to die.’

            Yongguk took a deep breathe. “Daehyun, I love you. I haven’t felt this so strongly in my whole life. Every time you aren’t with me I wish you were and don’t think—no, I know, it won’t change.”

             “I know it has only been about two years.” Yongguk’s voice started to quiver from his nerves. “But I wanted to ask you if you wanted me to turn you…”

            “Into a vampire?” Daehyun said slowly, the shock evident in his tone.

            Yongguk nodded. “It doesn’t have to be now, but I just wanted to ask. I hope you will think about it at least.”

            “Yongguk, I hate when I’m not beside you and I love you with all my heart.” Daehyun smiled as he looked at the table.

            Yongguk squeezed his hands. “I know it is a lot to think about; this will definitely change your life and lifestyle so, please take all the time you need to think about it. And either way… either way I would still want to be with you.”

            “I don’t need any more time—“

            Daehyun stopped when they heard the sound of a window breaking. Yongguk looked over and saw a bomb rolling to a stop on the living room carpet.

            “Grenade!” Yongguk screamed to warn his family.

            He grabbed Daehyun and ran at his top speed back into the kitchen. The grenade exploded just as he got them both behind the counter.

            “Yahoo!” A male’s voice erupted into laughter. “Prepare to die bloodsuckers!”

            “Again I have to ask, are you sure vampires live here? In the suburbs?” A lighter voice spoke up.

            Yongguk looked at Daehyun seriously. “You need to run away. I’ll distract them so you can run away. Zelo is out back and he can keep you safe until they are gone.”

            “Who are they?” Daehyun was struck still by fear. The random gun firing wasn’t helping either.

            “Vampire hunters; Daehyun I need you to go.” Yongguk gently shook the younger hoping to encourage him to move.

            Daehyun nodded automatically and slowly rose to his feet, Yongguk beside him. Once Yongguk was sure he could move on his own, he released Daehyun and moved out into the open. Seeing the dangerous men in his house set his blood on fire, just like his now ruined living room. Yongguk’s fangs slid down as he hissed at the seven men.

            “Awh, looks like we didn’t kill the leader. Break up and go track down the others, boys.” The platinum blonde covered in tattoos smirked.

            “None of you will be leaving here alive.” Yongguk growled a warning before moving faster than they could blink.

            He had his hand around the tall purple haired boy and snapped his neck like it was a twig. A barrage of bullets were fired his way along with curses as the hunters watched their comrade fall to the ground. Yongguk moved so that the hunters would have to turn their back to the kitchen in order for Daehyun to escape. He couldn’t watch to see if Daehyun had left since he had to keep his eyes on the bullets flying towards him as well as stay out of the way of the growing flames around him.

            Yongguk dove forward and grabbed the closest male; his cat-like features would have made Yongguk assume he was a were-cat if he didn’t smell so strongly of human. He was using the man as a shield and was about to snap his neck when a voice stopped him.

            “A human?!”

            Yongguk felt a chill run over him. Gradually he lifted his head over the human’s shoulder and saw that the orange haired man was holding Daehyun by his throat. Yongguk felt himself start to shake. “Let him go.”

            The cat-like man in his grip started to laugh. “Looks like we captured your special human.”

            The leader looked at Daehyun in disgust. He crossed the room and grabbed Daehyun. “A traitor to the human race. A disgrace and I’ll have to show you just how we treat people like you.”

            “Yongguk!”

            “Take care of him while I take this out to the van.”

            Yongguk’s grip on his hostage tightened as he watched Daehyun get dragged out of the house. He grasped the man so hard that the bones in his arms broke. The screaming snapped Yongguk back into reality. These men had to die and he had to rescue his boyfriend.

            Yongguk pushed the man forward towards his friends. “Jongup! Himchan!”

            The hunters paled and Yongguk would have smirked from pride. These men were stupid and hadn’t watched all the exits of the house or they would have realized that there was more than one vampire lived there. With Yongguk finally giving the others permission to join the fray instead of packing up their stuff, much was the procedure when these things happened, the hunters would be dead within moments.

            Jongup barreled out from the hallway taking out the redhead who had grabbed Daehyun initially and Himchan jumped off the stairs’ landing in the middle of the remaining hunters.

            “Go!” Himchan screamed to Yongguk.

            Yongguk wasted no time replying as he ran out the front door, hoping against all logic that Daehyun hadn’t been injured yet. He was out the door and running towards them in time to see the tattooed man pistol whip Daehyun for struggling against him. Yongguk hadn’t thought it was possible to run faster but he was at the bottom of his driveway in under a second.

           He punched the back of the man’s head and grabbed Daehyun before he fell along with the vampire hunter. Once Daehyun was steady, Yongguk was on top of the hunter and pummeling his face into the ground. After a few good blows, Yongguk swung his fist as hard and as fast as he could at the man’s face, effectively destroying him.

            Satisfied that his enemy was dead, Yongguk stood up and looked at Daehyun. The other seemed shocked and Yongguk felt his world crashing around him. “Daehyun…”

            Daehyun shook his head and grabbed Yongguk’s arm. “Are you okay? Did any of the bullets get you?”

            Yongguk smiled and hugged Daehyun, overwhelmed with how relieved he was that the younger still loved him even with what was going on. “I heal so I’ll be fine. How are you my love?”

            Daehyun’s shaking arms encircled Yongguk’s waist. “I’m scared, but I’ll be okay.”

            “Good.” Yongguk sighed in relief.

            They stood there basking in their love for one another and just how thankful they were that they were both still alive. This wasn’t the life Yongguk would have chosen and he knew he shouldn’t want Daehyun to come over willingly, but the need to always be with him burned through Yongguk’s veins.

            It wasn’t until Yongguk heard the police sirens coming closer that he realized they were in trouble.

            “Police?” Daehyun groaned.

            Yongguk looked around and saw people outside of their houses staring at them in fear. ‘Why did Himchan think it was good to live in the suburbs?’

            “Come on.” Yongguk pulled Daehyun back to the burning house.

            “The house is on fire!”

            “I know, don’t worry I won’t let anything happen to you.” Yongguk kissed Daehyun’s hand.

            “Yongguk! I hear sirens!” Himchan said once Yongguk walked in.

            “I know.” Yongguk looked around and was happy to see the vampire hunters dead and their personal belongings out of the living room. “How is the packing going?”

            Youngjae ran down from the upstairs with boxes in his arms. “Zelo and Jongup are already at our stashed van down the road. These are the last things that I’m bringing over.”

            “We should get going then.” Yongguk hesitated as he looked at Daehyun. “You can come with us if you want… even as a human.”

            “Yongguk the cops just pulled up! We need to go!” Himchan said frantically.

            “Not to mention the fire burning the house down.” Youngjae mumbled.

            Daehyun shook his head. “I can’t go—not because I don’t want to, but because those people outside took our pictures. I still have family here who will be looking for me. I need to stay and clear my name so that they won’t put out a search for me.”

            “Daehyun…”

            Daehyun caressed Yongguk’s face. “You saved me today, let me return the favor by distracting the cops so you can get away.

            Yongguk covered Daehyun’s hands with his larger ones as his eyes closed so he could hide the sadness in them. “This isn’t how today was supposed to be…”

            “Everything will be okay…” Daehyun kissed Yongguk’s lips gently.

            “This is the police! Come out with your hands up!”

            “Yongguk we really need to go before they surround the house!” Himchan shouted over the crackle of wood burning.

            “Is no one concerned about the roof collapsing on us…” Youngjae started backing up. “I’ll meet you both at the van.”

            “Daehyun,” Yongguk opened his eyes so he could stare at Daehyun, getting in once last look. “I’m going to leave a bottle of my blood under the tree where we first met, enough that if you drink a sip every day it will keep you from aging for at least a century. It shouldn’t take me longer than that to find you if you truly want to live forever with me.”

            “Yongguk…” Daehyun’s eyes started to water so Yongguk pulled him in for a hug.

            “I love Daehyun. I’ll find you one day, I promise.”

            Daehyun hugged back just as tightly. “I love you too Yongguk, I really do. Please, don’t ever forget that.”

            Yongguk smiled. “Never, I’ll love you forever.”

            Yongguk kissed Daehyun, trying to memorize the feel of them until the next time they met. Daehyun was the first to pull away, a brave smile on his face. “Goodbye, Yongguk.”

            Himchan tugged harshly on Yongguk’s arm, pulling him from Daehyun. “We have to go!”

            Yongguk spared one last look back and saw Daehyun exit the front door safely. The next minute Himchan and he were outside running to the van. Yongguk could feel his chest tightening, but he tried to stay strong.

            “Are you going to be okay?” Himchan asked softly.

            Yongguk forced a smile. “Yes, the cops don’t have any evidence on him and the witnesses will be able to verify that we were the ones initially attacked. I know I’ll see him in the future.”

            “That confident he will accept?” Himchan asked.

            “He loves me and I love him.” Yongguk nodded.

            Himchan hesitated as they slowed to a walk so they wouldn’t raise suspicions. “Are you sure it is right to change him? Love fades… I loved Hyosung too but after 2 centuries we ended up not being able to stand each other.”

            “My love for Daehyun will never fade. I’ll love him for eternity and I’m going to prove it.” Yongguk smiled widely with no doubts in his mind. It was sad that he was leaving his love behind, but they would be able to start again in the future. They would have forever to make up for lost time.

---

            Yongguk’s words of promise rang through his head, haunting him as they swirled around seemingly cutting his insides over how happy he had been. He pulled on a hoodie before slipping on his shoes and headed out the door of his apartment as his bedmate continued sleeping. He kept his hood up and his head down as he walked down the street. Yongguk had walked this path many times, so many times that it was impossible to count and his feet knew the path without him even directing them.

            Through a set of iron gates and off the paved path, eventually Yongguk made it to his destination. As he slowly raised his head the endless darkness within him expanded. He gripped his pant pocket and heard the letter he kept there crinkle.

            Yongguk fell to a crouch after reading the words on the stone once again, the words permanently engraved on his brain.

Here Lies Daehyun Jung

June 28, 1993 – August 10, 2093

Loving Father and Caring Husband

            “I never thought I would find you like this… not like this.” Yongguk choked back the tears, surprised he still had so many left after the thousand years it had been since he had last seen Daehyun.

            Yongguk wiped his nose on his sweater sleeve as he pulled the letter out of his pocket. As much as he hated how Daehyun wasn’t with him, he was glad that the younger had at least replaced the bottle of blood Yongguk had buried with the letter. He read over the tear marked ink that detailed how Daehyun didn’t want to become a vampire and live forever.

            Yongguk sniffed and stared at the tombstone. He couldn’t blame the younger for wanting a family and he even understood the feeling of wanting to grow old. Eternity wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, especially when you were heartbroken.

            “I’m sorry I couldn’t be what you wanted me to be.” Yongguk buried his face in his arms again. “If there was a way, I would have tried to become human for you… my love.”

            Yongguk’s mourning was interrupted by the shrill of his cellphone ringtone. He pulled it out of his back pocket and answered it without looking.

            “Hello?” Yongguk tried to cover up the sound of his grief.

            “Yongguk where did you go?!” Yongguk could practically hear the pout the other was surely wearing.

            “I just went out for a bit.” Yongguk sniffed as he stood upright again. “Did I wake you when I left, Zelo?”

            “No, but you should have! You aren’t here so I miss you.”

            Yongguk let out a pitiful laugh as more tears streamed down his face. “I’m sorry. I’ll be back soon.”

            “Come straight back, okay? I’ll get ready and we can go eat somewhere!”

            Yongguk lips tried to curl into a smile over how cute the younger was but, he just couldn’t get himself to do it. He pocketed his phone, still staring at Daehyun’s tombstone. He hung his head in shame.

            “I wish I could let you go already… Zelo deserves better than me. He stays even though he knows I will never love him as much as I love you.” Yongguk lifted his head again to look at all he had left of Daehyun. “I still love you, Daehyun, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop.”

            Yongguk sighed. He knew he couldn’t stay there all day. Hurriedly, he wiped the tears off of his face. He gave the tombstone one last look before slowly walking away. The darkness would never leave him, but at least he was getting better at dealing with it. He had eternity to live and somehow he would try to carry on normally, hoping that each day would bring him a little more peace than the last.


A/N: I don't know about you all but I cried while writing this 

TT_TT I'm so friggin' sensitive... 

...for those of you who didn't cry or wish to cry more another friend suggested this song to me as I was making the final edits. 

Excuse me while I go cry again over Bangdae singing I Remember... the lyrics... WHY!??!?