Chapter 3 : There's something sparkling in between...

~* [한번만더 ... One More Time] *~

Suzy rested her head on the coffee table in the living room. Her body seemed to be burried by a pile of newspapers and magazines spreaded on the floor. She looked so desperate.

GD walked outside from the bathroom with a towel circled on his neck. He was walking to the kitchen to get a bottle of cold water from the fridge when he found Suzy was lyiing helplessly covered by so many gossip tabloid and newspapers on the floor. He shook his head in disbelief.

 

“Are you serious? You read that news the whole day... and here you are, still reading them...”, he squatted on the floor and took some of the magazines away, out of Suzy’s reach. “Let’s order something... I’m hungry...”

 

Suzy kept mumbling to herself, ignoring GD who was still squatted there, in front of her. He knocked on her head to wake her up. Slowly, Suzy looked up towards him. He gasped in surprise. At this moment, the girl in front of him has turned into a zombie. Look at those panda eyes... the black circle circled on her eyes and her eye bag. Oh my... GD almost choked on himself.

 

“Jesus!”, GD hissed, “Are you okay?”

“Give me back my first kiss...”, Suzy kept muttering to herself.

“Go to the toilet and see yourself in the mirror. You’re like a zombie!”, he laughed softly.

Suzy grumbled in annoyance, now a bit louder, “Give me back my first kiss!”

“You didn’t sleep the whole night because of this? The kiss?”, he laughed harder and playfully messed her hair. “Why are you so cute? A whining little kid!”

“ Do you want to die? I’m not a little kid! I’m seventeen! Seventeen!”

“I’m sorry... I’m sorry”, GD couldn’t stop laughing, “I wasn’t getting used to a whining little Yoona...”

“I’m not Yoona!”, Suzy protested.

“I know! You’re just a whining little kid!”, he mocked her more.

“Excuse me! Weren’t you listening to me? I told you I’m not a little kid! I’m seventeen!”

“Seventeen? Yeah... perfectly a little kid!”

“I’m not a kid!”, she whined perfectly like a little kid, minus the toy, “I am not a kid!!!”

 

Suzy glared at GD in anger, but not a long after, her face turned white. She shouted in fear before she jumped up to the sofa. GD raised his eyebrow in confusion. What’s wrong with this kid?

 

“That! That thing!”, Suzy kept shouting in fear, pointing on something near GD’s feet.

“What?”

“Cockroach!”, she cut him off in a flash, “Can’t you see it? That darn big cockroach near your feet! Quick! Get rid of it! Quick!”

 

GD looked at his feet and he saw a big cockroach walking slowly while smelling its surroundings to find a way. GD couldn’t help it but laugh it out loud.

 

“This? You’re afraid of this?”, GD took the cockroach and showed it to her.

“I swear I’m going to kill you! Get rid of it now! I mean it! Now!”

“If you can see yourself right now, you’re really looks like a little kid! How could you be afraid of this sweetest little thing?”

“ I am a kid!”, Suzy protested, “Get rid of it, quick! Quick! Oh GD! I’m going to make you pay for it!”

 

GD walked out of the room, leaving Suzy with a trail of his laugh. He didn’t know what to say. What’s on her right mind? It was like five minutes ago that she was yelling at him not to call her a little kid anymore, and just now, she admitted that she is a little kid. What was she thinking?

 

◆※◆

 

Days passed by quicker than Suzy thought. She’s getting used to live as Im Yoona, GD’s fiancee, day by day. The only scary thing for her is soon she will forget her own self and her mission on the first place, looking for his dad. When will this be over? When can she be back to her own body?

 

“I’m home!”, GD walked inside with a guitar case on his hand.

“Oh...”, Suzy answered lazily.

“What’s with the oh? You’re supposed to say welcome home...”

Suzy snickered sarcastically, “Welcome to not-my-socalled-home!”

“What are you doing? So serious?”

“What else?”, she adjusted her glasses and looked up at GD, “Studying Korean...”

“Good girl!”, he patted her head.

She brushed his hand in annoyance, “Get off, GD!”

“Stop calling me GD. Get use to the word oppa.”

“I did call you oppa outside! Im Yoona called you oppa! But here, I’m Suzy Bae, and I will call you anything as I like!”

“You won’t ever listened, will you?”, he snickered.

“Hey, GD...”

“What?”

“How long were you planning to lock me up?”

“It’s not like you can rent your own apartment...”

“Suzy Bae can’t, but Im Yoona... doesn’t she have a place to live or something?”

“U-uh... no, no, no... I won’t let you stay there!”

“Why?”

“Let me think...”,  he snickered, “Because you’re not Im Yoona.”

“I am...”, she protested, “on the outside...”

“Can we stop this stupid discussion?”, He asked her with a smile. “I’m starving. Let’s just cook something!”

“Cook? Us, cooking? Are you serious?”

“Yeah! Weren’t you bored eating delivery food everyday?”

“Nope! I’m perfectly fine!”, she shook her head in disagreement. “Those two words, Suzy and kitchen, they don’t go together very well...”

“I’m bored... I just wanted something new...”

“How about pizza?”

“We just had that 3 days ago...”

“Kimbap?”

GD shook his head, “I’ve eaten that my whole life! Not a chance!”

“Jjajangmyeon?”

“I just eat that for lunch today.”

“Mandu?”

“It’s not enough for my stomach.”

“Chinese in a box?”

“Wasn’t it our yesterday’s menu?”

“Fine!”, Suzy gave up, “Let me think of something. Just take a bath. I’ll find my way to cook something for dinner.”

“Are you sure? You don’t need any help?”

“Nope! Just take a bath and come down for dinner later on. I’ll find my way!”

“Don’t burn my kitchen...”

“Deal with it! Now go!”, she pushed him away, “You stink!”

 

Suzy stood up from her chair and walked towards the kitchen. Who knows what mess could happen there.

 

◆※◆

 

GD was busy drying his hair when Suzy called him to come down for dinner.

 

“Hot bath is the best!”, GD walked out of the room with a towel on his head.

“You spent less time in the bathroom than I thought...”

“Why should I spend a long time to take a bath?”

“You know... celebrity do that, don’t they? Admiring themselves on the mirror, analyzing which part of their body that needs to be fixed... things like that?”

“I’m already perfect! What should I fixed?”

“Ya right!”, Suzy smirked.

“Hey!”, GD laughed and messed her hair as usual.

“Get off!”, she brushed his hand and pouted as usual.

 

GD sat on the dinner table and saw two plates of spicy rice cakes. Not a bad choice!

 

“Tadaaaa!”, proudly she presented her dish with a smile on her face. “Well, this is the only thing can be found on your fridge! So, let’s eat...”

“Let’s eat...”

 

GD started to dig into his plates.

 

“How is it? How is it?”, Suzy asked eagerly.

“Hmmm...”, GD raised his eyebrow, “It’s quite... special...”

“How special could it be from a plate of tteokbokki?”, she asked in confusion as she followed to dig a piece from her plate. In just a second, she coughed it out and desperately reached for a glass of water. “Oh, I’m gonna die! I’m gonna die!”

 

Suzy drank a glass of water in a sip with a reddened face.

 

“Oh my God! What the hell is that!? So darn spicy!”

GD laughed it out, “I told you... it’s special...”

“It was like eating a raw rice cake and a spoon of chilli sauce!”

 

Suzy looked at the plates then to GD with a puppy-look.

 

“I think pizza is a good idea...”, GD sighed.

Suzy threw a wide smile, “Super supreme with cheese edges...”

“No!”, he pointed at her, “Suzy Bae can eat that, but that body. I won’t let you fattening that body up! Just order the original one, without crust and cheese edges...”

“Super supreme...”, she kept pleading

“Not a chance...”, he shook his head as he walked to reach the phone.

“Please?”

“Nope!”

 

Suzy kept staring with a pleading-puppy-look eyes. He ignored her as he called the pizza delivery number.

 

“Hey, yes, I wanted to order a pizza. Uh-huh, that address. Uhm, about the order...”, he took a glance at Suzy and sighed as he continued, “Just give me the 16-inches super supreme. Yeah, with crust and cheese edges...”

 

◆※◆

 

GD was sitting out in the porch one night with his guitar, trying to compose a new song after a long while. Suzy tried to sneak inside the house when GD caught her red-handed.

 

“What time is it, missy?”, GD downing his tone, just like a protective father.

Suzy smiled unease, “Hey! I didn’t see you there...”

“Ya right!”, GD smirked.

“Fine, dad!”, she sarcastically snickered, “I just got back from the hospital... It has been a while that I haven’t talk to myself... you know... have a little chat-room of our own...I mean my body and I...”

“You’re getting weirder everytime, you know that?”

 

Suzy laughed as she took a seat on the porch, next to him. The sky’s clear and she can see a lot of stars sparkling up there.

 

“The sky’s really clear today... It’s really nice...”

“Yeah...”, GD put his guitar down and rested his body on the pillar. “It’s not that often...”

“Any new song?”

“Not really... it’s easy to compose a song, but not that easy to compose a good one. Just came up with some new chords though, but not the lyric.”

“Play it! I want to hear that...”

 

He took his guitar and play some chords on his new song. Suzy fixed her eyes on him. She didn’t know how to explain, but it seems like his aura changed 180 degrees whenever he plays his guitar. It was like... sparkling bright? Like he’s wearing a halo or something. How to say that?

 

“Nice...”, she clapped once he finished playing the song. “You haven’t write the lyric yet?”

GD nodded, “Yeah. It’s not that easy you know...”

“Any idea on the title?”

“I don’t know...”

“Six months! Make it your title!”

GD rolled his eyes, “What’s with the ugly title?”

“Yeah... an ugly six months of my life. Trapped in other people’s body with expired plane ticket and no money. And the est thing is... no new trails about my dad existence. I didn’t even know how to look for him.”, she carelessly answered before she finally sighed and looked at the sky to ease her mind.

 

They shared a moment of silence as they kept staring at the starry stars above.

 

“By the way...”, she broke the silence, “Did Jason find anything? You know... about my dad?”

“What’s your dad look like?”

Suzy looked at GD with a confused look, “What do you mean? You have his picture...”

“I’m not asking about his appearance.”

“Well...”, she paused for a moment, “I don’t know...”

“You’ve never seen him?”

She shook her head, “Nope. Not even once... I was living only with my mom my whole life, until she passed away...”

“I’m sorry...”

“For what? I don’t feel sorry for myself, why should you?”, she smiled.

“So tell me about your mom...”

“She really is a motherly kind of a woman, a pretty one, and she loved me so much. She can cook good food and sang me to sleep with her angelic voice. She’s just a perfect mother I’ve could ever asked...”

“She sings?”

Suzy nodded slightly, “Yeah. She told me the story of how she used to sing while my dad played his guitar. You know, for my mom, everything is about dad...”

“Your dad is a musician too?”

“No idea... ”

“Seems like your mom loves your dad so much...”

“She is... everything on her diary is about dad. That’s why I can’t find any reason why mom decided to leave dad...”

“Well... like I said... adults have more problem than what you can think of. You won’t understand them...”

“How bout you? Tell me about your parents... what does they look like...”

“I used to live in an orphanage, so... practically, that made me an orphan...”

“I’m sorry...”

“Just like you said, why would you be sorry, I don’t even feel sorry for myself...”

 

GD took a glance at Suzy. Suzy realized it and she looked back at him.

 

“What?”, Suzy looked at him in confusion.

“I think this is the first time we ever had a serious conversation.”

“Ya right!”

 

Suzy laughed as GD messed her hair up as usual. No brushing aside this time...

 

“Hey, GD...”, she cut him off before he can continued, “Can you teach me how to play guitar?”

“Why are you interested?”

“I don’t know. It’s just... so cool, you know?”

“Allright, I’ll show you some easy chords...”

 

GD smiled and showed Suzy some basic chords like G, C, D, and Em. Suzy paid a close attention to his hand. It seemed like playing guitar weren’t that hard.

 

“Let me try...”

 

Suzy took the guitar out of GD’s hand and positioned herself just like GD showed her just now. GD raised his eyebrow.

 

“No, no. Not that way.”, he shook his head, “It’s like this...”

 

GD lead her hand from the back. It was like a back-hug position. Suzy felt like her heart-rate getting faster by any second and her face was red-hot-chillipepper. No, it couldn’t be! She quickly stopped herself and pushed the guitar back to GD.

 

“It’s too hard... I can’t follow...”, she quickly stood up and walked to the door. “I... I’ll just study my Korean book inside.”

 

She dissapeared behind the door. GD looked at her in confusion. What’s up with that kid? He shook his head and started to play some rhytm out of his guitar.

 

◆※◆

 

Suzy ran inside the bathroom and quickly splashed her face with cold water.

 

“Darn, Suzy Bae! Get it together!”, she kept splashing her face with cold water. “You’re not Im Yoona, you’re not Im Yoona, you’re not Im Yoona... F**k, I’m not Im Yoona!”

 

It has been like more then six months Suzy was trapped on Im Yoona’s body and by that six months, Suzy felt more and more comfortable being Im Yoona. Maybe not being Im Yoona, but being by GD’s side will be the correct word. Yeah, she was getting attached to him day by day, the worst thing she can ever imagined.

She has told herself a thousand times, hundred thousand times, or even million times that she has to stopped. She is Suzy Bae and sooner or later she will be back to being herself as Suzy Bae, not as Im Yoona. But when will that day come? What will it be like when that day come?

 

“Suzy Bae... get it together! Stop hurting yourself... It’s not like you can be Im Yoona forever. GD is Im Yoona’s... not Suzy Bae’s. Get it together and stop hurting yourself...”

 

She pulled a towel from the hanger and wiped her face dry before she looked at the mirror once again.

 

“That’s it, Suzy! That’s the right face!”, she looked at Im Yoona’s face in the mirror with a sad look, “That’s it...”

 

She walked out to the living room and laid her body on the sofa. Her head hurts really bad... the same thing like her aching heart. God, make it stop... please...

 

◆※◆

 

GD stepped inside the house and found Suzy fell asleep on the couch in the living room, burried in her Korean books and dictionary. GD smiled. This little kid won’t ever change. He then quietly took a blanket out of his room and cover her body.

 

“You’ll catch a cold by tomorrow without this...”, he quietly whispered to her as he covered her body with it.

 

He softly took of her glasses and stared at her in silence. There was something mesmerizing from her face. No, he wasn’t talking about Im Yoona. He knows he always mesmerized by Im Yoona’s face from the start, but this is different. He felt something different. Maybe it wasn’t Im Yoona’s afterall... he started to be mesmerized by Suzy Bae... by her innocence, by her childish attitude who brought more happiness into his life. It was just different! But the more he thought about it, the scarier it gets for him. There would be a day to come where this little girl will be back to her own body and be gone from his life. He was always waiting for that day to be together with Im Yoona from the start, but now... is this what he actually wants? He took a deep breath and put her glasses besides her before he finally walked away and turn off the light.

 

“Good night... Suzy Bae...”

 

◆※◆