99% is better than 100%

Description

I had gotten a 100% exactly once in my lifetime. And I don't mean on tests or assignments, those are easy enough to get 100% on as long as you work at it. In other words, it's pretty possible. 

But I mean, I'd once actually gotten a 100% as my overall course mark. Gr.10 History. 

Now, in actuality, that mark doesn't really mean anything. Does it mean I'm good at history? Heck no. Yea sure, give me a few days to remember some names, important events, and every single date each event occured on. But that doesn't mean I'm good at history nor does it mean I like it. It just means that I'm good at memorizing. Which is basically all you ever learn to do in high school. And I say high school, because the whole memorizing-the-night-before stunt doesn't work in university. Try it, and you'll meet the inevitable. Failure. That's because universities are into the whole apply-your- knowledge-to-real-life-situations-and-nothing-I'm-teaching-you-right-now-is-going-to-be-on-the-exam-so-learn-on-your-own sort of deal.  

But I'm not here to give you a lecture on how to study in university and how much the education system is a plethora of flaws. 

I'm here to talk about that 100% and how people perceive it. 

You see, when  you get a mark like 100% as your course mark, people don't tend to think you're smart. As you would think. 

No. The first thing they'll corrolate your mark with, is not with how smart you are or how hard you study or how you have astounding knack for that subject and that you should pursue it, it'll be with the thought "how did you get that mark?". 

Then they'll go off and brainstorm about in their heads about how you could've possibly not made a single mistake throughout the entirety of that course and arrive at the same conclusion; it's impossible. You couldn't have possibly done it and that you must've cheated somehow. Or that you must've been a teacher's pet, or bribed them.

Then they'll ask you "who was your teacher?". The question itself literally shouting I-am-doubting-you-and-since-I-don't-want-to-ask-you-straight-up-about-how-you-could've-cheated-your-way-to-that-mark-I'm-going-to-see-if-I-can-find-another-way-you-could've-gotten-perfect-in-that-course-cause-I-didn't-so-you-couldn't-possibly-have. 

And once you tell them who your teacher was, they'll say "OH! insert teacher's name here is such an easy marker, you're so lucky! Dang it I wish I had insert teacher's name here instead of insert their teacher's name here!".

In which by this point, they're basically saying "I knew you didin't get 100% purely cause of your own skills and good studying habits because getting perfect is impossible. Unless you had your teacher obviously. You had an easy teacher, don't flatter yourself." 

When in the first place, you were only telling them your mark because they had asked you. 

But then let's change the 100% with a 99%. 

Automatically this 1% seems to change people's reaction from "OMG REALLY? HOW DID YOU GET THAT MARK?! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE." to "OMG GOOD FOR YOU. OKAY YOU ARE SERIOUSLY A GENIUS AND YOU NEED TO TUTOR ME." 

Because 99% shows effort. It shows that you're not perfect and that you were unable to get the highest possible mark there is. It shows your "human nature" if you will. The 1% allows people to connect themselves to you because the human race isn't perfect. Hannah Montana even said so. Although Selena Gomez "Who Says" makes a convincing arguement. 

Therefore in the end, 99%>100%. 

And that's exaclty what my story with this boy is; 99%. 

Because, our story isn't perfect. and it isn't finished. That 1% is never going to be complete. 

But that's with every story isn't it? 

A life story never ends. 

Because it's always being written. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cliche I know.