Irony

Red Stains

 


“Chaerim, for the final time, the dress looks beautiful on you. Wait what? Honey, you cannot vomit here, not after I spent all that time on your hair.”

“But—“

“Yoon Chaerim, it’s the day of your wedding. You’re getting married to the love of your life, loosen up a bit and think happy thoughts okay?”

 

 

 

 

 

“… Yoon Chaerim-ssi?”

You stirred from your dream to the sound of a foreign voice calling out your name. You opened your eyes and turned toward the sound, groaning as you felt your neck ache from sleeping in an upright position. You swore right then and there to buy first class tickets the next time you ever traveled by plane. After massaging your tired neck for a few moments, you finally noticed a nervous looking flight attendant staring straight at you, causing you to  flinch away on reflex.

The flight attendant cleared , “We’ve arrived in Seoul, all other passengers have left the plane," she spoke with a slight shake in her voice, as if she was nervous. You looked around; the plane was indeed empty and reality dawned upon you. Now wide-awake and slightly embarrassed by the situation, you quickly undid your seatbelt and thanked the attendant before hastily walking toward the exit of the plane with your luggage.

Right as you were stepping out the airplane, you caught a whiff of the flight attendant’s excited cries.

“Oh my gosh, can you really believe it? Yoon Chaerim, that was her wasn't it? The actual Yoon Chaerim is back in Korea!”

As always, you reddened at the comment of your new attained status as an actress. After you played a major role in what later became a hit film, you realized that fame now followed your footsteps and danced around the movement of your fingertips. Of course, you were still overwhelmed by all the new attention... not that you didn't like it.

You smiled slyly at the ecstatic comment as you continued down the empty corridors, taking a quick glance at your surroundings before slipping into the men’s bathroom, successfully going unnoticed. You locked yourself into a bathroom stall and began your extreme makeover. Even though your celebrity status was still young and budding, you had learned to be deathly careful of the camera.  You had no doubt that the news of your arrival would sweep across Korea in a matter of minutes. The almost obsessive devotion that the media had on reporting every twitch you made was downright annoying to be blunt, but you’ve learned the ways of navigating around them.

You were always extra careful around the press, but it was extremely crucial that you avoid as much attention as possible today.

After taking off your current outfit, you put on a pair of baggy blue jeans and slipped into an oversized hoodie that you nabbed from your brother’s closet. Not only was this get up extremely masculine, it also managed to hide all traces of your feminine body. Then, you pulled your hair up into a messy bun, and then stuffed it all into a backwards snapback to hide your long hair. You tucked in a few stray strands and completed your look. You slowly opened the bathroom stall and scampered out to examine yourself in the mirror.

You hummed in approval at your reflection, Perfect, I look just like the average male, American swagfest, you thought to yourself proudly before putting on the finishing touch, a pair of horrendous neon green shutter shades. You leapt out of the men’s bathroom, jammed an earbud into your ear, and sauntered obnoxiously past a small crowd, earning a few annoyed looks in the process. No one saw past the disguise.

You smirked while bobbed your head to the imaginary music and snapping your fingers to the illusionary beat.

You weren’t an actress for nothing.

 

 

 

 

 

“I cannot believe you impersonated Justin Bieber… and got away with it.”

Your darling cousin Lee Chaerin, also known as CL the baddest female (much to your amusement), was gaping at your ridiculous outfit.  She tentatively touched your face and cried out, “What did you do to my sweet Chai-tea?”

You rolled your eyes and slapped CL’s hand away, “I dressed up as a guy to avoid suspicion, not as Justin Bieber. And for the last time, I’m twenty four unni, can we stop with the nicknames already? If my fans ever find out that you call me Chai-tea I swear—“

CL let out a hearty laugh, “But our names sound way too similar!”

“Well you don’t see me calling anyone Choo Choo. That should be seriously be your nickname, baddest female my .”

You watched in amusement as your cousin pouted adorably at your less than kind statement, “Today’s my wedding Chai, can’t you be a little easy on me? Plus, it’s the first time we’ve seen each other since you left Korea, how could you do that to me?” CL glared at you only half jokingly, you felt a bit of guilt creep into your heart.

You shrugged and dismissed her complaint. There really wasn't much to be said about the past, what's done was done. Instead you held CL’s hands in your own and gave her a sheepish, slightly apologetic smile, “Oh jeez unni, you're not the only one who suffered. I missed you and Korea too, in fact, I've decided to stay for a while after the wedding... maybe even a bit longer than just a while."

CL blinked in surprise, pondering what you just said, "Wait Chai tea... Are you saying that you're going to move back to Korea?"

"Mhm, I'm moving back. Of course, I'll go if I get good movie offers overseas, but--" You were interrupted by your cousin's loud squeal, "Oh my gosh Chai! How could you not tell me about this until now?!"

You smirked, satisfied with the excited reaction, "Unni, today's your special day. I wanted to surprise you with something other than my present... isn't this the best surprise for your wedding?"

CL’s smile faltered at the mention of her wedding. Her brows scrunched together into a slight scowl as she pulled you into a tight embrace, “Oh Chai… I’m actually so worried. I mean, our fans have been so supportive, thank god, but I’ve been thinking of so many what-ifs. You know, like these celebrity relationships almost never last and I really love Jiyong so much so I—“ 

With a gentle, but firm push, you broke the hug and placed your hands on CL’s shoulders, looking at her straight in the eye, “Really, what's with you? You guys have been dating for 5 solid years. Both of you guys are mature adults who know how to handle problems almost impossibly well, and today’s the day of your wedding Lee Chaerin, think happy thoughts,” you smiled, then comfortingly rubbed her shoulders, “Don’t forget the advice you gave me on the day of my wedding.” You couldn't help but recall your dream, thinking back to your own nervous state on your wedding day and how CL was constantly scolding you were your unnecessary worries. 

“Chai… thanks” CL began with a stronger smile, but it soon twisted into an unpleased frown, “You… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to make you remember that.”

You let out a small chuckle, but a brief flash of his face ran through your mind, causing you to stiffen up. But you quickly relaxed and shook your head amusingly at your sudden sensitivity, “Don’t frown unni, it’s your wedding. Let’s not focus on my life, we have to get you ready for yours! Now quickly, I can’t wait to see you in that wedding dress.”

 

 

 

 

 

He tapped the steering wheel impatiently as he waited at the red light. It was already four in the afternoon, meaning that he had already missed the wedding ceremony.  Byun Baekhyun groaned in frustration.

He raked his fingers through his hair. That damned Chanyeol. If that idiot had not stupidly decided to get wasted the night before this wedding, then he wouldn’t be in this predicament. This was the one wedding Baekhyun really did not want to attend.

To be honest, Baekhyun didn’t know that he was going to be attending a wedding until two hours ago when he received a call from a hung over, hospitalized idiot begging him to go to the wedding in his stead. The reason wasn't any better either. Apparently Chanyeol had inhaled a ing barrel of liquor and was hospitalized from alcohol poisoning. Despite trying to avoid the responsibility at all costs, Baekhyun eventually conceded.

That doofus owes me big time, Baekhyun thought to himself angrily as he parked his car. He had been in the middle of recording when he received the unexpected request. After a few minutes of pointless arguing, Baekhyun eventually drove all the way to Chanyeol's apartment and picked up the present Chanyeol had prepared for the new couple. Thinking back, Baekhyun began to sincerely regret picking up that call.  

After parking his car, Baekhyun quickly smoothed out his tuxedo and carefully grabbed the wrapped gifts that were prepared for the newlywed couple. As soon as he stepped out of his car, the flash of cameras flooded into his vision. He gave them a smile, but ignored all the shouts from the photographers as he walked toward the hotel. It was to be expected that this wedding would be highly publicized when the bride and groom were the leaders of Big Bang and 2NE1, two of the most prominent figures in the kpop industry.

He gave the cameras one last wave before showing the security his—or actually Chanyeol’s—invitation for the wedding. He stepped into the hotel lobby and was lead to the location of the ceremony. He saw a table full of gifts and let out a breath of relief. All he needed to do was deliver Chanyeol’s gift, of course he’d stay for formalities and explain the situation to Dara who invited Chanyeol, but that was all he was asked to do. He could probably go back to the studio and work on his album again.

As if on cue, Dara appeared and met his gaze. She held a plate of food that looked quite appealing to Baekhyun even though western food wasn't really his favorite. It took a second for surprise to cloud her eyes and she quickly paced over to where he was standing by the gifts table.

“Baekhyun! What are you doing here? And where’s Chanyeol? He was missing at the ceremony!” Dara inquired through a mouthful of delicious food.

Baekhyun rubbed his neck awkwardly and forced out a laugh, “He actually got hospitalized for alcohol poisoning last night, he’s alright though, but he has to stay in the hospital. Chanyeol asked me to come here instead, you know, to deliver his gifts and offer his apologies and stuff.”

“Oh,” Dara’s voice softened a bit, “It’s good that he’s alright. How thoughtful of you to come… Follow me, I’ll introduce you to the newlyweds, they’ll understand.” Dara smiled brightly as she beckoned him to follow.

Oh god no. Baekhyun froze at Dara’s seemingly friendly invitation. It wasn’t that he held anything against G Dragon, but CL hated his mere existence. She was precisely the reason why he didn’t want to attend this wedding, not because he disliked her, but because she passionately disliked him. He really did not want to be placed in the position of sabotaging someone’s wedding with his existence.

But right as he was about to offer a pitiful excuse of getting out of this situation, he felt something crash into him, in addition to the unpleasant sensation of something cold trickling down his chest.

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh shi--" you gasped  in horror as the red liquid from her champagne glass spilled onto the clean, crisp, and worst of all, white dress shirt of your victim.

You immediately backed away, mentally slapping CL in her mind. That girl really didn’t know her own strength. How could CL push you when you were holding a glass of bright red cranberry juice in your hand?  Now, you had this flustering situation to deal with, how embarassing. 

"I'm so sorry!" you exclaimed with your head down, silently praying that the media wouldn't get a piece of this incident, "I really wasn't looking where I was going and must have---" 

"Chaerim?" 

You froze, and it was as if your mouth forget how to function. That voice interrupted your entire train of thought because it was too familiar to be just any other person. You slowly looked up at the man who interrupted you, praying that it wouldn't be who you thought it was. You stared intensely at his face and you let out a harsh breath of disbelief, almost crumbling down on the spot. You stood there, running your eyes again and again over the man in front of you as if you couldn’t believe what your were seeing, what you were hearing. He was there, slightly different from before but still living and breathing in front of you with his dark wavy locks, slightly droopy eyes that seemed to mirror her own surprise, and white dress shirt that had been stained by your stupid cranberry juice.

Byun. Baek. Hyun.

The unmistakable sound of rapid footsteps came running over, and the concerned voice of your just-married cousin soon followed.

You just barely felt your cousin latching onto your arm in your daze, “Oh my god, I’m so sorry Chai, are you—WHAT are YOU doing here?!” CL’s concern over your accident suddenly turned into spluttering shock when she laid eyes on the man who you bumped into.

Because the last thing person you expected to meet at your own cousin's wedding was your ex-husband, Byun Baekhyun. 


 

So yay, that's the end of the first chapter, sorry it took so long. 

Feel free to offer criticism or support or anything of the kind. I'm always open to it, especially when this is my first fanfiction. 

(coughs, the picture, coughs... it was messily put together)

When I was writing this chapter, the news of Baekhyun and Taeyeon unexpectedly came out. I was surprised (and a little bit crushed, haha) but I hope all Baekhyun stans will continue to support their relationship even if it was unexpected. 

Oh! And one more thing before I forget. I really enjoyed reading one fanfiction by Rianbane. It's really unique because its a horror genre that I think many readers will find interesting. There aren't many horror fanfics around and I found hers to be really intriguing. Who is Chen is the name of one of hers that I really enjoyed. It's the first in part of a series, I think you'll all enjoy it :)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/743959/her-demon-horror-oneshot-you-baekhyun-chen <-- here's the link in care any of you were interested!