This is Love

Best Friend-Zoned

This is another version that we initially came up with so we decided to polish it up and publish it.

oh and look at the new poster on the foreword huehuehue :)

 

“KYUNGIE CAN YOU BELIEVE IT SHIN YOUNGJIN JUST ASKED ME OUT!” Kyungsoo barely had time to process what his best friend just said before the elated girl pounced onto him, locking him in an embrace that squeezed all the air out of his lungs.

 

Still unable to contain the excitement, she continued to rattle on as Kyungsoo was still trying to comprehend the situation. Campus crush. Felicia. Date. WHAT?! Mr. Campus Crush and Felicia on a date?

 

“… what should I do on the date? Help me Kyungie~”

 

“I don’t know.” He replied soullessly, totally disbelieving that the girl he has liked for the past 12 years was going on a date with a Prince Charming. How could he even stand a chance against Prince Charming?

 

“You’re a guy! You can tell me what you want your girlfriend to wear on a first date, where you want to go with her, how you want her to react…” she trailed off and her fingers went to her lips, “or, do you think he will kiss me?” She paused finally as her eyes turned to face her best friend who looked totally devoid of happiness.

 

“What’s wrong?” Finally realising the totally dejected look on her best friend’s face, she stopped to query what was wrong.

 

“Nothing.” He shook his head as he walked away with shoulders drooping, leaving her clueless and trying to find out the problem.

 

*

 

Somehow, Kyungsoo found himself accompanying Felicia to pick an outfit. After all, how could he say no to the girl he has crushed on for so long. Oh my goodness, Kyungsoo how stupid can you even be?

 

And now, here he was, behind a pillar, tailing the couple not-so secretly. He had told Felicia earlier that he was not sure if Youngjin would try anything funny, so he would follow them in case anything happened. She had refused his offer, but he was adamant on it, so she shrugged and let him be.

 

Kyungsoo felt his heart stop when Youngjin bent over and gave her a peck on the lips. Kyungsoo knew it was her first kiss, and he had dreamt countless of times how it would be taken away from her, and it was always him who had the honour of doing so, not a guy who she barely knew for a week. Anger and jealousy boiled in him, and all he wanted to do was to go out there and punch Youngjin, but he knew better than not to do that — he didn’t want to make Felicia sad. He looked at her love struck eyes and he felt his heart shatter.

 

*

 

Felicia couldn't believe it. Youngjin kissed her. On the lips. It was her first kiss, something that made Felicia talk about it day and night non-stop to one person — Do Kyungsoo. And of course, she was too caught up in her own love story to pay attention to Kyungsoo's never-ending sighs and the disappearance of his heart-shaped smiles.

 

It was hell. Kyungsoo buried his head in his arms and drowned in his own self-pity. He felt pathetic and disgusted at his own cowardice. Would it be different if he had the guts to tell Felicia his feelings before Youngjin? Probably not, Kyungsoo thought, a bitter smirk forming painfully, contorting that beautiful heart-shaped mouth of his. And it hurt him. It hurt him so much he can barely hold on anymore.

 

*

 

Kyungsoo1992 is online.

 

FelFel92 is online.

 

Kyungsoo1992: Do you like him?

 

FelFel92: Who? Youngjin? OMG Soo I need to tell you all about what he gave me yesterday for Valentines! He was sooooo sweet I swear! <3

 

Kyungsoo1992: I just asked you if you liked him...

 

FelFel92: Of course I do! We are together! I think he is just the one for me! <3

 

Kyungsoo1992 is offline.

 

FelFel92: Soo? You there?

 

FelFel92: Kyungie? Are you angry at me because I have not been spending enough time with you? I'm sowwieeeeeeee~ I was just too busy with my relationship with Youngjin...

 

FelFel92: I guess you're not replying

 

FelFel92: See you tomorrow... Please don't be angry anymore... 

 

*

 

Felicia stopped being human — that was the only word that could describe the state she was in now. She continued to eat, drink and sleep, but her eyes were empty, simply devoid of emotion.

 

It hurt Kyungsoo to see her this way. The always playful, cheery and mischievous was gone – this was not the Felicia he knew. Kyungsoo tried to bring her back — constant urges of ‘you can tell me everything’ or ‘I’m your best friend so you can lend my shoulder to cry on’, persistent requests to go to the arcade together, or just his silent company – but all were to no avail. She closed herself off in a shell that even Kyungsoo couldn't break through, and she intended to stay there forever.

 

But even that did not deter him. True love makes you go to extents you never think are possible, and Kyungsoo never stopped trying. Everyday, he would get out of bed earlier, drop by the florist, and leave a fresh pink gerbera daisy in her locker, with it attached a cutely designed note of encouragement. And everyday, he would watch her open her locker, and read his note and look the same as she did the day before, and then leave it to wilt on the door of her locker.

 

Kyungsoo sighed. He missed her - the eyes that sparkled when he sang for her, the lips that would melt into such a perfect curve when he made her a lunchbox, the laughter that disappeared ever since that bastard Youngjin broke her heart. Kyungsoo gritted his teeth and swallowed the murderous feeling as he thought of the guy that broke Felicia's heart. To think that he had the guts to two-time another girl while Felicia was still his girlfriend, he was worse than a dog in Kyungsoo’s eyes. C’mon dude, you’re just jealous that she likes another guy. He chuckled under his breath, but his eyes glistened no matter how much he tried to hold the tears back. He stood up from the bench, walking over the abandoned pink gerbera daisy that had fallen to the floor, feeling it crunch under his feet. The daises must be in pain, he thought, just like my heart.

 

                                                                           *

 

It was only months later that Felicia finally got over Youngjin. She thought it was rather ridiculous to cry over a guy that she did not even truly like, because tears should only be saved for those who really mean something to her.

 

Opening her locker, it was only then that she realised the daises she had been so used to receiving every morning were missing. And so was the always-silent Kyungsoo missing. Sensing something off, she immediately dialed him, but there was no reply.

 

“Hey did you hear, your best friend Do Kyungsoo is challenging Shin Youngjin to a fight in the field now!” Seollan’s shrill voice came echoing down the corridor. Alarm rose in her and soon the both of them were dashing through the corridors at unimaginable speeds.

 

*

 

Felicia's breath was hitched in when she saw Youngjin standing in front of Kyungsoo  with his gang. Looking at the smug and confident expression that was plastered on the taller’s face made her want to puke her lunch. I can’t believe I gave that bastard my first kiss.

 

“What do you mean by ‘I am a player that toys with girl’s feelings’?” Youngjin questioned.

 

“You dated my best friend and another girl at the same time. And you took her first kiss away!” Kyungsoo replied indignantly.

 

Felicia felt something warm grow in her heart, and it slowly expanded across her body, as if she was floating in someone's embrace. Kyungsoo, her heart whispered with every beat. But the next words of Youngjin made her feel as if she had fallen into icy waters.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry then, I think you misunderstood me. I simply found a better girl and forgot to tell Felicia. And about the kiss, she was a willing party too, so I don’t think you can say I stole it from her.” He defended himself easily, not forgetting to gaze at Felicia as he finished his sentence.

 

Before anyone anticipated, a punch came flying in the tall male’s face. “Don’t be so smug, you bastard.” Kyungsoo growled, voice going an octave lower as his eyes narrowed to slits that exuded threat.

 

“So you want to fight?” Youngjin rolled up his sleeves. “Sure, be my guest, but don’t be a sore loser.”

 

The two were soon engaged in a brawl and more students gathered to observe the fight. Given his significantly smaller and less muscular stature than the almost 2-metre tall basketball player, Kyungsoo was obviously nowhere near having the upperhand. The rain of punches and kicks from more buff male left Kyungsoo defenseless on the floor, blood spotting his pale face that grimaced in pain from the sheer impact of Youngjin’s attack.

 

Unable to take the sight any longer, Felicia lunged forward as she shielded Kyungsoo from the oncoming kick. The blow on her back forced all air out of her lungs and for a moment she felt suffocated before the pain set in.

 

The last thing she heard was the shout of the discipline master before the pain overwhelmed her.

 

*

 

White walls, blue curtains, white blanket, fluffy pillow, constant beeping of a machine, Felicia had awoken to a dull pain in her back. She vaguely remembered a fight.

 

She started to tremble.

 

Kyungsoo. He fought because of her.

 

She felt the tears coming.

 

Kyungsoo. All the kicks and punches he took for her.

 

She started to sob.

 

Kyungsoo had stood up for her.

 

She cried and bawled like a baby.

 

Kyungsoo had told her that he loved her. It wasn’t a joke. He loved her, truly.

 

She felt arms wrap around her. Hesitantly, slowly, then surely and firmly. She sniffed and looked through a veil of tears to find a battered and beaten-up Kyungsoo looking at her worriedly.

 

"Are you alright? Does anywhere hurt?" He queried with heartfelt concern.

 

She shook her head.

 

And before she could stop herself, she leaned forward and placed her lips on Kyungsoo’s, ever-so gently and softly. Just like the petals of a pink gerbera daisy.

 


idk why this has slight angst but well hope you liked this version too :)