In Other Words, I Love You

Best Friend-Zoned

Well, hello there. My name is Felicia Lee. I have been blessed since young with a best friend who has always pampered me and I am really lucky to have him as my best friend.

 

Erm, hi. How should I start? Uh… My name is Do Kyungsoo and I have a best friend. She’s really pretty and she has a really really nice smile and I really really really like her. Oh goodness what did I just say? Shhh! Don’t tell her okay! It’s a secret between you and me.

 

He stared at the scrapbook nervously and scratched his head again and again. How should I ask her? What if she says no? What if...

 

“Hey! Whatcha thinkin’ about?” A pounce onto his shoulder caused him to jump a little in shock. He turned and there she was, looking at him with a smile that never failed to make his heart flutter.

 

“Uhm… Fel…” He took a deep breath. Okay, here goes nothing. “If in ten years time, we don’t have anybody, marry me?”

 

“Sure, why not?” She shrugged and an amused smile tugged at the corner of her lips before she placed her tray on the table as she sat on the bench.

 

“Really?” He turned to her, eyes wide, not believing what he had just heard. OHMYGAWD SHE SAID YES.

 

“Mmm.” She nodded as she tucked into her food, attention totally fixated on the fried fish fillet on her plate. “I hate Tuesdays. There’s like four hours of lecture before the next break and I’ll be so hungry that I eat a lot and now I’ll grow fat.” She mumbled as she gobbled down her food in huge chunks.

 

“Here, sign this!” He handed her the scrapbook and a pen.

 

She scooped up a big spoon of food before taking the pen and scrawling her signature on the line in the book and handing it back to him. “Here you go.”

 

He looked at her signature in the book before hugging it closely to his chest. She really said yes! A grin stretched across his face as images of their romantic wedding in a church someday flashed across his mind.

 

“Why aren’t you eating? Didn’t you keep whining in class that you were hungry?” She questioned him suspiciously.

 

“Nope I’m not hungry now.” He replied in a sing-song voice, inwardly congratulating himself on his successful attempt in getting his long-time crush to accept his indirect proposal.

 

“You’re double-faced.” She snorted at him before returning to her food again.

 

*

 

Why is that girl taking so long to get her food? Wasn’t she the first one to rush out of class when the bell rang?

 

“Kyungie, can Youngjin join us for lunch? He asked me to teach him some stuff about English because he doesn’t understand.” Felicia’s voice piped up from behind.

 

Kyungsoo barely looked up from his noodles before nodding his head. “Yeah sure why not.”

 

“Youngjin, this is Kyungsoo. And Kyungie, this is Shin Youngjin.” Introductions done, both of them sat down and engaged in their own conversation.

 

“... the word ‘ambiguous’ means unclear or vague. Is there anything else you don’t understand?” She explained every single thing patiently to her new friend.

 

“Can you tell me the meaning of this word?” He pointed to a word in the passage and Kyungsoo found his eyes trailing from his noodles to Felicia’s smile.

 

“This word? Love? It means when someone likes another person, then we can say that it’s love.” Her face flushed slightly and Kyungsoo felt a weird tightening in his chest.

 

“Then can I say I love you?” He asked with a slightly mischievous tone. Kyungsoo barely resisted the urge to throw his entire plate of spaghetti onto his face.  

 

“Of course not! We’re friends so it’s not called love!” She explained again, face flushing into a deeper red. Oh yeah, you two better just stay as friends. Felicia’s mine. MINEMINEMINE. Get it?

 

The bell rang to signal the end of break and everyone started to clear out of the canteen. Felicia and Youngjin packed their bags and left together, forgetting about poor Kyungsoo who was left alone to walk to the next class himself.

 

*

 

Oh my goodness what do I do Shin Youngjin just asked me out! OH MY GOD HE JUST ASKED ME OUT OTTOKHAE?

 

Why must that stupid guy ask her out? Now she’s going to fall in love with her and they will love each other forever and live happily ever after and I will never get to marry her! AISH I need to do something about this!

 

“You know, Shin Youngjin just asked me out! Can you believe it?” She literally plopped her dreamy self onto his bed.

 

“Oh. Okay.” He deadpanned.

 

“Dude! It’s not just any guy! It’s the campus crush Shin Youngjin! Help me~” She kicked her legs in the air, unable to contain her excitement.

 

“How do I help you? I don't even know anything.” He muttered, hoping her date turns out the worst possible.

 

"You can help me. I don’t know what to wear even! Should I go with the cute concept or should I go with the shy schoolgirl concept or should I go with the y concept or… Kyungie, you’re a guy so you should know what guys would like a girl to wear on their first date.” She flails her arms in the air exaggeratingly. “I’M SO EXCITED!" She surprised him with a hug that made them both crash to the ground.

 

No, you're going to say no Kyungsoo. She's the girl you've liked since first grade! Don't tell me you're going to let her date some other guy just like that!

 

He had just set his mind to not help her, but looking at the pleading looks she was casting him ⎯ which by the way, he has never said no to ⎯ he found himself nodding his head in resignation.

 

I can't believe you agreed to this. Kyungsoo you are really an idiot.

 

*

 

It’s Saturday already and I can’t believe I’m going to go out with Youngjin!

 

Geek specs? Check. Fake moustache? Check. Wig? Check. Extra set of clothes? Check. Walking stick? Check. Newspapers? Check. Okay, Operation Spoil-The-Date is to start now.

 

As planned, Felicia and Youngjin had met up at the bus stop near her house. Felicia donned a cute summer dress with floral prints and Youngjin looked more dashing than ever, though only clad in a casual button-up shirt and skinny jeans.

 

They caught a bus to the city, while Kyungsoo quickly hailed a cab and tailed the bus as they alight. He tried to push aside the thoughts of what they would do on the bus as he looked out of the window and admired the scenery outside. You must control yourself, Do Kyungsoo. The bus is a public place, they won’t be able to do anything funny in there, so stop overthinking.

 

They alighted at the CO-EX mall, which Kyungsoo subsequently called the cab to an abrupt halt before shoving the fare in the driver’s hands and jumping out of the vehicle to tail the two.

 

Apparently, they had decided to watch a movie, so Kyungsoo bought a ticket that strategically placed him 2 seats behind the couple, to oversee and hopefully prevent things from happening in the barely-lit theatre.

 

As much as everyone's eyes were fixated on the huge movie screen, nothing that Youngjin did escaped Kyungsoo's eagle eyes and Kyungsoo caught the former's hands inching bit by bit around her shoulders. Instinctively, he reached forward and hit Youngjin's head with the pamphlet in his hands before immediately ducking down to avoid detection by him. Kyungsoo reappeared moments later, to find Youngjin's hands kept to himself.

 

A few scenes later,  undeterred by the hit on the head, Youngjin was on his second attempt to place his hand around her. With the extra addition of people in the row in between him and Youngjin, he figured that it would not be good to stretch forward to hit the stubborn boy. Instead, he harvested a few popcorn seeds from the popcorn box in his hands and started hurling them at the boy. Youngjin had turned behind to find the perpetrator, but to no avail as Kyungsoo had already put on his disguise kit and was rather inconspicuous given his height.

 

He probably learnt his lesson, because there were no more attempts to get closer to Felicia for the rest of the movie, to the relief of Kyungsoo.

 

The movie ended and everyone streamed out of the exit, which Kyungsoo tailed the couple closely, totally disguised with a wig, moustache, walking stick and a feigned hobble.

 

"How was the movie just now?" Youngjin tried starting the conversation.

 

"It was awesome! Four is so hot and Triss was so cool and all I actually wished I was her!" Felicia squealed, voice going up an octave in the process.

 

"Half of your wish has come true already since you have a hot guy like me next to you." He quipped, earning himself a light bump from Felicia.

 

Pft you don't even know her ideal type. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and took a few deep breaths to hold himself back from going up to punch the self-proclaimed hot guy.

 

They stroll along the beautifully lit streets of Seoul as they giggled about some topic that Kyungsoo couldn't tell. As time went by, the all-too-familiar tightening in his chest became more and more suffocating. I thought she only laughed so happily like that when she's with me.

 

Youngjin was getting bolder with each attempt, and now those hands of his were slowly reaching out to hold Felicia's. Get your hands off Felicia!

 

Throwing all caution to the wind, he fixed his moustache and ran himself right in the middle of them, making sure to elbow the shameless Youngjin before barely muttering an apology and dashing off into the distance. Kyungsoo swore he heard a surprised gasp from Felicia.

 

After more scenery admiring (and a few more interjections by Kyungsoo), they finally settled on eating at the posh Italian restaurant at the end of the street. Boy is it as expensive as it looks, Kyungsoo sighed as he looked through the menu placed outside. A simple salad appetiser was already worth a week of his allowance! Just then, he had an Eureka moment. If he couldn't get in through the front door, then he'll get in through the back.  

 

Making a trip round to the back of the restaurant, he found the entrance to a certain room filled with dressing tables and mirrors lined with light bulbs. Where's this place? He wandered around a little, only to find people putting the final touches to their makeup-caked faces. Am I in the wrong place?

 

"Hey hey hey what are you doing standing around get your guitar and move your onto the stage." A rather burly-looking man in a formal suit dragged the petite frame of Kyungsoo and pushed him onto stage, and before he knew it, Kyungsoo was in the restaurant, but this time, not as a diner, but as a performer.

 

Totally at a loss of what to do, his eyes scanned the crowd for Felicia and seated right in front of the stage was the couple. Wow, this is just great. I'm so going to blow my cover now. Then, he realised the awkward silence that filled the restaurant as everyone waited expectantly.

 

Looking at the chair placed in the middle of the stage with a few pieces of paper on a stand in front of it, he guessed it was meant for him, so he walked over and sat down, glancing at the papers, which had messy scrawlings filling the unprinted portions of the score. Deciding the scores were too messy to even be legible, he went on his own tangents and recalled a song he had previously practiced.

 

"Good evening. Hope you've had a wonderful evening so far. Enjoy your meal." Faking the best impersonation of a professional singer as he could, he cleared his throat and started the song, plucking at the strings in the all-too-familiar pattern which he had previously practiced for a supposed confession to her but chickened out last minute.

 

Fly me to the moon

And let me play among the stars

Let me see what spring is like

On Jupiter and Mars

 

In other words, hold my hand

In other words, darling , kiss me

 

Fill my heart with song

and let me sing forever more

You are all I long for

All I worship and adore

 

In other words, please be true

In other words, I love you

 

(Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra)

 

At the end of the song, there was a warm round of applause for his splendid and sincere performance. His gaze naturally wandered to Felicia and they locked eyes for a moment. His heart stopped beating. Felicia opened and looked like she was about to say something. Oh no, my cover is blown. He quickly stood up and ran back into the dressing room, tripping on the wires that were like a spider web on the floor.

 

*

 

"Hey Felicia. Thanks for agreeing to come out on a date with me." Youngjin spoke, causing Felicia to turn her attention from the seemingly-familiar singer on stage to her date.

 

"Why thank me? I should be the one thanking you for having made today the most enjoyable day of my life." She beamed, eyes curving into the most captivating eye smile ever.

 

It was a moment of silence before Youngjin could find words to reply her. "Actually I had asked you onto this date because I really like you, and," he swallowed his saliva, "I wanted to ask you to be my girlfriend here." He finally found the courage to look into her eyes. "But, I just realised that someone else loves you more."

 

Dumbfounded by his words, Felicia could only look back at him confusedly, trying to comprehend his words. Sensing her confusion, he continued. "This is my father's restaurant. I have actually requested the singer to sing a song and afterwards direct everyone's attention to our table, where I'll ask you to be my girlfriend. But this isn't the singer."

 

The song had ended and the applause from the audience shifted her attention to the singer on stage, who was looking straight at her. Realisation dawned on her. She opened to say something but by then, the flustered singer had already scrambled off stage, not forgetting to trip on the microphone wires on stage.

 

As if on cue, the food they had ordered arrived. Youngjin had started digging in and Felicia followed suit, mutually deciding that silence was the best option.

 

Out of the blue, Youngjin excused himself to use the washroom, and hearing the quiver in his voice, she guessed it was probably best not to question further.

 

*

 

Finding his way to the dressing rooms, Youngjin had managed to catch Kyungsoo just as he was making his way out of the back door.

 

"Do Kyungsoo!" He called out for the shorter male who thought he could escape unnoticed.

 

Kyungsoo nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard his name. His moment of hesitation had allowed the lanky Youngjin to catch up and get hold of him.

 

"Hey, I know you followed us the entire day." Youngjin started, causing Kyungsoo to turn behind and look at him with wide eyes. "I know it was you who threw popcorn at me, elbowed me and sang that song just now." Kyungsoo gasped in shock. Was I that obvious?

 

"I know that you like Felicia too." Youngjin continued, only to be replied with the silent wide eyes of Kyungsoo. "Go on, go outside and tell her. I was going to give these boquet of flowers to her, but now, I think it'll be better if you gave it to her. I'll back down from now on."

 

Youngjin shoved the bouquet of flowers into his hands before disappearing behind some curtains. He stared at the bouquet in his hands. Pink gerbera daisies. Was this merely a coincidence?

 

*

 

Do Kyungsoo, you've been wanting to confess to her your whole life. Now's the perfect chance, so why are you hesitating?

 

Ottokhae what should I do? I didn't intend to make him cry and now he has yet to come back. Should I go look for him?

 

Felicia's guilt soon morphed into worry when Youngjin failed to return from the washroom. She put down her cutlery as she surveyed the room again and again, hoping to find a trace of her date.

 

Glancing towards the door, she spotted a recognisable figure approaching her. It couldn’t be…

 

Before she knew it, there Kyungsoo was, knelt on one knee in front of her, with a bouquet of pink flowers presented to her.

 

“Felicia, I really really really liked you since I first met you and I really am not good with words but will you be my girlfriend?” It all came in one breath before he held up the bouquet and looked down in embarrassment on the floor. Please say yes, please say yes, he mentally prayed that he would not get rejected.

 

Felicia stopped breathing as her mind tried to process whatever he just said. “Okay, wait. So you’ve liked me for so long and you never told me?” She asked, still disbelieving the situation.

 

He could barely look up at her as he nodded meekly, entire face and ears flushing a deep red. By now, they had gained the attention of all the diners in the restaurant, making him more and more nervous by the moment.

 

Her reply of silence was not indicative of anything good, or so it seemed to him. Deciding that she would probably reject him, he would rather he leave before he heard the two-letter word of rejection from her.

 

“I’m sorry I know I shouldn’t have spoilt your date like this. I’ll leave now and see you in class on Monday.” He quickly stood up and turned tail to flee from the awkward situation he was in before.

 

A tug on his hand caused him to turn behind, only to be greeted by a peck on the lips.

 

“Yes, Do Kyungsoo. I like you too.” She smiled, face flushing from her confession.

 

Unable to find words to express their joy, both of them leaned in and their lips met, locking in a gentle and sincere kiss. The applause from the diners were faded out and all they could hear were the rapid thumping of their hearts. He didn’t even realise that he had dropped the bouquet as the both of them put their arms around each other’s waists. Finally running out of breath, they pulled back and gasped for air.

 

“Your fake moustache is annoying you know.” She whispered, breath falling on his lips that were merely inches away.


“Well, bear with it.” He replied, capturing her lips with his once again in a soft kiss, like the petals of a pink gerbera daisy.

 

 


 

A/N from inSHININGspirit: i cannot write fluff to save my life /cringe cring cringe/ but anyways hope you liked it huehuehue anyways this is the secret that we were keeping from you that day, so HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! /runs away hiding face/

A/N from VenenatisPicus: IMAGINE THE KISS FELICIA. JUST IMAGINE THOSE HEART SHAPED LIPS ON YOURS, SLOWLY SAVOURING THE TASTE. IM JEALOUS JUST BY WRITING IT OMG. /BLUSHES MADLY/