Chapter 4: First dream coming true

Dream Of Paradise

April 24th 1950

It’d been ten days since my brother lost his eyesight. In only ten days our lives had changed and we had already stared to adapt to our new situation. I still hadn’t seen the mysterious boy from the bakery again. Maybe he’d just been a stranger passing by, something temporary that I probably wouldn’t come in contact with again.

                      I was now working on my application for medical school. Only on rare occasions girls were actually taken in; girls were more preferably staying at home to learn to be good housewives. But I wasn’t such a girl, I would become a nurse, whether I’d have to do it the hard way or not. No matter what I would fulfil my dream. The application was almost done and ready to be sent to the school. There were only a couple of well chosen lines left to write.

                      “Sun Hi! Could you please go out to buy some vegetables on the market?” eomma yelled from the kitchen.

                      “Sure eomma!” I answered and went out into the hall to put on my shoes. They were worn out, once they’d been dark brown and shiny but now the wear had bleached them, making them almost white.

                      “Oh, and could you please pop by the bakery whilst you’re at it?” eomma stuck out her head from the doorway.

My brother must had heard what she said, because only a second later, his weak voice echoed through the house: “THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!”

                      I bought the vegetables, but when I was on my way to the bakery, I thought about what my brother had yelled. Maybe this was my chance! Maybe I would see him again! At the same time as I really wanted it to happen, a part of me just didn’t. I had no idea of how to react if I were to meet him again. Would I say a simple hi and be awkward for the rest of the time? Would I ignore his entire presence? Or would I freak out and pass out? I truly didn’t know and I wasn’t too fond of the thought of finding out either.

                      When I went into the bakery, it was all empty. The part of me who wanted to see the mystery boy, gazed over the empty room with disappointment, while the other part who didn’t want to see him, gave out a relieved sigh. I rang the bell and ordered my bread from the  flour-covered woman who came running out from a room behind and hurried to stand behind the counter. The door behind me opened and closed and a small bell rang its tinkling sound. I turned around to see who’d made my company in the little bakery.

                      It was him. The boy whom I’d met a few weeks ago. The boy who’d constantly been on my mind since that day. Fireworks went off in my head as I inspected every familiar shape in his perfect face. The face she’d been dreaming about, every single inch flawlessly sculptured. When I realised what I was doing, I immediately turned my back to him and stared down into the floor.

                      “Oh, it’s you from the other day! How was the bread?” his soft voice said from behind me and I shivered whilst slowly turning to him again and questioningly pointed at myself.

                      “Yes of course I’m talking to you! Can you see anyone else in here?” he said and I looked at the counter but the woman was gone.

                      “Um, hi. The bread was good, my little brother thought so too.” I stuttered and forced a polite smile.

The boy laughed and smiled a wholehearted smile. His eyes shrunk to two narrow slits and the corners of his mouth was pulled up so much that he looked like the happiest person in the whole world. At that moment, I was sure that my heart had been all melted.

                      “You seem to be a nice person! I’m Kim Seok Jin, what’s your name?” he said, still smiling.

                      “I-I-I’m Seok Sun Hi.” I managed to blurt out.

                      “It’s really nice to meet you, Seok Sun Hi. I hope we can be friends.” he winked and reached for my hand to shake it.


Soooo, hi again guys!

I know I've been away a lot lately and I really apologise for that!

School's been really tough on me so I haven't had any time to write really. But this is kinda a short update as a warmup because NOW THE REAL FUN BEGINS!! Thank you so much for staying with this fic and the wonderful comments I get <3

Stay awesome everyone!!!