Chapter 2: Morning titter

Dream Of Paradise

A small ray of sunlight broke against a small piece of green coloured glass and split in a thousand points of light. The light arose to the limit so that the world around became slightly more visible. A garden; full of flowers and plants in all their different shapes and colours. There was a sweetness in the air and I breathed it in to sense the most extraordinary scents. What could be more wonderful than this?

I could wander around in this little place as long as I wanted to, for hours and hours and no one would ever disturb my relaxing emotion of freedom. No worries, no regrets, no mistakes; just peacefulness. The boy I had met in the bakery the day before sometimes appeared in front of me, but when I tried to reach to him, he faded away just like a ghost. Maybe he was a ghost after all, haunting my thoughts and dreams momentarily. I could sense his presence from time to time but I was numb, my thoughts couldn’t go as far as considering searching for him on my own. But I was satisfied. There, in my own little paradise.

 

Suddenly there was a voice. A voice which was pulling me upwards, pulling me to consciousness once again. The light in the room was dazzling when I opened my eyes and blinked a few times to wake up properly. My brother stood next to my bed and called my name.

                      “Sun Hi! Wake up!” he repeated again and again until I lastly told him to shut up. He laughed and took one of my pillows in his arms. He threw it up in the air a few times, letting it land softly in his arms again while asking:

                      “You met someone yesterday, didn’t you?”

I was shocked: how could he know? He laughed when he saw my puzzled expression and explained.

                      “You haven’t been mumbling in your sleep ever before. This is the first time. And since you were actually asking someone in that dreamland of yours who they were, I suppose it’s someone new.”

                      I could never have guessed how good my brother’s analytical skills were. He was a true genius!

                      “Is it a boy?” he asked, never ashamed of the very personal and intimate question he had just asked. I blushed and tried  to shake my head, but it came out as a slight nod instead (let’s face it, I at lying). When he saw it, his smile grew even larger.

                      “What’s his name? How does he look like? For how long did you talk to him? Are you in love?” he blurted out question after question, and for each one my face got redder and redder.

                      “I...” I hesitated and my brother curiously leaned forward to hear me better.

“I don’t know.”

That smile disappeared very fast and only left a very disappointed pout.

                      “Aw man! You mean you didn’t ask for his name? Or anything? And you want to find this guy again? You know, it’s going to be hard if you don’t know who he is, especially in a large city like Seoul.”

I looked down into the sheets to signal to him that I was sorry about that.

                      “But not impossible! Let’s go find him today!” my brother shouted so the windowpanes rattled. Now I was even more puzzled than before, but I tried to hide it the best I could.

                      “Shhhh, eomma and appa are going to hear us!” I whispered to him instead and he instantly put his hands over his mouth.

                      “I’m going to be quiet, I promise.” he said through his hands and I laughed at how strange it sounded.

 

The whole morning my brother and I were setting up a plan for how to find this very special boy. Or more likely, he was setting up a plan and I was listening. In only a couple of hours we had an advanced idea of how to find him, but my brother assured me it would be foolproof. We couldn’t fail, we just couldn’t. And I hoped he was right.