One

Vivarium (Indefinite Hiatus)

Most people went to see a doctor when they saw things in flashes.

Most people didn't move in flashes.

Kim Jong In, better known as Kai, liked to think that most people didn't de- and re-materialize over great distances in only seconds. He never had to think that he would suddenly not be one of those people. But when he stormed away from a friend after a fight in his neighborhood on a rainy night, felt an abrupt pain in and against his skull (though he was pretty sure his buddy wouldn't knock him over the head with a blunt object) and opened his eyes to find himself in a hot, dry place that he had never been before... Well, it serves to say that Kai came to the realization that he was not, in fact, like most people.

Shuffling here and there and kicking up hot sand that in turn caked on his rain-soaked clothes, Kai looked around for anything familiar. Where he had previously been shielding his eyes from the rain, he was now using both hands for shade against the burning sun. The stinky water in his T-shirt, jeans, and awfully expensive shoes was dripping and drying in weird places, and Kai would have been upset over how dirty he was if he wasn't already preoccupied with how he'd just teleported.

'I was just there.' he thought to himself, 'I just ran out the door, and I was going up the street, I was so mad...' He kept turning his head from side to side, squinting and scrunching his face up in an expression that wasn't the best-looking. 'It was raining,' he recalled, 'and it was gross. But now it's all hot and sunny and gross.'

"What the hell?" Kai said aloud, turning on his sleek tennis-shoe heel. As much strained staring and confused squeaking as he had done since he first arrived at the beach, he still had no idea what was going on. The pang of pain from his instantaneous traveling had disappeared long before, but it was soon replaced with nausea from anxiety, repulsion at the smell of grungy rainwater, and tiredness from the heat.

Flapping his arms and spinning in circles frantically a few more times, Kai decided he ought to start walking. He looked down at the water splashing the sand and thought nope. He could obviously teleport, but walking on water wasn't something he was going to try any time soon. After coming to that conclusion, he turned in the direction facing away from the ocean and thought alright. Going farther inland would get him to other people soon enough.

'Ok,' Kai mused, shaking himself off, 'You can do this! Just endure for a while- it'll be like one of those survival shows on T.V. You'll get back home soon enough!' He started to plod through the sand, giving himself pep talks every now and then.

Feeling the tug of thirst in his throat only minutes after going out in the scorching heat, Kai was already doubting his ability to continue. His life was flashing before him, and for the second time he became anxious. The dark-haired boy felt his stomach fall and his eyes sting. He had hoped this was only a dream, but his dreams had never been so colorful, uncomfortable, long and grueling before. His clothes and his mind felt heavy.

He had been angry right before then, but at least he had been in a nice little house with electricity and food and people he cared about. His mother and father had let him have a friend over and the boy had willingly invited Sehun. Sehun had been acting odd up to that time, and their relationship hadn't experienced any pleasantness in quite a while. Though Kai was a bit irritated with his friend's loner behavior, he still wanted to spend time with the other boy. Never did he think that they might get into an argument, screaming and knocking things around even with Kai's parents in the house, or that he might leave his own property in a fit of anger.

Along with those things, he never guessed that he might travel to an unknown coast in a second's time. But there he was, trekking along with his head down and his eyes closed to the sun and the throbbing pain in his head, with the cool air surrounding him and the raindrops pelting down-

Wait.

Kai quickly opened his eyes only to be blinded by drops of water, and then slip on the wet asphalt. The six feet that made up his height were all at once horizontal, and the pain in his head that had been disappearing was back full-on. His knee had hit the ground first (and sadly his shoe was scuffed and his jeans torn) but his flower-boy face followed soon after. With something between an unpleasant smacking noise and an oddly low thunk, Kai fell through the centimeter of rainwater on the ground and onto the dark road.

As he slowly pushed himself off of the ground, staring in shock at the huge puddle he was lying in, and fortunately unable to see the reflection of his red, scratched-up face, he heard the slamming of a door and the splashing of footsteps. Just after the door had been closed, Kai's friend Sehun was at his side.

"Dude! What happened?" the blond yelled, sending aching sound waves through Kai's skull. Kai sputtered awkwardly, water and a few tiny pieces of grass flying off of his lips. In another situation, Sehun probably would have laughed at the boy on the ground, especially because of the fish-like huffing noises he was making, but the blond had enough sense not to laugh this time. He was still mad about the fight earlier, shocked that Kai had run away from his own home for any amount of time, and worried that the other boy might have gone out and done something he'd regret later. Sehun wanted a clear answer, and he hoped they would be able to carry on a calm conversation.

But all he and Kai really manage at the moment was to gasp and question.

"K-Kai!" Sehun stammered, bending his legs and his back to help the kneeling Kai get on his feet. "Seriously," he said, pulling the other up by his bare arms, "What happened?" He let go and started gesturing wildly at the other boy's disheveled body, making weirder noises than Kai had. "You- ugh, what- you- seriously, what?" Sehun jumbled and craned his neck, looking at Kai like what he'd said was totally clear, waiting for an answer. Kai stared blankly back at him. Or really, he stared at something, or nothing, because he didn't seem able to focus.

"I... I just- I..." Clearly, something the two friends had in common was stuttering when in shock. They also shared their ability to block out the ice-cold rain soaking their nice clothes, but not for long. Kai stood silently for a few seconds, just trying to gather his thoughts as Sehun put a spotlight on him, and something clicked in his mind. He looked at Sehun, actually at him this time, and slowly shook his head.

"I guess I was just looking for somewhere to go," Kai replied to his friend's question. He took a step back from Sehun and nodded his head. "Yeah," he continued, smiling awkwardly, "I ran around the neighborhood til I cooled off, y'know?" He looked up through the slowing drizzle and held out his hand to gather droplets, finishing his story with, "Literally."

Sehun was quiet for a while after that, simply staring at Kai until the rain came to a full stop. "Oh," he said softly, finally averting his eyes. Looking down at the ground, the he cleared his throat. "OK... Well, uh, I guess we should go inside now." The excitement from moments ago was now a stiffness in both of them. Sehun tucked his hands in his pockets and took a step toward the house before Kai even realized that they had changed the topic.

"Oh, yeah." was Kai's late reply. They both set into wobbly movement, straining to take comfortable steps in their damp jeans.

"Wait," Sehun called out of the blue, though Kai had opened the door already. "Did you drop something?" he asked the boy on the doorstep.

"Uh... No, not that I remember-"

"OK, well, I'll go get it."

Kai peered after his retreating friend, totally lost. The day had been enough trouble, so he shrugged it off and entered the open door. Sehun waited until the door was closed for a small amount of time before looking back. The rapid beating of his heart slowed to an almost normal pace. He had been afraid that he would either have panicked over Kai's safety or yelled at the temperamental boy.

That was the reason he had started avoiding the other boy in the first place- he didn't want to go off. He thought he'd be fine after a few days away from Kai and everyone else, but he was wrong and things almost went sour. If that had happened, something terrible could have followed.

Sehun looked out into the sky as the clouds over Kai's house began to clear. Everything seemed to be calming down, and he was glad for that. He took in a deep breath to finish relaxing his body. Exhaling, he ran a hand through his hair to fight the wind blowing past him.

Hopefully, he thought, everything would be OK.

As the rain poured down and harsh winds rushed between houses and over the land in the distance, it was entirely expected that some people were experiencing the storm differently. In one place, the water pelting the ground hid the unnatural vibration of the Earth beneath the feet of a small boy. In another place, lightning struck awfully close to where a mellow teenager was standing. Nearby, the air around his friend was disturbingly cold.

"This is crazy, Chen," said Kim Minseok, thoughtlessly grabbing his friend's hand and stepping behind him to get away from the lightning, though it was very unlikely that he'd be electrified. Kim Jongdae, or Chen, had trouble averting his attention from the light-streaked sky. He only looked down when he felt the hairs on his arm stand up at the other boy's ice-cold touch.

"Yeah..." Chen breathed as his friend realized how close they were and backed away. He looked down over his shoulder and laughed, his deep voice almost lost in the pitter-patter of the rain. "Isn't it amazing, Xiumin?" he asked, biting his bottom lip with a smile and turning his awe-filled eyes back to the sky. He took in a deep breath, his shoulders rearing back, and the older but smaller Minseok, nicknamed Xiumin, stopped breathing as he waited to see what his friend was about to do.

With no warning other than the pause it took for him to breathe in, Chen screamed out toward the open land beneath the hill they were standing on, and the clouds appeared to crack with blindingly bright light. Xiumin let out a surprised laugh which was quite like a gasp and the grass around him grew frosty. Chen took note when the previously soft grass crunched under his feet.

"Xiumin!" the tall boy said excitedly, grinning at his friend. "This is usWe are making this happen!" Xiumin laughed, for that statement was obvious, but he was the type of person to encourage someone to go on about whatever they were excited about, so he nodded for Chen to continue.

And that's what the other boy did. Chen grabbed Xiumin's hands and began to pull him around, spinning them both and hopping up and down like a child. "Xiumin, Xiumin!" he sang, lightning bursting in the background. Instead of saying any more than a name, he settled on making garbled and cheerful noises. The rain began to slow down, but the lightning showed up even more. Chen continued to turn in circles with Xiumin, occasionally crushing the bits of ice left by Xiumin's light steps.

"Ooh! Aah!" Chen admired his electric handiwork jokingly, letting Xiumin go and waving his own hands in arcs as lightning zigzagged in front of him. He started to speak in a loud announcer voice, "Here we have Chen who, while he isn't the best at brewing coffee, can control lightning!"

Xiumin clapped to humor him, and Chen said, "And here is the lovely Xiumin who is remarkably better at making a good cup o' joe, and whose powers might come in handy for some iced coffee!" Xiumin feigned shock at being mentioned, and posed with his hands cupping his face, being sure to add a nice puff of icy fog to the movement. He was the sheepish type, but he wasn't afraid to act silly with someone as free as Chen.

While the pair of college kids weren't super close, they shared a lot of traits- the biggest being superpowers. In any other case, the somewhat reserved Xiumin would likely still have met and befriended the charismatic Chen, for there was a chance for an interesting relationship to develop even before Chen saw the smaller boy freeze a glass of soda with only his hands at a party they had both been invited to.

Still, Chen was glad that he'd found someone to tell his secret, and glad that Xiumin was both too quiet and too polite to spread it. He found it odd and great that two people in one area might be gifted with abilities like theirs, and he wondered if there was anyone else like them out there.

But, as he gazed at the laughing, light-skinned boy beside him, Chen didn't mind it that they were the only two people like them.

On the contrary, a pouty younger boy in another part of town was struggling with the same thing that those two strangers on a hill were finding delight in. As the rain died down but the vibration of the ground continued, his secret was bordering on being revealed. Do Kyungsoo fidgeted in his seat, tapping his foot almost as fast as the rhythmic shaking of the floor.

'Holy crap,' he thought, 'just stop.' Whether that thought was aimed at his person or at his actions was unclear to the boy himself. 'D.O.,' he thought out his own nickname, deciding he'd talk to himself rather than his power, 'I swear, if you don't stop right now...'

What was he going to do? Beat himself up? Cause a bigger earthquake and knock himself over? Kyungsoo didn't know, but he swore. His power had no mind, so it couldn't have known what Kyungsoo was threatening it with, but luckily for the nervous boy it stopped.

"Yes!" Kyungsoo meant to say in his thoughts but actually spoke aloud, doing a tiny celebratory fist pump. As quietly as he had hissed the word and as small as his fist pump had been, his friends had noticed.

"Are... are you okay?" questioned Byun Baekhyun, he and Park Chanyeol looking at the antsy boy with confusion apparent in their features.

"Mm, yeah. Yes." Kyungsoo told them, nodding his head. They said ok and began to turn away, but looked back when he kept going, "Mmhmm. Yep. Totally." Chanyeol was somewhere between amused and annoyed, though usually Kyungsoo would be annoyed with him. The boys all had sort of love-hate relationships, and it could be said that the person who kept their friendships strong was Kai, but he wasn't present and things were getting weird.

"Okay, D.O., we get it." said Baekhyun, chuckling. Chanyeol nodded in agreement, staring Kyungsoo down. Then, he looked past the boy he didn't know could shake parts of the planet and saw that the cafe window was much less wet than it had been some time ago.

"Hey, the rain cleared up, it's safe to head out." Chanyeol spoke up, calling attention to himself. The few strangers at tables and the pair of workers behind the counter noticed and started to shuffle about. His group of three all stood up, pushing their chairs and stools in with loud creaks.

Chanyeol walked out first and everyone blamed the flood of coolness on the open door. Baekhyun followed, and the building seemed a little bit darker without him. Kyungsoo was last in the line of friends, and there was a little bounce to his step now that he had his power under control. He walked without fear of creating gaps in the grass or sidewalk out front, and he followed behind his friends quietly in the few moments before he had to leave.

"Alright," he said, patting his hands against his thighs as they reached the end of the street, "I guess this is it." Chanyeol and Baekhyun smiled at him and each said their goodbyes. Kyungsoo was polite with a "hope to see you later" before he hurried away. Man, was he glad to go home and relax.

At home in bed with no need to look proper and calm in public, he didn't have to worry about, say, his friends falling through a crack in the ground because of him. Hey, he thought to himself, he had subdued it today, so surely he'd be able to do it in the future!

Totally.