Kim Hyojung

동화 (Fairytale)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Kim Hyojung

 

Jessica sighed contentedly as she swung back and forth on a bench swing. The air was nice and chilly, and the surroundings peaceful and quiet.

 

Far away in the distant sky hung one of the most beautiful rainbows she had ever seen. The sight so captivated her that she hardly noticed when somebody stopped her swing.

 

“Lovely, isn’t it?” A figure settled down beside her softly and picked her hands up.

 

“It’s amazing…” Jessica nodded in agreement, turning her head to the side to smile at the girl, “I don’t get to see these very often back home.”

 

“I’ll make sure there’s one here every time you visit then!”

 

Jessica’s face lighted up at once and she almost hollered a shriek of joy, “Really? You promise?”

 

“Of course! It’s not hard to do. Just as long as you don’t get too bored of them,” The girl answered.

 

“I won’t!”

 

“Ever?”

 

“Ever.”

 

“Alright, if that’s really what you want. You know I’d do anything for you, Sica.”

 

Lips stretching into a small smile, Jessica continued, “Hyojung-ah, thank you…” She suddenly looked like she was on the brink of tears.

 

“Hey, what’s the matter?”

 

The girl shook her head hastily, “It’s nothing… I was just thinking…” She paused to chew her bottom lip, “I really wish I could stay here forever…”

 

Hyojung reached out to ruffle the girl’s hair, sifting her fingers softly through the silky strands. The expression on her face grew a little bitter seeing Jessica so bothered, “I wish you could, too.”

 

“Everything is different over here… it feels as though nothing can ever go wrong when I’m with you.”

 

They sat in silence for a few seconds just gazing into each other’s eyes. They didn’t even need words to communicate sometimes. The company of each other was more than enough for the two girls.

 

Exhaling decisively, Hyojung hopped off the bench and bent down slightly, resting her hands on her knees, “Come on!” She wiggled her shoulders and Jessica seemed to understand immediately. Springing to her feet with a wide smile upon her face, she climbed onto the taller girl’s back and wrapped her arms around her shoulders.

 

Easily bearing the girl’s weight, Hyojung straightened her knees and grinned, “Where to?”

 

“Wherever you’ll take me,” Jessica rested her head against the girl’s back and hugged her even tighter.

 

“Be careful not to fall off now. Here we go!”

 

As she sped off, Jessica couldn’t help but release a childlike laugh as the wind tousled her hair, “Slow down!”

 

“Jessica Jung! Are you even there?! Jung Sooyeon, I swear if you don’t get up this minute, I’m going to skin you alive with my own hands! Do you hear me? I’m about to collapse from-- oh, no… no, no, no!”

 

When the girl finally opened her eyes, all she saw was the back of her best friend and a huge tree ahead of them. Before she knew it, the tandem bicycle they were riding crashed right into the large trunk and toppled over, taking the both of them down with it. She knew it was serious when she heard a loud squeal from Taeyeon.

 

****

 

“I… I’m sorry, Tae…” Jessica apologized for the umpteenth time as she watched Sunny press another icepack against the girl’s swollen ankle. It looked really bad.

 

“It’s okay…” Her friend did not look too bothered by it. In fact, it appeared as though she was pretty happy that they had an accident. Maybe it was because she now had the undivided attention of her crush.

 

“It’s okay? Your ankle is twice its size, Taeyeon-ah… it’s probably gonna be a couple of weeks or more before you’ll be able to walk properly again. Furthermore, how are we gonna explain this to your mom?” It was typical of Sunny to constantly be conjuring the worst of scenarios being the pessimistic person she was.

 

“I’ll just tell her it’s my own fault, don’t worry… and as far as walking is concerned, I have you to lean on, don’t I?” The dark-haired girl smiled shyly.

 

“I’ll help you as much as I can,” Sunny nodded affirmatively before turning to Jessica, who still looked guilty as ever, “What the heck were you thinking, Sica-yah? This is the second time you almost got our Taengoo killed.”

 

“I…”

 

“You fell asleep while riding a bicycle. I’m pretty sure that was a Guinness World Record moment,” Taeyeon commented.

 

“You what?!” Sunny’s eyes almost popped out of their sockets when she heard the words. When Taeyeon let out a shriek, she realized she had applied too much pressure and pulled away shortly, “Ah, mian!”

 

“I’ll… I’ll go get us more water,” Jessica prepared to get up.

 

“Not so fast. I think you owe Taeng an explanation…” Sunny’s words stopped her before she could go anywhere.

 

Fiddling with her fingers, the girl tried to think of something appropriate to say, “I… the bench swing… I mean… it was… the… the bicycle seat was too comfortable and I guess I just drifted off without knowing…”

 

There was a long pause as her two other friends gaped at her with their jaws ajar.

 

Seeing their semi-shocked expressions, she tried a little harder to explain, “I was talking about the bicycle seat… you know, that soft cushiony thing you sit on--”

 

“Yah, Sica,” Taeyeon interrupted, “Could you maybe try to explain things to us in an understandable way? I honestly don’t have a clue what you’re talking about… you don’t make any sense sometimes…”

 

But she couldn’t. She had no idea how she was going to tell them the truth without them starting to think she was a lunatic. As such, all she could do was shrug in response, “I tried, Tae… I… I guess my brain doesn’t like giving explanations… I’m just really sorry for causing this to happen… I’ll go get us more water,” She finished and hurried off before they could stop her again.

 

Sunny shook her head h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter