1/1

Crooked Love

Toheart… Toheart… it didn’t matter how much they would say it, it still sounded cheesy. Oh but it didn’t end there their tittle song’s name ‘Delicious’, like their name wasn’t finger cringing it enough. Luckily their second single was something alright; even Sunggyu had wanted that song for himself, ‘Tell Me Why’, it was the best song in the whole mini album.

Key and Woohyun walked into their dressing room breathing heavily after their performance. Key dried his sweat with a small tissue, while Woohyun quickly searched for a bottle of water, once he clenched his parched throat he collapse his body on the couch. After a few minutes of silence and breath-catching, Key walked over to where Woohyun was and sat on the center table placed before the couch.

“Let me ask you something, I know our companies… well our company arranged this duet-thing” Key said adding the ‘I quoted’ gesture. “But, and answer me with all honesty, but would you have prefer doing this duet thing with Sunggyu-hyung?” he asked with a questioning face.

“It’s not tha-” Woohyun started and moved to a sitting position, so he could face his best friend.

“Common we’re best friends, it’s okay, I won’t feel hurt” Key insisted feeling curious about Woohyun’s thoughts of their duet, but even more about his thoughts about Infinite’s leader.

“Yes” he answered and waited for Key’s aggressive reaction that never came, all he got was a nod. “But I’m happy to be doing this with you, you are my best friend and plus, we are doing what we love together right?” again he just got a nod. “Keyyy~ My bum~” Woohyun whined with aegyo as he gave Key a hug. “You can’t get mad at me, I mean you asked me to be honest, and besides if you didn’t want to know the truth why even ask?” Woohyun said as let go of his friend and gave him a stern look.

“Well, because he has mention it before, quite openly I might add, and you” he let out a laugh and stood walking away. “All you do is talk about him, ‘the one with small eyes this, the one with small eyes that’, heol~” he kept on laughing, while Woohyun looked at him clueless through the mirror. “OhmyGod! You are that oblivious?!” Key turned and it was now Key, the one looking weirdly at him.

“I don’t understand” BIG-FAT LIE.

“Oh this is just precious” Key said as he shocked his head judgingly.

“What is? Stop going around the bush and just come out and say it” Woohyun was now visibly mad and nervous, he was feeling the heat on his cheeks and the perspiration was now present on his forehead.

“Okay, first, come down, and secondly, I think I’m gonna let you find out by yourself” Key said with a wink and his trademark smirk. “My manager is here, I’ll see you tomorrow” he walked up to Woohyun and patted his head. “Sleep on it” with that he left.

“Sleep on what, if you didn’t say anything!” Woohyun screamed hoping his friend would hear.

Woohyun wasn’t as dumb as he looked; he knew what Key meant, because sometimes his feelings for Sunggyu came through naturally. It was hard to keep them in place when Sunggyu was constantly there, even he was the MC of their showcase and he kept bringing up Infinite V. Woohyun gathered his stuff from the dressing room and left for his van, which was already waiting for him. He dropped his things in a harsh manner that didn’t go unnoticed by his manager.

“Is everything okay?” he asked while looking at Woohyun through the mirror.

"Nothing new, Kibum being a like always" Woohyun said as the buildings passed before his eyes.

"What happen to 'he is like my soul mate'" his manager asked with a chuckle.

"He is teasing me because of Sunggyu-hyung" he simply replied.

"What about him?" his manager pushed.

"He kept teasing me because I mention Sunggyu-hyung a couple times during the interview" he explained with a raising tone, his anger taking over again, he tried so hard to keep his feeling for his bandmate to himself, just to have Key making him feel vulnerable.

"A couple of times?" Woohyun could sense the sarcasm in his manager's tone. "It was more than a couple of times" his manager pointed out and that was it for him.

"Okay, so I talk about Sunggyu-hyung a lot, so what? Is that so wrong? Is it wrong that I admired him so much that I think it would have been great to do a duet with him, and share stage together outside of Infinite?" Woohyun was mad, but beyond that hurt. Why was his admiration for his hyung so questioned and judged by everyone? They had been through a lot along the years, all the sacrifice, all the sweat and all the tears they had shed together, had brought them closer to each other. They understood each other, supported each other and cared for each other, there was no one who got him better than his hyung.

"Woohyun there's nothing wrong if what you feel for him it's only admiration" Woohyun's stomach tied onto a knot. "You need to remember that you are an idol, there are people you need to answer to" he felt the air leaving his body and his mouth went dried, making it harder to swallow.

"I know hyung-nim, why would you say that?" he asked nervously.

"I just don't want to see you both get hurt, this world is very cruel. Do you think Infinite is the first group I manage? In this world one day you are on top and the next you are not" after this a heavy silence filled the van.

When they got to the apartment everyone was already in bed, he proceed to bathe and say goodbye to his manage and walked into his room. He drop his stuff on floor and walked to bed, as he got on bed he felt something soft and warm, and he knew Sunggyu was on his bed.

"Hyung?" he whispered as he placed his body sideways next to Sunggyu’s. “What are you doing here?” he asked softly.

“The kids were making a fuss and since you were coming in late, I thought I could sleep here until you came” he said as he tried to make Woohyun’s face out in the darkness.

“Are you sure is not because you miss me?” Woohyun asked unable to hold back the grin forming in his face.

“Missed you? Me?” he said with his eyes opening wide, well as wide as they can get.

“Come on hyung, you missed me” he said and pocked Sunggyu.

“Yah!” Sunggyu whined and he laughed, there was nothing he loved most than to get a rise out of Sunggyu.

“It’s okay hyung~, I missed you too” Woohyun said softly and more serious than before, Sunggyu knew well what he meant. It was okay for them to miss each other, right? It was okay for Sunggyu to be here, in Woohyun’s room, on Woohyun’s bed, right?

“Why would you miss me? It’s not like you are alone, you are with Key” Sunggyu’s eyes avoided Woohyun’s burning gaze.

“I wanna be with you” he blurted out, when his brain registered his mistake and the look on Sunggyu’s face, he cleared his throat. “I mean, you know that wanted to do this duet with you…Infinite V” he said and smiled when he heard Sunggyu chuckle. “You know, I think I hurt Kibum’s feelings today because of you” he continued in a deep and soft voice.

“Why because of me?” Sunggyu asked with a bit of aegyo, which made Woohyun smile again. This is why he so special…because of everything he makes me feel.

“Mostly because I said I would’ve like to do the duet you, instead of him” he answered. “And it’s the truth… I wanna share the stage with you, doing what we love” his fingers traveled on their own to carefully trace path from Sunggyu’s eyebrow, to his nose and then his lips. Sunggyu’s eyes followed Woohyun’s as they settle on his lips, and then back to each other.

“We do that already…” he swallowed hard. “…Infinite” was all he could say.

“I know…but I want you and me only, always” then he felt it, the snap and the pull, the something that was bringing him closer to Sunggyu.

“Woo~” he tried to build something coherent to stop what he knew it could never be stopped. He felt his mouth go dry and he noticed Woohyun’s too by the way he his lips. “I-I think I better go” Sunggyu said as he quickly got of bed.

“Yeah” Woohyun said with a sigh as he dropped his face into the pillow, as a sign of defeat.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” Sunggyu said and walked, without giving Woohyun a chance to say anything.

It took everything in Woohyun to fall asleep that night. He felt vulnerable, and exposed; he had almost crossed a line with no return. Woohyun was everything but stupid, he knew exactly what Key was talking about, he and Sunggyu had toyed with that thin line for years, all the long talks, the sleeping together and the seemly-unseen touches. Woohyun was sure that his feelings were reciprocated, there was no doubt about it, and maybe in another situation he would have given in, but there was too much at risk.

////

When the morning came, Woohyun still felt the same heaviness in his chest, he wandered if he had pushed too much. He cursed Key’s name as he got of bed, this was all his fault, yes they were best friend and yes they told each other everything, still there are things that you don’t even talk to your friends, and his feelings for his hyung was one of them. He pushed all unnecessary thoughts aside, and started packing his bag knowing his ride would there soon. When he walked out of the room he found his bandmates, all but one.

“Hyung~ come have breakfast with us” said Sungjong smiling brightly to what Woohyun answered with a nod, and sat next to Sungyeol.

“Where’s Sunggyu-hyung?” he asked casually.

“He said he wasn’t feeling well and he was gonna skip breakfast” Woohyun’s eyes widened, he thought he had made Sunggyu feel uncomfortable enough for him to avoid him.

“Shouldn’t someone check on him” he asked worried.

“Nah, he is fine, he is just old” said L with a giggle.

Woohyun felt his phone buzz and he knew he had to leave. He felt anger rising, he was so stupid, and he had screwed majorly was all he could think about as he made his way to the van. The ride was mostly silent apart for the usual: ‘slept well’ and ‘did you have breakfast?’ from his manager.

“Morning sunshine!” he was greeted by Key, who was already in the dressing room. “Or not” he continued when he noticed the bad mood painted on Woohyun’s face. “Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked now more concerned.

“I’m what’s wrong…” he said as he sat on his chair. “…you are what’s wrong” he said almost out himself.

“Excuse me? What, exactly, did I do?” Key asked and moved closer to where Woohyun was sitting.

“You” he said pointing at him as he stood. “What you said yesterday…it made me confused” Woohyun said almost rambling.

“Woohyun I didn’t make you confused, okay. You’ve always known what you feel for him, deep down, you always knew, didn’t you?” Key asked carefully seeing how everything was affecting his friend.

“I don’t know, Kibum” Woohyun struggled; it wasn’t easy to voiced his feelings. “Yes, maybe…” he dropped his body on the chair. “I care for him so much, and when he’s not around I miss him like crazy, I’m impressed by everything he does, he makes want to be better every day, and I just want to be close to him, always” the words leaving his mouth became a realization of everything he felt for Sunggyu.

“You really love him, don’t you?” Key knew he had gone a little too far. Being an idol and falling in love isn’t easy, he knew that much, but being a homoual idol was far more complicated. He could see the struggle in Woohyun eyes, Woohyun had always been aware of his real feelings, he was fighting them, fighting them to protect the group and Sunggyu, and Key realized that now. “I’m sorry Woohyun, I shouldn’t have meddle” Key said with an apologetic look.

“Don’t be. You were right about everything” he let out a cynical chuckle. “I almost kissed him last night, I’ve always wanted to and last night…I just couldn’t control myself and I think I screw things up” he said hopelessly.

“You didn’t and trust me on this, I’m sure that you are not the only one who feel this way” Key said with confidence.

“What do you mean?” Woohyun asked with a frown.

“Well, that if the world can see it, I can see it too, Sunggyu also feels the same way about you, na na na” Key stopped Woohyun from interrupting. “Let me finish” he said as he pointed a finger sternly with a mother-like aura. “Woohyun, can you see the way he cares for you, and the way he misses you like crazy, how impressed he is by everything you do, how you make him better and how much he wants to be with you, always” was Key right? In the past he could have believed that, but after the events of last night he wasn’t so sure.

“But Kibum, he rejected me” Woohyun was now pacing around the room gathering Key’s words and his own thoughts.

“So what? He is afraid, can you blame him? Aren’t you, I mean, afraid? Aren’t we all?” Woohyun understood what Key and he was right, he was afraid and Sunggyu was probably also afraid.

“I don’t know, let’s forget everything and get ready” Woohyun said turning to his stuff giving his back to Key, who decided not pressed the topic anymore.

The day went by slower than what he liked, it was full of interviews, recordings, and of course, fans. He had obviously mention Sunggyu again ‘casually’ in one of the interviews, but by the time he acknowledge that he had done it again, it had already been broadcasted to millions of South Koreans. By the time they were done there was no greasiness, aegyo or hearts left in him or Key. The bided goodbye in a bittersweet way, the air still remained a bit tense between them, so Woohyun decided to leave this time first.

When he arrived at the dorms he found the kitchen light on and Sunggyu making his way calmly through it. He smiled at the sight, Sunggyu moved clumsily as he quietly sang ‘Tell Me Why’.

“You really wanted that song for yourself didn’t you?” Woohyun asked startling Sunggyu a bit. "What are you doing still awake?" he asked as dropped his things and entered the kitchen.

“I wanted that song to be a duet between us” Sunggyu answered. “And for your information, I'm having a snack” Sunggyu said as he turned to face Woohyun. He held a cup of ramyeon and sat on the small table in the middle of the kitchen, and separated him from Woohyun.

“You'll get bloated if you eat ramyeon before going to bed” Woohyun mention casually.

"It's fine, I got nothing to do tomorrow" Sunggyu said as he stuffed his mouth. He watched as Woohyun walked over to the sink and picked out a pair of chopstick, and sat across from him. "Don't you have an interview tomorrow?" he asked as he saw Woohyun reaching for his ramyeon.

"Yeah, but who cares, I'm hungry" he said and took a mouthful as he studied Sunggyu's reaction.

“Whatever, it’s your face the one that’s gonna come out bloated” he mocked Woohyun, who just smiled looking at him.

A small silence filled the room, and Woohyun kept eating and Sunggyu just let him. Woohyun suddenly stopped, his eyes almost blank as he stared into nothingness.

"Were you avoiding me this morning?" he asked suddenly taking Sunggyu by surprise.

"Me? Avoiding you?" he said clearly uncomfortable. "Of course not" he was clearly lying and the worst part was that Woohyun could see right through him.

"Well, it felt like it” he said to what Sunggyu just shrugged.

“But I wasn’t, so there and give me my ramyeon back” he took the cup from Woohyun, who didn’t struggle and just stared at him.

“Be honest, please, you were avoiding me” Sunggyu dropped his chopstick in annoyment and felt silent. “About last night-” Woohyun really wanted explained but the elder wouldn’t let him even begin.

“I don’t want to talk about it” he said firmly.

“But Sunggyu-hyung, I just don’t want you to-” he tried to start again, but it was useless.

“I said I don’t want to talk about it, ‘cause there nothing to talk about” Sunggyu was now starting to put the wall, Woohyun could see building before his eyes, but he was kinda done with everything.

“You are right, there’s nothing to talk about, and especially about how we almost didn’t kiss” Woohyun was being sarcastic and he knew.

“Please Woohyun; I don’t want to do this right now, okay? It’s late and you have scheduled tomorrow, so” Sunggyu walked out of the kitchen and into the living room, as he made his way for his bedroom

“Why do you always do this? Every time we get too close, you find a way to push us apart, Key was right, you are afraid” Sunggyu stopped his tracks and turned to looked at Woohyun, whose face had gone red and his veins were about pop.

“Yeah and of what would that be?” he asked with a scowl.

“Us!” Woohyun’s angered was getting to him.

“Woohyun-” Sunggyu tried to stop him from having the conversation he had been avoiding for years.

“Of what you feel for me, ‘cause you know exactly what I feel for you” Woohyun was not gonna take it anymore, they needed to talk about it.  

“Yes, yes, I am afraid, you wanna know why? Because I spend every day looking after 6 people, people who I care about, and who I need to protect. So, yeah, I am afraid” Sunggyu said, anger also getting to him. He needed to protect everyone’s dreams, he was the leader, and there was no place for boy crushes or love.

“’Sunggyu, I-” Woohyun saw the panic of Sunggyu’s eyes and started to regret bringing up the conversation.

“No, let me finish. You are right about me knowing what you feel for me, I know because it’s what I feel for you. I have for a long time, even before you” he chuckled. “It’s been so hard for me to ignore you; I just want to be close to you, doing what we love. But I don’t want my feelings to for you to be this group’s downfall” Sunggyu said as his eyes filled with tears. “I don’t want our love to be someone else’s pain, I don’t want our love to be something dirty, so let’s just leave things the way they are” he said and the tears fell from his eyes.

“It doesn’t have to be like that, god!” Woohyun just brought his palms to his face. He looked at Sunggyu’s eyes and knew that there was nothing he could do or say to change his mind. “So, it doesn’t matter how I love you or how much you love me, we can never be?” Sunggyu nodded, avoiding Woohyun’s gaze. “Okay, I guess…I guess you are right…” Woohyun said and got his back pack and walked towards his room.

“Woohyun ah” Sunggyu softly called out. Woohyun turned around and walked over to where Sunggyu was standing and caught his face between his trembling hands

“Why? Why does it have to be like this?” it was a rhetorical question, Sunggyu knew that. “Let me kiss you” Woohyun said bluntly. “Just this one, one kiss and we go back to the way we were, you the grumpy grandpa” they both chuckled. “And I to the cute dongsaeng… and I’ll go back to doing this duet with Key, while whishing it was you” he moved his face closer to Sunggyu, slowly caressing his cheeks. He looked for some type of hesitation in Sunggyu’s eyes but saw none and like that he closed the distance between them.

They mouthed each other clumsily for a few moments, both out of practice, before it turned into a proper kiss and it stayed hesitant for a long time, since Woohyun didn’t want rush and scare away Sunggyu. Once he felt Sunggyu relax under his touch the kiss grew bolder. His worries left his mind; he wasn’t taking advantage of Sunggyu, not with Sunggyu gently encouraging Woohyun with his tongue to open his mouth, entrance he oh-so-kindly granted.

Their tongues slid against each other as Sunggyu let out a helpless little moan, making Woohyun smile into the kiss. Their kiss screamed need and love, and they love the feeling of each other’s touch, so Sunggyu left himself have this, this one little thing, one little kiss, knowing that it could never happen again as long as there was Infinite. After what felt like a long time, it was Woohyun who pulled away, resting his forehead against Sunggyu’s while catching his breath. They slowly opened their eyes, and Woohyun’s attention fell on Sunggyu’s swollen lips, instantly his and smiling proud of what he had made Sunggyu feel, even if it was just for a little while.

“I love you Woohyun ah” those words brought him out of his daze and tears to his eyes.

“I love you too, more than you will ever know” he said with a smile, knowing this was it all they could ever have.

Sunggyu slowly removed Woohyun’s hands from his face, and walked away and into his room. Leaving Woohyun behind after having had a taste of what he could never have. After a while Woohyun gather himself and his things and walked into his room.

////

“God! I’m so tired; all my beautiful body is killing me. Luckily, tomorrow we don’t have schedule” Key said and collapsed his body on the couch in their dressing room.

“I kissed him” Woohyun said from where he was standing.

“You what?” Key asked surprised and raised his body from the couch and walked over to his friends.

“I kissed him, Sunggyu” he repeated himself.

“You sneaky bastard” Key lightly punched him as he smirked. “So?”

“We kissed, that’s it” he simply said.

“What do you mean ‘that’s it’, what about everything else?” Key kept interrogating.

“There’s no ‘everything else’, that was all, one kiss” Key noticed the pain in Woohyun’s eyes and voice. “He’s right, we are idols, and he is our leader, he needs to be looking out for us. If we were together it would only be another worry, a risk and we can’t jeopardize the group” Key could see the resignation in Woohyun and it hurt him, because he was right, it was risk and it would eventually only bring them pain and suffering.

“I’m sorry Woohyun” Key said and hugged his friend.

“Where not going to be idols forever, right?” he said trying to reassure himself that maybe someday… “Maybe, then?” Key knew how much he needed it to hear.

“Maybe then” Key assured him with a smile.

__________________________________________________________

That's it! Yeah no happy ending, why?? Because it leaves the door opened, not for a sequel, but for you own imagination. Guys I know I still have hanging the MinKey spin-off of Communion and it's coming, it's just, it's become longer than what I wanted a one-shot to be. I'm also working on another Woogyu fic, on a chaptered Keo and on re-writing some old Woogyu fic to re-upload them. 

I hope you guys liked this, let me know, what you think.

Thanks to all the silent readers and subscribers, until then...