Chapter 4

Lachrymose

 

 

Flashback: (Part 1)

 

 

"Congratulations, Hannie! Finally, it all paid off. You can now be called Doctor Lu Han!" Yoona yelled while hugging her boyfriend. She patted his back. He chuckled then kissed her temple. He shook his head then held her shoulders, he looked straight into her eyes.

 

"Thank you for being so understanding throughout the years Yoong. But you know that I want everyone to really acknowledge me first. I want my grandpa to be really proud of me." He said as the tears started to well up on his eyes. She softened at the sight and kissed his cheek.

 

"Then you're a few steps away from that. What's your plan?" She asked as they started to walk towards Luhan's car.

 

"We'll have dinner with my family and your family, remember?" He said, keeping his smile.

 

"You silly. I meant, what are your plans after this? Now that you've graduated." She asked.

 

"I don't know yet, Yoong. Let's not talk about that first. Where's Sehun?" He asked as he fished out his car keys. They went inside the car.

 

"I don't know about that kid. But he said he'll come for dinner."

 

"Still referring to him as a kid, eh? You know about his little crush on you, right?" Luhan to which she pouted making him laugh. "Okay, okay. I'll stop."

 

 

5 months later....

 

 

"Let's get married."

 

"What?"

 

"I'm serious."

 

"Yoona-"
 

"No, really. I'm serious, Hannie. We've been together for how many years. We're both successful. Let's go on with it." She said.

 

"Correction, you're successful. I'm not. Yet. I still have a long way to go and we both know that. Why are you suddenly saying that?" He asked, still shocked at Yoona's suggestion.

 

"We've already planned this, remember? When you graduate, we'll get married. Seriously, I'm fine with you being busy while trying to make a name for yourself." She said. Right, he remembered. They told each other they'd get married when he graduates.

 

"It's not in our tradition to say yes to girl's proposal though." He squinted his eyes at her.

 

"Let's just pretend that you proposed and I said yes." She giggled.

 

"Let's tell our parents first." He said.

 

 

 

"What did you just say?" Yoona's father asked and the whole room went silent. Yoona and Luhan gulped.

 

"I'm asking for your daughter's hand, sir." They have been together for awhile but Luhan insisted to call him that until they get married.

 

"You're already holding it." The old man said while eyeing their clasped hands.

 

"Ey, you know that's not what he meant dad." Yoona nervously chuckled.

 

"I'm sorry. I'll repeat. Sir, I would like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage. I promise I'll work hard for our future so you wouldn't have to worry about anything. My mom and dad have approved already. My family has considered her already as one of ours when we started dating." Luhan, being the decent man that he was, explained to her father. Her father thought deliberately for awhile while Yoona's mother was patting his back while smiling at the younger couple in front of them.

 

"You don't have to prove yourself worthy to me, Luhan. You know that. Just take care of my daughter and never ever make her cry or I will send you back to China." He said seriously while Yoona's mother just nodded.
 

"Don't believe that. He won't do that and I know you'll never make me cry." Yoona whispered to Luhan, he squeezed her hand.

 

"Yes sir. You have my word."

 

"Then let's start planning."

 

 

 

Weeks passed by and they started to plan their wedding. The venue, the invited guests, the motif. All was well. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were arguing on who should become Yoona's maid of honor. But in the end, Yoona chose Taeyeon.

 

Everything was doing well. Until three days before the wedding...

 

(Ring ring)

 

"Hello?"

 

"Yoong? Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" Rubbing her eyes, she checked the time and it definitely said 3:02 in the morning which meant it was 2:02 am in China. She was still trying to collect her thoughts when Luhan spoke again, "Yoong? Are you there?"

 

"Yes, yes. I'm here- Oh my, is there something wrong?" There must be something wrong because Luhan was fine the last time they talked which was before Yoona went to bed. He never called at an ungodly hour unless he was just randomly checking on her. But that never happened anymore. It did happen a lot of times but recently, he stopped already but she didn't mind it.

 

"I have to tell you something." Or maybe she's right. Luhan was being a sweetheart again. He was in China to pick up his relatives for their wedding which was about to happen in three days time. Yoona's lips curved up. There goes his cheesy lines again, she thought. So she decided to play dumb.

 

"What is it? It's already three in here."

 

"I know. I'm sorry." He apologized. There's something in his voice that she noticed but she just shrugged it off.

 

"No, it's okay. What is it?" She pressed on. He took a deep breath before speaking again, the silence was deafening.

 

"I can't do it." Nope, definitely not the cheesy lines she was expecting. Those four words made her world stop revolving for a minute, she regained her thoughts then spoke slowly.

 

"W-what do you mean you can't do it?" Her voice was starting to shake.

 

"This. The wedding. Everything." He spoke slowly, his voice sad.

 

"What happened there?" She suddenly asked. Maybe something happened in China that made him think this way. "Luhan, tell me the truth."

 

"Nothing, Yoong. Really. I just realized that I'm not ready yet. And believe me, Yoong, you're not ready as well. Think this through. And I still have a lot to prove to myself." He explained.

 

Her mind was full of jumbled thoughts, like a puzzle that was already perfect but fell and the pieces scattered again. No, this was not happening. Definitely not happening. Or is it? Maybe this was just wedding jitters?

 

"Luhan, you have to relax. Breathe. Sleep. Everything will be fine by tomorrow. We will be seeing again tomorrow and this? This never happened." She tried to explain to him but it was more like she was explaining to herself.

 

"Yoong-" He paused. "I've already made up my mind."

 

"Okay. Let's think again. I understand that you're not ready. So let's just postpone the wedding until you're-"

 

"I'm not coming back, Yoong." He cut her off. That was when her tears started to pour.

 

"What do you mean? Why are you doing this to me?" She was practically bawling her eyes out and he pitied her. She has a weak lungs so she must always remember to breathe slowly.
 

"Yoong, breathe."

 

"No. Why? Why are you doing this? Answer me!" She shouted, her tears never stopped flowing.

 

"I just can't imagine our future together anymore, Yoong. I'm so sorry. I really am."

 

There. Those words brought her into reality again. Luhan can't imagine their future together anymore. There will be no Luhan and Yoona anymore. No "us" for them. She bit her pillow, she couldn't take the pain.

 

"You were always the first for me, Luhan. You are my everything. Don't leave me please. I don't even care about the wedding anymore. Just please, please don't leave me." She begged. And when there was nothing but silence for a good five minutes, she got the message. "You know what? Forget it." Then she ended the call.

 


A/N: The first part of the flashback, it's just getting started. Thoughts, anyone? Comments and suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated. If you have questions, tweet me! I'm @tinkerbaee :)