Chapter 4

Serendipity

Yongguk chuckled warmly at Himchan's mannerism. He could get used to this. Hurriedly, he wiped clear the papers scattered atop his table and placed his blue dell on the surface. Yet again, Himchan took its spot on his crotch unceremoniously. 

 

"Excuse me," it said, settling itself comfortably on Yongguk who was sitting uncomfortably thanks to a certain fox. Just as he was about the type the key words in the search engine, it swatted his hands away with the words of, ' My name, I type' . That rude little . Though of course, the attempt ended with many frustrated groans as paws were not really used for typing. Himchan hanged its head low at the strand of gibberish words that came out and his efforts were in vain. 

 

"Here, let me help," Yongguk let out an amused chuckle. Cautiously, he secured the fox tightly with one hand and started pressing the keys with the other hand. If foxes could blush, Himchan would have past fifty shades of red. 

 

Himchan, the grey fox was beautiful. Himchan, the young man, was more. The man all over the news, with a family waiting for his return and wealth yearning to be spent. He was hope, youth and stupid decisions, the polar opposite of Yongguk. Sighing, Yongguk shut his monitor down to find the small fox looking at him earnestly with gleaming, glossy eyes. 

 

"Yeah?" He muttered. 

 

"Compliment me!" Its eyes got even shinier, if that was possible. 

 

"No." 

                       

                                               ~*~*~

 

The next morning, Yongguk felt the deja vu as families of birds joined wings to sing merry songs of spring. Heck, there were even two brave ones perched on his bedroom window, warbling joyously. It was a cliché Disney movie all over again. Suddenly, he thought of a little fox living with him and of the tale of the Beauty and the Beast. He quickly shooed away the thought as soon as it came, he would never be a princess. Puffing his cheeks in annoyance, he turned his head and met a pair of curious eyes. Apparently, the sly fox decided that it would be fun to creep up on him and surprise him. 

 

"." Yongguk somehow managed to grab his poor soul back. 

 

"It's good morning, Guk. GOOD MORNING~ There there, say it with me. Good morning." Himchan said as it studied him from head to toe. Yongguk ignored the mischievous behavior once again and headed to the kitchen to fix breakfast. Then, they sat together to eat. Ew, fox fur. Ew, so much maple syrup. Yongguk judged as he chowed down on the blueberry pancakes. 

 

At work, Yongguk found himself thinking about Himchan more than he should, his chest tightening in a weird way as he thought of how lonely the fox would be without him. 'More like the other way round' his brain said thoughtfully. 'Oh, shut up' he refused to agree. Back at home, Himchan did its work on Yongguk's tablet, painfully guiding the stylus over the interactive screen. The rest of its evening was spent entertaining itself by dancing along to 'what does the fox say' and many other amusing pop songs. 

 

The moment Yongguk stepped foot into his house, he was greeted with an overly animated Himchan. 

 

"What does the fox say. What does the fox say. What does the fox say." Yongguk felt the uncontrollable urge to grab its nape and dump it into the garbage bin. Just as he was about to step into the bathroom, "I need to bathe, too!". Was it serious? After a long moment of puppy, or should he say foxy, eyes given by the fox, he reluctantly agreed to shower together. However, he worn his boxers, earning a 'sissy' from the fox since he was not ready to expose his manhood yet. Thank you very much. 

 

Himchan liked to sing in the shower, Yongguk observed as it raised its left forearm, trying to wash it and then the right, humming all the way. "Scratch my back, please." Bitterly following all its requests, Yongguk grumbled, "Are you done soon?" 

 

"Huh? I want to scratch your back, too." After a few minutes wasted arguing, it managed to convince him once more with its life story and he ended up getting his back massaged by the elated fox. 

                                 

                                                        ~*~*~

 

The next few consecutive days, Yongguk woke up with Himchan in the weirdest sleeping positions. Its favorite spot being his face. The fox just came to him wherever its bed was. Some days, he took the persistent fox to his work while others, it would stay at home, waiting for his return.  Gradually, the fox grown on him, an important aspect to change his boring routine. The encounter with it, he would like to call it a serendipity.