Chapter 3

Serendipity

Morning were never the most pleasant things. Especially if you woke up with a mouthful of fur. The very first thing Yongguk saw or more like did not see was well, nothing. An eerie darkness greeted him the moment he cracked an eye open lazily. However, he lost all the he could give, so he did not. His expertise hands reached to shut the alarm, then led his hands to his face. He wanted to check if his eyes were missing. Really, he had seen them in movies, so he would not be surprised. Unexpectedly, he grabbed a lump of soft fur. He was startled. A bullet train of a million thoughts raced through his head. Did his facial hair go wild and covered his entire face? That moment, he regretted not shaving it for a whole week. Just when he was about to call his work to take a day off, too much thinking stressing him out, his facial hair moved. It ticklishly went down to his neck and off him. Memories of the night before came rushing in and he finally remembered about a certain guest he had took in. 

 

                                                               ~*~*~

 

The grey fox deemed Yongguk's neck comfy and climbed onto him right after he came out of the shower. Yongguk made no effort to remove the creature as he was not keen to find out what would happen if he angered it.  

 

"YONGGUK HYUNG! GOOD MORNING!" Jongup greeted him, as lively as he always were. "Holy nuggets! Are you really wearing a scarf? I am melting here, man." He dramatically fanned himself. 

 

Yes. Yes, Yongguk ended up bringing the fox to work. Since the ball of fur simply refused to untangle itself, he had no choice but to bring it along with him. He did not mind though, maybe he might even be able to play with it if it was not too angry. Bouncing to his cubicle, he fully ignored his few colleagues' are-you-okay looks. Moreover, he was not going to deny that he was ecstatic to feel the new kind of warmth. With an unexplainable enthusiasm he carried out his tasks with a smile on his lips, a spring in his step and a fox on his neck. 

 

Soon after, the fox stirred, nuzzling his black snout softly against a sensitive spot. His body tensed up. The fox leapt down onto the desk and sashayed its way over until it was face to face with the human. Then, it fixed its gaze upon him, trapping him the deep murky waters of his hooded, cocoa eyes. Suddenly, it made a low rumbling sound, like an attempt to clear its throat. 

 

"Human," the fox seethed, never once breaking the eye contact. 

 

"Fox." Yongguk answered back blankly. 20 years of schooling gone to waste as his brain failed to form any legit words though it is understood that one does not simply strike a conversation with a speaking fox that easily. 

 

The fox stretched, making a low purring sound. Its dark eyes shut as the death glare was replaced with an adorable yawn. Hallucination. Yongguk was sure he was hallucinating. After all, he could not comprehend any other reason why he would hear a fox speak. Smiling at the now napping fox curled up beside his left hand, Yongguk got to work and soon forgot about the incident. 

 

Much later, the usually grumpy man skipped back home, humming a tune contentedly. Joy! What great luck he had. He got off work at 7pm and the little fox was really endearing, snuggling against him every now and then. Therefore, he decided to let the creature stay for a while longer. 

 

                                                                                               ~*~*~

"Human, go make me dinner." The fox spoke yet again, though with less menace this time. It scowled when it received no reply. 

 

"Did you-did you just talk?" The human stared in awe, actions frozen in mid-air. 

 

"Wow, you are really stupid." The fox stated as it sprang to snatch the can of tuna in Yongguk's hands. 

 

Yongguk have not heard an insult in quite a while and he decided that he did not like it. Furthermore, he was definitely not the nicest person in the world. 

 

"Out." If that tiny guest decided to be rude, then it shall not stay. 

 

Abruptly, his subject of agitation, strutted towards him and next, plopped itself down onto his lap. 

 

"Wha.." He was rendered speechless. 

 

"...I am...sorry." It muttered. Did he catch that right? The proud rude thing apologising? 

 

"Look, I am really grateful that you took me in. I don’t know, okay. I don't know what happened. On the morning of the day you found me, I suddenly turned from a handsome male to an adorable fox." It said with his lower lip stuck out in a small pout. Yongguk decided not to comment on the self-praise. Then, it looked at the human sincerely, its cocoa eyes starring hard into the human's dark chocolate ones. It had a way to guilt trip him well. 

 

"Guk." It had a deep voice of a trucker, a smooth, rich and y one. 

 

"How did you find out my name?" 

 

"Didn't the boy at work call you Yongguk?" 

 

"Then, call me Yongguk!" 

 

"No." 

 

"You littl..." 

 

"Himchan. My name's Himchan." Yongguk did not reply. 

 

So, the fox giggled at his stubborness. " Hey, find me on the internet!" 

 

"Why? I don't want to." To attract his attention, Himchan started making a typing gesture with its tiny paws and funny 'click-clack' sounds. Unable to resist the funniness, Yongguk laughed and said 'alright'. He actually did want to find out how Himchan looked like.