Wilted Flower Petals

Renditions (Sin Cara)

His name was once Fourth Brother, but now he simply referred to himself as Sungsoo.

Memories as his days as an actor resurface often. He recalled the young boy who barely turned into a young adults, who was absent minded and rarely put thought into anything. Once a talkative kid, he was bounded by the trauma of Sunghyun’s passing, they all were, but he took a huge hit, nearly reshaping his personality completely.

They are near the seaside this time and stay in a run down theatre that no one bothers with. Before practice, Sungmin heads outside to the beach where the other brothers played, but refused to tread into the water. And when they look up, they see him carefully studying a young bird perched on the rock.

And for a while, he sees that Sungmin grows attached to the animal who pays its visits each day. He goes out to find it and the bird answers back. It takes time for the bird to trust him, but soon he sits on Sungmin’s extended hand.

Then one day the bird is nowhere to be seen, and Sungmin is hesitant to head into the sand to find him. He asked him why, but the boy refuses to answer.

Then on their way back, Sungmin’s eyes happen on the huge clutter of rocks, and spots the bird. Sungsoo feels the boy bury his face into his stomach, covering his face as the older brother looks and sees the bird was no longer alive.

It didn’t matter in which shape or form, Sungmin was afraid of death.

-

The following roles were played by the seven brothers during that day’s play.
 

The Merchant
The Merchant’s Apprentice
The Emperor
The Emperor’s Concubine
The Emperor’s Aide
The Governor
The Student

 


“Sir?”

The merchant turns around, and is surprised to be approached by a young woman who takes off her veil. She puts down her payment into his hand.

“The play isn’t over, you can make your bid then.” The merchant mentioned, but curiously lifted the hefty bag and checked inside. He paused as he estimated the amount and gave a curt nod in silence, the maidservant smiled.

“Thank you.”

And to the chagrin of his fans, the actor who portrayed the emperor’s concubine is taken once again.

Sungmin isn’t usually surprised when Uncle comes to tell him which patron buys him for the night, but his shoulders tense when he hears that it’s Lord Donghae once again. Uncle on the other hand is overjoyed at the news.

“Whatever charm you have on that lord, keep at it but don’t overwhelm him. Last I need is for him to tire of you.” Uncle said coyly.

Sungmin just remained silent as his nerves got the best of him. For a while, that lord had not requested him and that relieved the actor, but it appeared his interest returned. He turned to leave when he felt Uncle roughly grab his wrist.

“Not yet,” Uncle interjected. Sungmin curled his fist at his repulsive touch, Uncle barely noticed. “My merchant informed me that there were two high bids for you tonight, and decided on them both.”

Sungmin widened eyes. “What? But Uncle-”

“I agreed on it.” Uncle stated and that leaves the actor in a stammer. Uncle went on, “If that Lord Donghae realizes he has competition for you, there’ll be a heftier offer next time.”

Sungmin recoiled, then he’d be gone most of the night. He attempted at a thin lie, “I– but Lord Donghae will be upset if I don’t leave the moment the play’s over.”

“You can handle two visits this night. I doubt it will be long. Your patrons are growing restless with how many nights you’ve been away. Your other patrons’s a government official as well, we can’t afford to make him angrier.”

“Uncle, I–”

“Fine, fine,” Uncle relented rather quickly to Sungmin’s surprise. Then Uncle gives a sly crooked smile, “...Then let me get Sixth.” His uncle bemused aloud as he turned to leave, saying loudly, “I’m sure the official will just be as happy with a fresh face–”

Sungmin stepped in front of him.

“No. I’m capable.”

His uncle smiled and nodded approvingly, and patted the actor’s face. “Sometimes Sungmin, you’re too rash. Why fight? It’s as if you want to suffer Hyesung’s fate.”

Sungmin remained stiff to Uncle’s laugh as he leaves him there, the young man holds a hand over his chest, as if to cover the gaping hole within his chest.

“The more you fight it, you’ll find yourself just as he was, left for dead.”

-

Dana and Jimin walk down the steps when they hear the guards let in their guest. “It’s rather late,” Jimin commented as she held an oil lamp, Dana waited as the actor came into the moonlight.

“He’s walking oddly,” Dana mentioned quietly and Jimin peered above to gain a closer look, but the actor was soon approaching.

And as the light casted on his face, Sungmin lowered his face but they had already seen. He bowed as they had. The actor was disheveled, there was an attempt to straighten his clothes, and the paint on his face was left smeared, revealing bits of his face.

The pair of maidservants politely say nothing, and merely guide him.

Sungmin looked as they walked up the steps and past Lord Donghae’s bedroom and into the next room, and yet there appeared to be no sign of him still.

“Is his lord upset with me?” Sungmin asked Jimin as Dana left first, he must've known about his prior visit.

She shook her head, “In fact, my lord’s health has improved today. He is handling some last minute matters, he will be here shortly.” She observed the actor as she lit the lamp for the room, “I could have tea prepared if you’d prefer it?”

“No, thank you.”

She soon left to tend to others matters and closed the doors. He winced and leaned forward, the glossy surface reflects back at him and he sees just how unkempt he looks. With white smudges left on his cheek and forehead, stretched lines of black near his eyes and the now soft red on his lips. His earlier patron had been upset with Sungmin’s constant absence and took it too far.

He barely looked like his character.

“Then aren’t I here as just myself?” Without it fully covering his face, he felt incomplete, vulnerable.

He pulled back from his reflection and tried to keep still, but remaining upright made him flinch. He took a deep breath and relaxed and tried to take his mind off his pain. He looked about until his eyes round to his right at the sole painting hung on the wall, his gaze lingering on the soft clusters of hydrangea.

The panelled doors slide open across from him and he looked straight ahead. The faint light reflected off Dana’s warm smile, she lowered her head and informed him, “His lord wants you to enter his room.”

The actor hid his reservations and walked towards the lighted room. He obeyed and enters without a sign of hesitation to the attached room. Inside, he begun to panic.

It felt akin to a demon luring him in to be devoured.

Dana closed the panelled doors behind him and Sungmin kept his gaze rooted to the floor.

He then heard footsteps and looks to his right, behind the red curtain he caught the glimpse of a man whose back was faced towards him. He peered and saw pages placed on the table. The man then turned his way.

Sungmin’s eyes returned to the floor and he hears the footsteps walk closer, his eyes soon spot dark blue robes trailing the floor, “I am Oh Soomin, the emperor’s concubine. Do I undress?”

There’s a long, tense silence, and Sungmin wasn’t sure if he had done something wrong.

The masked lord then gestured to his bed and Sungmin heeded his hand, approaching the bed first and sat on the edge. The lord, however, didn’t follow and remained at his distance.

“Rest,” His lord ordered.

Sungmin stared blankly as Donghae returned to his desk. It was an unusual command, but a command nonetheless. Sungmin gradually lifted his legs and he fully occupied the bed.

Even as he laid down, the lord showed no sign of joining him. Sungmin’s eyes gradually drift to the man, whose back he could see.

Without seeing his mask, the man appeared like any other person, his eyes drift to his thick hair and trailed to his broad shoulders. The actor buried his face into the pillow.

In the stranger’s bed, Sungmin finds trouble sleeping, yet to the comfort of the calm wind outside and the brush of pages on the table, the troubling thoughts diminish and faded memories overflow.

-

Uncle had always use the character ‘Sung’ in each name, not even the eldest knew why, but it was simply tradition.

When Hyesung and Sungmin first arrived to Uncle, he boasted that it was a sign. The fact that they both had the character in their names already, he felt heaven was looking proudly on him. Sungmin felt heaven was rather cruel then. Still, his brother accepted the conditions of entering the troupe.

Most of his memories were of his tenure within the group, growing up and looking to his brothers for guidance and care as one of the youngest at the time. His own blood brother was gone for most hours of the night, leaving him to their care.

It was likely why he recalled their faces, even those that had come and gone, than Hyesung.

It was a painful thing to admit that with every year, his fragile memories were leaving him bit by bit. As his only blood relative, he felt ashamed to admit he struggled to recall much anymore.

He vaguely recalled his brother often held his hand wherever they went. His brother had once handed him the cloth that contained their family crest, claiming that although they may have lost their good fortune, it’d likely return one day.

For Hyesung, the cloth was proof that things were once better, and may soon be.

Hyesung never had the chance to. One night he was requested, a jealous patron found him leaving another patron’s house before he could head home. News spread quickly the following morning when they discover Hyesung by the roadside, left for dead.

Uncle mourned his profits as his brothers tried to comfort Sungmin. He was certain Hyesung wasn’t close with the others, always keeping them at a distance, but none of them badmouthed his name. The elder brothers comforted him with stories, filling in the gaps in his fragile memory before they waned, but they only knew so much from a man who kept to himself.

Yesung and Second only recalled so much of Hyesung either, and both looked guilty the one time Sungmin asks them the type of man he was. He soon stops asking.

And as of late, he couldn’t even recall his brother’s face.

He glances at his lord’s figure and it helps to give him peace of mind, and for once, the actor was grateful for his presence.

Somehow, he manages to do as Donghae commands, and rests.

-

When Sungmin woke to, the sun hadn’t yet risen. He hurried to sit up and looked above, he saw no sign of Donghae.

Dana looked behind, carrying a basket of food as Sungmin stood behind her within the courtyard. “You appear to be feeling better.”

“I–I am,” Sungmin replied, it was easier to move now. “I’m fine now, thank you.”

Dana smiled when Sungmin heard his name called and turned around, Jimin rushed to his side and extended something towards him. In her outstretched hands was a small, dark green glass container.

“It’s a remedy for the body,” Jimin explained.

“...Thank you,” he stammers.

From the corner of his eye, he sees a hint of colored robes disappear behind the wooden walls of the manor. A part of him wanted to ask why the Lord wouldn’t hand it over himself, but he decides not to press.

“His Lord is very kind.” Sungmin complimented with his voice loud enough that his voice should reach the walls.

He stared at the green bowl as he left, “He isn’t as he appears,” he murmured and tucked the bowl safely in his pocket when he paused.

He blinked, wilted flower petals were stuck to his robes.

-

The festival was a colorful display that overwhelmed the town, filling its stalls with cooked food, painted masks and toys, a constant movement of people as they shuffle to each brand of entertainment from the street performers to its established singers.

They could hear the clamor from the festivities beginning for the day as Fifth checked outside to gain a peek of it. He hopped and hopped but could see only the building’s in the distance covered in decoration, he nearly fell forward as he slipped on something and looked down. A piece of paper was crumpled beneath his shoe and he lifted it up.

“H–han.” He stuttered, trying to sound out each syllable. “D–...Tae… W–”

The paper was snapped from his hands and Fifth looked up, Uncle stood angrily above him as Fifth bowed to the ground.

“Thief! Trying to take my money?”

“I–I just found it.”

Uncle huffed, “Someone like you isn’t allowed to touch this.”

Fifth lowered his head as Uncle stuffed the papers proudly in his pocket and left.

Yesung soon stepped out at the commotion, “Are you alright?”

Fifth nodded and stood up, smiling civilly, “he’s gone at least.”

“Then can we go?” Seventh asked eagerly, and the brothers file themselves out of the house as they look to First for permission.

Yesung stared at their excited expressions and rolled his eyes as he nodded once, earning tight embraces in return.

-

Uncle is too caught up in the joy of it all, and thankfully leaves the brothers be for this night. He tilts another bottle into his lips as he enjoyed the paid chorus of women around him as he’s taken into the next house to spend his wealth.

The moment he stepped in and disappeared from the crowd, a carriage pulled through.

Yesung scan the crowd carefully, pacing himself as he turned about and studied every face. He walked backwards when he hears a horses’s neighs and turned around, barely avoiding the carriage in front of him.

“Pardon me,” he excuses as he and the other townspeople walk to avoid it. He paused the moment his eyes spotted the sweet tofu stall in the distance and smiled in relief, “Haksung!”

Second spoke comfortably with the maiden standing behind it, the two exchanging smiles when he hears his name called in the distance. He turned about and faced his eldest brother.

“I–I’m sorry, I must have lost track of the time.” Second realized.

“It’s fine,” Yesung replied.

The maiden began to pour into a set of bowls, “Would you care for sweet tofu?”

“We’re fine.”

The maiden placed the bowls into their hands and gives a playful smile, “Hurry before my mother sees.”

The two thank her and leave with their food, Yesung glanced back at the maiden and faced his brother. “She appears to like you.”

Second lowered his head bashfully. “...I-I believe so, she’s rather kind, always giving me a bowl whenever I come by.”

“Does she know what you are?”

Second returned a dry smile, “No one knows who we are without our costumes and make-up, thankfully. We can even walk through town without harassment.”

His dejection grows as he cradled the warm bowl, and Yesung waits as Second soon confides.

“I can’t afford her dowry. Even if we could run away, by what means could I care for her? I’m not like Jisung who fell for a wealthy woman who managed with a dowry. Neither like Sungsoo’s lover who took him in and had the means to, Uncle couldn’t fight to bring him back.”

“Especially since that lover was that town’s governor, we never had to uproot so quickly.” Yesung smiles. Even if it meant leaving that comfortable town, seeing that look on Uncle’s face made up for it.

“I don’t believe I’ll be as lucky.” Second murmured.

“...We’ll simply have to see, of course there are no promises.”

Second then looked his way, “I wish sometimes that’d you encourage Kyuhyun’s affection... You’ve rejected more than enough favor from those who genuinely cared for you, who wished to take you away from all this.”

“I don’t feel anything for any of them.” Yesung simply explained.

“For Kyuhyun you do, and please First Brother, you may lie to the others, but we’ve known each other for years now. Sungmin already does, spare me that."

Yesung falls silent.

“He has the means to care for you.”

Yesung looked reflective when the pair pause at the scene in front of them. Second looked in the same direction and saw their brothers circling around Kyuhyun who showed them some ill-fated tricks with a ball he has.

Without their make-up or masks, they were less than ordinary folk, but Kyuhyun bothered with them anyhow.

“...He’s too young, he’s barely a man.”

“He’s young in thought,” Second corrected. “He doesn’t understand things outside his own privileges he was raised with, but he’s open to learn.”

Yesung turned away and continued with Second in tow.

“The stars are rather bright tonight,” Yesung spoke calmly as his attention falls to a distant stall. “I see Third leading them away, let’s hurry before we lose them again.” Haksung looked despondently at Yesung who helps him through the crowd.

After all that Yesung’s done for them, he deserved some happiness too.

Kyuhyun looked up and beamed as the two reconnect with the group. “Finally,” he beamed.

Yesung eyed the ball in Seventh's hands to which the younger answered excitedly, “He gave it to us to play with.”

“Since we’re all still learning, I figured we’d play with no rules.” Kyuhyun exclaimed. “That and luckily, I’m the worst player there is, so I won’t feel upstaged if one of you decides to be a prodigy.”

“I don’t think it’s wise to play so close to everyone,” Sungmin suggested, they were still amongst the thick crowds.

“True,” Kyuhyun grinned. He’s caught off-guard when Seventh then returns to the ball to him, and sees his disappointment. “N-no, we can still play, it’ll just have to be farther out.”

Seventh and Sixth look to the eldest for his approval. Yesung then gave a simple nod.

The group of men walk down the spacious part of town where the festivities kept away. His brothers each take a turn with the ball as Kyuhyun tried to keep pace but miserably failed to.

He nearly fell as he bumped into someone behind him and fell on the ground, or the person behind him rather did, bracing most of the fall.

“I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun apologized and looked behind him, and saw Yesung grimaced as he tried to sit up.

“Are you alright?”

“No.”

Yesung froze, “What’s wrong?”

Kyuhyun dramatically flailed his arms, increasing his weight on him. “I feel faint.”

The actor leered. “You’re fine,” Yesung decided and shoved him off with all his strength, only to see the younger man crashed onto the ground face first.

Kyuhyun managed to sit up on his knees as he cradled his face, Yesung quickly checked him, “Sorry, are you alright?”

Yesung peered up as Kyuhyun kept his eyes hidden. He went to lift his bangs to check for any cuts when the actor caught sight of his knowing smile he failed to hide. Yesung withdrew his hand and huffed as he stood up. “Definitely fine,” he declared.

Kyuhyun remained in good spirits as he straightened up from the ground, and Yesung curiously asked him, “Why are you smiling?”

He wanted to say it was because that was likely the first time Yesung actually showed concern for him, instead of just plain annoyance. He was genuinely happy despite the small changes made.

And yet if he admitted such things, Yesung would likely keep his distance. “It’s a festival, why shouldn’t I be happy?”

“I suppose.” Yesung crossed his arms, “Why aren’t you with your family?”

Kyuhyun paced the ground as they kept watch of the others, “They do their usual party at home, it’s the same guests every year.” He faced him, “I decided I’d prefer a different company this time around.”

“You’re an odd one.”

Kyuhyun chuckled as he folded his hands behind him, “So I hear.”

The game continues with no count of points, especially as they lose track. Sungmin leaned against the tree as they let the brothers play amongst themselves, and soon Third tosses it so high, it flies towards the observing pair.

Yesung just barely manages to catch the ball with the tips of his fingers, and the brothers wait expectantly as Yesung now stared blankly at the ball.

The actor then handed it over towards Kyuhyun and the younger man furrowed his brow, “Throw it.”

“I’m not good at these sort of games.”

“And you claim I’m the odd one,” Kyuhyun quickly reached for the ball. “No one is at first, but it’s fun, this one even bounces pretty high.” Then with all his strength, slammed it onto the floor right in front of him.

The pair of servants in a frenzy finally happened upon the space and spot their young master, “Young Master–” they froze when the ball rose quickly and slammed itself against Kyuhyun’s face.

The servants yell, “Young Master!” And run to his side to check his face, Kyuhyun cringed and wave them away in annoyance and shouldered off their worried hands. He peeked through the gaps between his fingers and see the others snickering behind their robes and hands, even Sungmin gave an amused smile behind his robe.

Kyuhyun rubbed his sore face and slapped away his servants hands from touching it, when he side-eyed Yesung who covered his mouth.

And as Yesung lowered his hand to turn his back on him, Kyuhyun caught side of his curved lips.

The servants exchange confused looks as Kyuhyun shared his own smile to himself.

“I suppose it’s worth it,” Kyuhyun uttered playfully, and returned to the ball to resume their game.

-

The woman walked through the thick crowds as she huddled towards the carriage and climb inside. The moment she settled into her chair, Dana lowered her green shawl.

“There’s nothing, my lord.” She gave, her lord gave no response. She studied his appearance as she adjusted the shawl about her shoulders. Her lord showed no signs of pain, and appeared rather well still, that physician's medicine appeared to be helping, temporarily at least.

“If you’re feeling well, my lord, we could venture out into town.”

“You have my permission to if you’d like.” He replied calmly.

Dana chuckled, “I never liked crowded places, I’m sure Jimin will be pleased though.” She peaked through the curtains and curiously looked about, “Oh my, it’s him.”

Donghae looked as Dana barely lifted the curtains and revealed a group in the distance, smiling and speaking privately amongst themselves.

“Without their costumes, they really are just ordinary men.”

Dana peered up and could see her lord’s neck craned in their direction. Even she could see Sungmin appeared well, his arm interlocked with his brother’s.

Once Donghae turned his head forward, Dana withdrew the curtains and the carriage takes off. “Are you certain, my lord? Your mask would be very fitting.”

“This mask draws too much attention,” Donghae dismissed.

As the carriage ride continued over the bumpy roads, Dana raised her gaze, “My lord, what if Kang Baeksoo has passed?”

Donghae paused, the thought likely crossed his mind before. “While possible, it’s unlikely.”

“Why is that?”

Donghae turned his head, his eyes surveying the black mountains that surrounded the city, and clenched his fist.

“The immoral always live, at the cost of everyone else.”

Dana was quiet as Donghae looked away, "Have the flowers in the garden bloomed yet?"

"Just about," Dana smiled.

"I will wait then, once they bloom fully, I'll take them to show her."

Dana's smile grew softer, "I'm sure your daughter will be pleased with anything you bring her."

-

Kyuhyun is likely the most despondent of them all once the game is over. The brothers turn to leave when Kyuhyun placed the ball into his servant’s hands, filled with determination as he gestured for the servants to stand as far away as possible, to which they reluctantly do.

Before the troupe left, Kyuhyun steps forward, “Yesung, may I speak to you for a moment?”

Kyuhyun isn’t sure if Yesung would even agree to his request. He cautiously looks up and sees Yesung speak to Second, gesturing them. Kyuhyun’s still too surprised even as Yesung stood waiting, facing the younger man.

Now that it came to the moment, he felt his determination sway, and his nerves begin to show. He cleared his throat, he didn’t want to waste this chance.

He quickly comes together and tries to say what he’s had in mind for a while now, “I know others ask this of you often, but... I’d–I’d like to have the privilege of meeting with you again. Not as just your fan either, as a... well,” he took a deep breath, “Myself.”

“You already make yourself at home,” Yesung reminded casually.

Kyuhyun gave a strained smile as he rubbed the back of his neck, “Well, yes. I guess what I’m asking more of, is if you’d... if you’d actually like to see me again?”

The actor studied the other’s attempt at a formal approach, at his deep stare, Kyuhyun shifts his eyes and feels a his nerves get the best of him. Yesung tilted his head, “Why are you changing your pursuit of me?”

“After the last time we spoke, I realized forcing myself on you wasn’t the way at all. The last thing I want is to be grouped together with your fans.” Kyuhyun murmured in a disgruntled manner. “If you said yes, I know I can continue seeing you, if you say no then... well, I’d still watch your plays anyhow, but just that.” He rationalizes weakly, rubbing the back of his head.

The actor was quietly stunned by the young man’s antics. Kyuhyun made it sound as if Yesung was above him in every way possible, when just by looking at their clothing, one could see that was not the case.

“You’re asking for a privilege to be with me?” Yesung repeats, his tone light-mannered, his lips shifted upwards.

Kyuhyun blinked, “Y–yes?”

Amused, the actor looks away. “You really are young in thought,” Yesung realized out loud.

Kyuhyun blinked as Yesung began to follow the others and thinks over their conversation as his servants come back behind him. Kyuhyun wasn’t sure if there was an answer given to him at all, and frowned after realizing that.

-