Signs of A Home

Renditions (Sin Cara)

Yesung is prepped on the wooden floors, eyes closed he drenched the small towel into the bowl of cold water and roughly wiped his face, white staining the cloth. He heard a knock on the side door and sighed, standing tall as he neared it and opened it and addressed rather coldly,

“You shouldn’t be here.”

There’s that egotistical smile he’s come to familiarize with. “As if you haven’t told me many times, but here I still am.” Kyuhyun said, lifting the worn cloth that he used to disguise his face. “At least let me sing my praises before you slam the door on me.”

Yesung is the least bit amused by the young man, a usual member of their audience.

“Yesung, it’s quite cold outside. It’s best to let him in.”

Yesung is visibly debating this suggestion, and soon left the door wide open in a huff. Kyuhyun greeted the more welcoming man.

“Amazing performance as always Sungmin.”

Sungmin bowed graciously. Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes at the indifferent actor, “Still leaving a visitor out there, I wonder if your fans realize how cruel you are.”

Yesung knelt back down on the ground, “Why not just speak your gratitudes after the performance’s over than wait out there then?”

“Because it’s difficult through Sungmin’s adoring fans, nearly impossible to reach the stage much less praise you.” Sungmin offered another bow at the off-handed compliment paired with a modest smile.

Yesung’s tone remained sharp. “Then you claim my popularity is overshadowed?”

“Rather, your fans are the type to be reserved, while his are overzealous.” Kyuhyun corrected in a haughty manner.

Yesung eyes Kyuhyun then met Sungmin’s who smiled back. When the doors closes after Kyuhyun feels satisfied enough with his visit, Sungmin knelt by the wooden wall by Yesung, he didn’t bother to change his clothes nor take off his make-up. “He’s charming.”

“In what way?” Yesung countered and Sungmin laughed. At his lingering smile, Yesung sat beside the younger man and reached for a spare cloth, helping Sungmin wipe the last of his make-up away.

“Thank you,” Sungmin smiled.

Yesung thinned his lips, dabbing the cloth with warmer water. “Sungmin, compared to my one insane fan, yours are much worse. Kyuhyun made light of that this night was no different than any other. You’ve been underperforming, and they’re still in awe of you.” Yesung realized bitterly, clutching his fingers as he swiped the final bit of white from Sungmin’s face, he then lowered the cloth. “My theory was wrong, I’m sorry.”

Sungmin gave a slanted look, “Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless.”

“...Seeing that Uncle hasn’t bothered you once, I really should have known.” Yesung chastised himself and roughly began to wipe his own face as punishment.

Sungmin took no part in his self-ridicule, and stared patiently with Yesung’s back turned to him. Once Yesung’s finished cleaning up and faced him, without their costumes and makeup, they were now simply two ordinary men.

“Let’s join dinner with the others.” Sungmin suggested and the two walk out of the backhouse of the theatre.

It’s a bit of distance between the theatre and their home, that of a wooden small house that looked as if it could barely stand. Inside was a small light that was enough to fill the room, the pair greet the five young men crowding around a table that’s half filled with food.

Yesung was the eldest, and therefore felt the most responsible of them all. By the time they’re prepared to sleep, he silently counted their shadows and saw that one was missing. It’s an easy guess who it may be.

When Sungmin returned hours later, he spotted Yesung waiting for him by that empty table.

Sungmin gave a soft smile, "Not yet asleep?”

Yesung just remained silent, he’s was in no mood to joke about. Sungmin lowered himself beside Yesung who looked through the broken wood of their temporary home.

“One day,” Yesung promised quietly. Sungmin glanced the eldest’s way. It was a promise he'd made a thousand times and sworn to, it still hasn’t been met.

One day they’ll be free.

-

“Now, this town is full of the rich. They enjoy their culture, and the more you dazzle them, the more they’ll give.” Uncle lectured them as they prepare their makeup and costumes. “There are even lords and magistrates, families of old money and new. Some people don’t like those who come to recent wealth, but who are we to be prejudiced to that?” Uncle mused.

The brothers don’t particularly listen, and Sungmin helped prepare Seventh who lifted his face as the rest continue their preparations.

“They’re all coming to watch your performance. Give them your best.” His words directed to Sungmin who looked his way, meeting his disdainful grin. His brothers are just as involved in the production, but Sungmin was this town’s favorite, and the likeliest to gain patrons.

And as they wait for their turns to the stage, the brothers begin to gossip among themselves.

“Do you think if we make enough, we can stay in this town?” The Seventh Brother asked, the youngest of their group.

“Hopefully, but we have to see.” Fifth mused. “We might gain more if we had a female lead, but Uncle never keeps one long enough. It’s probably for the best.” He fixed his costume’s sleeve and headed to the stage.

Sungmin leaned against the wall and waited, closing his eyes.

And when the Second Brother arrived, he and the others look reluctant to wake Sungmin from his brief nap. But as the drums sound in the background, Sungmin opened his eyes and gets up on cue. Though he’s on time, Uncle forcibly nudged him forward. They all knew their parts by heart, but Uncle always acted this way.

Second sighed and muttered, “As if anyone even complains that the female roles are played by men.”

And when the female impersonator graced the stage, the curious audience gives a second peek. Any undivided attention is more focused and inclined.

Whether his looks are hidden by a mask or not, whatever materials they have for a play at their disposal they use, it never matters the circumstances of each performance. His presence draws their attention, and those who linger for longer than they mean to, find that it’s difficult to forget him even after the play comes to an end. Uncle depended on that.

This town was different than the others they’ve travelled to, inhabited by clusters of wealthy lords and magistrates, the middle class whose sons received the best education in nearby schools and daughters who aimed to marry above their class. It was a town of almost assured success, and Uncle was eager to settle in.

Their first performance hardly drew a crowd, just like most towns, but it made Uncle uneasy even with the lack of patrons. Yet word of mouth spreads quickly, and soon they’ve become one of the more popular acts. Their performances ranging from masked or painted faces, from light comedies or satire to tragic romances. It didn’t matter which they went for, it was simply getting stronger.

Tonight, they all see a grinning Uncle which showed they must’ve made a fortune. He then pulled Sungmin aside from the rest who prepare to head to their home.

“Well done,” Uncle’s complimented to Sungmin’s blank expression. “My merchant tells me a Lord Donghae is your patron tonight, I hear he’s bought the huge house by the edge of town and settled in. Already stealing his heart, no?” Uncle’s confidence overflowed, his beady eyes round at the thought of his profits.

Sungmin made no reaction to the news, remembered the necessary details and walked a distance away until he arrived to their home. Uncle never slept in their quarters and barely visited their lowly home, preferring the taste of gisaeng houses and lavish hotels. Despite their circumstances, they preferred it that way.

Sungmin spotted Yesung’s seethed look. “There’s only so much of that gremlin I can take,” Yesung muttered as Sungmin sat beside him.

“Ignore him, it’s what I do.”

Yesung held their scraps, their dinner for the night and held it to eye level. Sungmin just reached for his own as Yesung scoffed. “If he didn’t bother with a hotel for one night, we may have decent food…” Yesung then bit into the stale bread and muttered,

“I’d rather slam this against his head.”

-

When Sungmin first arrived to the manor, it’s far from town, though it takes up much land. Sungmin sees a guard on either side of the doors and is unsure of how to approach. When he does touch the door, they don’t react, and eventually he stepped through.

The dirt grounds outside are replaced by green scenery and a stoned pathway that leads in many directions leading to different smaller buildings attached to the largest main house. It was quiet, if it were not for guards out front, he might’ve mistaken the manor to be abandoned. As he neared closer to the two story main house, he makes out a few waiting maidservants who open the doors at his arrival.

As the paneled doors slid open, Sungmin stepped inside a large room that’s left a pastel green. He’s been inside rooms like these before and he doesn’t bat an eye to the dressers and well-crafted furniture, filled and decorated with pottery and large paintings. There was a raised bed to the right beside some panels that likely led to another room. And to the left remained a wooden door. It was safe to guess that the landlord was made of wealth as his Uncle had hoped.

He then sat on the cushions in front of the table that held many dishes and kept his hands folded over his robes. His face was covered in freshly applied make-up, he came in as the character he portrayed in that day’s play, just as he does with each visit, and waited for the patron to enter.

Time passes, however, and for a while he’s alone. Until the paneled doors open from the right and rather than his patron, enter two more maidservants.

“His Lord is unwell, he cannot see to you today. He offers delicacies as his apology, please enjoy.” Dana smiled as Jimin lowered a tray.

“...Then am I permitted to leave?” Sungmin tentatively asked, the maidservants introduce the last drink on the table and raise their trays.

“It’d be best if you stayed for the night, it’d give my lord better peace of mind. He isn’t the sort to drive someone out because of inconveniences.”

The actor figured they’d get in trouble if he persisted. Nevertheless he let out a quiet sigh of relief, he wouldn’t have to deal with a patron tonight. Instead, the only thing he felt up to after his long walk was some rest. He waited until the maidservants leave him be, he laid down on the cushions and closed his eyes. Sleep is almost immediate.

During the middle of the night, with just two candles by the entranceway, the room was dark. To the left was a wooden compartment settled between two large paintings, one of ivy, the second of sword lilies.

And slowly as the moon held in the sky, the compartment’s door slid, creak by creak until it unveiled a small opening. With a knelt step, the candlelight reflected a shade of red.

And when Sungmin turns his head as he sleeps, the door swiftly closes.

-

Yesung is stirred awake by something, he quickly checked around through half-lidded eyes and spotted each of his brothers except for one. Sungmin’s absence he was accustomed to though, and Yesung then turned to another soft knock.

He walked between and over his sleeping brothers until he reached the door and opens it.

“Finally, I thought you might’ve been busy.”

“I was, sleeping.” Yesung corrected sharply.

“It’s such a beautiful night to waste with sleep,” Kyuhyun reasoned but the tired Yesung stepped outside, closing the door behind him. “This look of yours, I like it.” Kyuhyun complimented, peering at his exhaustive expression, it was rather endearing to the named spectator.

Yesung rubbed his eyes, “Is there a reason why you’re here?”

“Yes! I wan-” Kyuhyun was then shoved back with his palm to his chest.

“Keep your voice down, even if you choose to interrupt my sleep, don’t ruin theirs.” Yesung made his way around him until they’re a bit farther from their quarters.

“I wanted to give you my compliments, tonight’s performance was a bit weaker than your earlier ones, but you’re still quite a sight.” Kyuhyun smiled.

Yesung is quiet for a moment as he looked up at Kyuhyun’s curved eyes. “...That’s all you came here for?”

“It’s what I had in mind all night,” Kyuhyun proudly admitted. Yesung just becomes skeptic as he crossed his arms.

“Were you even paying attention to the play?”

“Are you really asking why I’m not as enraptured with Sungmin? He has enough eyes on him, I’m not that good with competition.” Kyuhyun rounded his eyes as he realized what he insinuated. “N-not to insult you of course-”

Yesung closed his sore eyes, “I’m sure.”

“It’s just difficult to look anywhere else but you once you’re on stage.” Kyuhyun boldly stated. All sense of fun disappears from his expression, and it becomes earnest, sweet.

The actor recognizes that look all too well and averted his gaze from him. He began to walk past him and towards the door.

“You know it’s true,” Kyuhyun interjected and turned around with the actor’s back still faced towards him. “No matter who’s on stage, no matter who I’m supposed to focus on, my eyes betray me.”

“You like my character.”

“I like you.” Kyuhyun corrected, and Yesung side-eyed the man. There wasn’t a hint of shame in his declaration.

“You shouldn’t bother.” Yesung tells him as he opened the door. “I’ll never give you false hope.” He warned and closed the door.

Kyuhyun smiled to the closed door nonetheless,

"I know, I'll just have hope."

-

Third Brother woke up and slowly crawled to the small table, blinking awake as he realized it’s Sungmin who’s up. On the table is fresh bread and peeled fruit, Sungmin cuts another piece and holds it out for Third Brother who gladly eats it.

“Leave enough for the others,” Sungmin murmured sleepily as he finished peeling the last fruit, leaving them on the table as Third tried to slow down and savor each bite. He reached for the second half and kept quiet as Sungmin sleeps on his shoulder.

The morning doesn’t start off so bad, because of their increasing sales, Uncle had decided to stay in the town.

They may actually have a home here.