Chapter 1

Ten Million, Cash

I saw something on tumblr that gave me this idea, so I thought, why not, an here it is.

 

  The sun was already high in the sky and beating relentlessly down on Nayoung. In an attempt to keep cool, she pulled her dark hair up into a high ponytail as she walked down the familiar road to the garage. She couldn’t wait to get her hands on the new cars Yongguk had told her about last night over a dinner of reheated chicken and chips.

  By the time she caught sight of the family garage, she was cursing herself for not listening to her older sister, Natasha, and wearing the light colored shirt instead of her favorite black one. Although it was baggy and sleeveless, it felt suffocating in the heat. Now sweating profusely, she finally crossed the threshold of the garage. Bang’s Auto Parts, commonly referred to as B.A.P. or fondly called the garage, was a big building with the customer service in the front and cars they managed to save to tinker with kept in the back. Unfortunately for Nayoung, the back wasn’t air conditioned. Entering the garage was torture. It was sweltering, the heat seemed to sit in the room and press down on her, even though the boys tried to air it out by leaving some of the large doors open. It did no good. She maneuvered her way around vehicles, machines, and tools to where they kept a mini fridge stocked with water for just this kind of day. Chugging it, she took a moment to survey the people around her. She spotted Yongguk under a car, working away at repairing something, trying to get it to run again. Though it was really their father who owned the place, it was Yongguk who loved it. She had to drag him away from here at night and would find him here at the crack of dawn. It had also become a place where the rest of their gang would hang out. She counted, Zelo, Daehyun, Youngjae, Himchan, and Jongup were all present, and shirtless, she noted.

  Lucky bastards. She was dying to take off her shirt.

  Well, all shirtless except for Zelo and Youngjae. Zelo was the baby of the group, a bit innocent and naïve and in love with strange pets, but the baby all the same, and Youngjae was self-conscious because he wasn’t as muscular as all the other guys. It made her feel a bit better to know she wasn’t the only one who couldn’t peel off another layer. She found that her best friend, Kyungmi, was absent though. Not a big surprise, since she had a bad habit of always being an hour behind schedule. She’d wander in at some point.

  It was Jongup who noticed her standing there.

  “Slacking off are you?” He asked, flashing a smile and wiping his hands on a rag. Nayoung grinned in return. 

  “I’m taking a well-deserved break, if you must know.”

  “Bull.” He threw the dirty rag at her. She caught it and tossed it back.

  “I’ll inform you that I walked all the way here, and I don’t have the liberty of taking my shirt off like you guys.”

  “Then you shouldn’t have worn black.” She scowled at him as he snatched up her water and finished it off in one gulp.

  “That was mine.”

  “Whoops.” He grinned cheekily at her and danced out of reach when she made to punch him. Growing up, she and Jongup had always been close, and after Kyungmi, he was her best friend.

  “Hi Noona.” Zelo shuffled over and reached for water as well.

  “Hi Zelo. How’s it going?” She had to look up at him now. In the last year he’d had a major growth spurt and now towered over her. She wasn’t happy about it. She had to really reach to smack his head now when she needed to.

   “Hey Noona, can you hold this?” 

  “What is it?” Nayoung asked warily. She was not up to another centipede in need of babysitting. Not today. Zelo extended his hand, fist closed. “I don’t trust you one bit, maknae.” She said. But she still extended her hand, palm up. Surprisingly, Zelo didn’t have anything in his hand, he just wrapped his around her’s.

  She looked at him, confused. “I don’t get it.”

  Zelo laughed. “It actually worked!” He turned around, his hand still clasped on to Nayoung’s. “Hyung, Hyung you were right! It actually works!” He seemed to have forgotten his grip on her hand. A head popped up from behind the hood of a really beaten up car. Himchan.

  “I told you it would.” He said simply. “Oh hey Nayoung.” He called out, waving a screwdriver at her. She waved back with her unoccupied hand. “Hey Himchan. That’s sure a piece of work, even for this place. Where’d you get it?” she asked, gesturing toward the car he was working on.

  “Oh this? It’s a real beauty isn’t it? Got her from a wreck for free. Just wait ‘till I get her up and running again. He patted the side and had to yank his hand away as the hood fell shut.”

  She laughed, gave him a look and said, “Yeah, right.”

  “I’m hurt by how little faith you have Nayoung.”

  “Noona,” Zelo said, bringing her attention back to him. Her palm was starting to sweat because he still hadn’t released her. “I found the biggest spider in that car over there, it was like-“

  “Alright I think that’s enough.” It was Jongup. He pried Zelo’s hand off of her’s. “Time to stop slacking, maknae, and get back to work.

  “It’s not even work though! I’m not getting paid to be here, I can slack all I want, the car is my project.” He protested. He didn’t like to listen to Jongup since he was close with him. He made to grab Nayoung’s hand again, but Jongup intercepted, grabbing his wrist and pulling him back to his workstation. “That may be, but maybe Nayoung would like to get some work done without you hanging all over her.

  Nayoung smiled. It was quite funny to watch Zelo try to imitate his playboy hyung, Himchan’s ways. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a flash of pink. Kyungmi, chatting with Youngjae. No, she thought. Not chatting, flirting. It was adorable to watch them. They had been friends for years, but a few weeks ago Kyungmi had told her about her crush on Youngjae, and Nayoung had been happy to reassure her that her feelings were mutual. She’d found it hard to miss all the long looks and not so subtle glances Youngjae had been giving her.

  Deciding that Jongup was right, Nayoung snatched another bottle of water and made her way over to Yongguk. He was sweaty and dirty from grease. She crinkled her nose at the smell coming off of him.

  “You smell disgusting.”

  “You look disgusting.” Her big brother shot back, not even bothering to look up from his work.

  “Is that why you didn’t come greet me when I got here?”

  “I didn’t know you were here before you started talking.” How like him, so caught up in work he didn’t notice what when on anywhere else in the garage.

  “Well I am so are you going to show me the new cars or am I supposed to look for them? They shouldn’t be hard to find.” Finally Yongguk looked up, showing off his gummy smile.

  “Oh yeah, follow me.” He wiped his hands on a rag too dirty to do much good, and led her out of the garage to the side of the building. Two white sheets covered what she could only assume were the cars.

  “Tada!” Yongguk whipped the sheets off and Nayoung stood in awe of the new cars. Sure they looked like hell. They were rusted and missing rims, mirrors, windows, and god knows what they were missing under the hood but in her eyes they were beautiful. She ran up the first one.

  “Is this really a 1969 Dodge Charger? And a 1961 Jaguar E-Type? Oh my God, Yongguk! Where the hell did you get these? She continued to examine the cars. She would be getting her hands on the Charger for sure, there would be no argument. She opened the hood. Oh yeah. This would be a project.

  “You know Siwon. He always finds these gems at auctions.” Ah yes, Siwon. He was one of their most valuable customers. He was a rich guy with too much time on his hands. His hobby was too find beautiful, but for the most part unrepairable cars, buy them cheap and hand them over to Yongguk. Yongguk would get them fixed up and looking like new, working miracles on cars that should have been scrap metal, then he would give it back to Siwon to sell again for an enormous price.

  “I want the Charger.”

  Yongguk laughed. “It’s all yours.”

  “What are you – oh man is that a jaguar?” It was Daehyun who appeared from around the corner. Nayoung shyly straightened her hair, suddenly worried about the sweat on her forehead. She had a tiny insignificant crush on Daehyun. Well she couldn’t ignore how cute his Busan accent was! Or how at the moment his abs were on full display. Not that she was really looking, but…

  Zelo’s head appeared. “Jaguar?” Then the rest of him along with all the others spilled out of the garage.

  “Wow. I can’t wait to get my hands on this.” Himchan said, running his hand over the Charger. Nayoung slapped his hand away.

  “Too bad, I’ve got dibs.”

  “Not fair!”

  “It is too fair! You got dibs last time!”

  “But I’ve never gotten to work on a Charger before! At least let me lend you a hand.”

  “Uh uh Himchan. I’ve already decided to let Kyungmi help me.” She smiled over at her best friend who grinned in return.

  After a fair amount of debate and a lot of shouting, it was decided that Youngjae could have the Jaguar since the others all had projects they had yet to finish, and Yongguk wouldn’t let them abandon them.

  There was a quite a bit of grumbling as they towed the cars into the garage. Especially from Himchan. Nayoung poked Kyungmi as they set up their work station.

  “If I’d known Youngjae would win the car I would have never said you were helping me.”

  “Why not?” Kyungmi was a little slow sometimes, more of a day dreamer who got caught up in her own head. It was most likely to be when she was concentrating on something. Like now when she was setting up an inventory of the condition of the car and what they already had on hand and what they would need to order.

  “Because then you could have been over there. Helping Youngjae, who I’m sure you noticed, is looking mighty fine in that grey wife beater.” Kyungmi blushed.

  “Or maybe you want me to help Youngjae so you can have a certain shirtless Busan boy help you.” She replied flippantly, twirling a pen. Nayoung sighed.

  “Yes wouldn’t that be nice. Don’t look now but Youngjae’s looking over here.” Kyungmi dropped her pen.
 

  They spent the next few hours compiling the list. It was a pretty extensive on the side of what they would need.

  “Here,” Nayoung handed the list to Yongguk. “Have Siwon order these for us and we’ll have that Charger running like it’s new.

  “Sure. Wow, are you sure we need all this?” He looked at her suspiciously.

  “Well I suppose I added a couple things to the list that we like to have on hand here. He’s buying right? It’ll save us trouble down the road, it’ll save him trouble too. Time is money right?” She explained. Hey if the rich guy was going to buy he might as well buy for his future investments too right. All she’d added was the standard things most of the cars Siwon gave them needed. That way they wouldn’t have to wait two weeks the next time they needed something for a car he gave them.

 Yongguk still looked a little wary. “It’s called thinking ahead.”

 “I’ll look it over.” He turned back to his car.

  Nayoung sighed. “Okay, you do that.”

  She was just returning to the workstation to complain to Kyungmi about getting something to eat, when Jongup intercepted her.

  “Hey Jongup.”

  “Hey, want to go grab a bite to eat?”

  “You must have read my mind. Let’s go.” She didn’t need to be asked twice. Then she stopped.

  “What about everyone else?”

  “Ah, yeah I guess they’re probably hungry too huh?” He asked. She chuckled, sometimes Jongup could be forgetful.

  “You’re such a ditz!”  She teased, then turned back around. “Hey!” She had to yell to be heard over the blasting music and general noise of the garage. “Anyone want to eat?”

  “Yes, food!” came from Zelo’s direction. The boys pulled on tank tops and followed her and Jongup out the door. Yongguk joined them a few minutes after shutting the doors.

  “It will be like the center of hell in there when we get back.” Youngjae complained.

  “We’ve got valuable things in there, which we’d all like to still be there when we get back.” Yongguk countered.

 It wasn’t that this was a high crime area, where you couldn’t walk alone at night, but recently there had been an increase in gang activity and Yongguk always erred on the side of caution.

͒͒͒͒

  They settled into the corner booth of a pizza joint ten minutes later. Nayoung ended up pressed between Jongup and Daehyun. She didn’t know how Kyungmi had planned it, or how she’d gotten it to work but Nayoung knew she was behind it from the knowing wink she sent her over the top of her menu.

  Nayoung wasn’t the type of girl who couldn’t think or function around a boy she liked. She actually couldn’t really stand it when girls couldn’t hold a conversation with a guy. Maybe it was because she’d grown up surrounded by them.

  “This looks good, doesn’t it Nayoung?” Daehyun asked, turning the menu so she could see what he was pointing too.

  She made a face. “You know I hate pineapple on pizza.”

  “Which I still can’t understand. It’s like combining two of the best things ever.” He tried explaining to her.

  “Whatever you say, I still won’t change my mind about it. I’ll stick to my usual thank you very much.” She took a sip of her water.

  “What, plain cheese?”

  “For your information, mister, it’s triple cheese.”

  “That’s boring.”

  “I am immune to that reason.” She was too. Growing up she had never been able to get why people piled their pizzas with so many extra things. She had always preferred plain cheese. And she had been constantly ribbed about it by her three older siblings.

  Daehyun laughed and Nayoung felt butterflies start acting up in her stomach. She caught Kyungmi’s smirk and glared at her.

  “Nayoung.” Jongup bumped his shoulder against hers. He’d thrown on a white tank top that showed off his muscular shoulders. He’d probably chosen it because of that.

  “Hmm?” She didn’t look up from the menu.

  “Nayounggie.” He was whining now.

  “What?” She looked at him and found that he was pouting. She could never resist his puppy face. And he knew it.

  “Play tick tack toe with me.” He smiled at her, holding up a crayon and trying to charm her, even though he knew he didn’t have to.

  She played along. “Who are you? The Maknae?”

  A very insulted “Hey!” came from the other side of the table, along with two noises of indignation from the disgruntled hyungs who were already four games in.

  “Please Nayoung?”

  “Only because you begged me.” She grabbed one of the napkins and began drawing out the spaces for her word.

  “Who said you could start?”

  “I’m the girl, I always get to start.” Jongup scoffed at her then realized what color crayon she’d grabbed.

  “Hey, Nayoung, you know I always use green!”

  The arrival of their waiter kept her from replying.
 

 

 

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on cars and fixing them. This chapter was mainly.to introduce everyone, it will get more interesting soon. At least I hope so.