Chapter 4

My Light in the Forest

SNAP.

                "Jonghyun," Key whined "is it really so hard to walk around silently?"

                "Yah! You grew up in the forest so you know how to walk quietly! There aren't sticks on the ground where I come from!" Jonghyun retorted.

                "That makes sense." Minho said as Key rolled his eyes.

                "Well, let's go back." Key sighed. "We can practice more later. Taemin and Jinki said they'd make dinner for us tonight...hmm, maybe we should stay out longer." he laughed.

                Despite Key’s last statement, the three boys headed quietly back to the village. They were tired from attempting to train Jonghyun , and from staying up so late the night before. The previous evening had been spent familiarizing Jonghyun with the land of Alvarie. On the map, they showed him where to walk and where not to walk, the line separating the light side from the dark. They told him of previous plans to infiltrate the dark side and of past attempts to capture the only living descendent of the evil advisor- his great-grandson Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun, being the only descendent of the advisor, was also the only one who knew how to lift the curse that forbade any elf to leave Alvarie. Because of this, he was guarded by members of the dark side at all times. Though there had been many attempts by the light side to abduct Kyuhyun and discover how to lift the curse, none had been successful. Recently, the boys had come up with a new plan and Jonghyun had stumbled across Alvarie at the perfect moment to help them carry it out.

                “So exactly how is this thing going to work again?” Jonghyun asked as Key opened the door to the cottage. Key’s eyes widened in disbelief and Minho shoved Jonghyun into the house.

                “You idiot!” Key yelled once the door was shut. “Why do you think we have to cover the windows and hide our plans? Obviously there are spies from the dark side all around!”

                “Sorry,” Jonghyun grinned sheepishly, “I guess I forgot.”

                “You forgot? Aish, this isn’t some game you know! You can leave here anytime you want but we can’t. This is our home. The home that we are bound to until someone breaks the curse. If you’re not serious about helping us, then just leave!” Key yelled angrily before walking into his room and slamming the door. The other three boys turned towards Jonghyun.

               “Ah, please don’t go.” Minho said. “While it is important to keep quiet about our plans, it’s natural for you to forget. Please be more careful and ignore what he said. We really need your help.”

                “No, he’s right.” Jonghyun said. “Aish, how can I be so selfish?” he thought. “They’re the ones who have trusted me with their lives. How can I let them down?”

                “So you will stay then?” Taemin asked hopefully.

                “Of course!” Jonghyun said with a smile. “I think I should go apologize to Key-“

                “Don’t!” the others interrupted.

                “What? Why?”

                “If you disturb Key while he’s angry, he’ll be angry for even longer!” Jinki warned.

                “Yes,” added Minho, “it’s much better to leave him alone until he gets over it.”

                “All right.” Jonghyun agreed.  He decided that he somehow still needed to apologize though.  So when the other three weren’t looking, he wrote a quick note and slipped it under Key’s door before joining the others for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What was that noise?”  Key wondered. He looked over at the door and saw a piece of paper that he didn’t remember seeing before. Curiously, he walked over, picked it up, and began to read:

                I’m sorry for what I did earlier. You were right. I was acting like this is a game, and I’m sorry. Please let me stay and help. I promise I’ll be serious. Please don’t be mad at me anymore. I couldn’t pick you any flowers so I drew you some pretty ones. Well maybe they aren’t pretty, but it’s the thought that counts, right?

                                                                                                 

               

                “Flowers?” Key scoffed? “Am I a girl now?” Even though Key scoffed at the letter, he re-read it a few times and smiled. He set the letter on his bed and walked out of his room to join the others.

                “Hyung!” Taemin said in surprise. “You were only in your room for a few minutes! Aren’t you still angry?”

                “Not really. I saw some ugly flowers that, oddly enough, made me not quite so angry.” The other three elves looked confused and Jonghyun flashed a childish grin at Key.

                “Come and eat with us!” Jonghyun invited.

                “It’s my house you don’t have to invite me!”  The other boys laughed and the five began to enjoy a surprisingly delicious meal. About halfway through dinner, they were disturbed by a loud knock at the door. Key walked over and opened the door.

                “HE’S COMING THIS WAY!” A young man shouted as soon as the door opened.

                “What? Who?”

                “Kyuhyun!” The boys all froze at the mention of that name.

                “Where? When?” Key asked frantically.

                “He’s travelling and has to cross over into the light side because of a broken bridge,” the boy explained without taking a breath. “He’ll be about a mile up the creek in an hour!”

                “You know the plan, right? Inform the others! Hurry!” Key ordered.

                “Yes!” the boy said as he ran from the house to fulfill his duties.

                “What does this mean?” Jonghyun asked nervously.

                “It means that today was all the training you’ll have before you go up against the dark side.” Key said. “Were you lying when you promised to be serious?”

                “I don’t give flowers to just anybody.” Jonghyun said with a grin. Key smirked and tossed him a small sword.

                “Let’s go.”

 

--------------------------------------------

A/N I just want to thank all my subscribers and silent readers so far! I'm having a lot of fun writing this story, and I hope you enjoy reading it too! ^^