Chapter 2

My Light in the Forest

                Jonghyun’s eyes widened as he stared at the sharp arrow pointed straight at him.

                “Dark side? Like with Darth Vader? No! I swear! I’m a Jedi! Well, I mean…I’m not a Jedi, but if I had the choice, I would be…so please don’t kill me!” he pleaded.

                “Jedi? Darth Who? What are you talking about?” The strange boy asked, crinkling his nose. “Are you trying to convince me that you’re crazy?”

                “YOU’VE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS?” Jonghyun asked incredulously.  “Do you live in a cave or something?” After realizing what he had said, he burst into a fit of laughter seemingly oblivious to the dangerous weapon aimed directly at his heart. The other boy’s jaw dropped in shock.

                “Yah! What’s so funny?” he asked, obviously losing what little patience he had. “You make no sense! I’ve never seen anyone act like you before! I know the dark ones are crazy, but…” the boy’s voiced trailed off as the look of anger on his face was replaced with one of curiosity. Jonghyun watched as the boy slowly put down his bow and walked towards him. The cat-like boy forcefully grabbed his chin and turned it until their faces were mere inches apart.  The boy’s eyes searched his face and Jonghyun realized just how beautiful this person was-he had never seen such a beautiful boy before. As he admired his beauty, the strange boy slowly dragged his fingers across Jonghyun’s cheeks and pushed a clump of dark hair behind his ear.

                “Omo!” the boy exclaimed as a look of amazement spread across his face.

                “What?” Jonghyun asked, wondering what could have possible shocked him so much.

                “Y-you’re ears…they’re not pointy.”

                “Of course not! Why would they be?”

                “You’re human?” the boy-whom Jonghyun was beginning to believe was crazy-asked.

                “Of course I am! Do I look like an alien?”

                “But…but how did you find this place?” he asked, ignoring his question. “Nevermind-come tell me all about the outside world!” the boy said as he grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and attempted to  drag him away.  Jonghyun yanked his hand away from the boy and jumped back.

                “First you ask if I’m human, and now you want to know about ‘the outside world’. Why do you talk like you’re not a person? “

                “Well, you’re half-correct.” The strange boy said. “Actually, I am half-human…but I’m also half elf.” He said as he pulled long strands of dark brown hair back from his face to reveal a pair of pointy ears. He laughed as Jonghyun’s jaw just about hit the forest floor.

                “Hey, what’s your name?”

                “J-Jonghyun.” He stammered, still trying to believe what he was seeing.

                “Welcome to Alvarie, Jonghyun. My name is Key.”