Transfer Student, Yong Junhyung

All-Stars

Dongwoon watches the scene unfolding before him awkwardly. The new student rises from the rows of seats outside the main office, which are mainly for the students being sent up to see the principal. The new student has tame, dyed black hair that differs vastly from Dongwoon's own blonde and Hyunseung's unique orange. He lugs a suitcase so large that it looks even heavier than the transfer student himself. Dongwoon momentarily pauses as he stares at the transfer student and his suitcase. The new senior has a scrawny physique and he looks like if Kikwang bumped into him, he could possibly fly from one end of the hallway to the other.

Dongwoon watches the scene unfolding before him awkwardly. The new student rises from the rows of seats outside the main office, which are mainly for the students being sent up to see the principal. The new student has tame, dyed black hair that differs vastly from Dongwoon's own blonde and Hyunseung's unique orange. He lugs a suitcase so large that it looks even heavier than the transfer student himself. Dongwoon momentarily pauses as he stares at the transfer student and his suitcase. The new senior has a scrawny physique and he looks like if Kikwang bumped into him, he could possibly fly from one end of the hallway to the other.

Dongwoon makes a mental note to make sure that he doesn't let Kikwang get too close to the new senior, if he can help it. The new senior looks at Hyunseung and for a fraction of a second Dongwoon thinks the straight face on the new senior falters. The tall basketball player doesn't know how to describe the look that disappears in a flash, but it is a familiar look.

"Okay, bye Indian Civilisation, as you can see, I'm already here and not staking out the Español classroom," the new senior looks surprised to notice Dongwoon standing behind his massive Indian Civilisation structure, so Dongwoon can only awkwardly bow as much as he can with the damned thing. He jerks the Indian Civilisation at Hyunseung as a substitute for a wave and marches off to his Honours English class, hoping that Jessica-saem will just send him to detention and not ask the coach to put him on the bench again.

---

"It's been a long time," Junhyung says as softly as he can as he stares at Hyunseung, who is pointedly looking anywhere else but at Junhyung. If awkwardness could take on a tangible form, Junhyung doesn't think there would be enough space for him to remain in the corridor.

"What class are you having now?" Hyunseung asks, looking around the corridor as if he is the new student. Junhyung smiles, because Hyunseung has always been off tangent, always been the one changing subjects. Junhyung has missed these disjointed conversations.

"I have AP Chemistry now," Junhyung offers and adjusts his grip on his suitcase. He vaguely remembers the lady in the office telling him that one of the dormitory managers will pick it up from him during 3rd period, so he still has to drag it around with him till then.

"Most of the classrooms on the 2nd level are science labs. Dongwoon, the Indian Civilisation, has English on that level though. So I guess there are some English classes on that level too," Hyunseung states as he turns on his heel and walks off in the direction that he came from. Junhyung follows behind, not too close, not right next to Hyunseung, but just a step or two behind Hyunseung. The both of them don't speak as Hyunseung leads them toward the lab where AP Chemistry is being held, but the silence isn't an uncomfortable one.

Junhyung notices that the classes are labelled in the order of level number and then the unit number of the room. There are two staircases on either end of the corridors and the two of them take the one nearer to the main office, whereas Dongwoon, Junhyung assumes that was the blonde student's name, had taken the one on the opposite end. When they reach the second floor of the main school building, they only pass two classrooms before Hyunseung stops outside one of the doors. Without knocking, the orange haired teenager pushes the door open a crack and pokes his head in.

"Jiyeon-saem, can I come back into class?" Hyunseung interrupts whatever Jiyeon was explaining to the class with his customary blank expression. She raises her eyebrow at him.

"No, you can't. Have you even gone to pick the poor boy from the main office yet?" Hyunseung shrugs, but all Jiyeon and the rest of the class can see is just the door being nudged open a little more. Hyunseung pulls his head out of the class.

"I wonder why she won't let me in," Hyunseung maintains a straight face as he muses aloud. Junhyung doesn't know whether he wants to laugh or if he would rather just repeatedly bang his head against the row of lockers outside of the science lab.

"Maybe you should tell her that I'm here," Junhyung suggests, because he doesn't remember Hyunseung ever thinking the way normal people do. Hyunseung doesn't poke his head back into the crack of the door and just steps away from it. Junhyung freezes for a second, taking a short sharp breath. He briefly has to remind himself that the Hyunseung standing before him is no longer the Hyunseung he used to know. This Hyunseung isn't about to listen to everything he says, not anymore anyway.

"Hello, I'm the new transfer student, Yong Junhyung," he introduces himself after he enters the classroom with his backpack and suitcase. The AP Chemistry teacher, Jiyeon-saem, smiles warmly at Junhyung and ushers him into the class.

"Welcome to the academy and my AP Chemistry class, Junhyung," Jiyeon-saem says kindly. The brunet feels about 20 pairs of eyes fixed on him and he feels his face heat up. Junhyung has never been a particularly social person; people avoid him because of the way he looks when he isn't smiling so he doesn't have a lot of friends or people-experience. Junhyung looks to the door; Hyunseung is leaning on the doorframe casually, appearing as though he is just waiting for Jiyeon-saem to call him in as well.

"You can sit in any of the free seats," Jiyeon-saem adds when Junhyung remains frozen at the front of the class.

"Can I come back to class?" Hyunseung calls out again from his spot at the door and Junhyung hopes – wishes – that somehow when Hyunseung walks past he'll miraculously smile and gesture for Junhyung to sit with him. Not surprisingly, when Jiyeon-saem grudgingly allows him back to class, Hyunseung heads straight for his own seat next to a pretty brunet boy with cute smiling eyes.

Junhyung feels his heart sink in his chest and he has to repeat to himself that this Hyunseung before him now is no longer the same Hyunseung he knew from years before. He had expected all this before he had transferred, but nothing prepares him for the reality of it all. Junhyung grabs his suitcase and hauls it to the empty seat behind Hyunseung. He doesn't know if the tennis player will guide him around for the rest of his classes. He isn't even able to tell if this behaviour is normal for this new Hyunseung or whether he is being hostile.

In the 10 minutes left of the 50-minute period for AP Chemistry, nothing Jiyeon-saem teaches goes into Junhyung's head. He's too busy watching Hyunseung chatting in hushed tones to the pretty brunet, who replies back more often than not with a gorgeous crescent-eyed smile. Junhyung recognises that churning in his stomach that isn't because he skipped breakfast. He is so busy staring that a sudden blaring alarm sends his pencil case and notebooks skidding off the table because Junhyung had literally jumped and knocked them off.

Jiyeon-saem leaves after scribbling homework on the whiteboard and everyone begins filing out of class, even though there are a few minutes left of the period. Hyunseung packs his things slowly and the pretty brunet turns around to help Junhyung pick his things off of the floor.

"Hi, Junhyung-sshi! I'm Lee Kikwang," a second, more focused look of the brunet shows Junhyung that while the other male seems petite, he is actually muscular and broadly built. His pretty smile and the fierce build of his body turn out to be an attractive combination in a strange way. Junhyung glumly admits that Lee Kikwang may be a much better guy for Hyunseung than Junhyung is. Kikwang helps Junhyung to gather all of his stationary and puts it all back into his pencil case.

"Hi Kikwang-sshi," Junhyung forces the reluctance out of his voice because Kikwang has been nothing short of absolutely nice so far and it is not his fault that he is so oddly attractive. Hyunseung is standing behind Kikwang, his arms across his chest, silent. Kikwang aims a saccharinely sweet smile at Junhyung and he doesn't quite know how to react. He makes an attempt at a smile back, but he thinks he just grimaces inelegantly because Kikwang is laughing and hitting Hyunseung lightly on the arms because "Junhyung-sshi is just so adorable".

"No hablo Coreano. I don't speak Korean now," Hyunseung replies flatly, disinterested in Kikwang's babble about how "adorable" Junhyung is. Kikwang frowns at Hyunseung, displeased, as though Hyunseung had made an offensive comment about his mother.

"Hyung! I never took Spanish!" Kikwang pouts, the perfect and actual image of adorable (because Junhyung doesn't think a world in where he can be adorable actually exists).

"Eso está bien, yo hablo español. That's okay, I speak Spanish so I can translate for you. It'll be like practice before my next period," Junhyung offers to Kikwang as he slings on his backpack, wishing 3rd period would be here already so that he wouldn't have to tow his massive suitcase around.

He looks up in time to spot the annoyance that flits through Hyunseung's eyes.

---

By the end of 4th period Debate, even though Junhyung is relieved to finally be rid of his suitcase, that small happy feeling is crushed by the awful realisation that Heechul-hyung is not in fact the nicest hyung Junhyung has ever had and ever will have. He thinks what Hyunseung must be feeling for him now goes beyond dislike.

From: Fat Tongue

Hyung. Did you make my schedule exactly like Hyunseung's? D:

From: Space Big Star Heenim
What is Hyunseung's schedule like? ^^

From: Fat Tongue

... real funny, hyung :/

From: Space Big Heenim

How was Debate?

From: Fat Tongue
HYUNG! D<

---

For some reason, despite his disinclination to showing Junhyung around, Hyunseung doesn't abandon Junhyung even during their lunch period. Hyunseung allows Junhyung to tag along to the cafeteria where he sits down at a table with two faces now familiar to Junhyung and one unfamiliar one.

"Hi," Junhyung greets the others at the table hesitantly. Kikwang has on his brain-haemorrhaging smile – like an accessory, Junhyung notes. Doojoon, the soccer player Junhyung had met during Spanish – "no habla español, seonsaengnim," Junhyung remembers Doojoon saying in a tearfully desperate tone when the teacher handed out a pop quiz. Hyunseung sits down on Doojoon's empty side, because the unfamiliar face is on Doojoon's other side and Kikwang sits on the other side of that unfamiliar face as well. It is a circular table, so technically Junhyung ends up in between Hyunseung and Kikwang, but there is an empty space next to Junhyung enough to fit another student. Junhyung ends up sitting closer to Kikwang, because the petite brunet had tugged him closer to introduce the unfamiliar face.

"Junhyung-sshi, this is Yoseob. He's dating Doojoon-hyung," Kikwang says enthusiastically as the other petite brunet waves at Junhyung with matching enthusiasm. Junhyung gives his grimace-smile at which Kikwang starts cooing over him like a mother might to her baby. Junhyung feels like he is about to just drop dead and die because Hyunseung is staring at him so hard and now he is the one avoiding the tennis player's eyes. Junhyung has concluded from their interactions so far that Hyunseung and Kikwang are probably dating, which explains why Hyunseung keeps staring at him with those eyes whenever Kikwang seems the least bit interested in Junhyung.

When Hyunseung stands up wordlessly and heads to the cafeteria line, Junhyung automatically moves to follow him but stops himself in time because Hyunseung is probably trying to avoid him.

"Yah, Kikwang-ah, how is Dongwoon going to feel when he finds out that you're all over the new transfer student?" Yoseob, the lighter brunet because his hair is a shade of light brown while Kikwang's is closer to almost black, teases as he pokes Kikwang in the side.

"Dongwoon?" Junhyung asks, confused. The name rings a few bells in Junhyung's head, but he can't quite remember where he heard it before. A chapter from his History class about the Indian Civilisation comes to his mind, but he still draws a blank. Wasn't Kikwang dating Hyunseung, which was why Hyunseung was staring at him with that look?

"Dongwoon is a sophomore that Kikwang is dating," Yoseob chirps helpfully with a sly smile in place as he looks at Kikwang who promptly turns bright red. Junhyung is vaguely reminded of Snow White. Doojoon starts choking on his food and Yoseob bursts out in full out laughter while Kikwang is panicking and thumping Doojoon on the back from around Yoseob. It unsettles Junhyung how fast these people have adapted to having Junhyung around, even if it may only be temporarily. He's not used to being treated nicely.

"Why was Hyunseung staring at me though? I thought it was because he was dating Kikwang," Junhyung asks again when Doojoon has safely dislodged the piece of meat from his windpipe and Yoseob is no longer in hysterics. The question causes Yoseob to begin snorting again and Kikwang sends him a mutation of the offended frown and pout he gave Hyunseung after AP Chemistry.

"I think he was probably staring at you because he was comparing you to Dongwoon and wondering if you were Kikwang's type," Doojoon volunteers.

Yoseob's snorting escalates into another set of full on hysterics just as Hyunseung returns to the table with a tray of food and a bemused expression. Junhyung feels a little less perplexed that he isn't the only one who doesn't understand the hilarity of the situation.


A/N: Anyone who actually speaks Spanish, feel free to correct me. I used Google Translate for this, unfortunately. I hope everyone reading will comment, even if it's just a short one! It really helps when people comment because then I don't feel like I'm writing this for nothing, so please help me by commenting if you can!

Thank you to skywriter for commenting! I didn't manage to fit in much of Yoseob in here, but I hope the amounts of Junhyung make up for that! Enjoy this update! :D

Happy Birthday, Jang Hyunseung!

Since it's already 3rd September in Korea and where I am ^^

EDIT: The English words next to what Hyunseung said in Spanish is actually an English translation, he doesn't repeat himself in Korean. Junhyung speaks in Korean after the first bit of Spanish though! Just to clear it up just in case anyone misunderstands!