01. The Fallen King

Shut Down

Day 1,825:

2014-11-30

SeHun didn’t dare attend the funeral. No, after what he did, he did not deserve to be there. Instead, SeHun cowered behind the billowing gray trees with branches hung so low that it painted an image of it cradling the dead. He poked his head out and his eyes quickly scanned the area. SeHun’s breath was suddenly cut short when his eyes landed on the girl in the coffin. Choking back his tears, SeHun continued to stare. She would finally be at peace.

However, the choking feeling resurfaced when SeHun realized that only one other person attended the burial. He was extremely curious as to who the mysterious figure was. Questions buzzed in his head: Who was he? What was his connection to her? Did he ever hurt her?

SeHun craned his neck further to get a better look. The male must have heard the rustling between the trees because suddenly SeHun found himself staring into a pair of empty eyes. He froze.

His eyes held no warmth, an empty black hole. A tiny flame was quickly ignited in the male’s eyes. But the fire held such an intense killing intent that SeHun had to tear his gaze away. But then his head started pounding and a booming angry voice chanted, “I will kill you!” over and over again.

SeHun woke up screaming; his body, drenched in sweat. The nightmare haunted him night after night, as if it was a broken record. SeHun ruffled his hair and let out a cry of frustration, but he could not diddle daddle in bed any longer. Seoul Arts High waited for no one.

Walking to school, SeHun kept his head down and low, no higher than forty five degrees.

“Help,” a barely audible voice cried out.

SeHun stopped, clenched his fist, and grinded his teeth. He wanted to help, oh he did, but he couldn’t, no, wouldn’t. Without a second glance, he shoved the earphones into his ears and briskly walked away.

Ignore the cries and you’ll be fine, SeHun chanted over and over again in his head. The voice was soon muffled by the blaring music.

SeHun did not even get both feet through the gates when Kai and a bunch of other Pawns surrounded him. “I see you came to school unharmed,” Kai tsk’ed as he brushed away a piece of lint on SeHun’s collar.

SeHun refused to respond. Kai was not pleased. Grabbing SeHun by the collar, Kai shoved him to the wall. A punch landed a few millimeters away from SeHun’s face, but a gush of minty freshness mixed with a lingering cigarette scent smacked SeHun right in the face. He must have taken up smoking again when the stress of being an Untouchable piled up.

“Stop your childish acts. His majesty requests our audience,” a sarcastic voice called from the distance.

“You always ruin my fun!” Kai pouted to the older and technically more powerful male.

Kai dismissed SeHun with a wave of his hand. SeHun bowed his head respectfully but his eyes were glaring dangerously at the floor.

Students my , we’re more like slaves, SeHun bitterly spat in his head.