...

Lost & Found

As cold as she is and as starving as she can feel, she clutches on the peachy soft scarf that is already crumpling in her fragile shaky fingers. Her tummy is making soft noises, getting louder and angrier by the second. With her trembling palm, she fishes inside her thin jacket pockets, one after another only to find nothing but a piece of old torn paper that she cut out from last week newspaper she found lying on bench one day. She is trying to find a job but as far as she walks, the heaven of luck has not yet opened up for her to devour.

She sighs from the series of unfortunate events she has been through. A year ago her mother passed away, leaving her with her father who ended up marrying a lady just ten years older than her a few months after. Add a couple of months later, her father left home without a word; without a second thought, having her no choice but to put up with her step mother’s anger issue. A spilled milk incident later, she was kicked out of her own house by the ‘witch’ as what she would call her and last week, she ended up on the street; walking around and sleeping in the sauna until she used up all of her savings. And now, she cannot even afford a glass of cold water from anywhere. She needs a job and she is starving.

Little did she knows, while she was walking around in the cold weather, she found herself a scarf that was dangling on the lower branch of one of the big trees in the park. The material seemed soft and luxurious enough for her to even imagine as she has never put on something as expensive looking on her body. She took the scarf and carefully examined the fabric until she got to the hem of it. K J was embroidered on it with red thread. She was looking around, trying to find the owner of the peachy scarf, but there was nobody around walking at the park in such cold weather. The smile on her face was visible as she beamed brightly, thinking that God must have heard her prayers and sent something to warm her up. Although it was just a scarf, it was enough for her to feel at least a little warmer than before.

She cannot walk any longer. Her feet are giving up on her. Thus, she settles down on the nearest bench her feet can take her. Folding her legs up her chest, she sits in an upright fetal position, burying her frozen face in her lap. She is exhausted from all of the pain she is going through. She does not know where her fate is going to take her.

Just as her eyelids are slowly closing; drowning in her own thoughts, she hears somebody calling from afar and it is getting louder by the time. When she feels a strong hand upon her shoulder, she jerks back, her eyes wild in search for the owner of the hand.

“Hey... Where did you get that scarf from?” The man asks, but all she could register from the young man are his soft and tender voice, small yet strong body, and a pair of brown orbs that just daggers right though her heart. “Are you in there?” He tries again, this time shaking her shoulder a little.

“Wha-… Yes! I’m here- who are you?” She scoots sideways, getting closer to the end of the bench and then ‘thud’! She is on the floor, rubbing her backside. “Ouch!” She frowns, looking away from the embarrassment she just caused herself.

“Oh my! Are you alright miss?” It takes him one big step to reach her and another move to swiftly get her on her feet again. He is trying hard to stifle his laugh, but he cannot help it as a wave of cackle escapes from his tight clamped lips though he quickly places his palm over his lips just to not hurt her feelings.

Unknowingly, her lower lip juts out as crimson color creeping up her face. The young man is so charming; if not handsome to her eyes that she lose control of her thoughts and her clumsy traits shows out a little too proudly.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude.” He smiles, offering his hand for a shake. “My name is Kwon Jiyong.”

And her hand quickly searches for the embroidery, double checking the initials stated on the hem of the scarf. She looks back at the man when she is sure that KJ stands for Kwon Jiyong. Though Jiyong did asked her earlier where did she found the scarf. She is just not ready yet to give the precious scarf away. She is never going to be ready to let it go. It warms her through the cold night and she does not want to give it back.

                “Th- the scarf… is yours?” Her first sentence comes out shakier that she can imagine. She is gripping so tightly on the scarf that Jiyong thinks she is going to rip it in her palm.

“I think so. I think I saw my initials on it.” He is still beaming at her. How he cannot hide the giddiness in his voice. He is hoping that the girl in front of him would just think that it is from the cold and not from someone being over excited.

“But I found it at the park. Nobody wanted it.” She is stalling. She really wants to keep the scarf.

“I know. I lost it at the park.” His reply is short. He is not going to take the scarf back from her. He did lose the scarf, but he found something else. Something that is rather more precious than the silly scarf.

Frowning, she averts her eyes to her worn out shoes. Her vision is getting blurry as a layer of glass forms in her eyes. She has nowhere else to go and it is too cold for her. If he takes the scarf back, she cannot imagine tomorrow for sure. But the scarf is not hers to keep and she knows that very well. Her mother thought her that. So she unbind the scarf from her neck and weakly, pull it off of her, exposing her pale neck. Seeing her action, Jiyong stops her by grabbing on her wrists, halting her immediately.

“I didn’t say that I wanted it back, did I?” He can obviously see the lights are coming back in her eyes when he says that.

“But you were asking about it.” She locks her eyes with him, once again she lost for words. And when he smiles, her body trembles and she is sure it is not from the cold.

“Yes… But I was just making sure if the scarf is mine. I’m just glad that you found it.” He pulls the hem of the scarf and wraps it around her neck once again, hugging her neck with warmth she misses so much. She knows he was hinting something in his voice when he said those words, but a good looking guy in expensive clothes could not possibly want a girl like her. She does not even know how she smells like as of now. After all, the last time she took a shower was a couple days ago at the sauna before she cannot afford it anymore. “Do you have anywhere to go?”

She looks up at him again, ling on her lower lip. She does not have anywhere to go. She just walks around, trying to find a job if anyone would accept a homeless girl like her. She shakes her head.

“I figured that.” He takes a glimpse of her clothes. He knows something is wrong with this girl. But she knows nothing about him. She knows nothing that he had been searching for her since God knows how long. The last time he saw her was when they were five and how he cursed himself every day for not being brave enough to talk to her let alone share his toys with her. “You look a lot like your mother.”

Eyes widens in shock, she steps back, trying to digest the information. He knows her mother, he must have known about her as well. And that when she registers the fact that the boy looks so familiar that she almost pulls her hair out from trying to remember where she had seen him before.

Kwon… Kwon… Kwon... The Kwon family. Mother worked for them before she passed away.

“You followed your mother to England when you were five…” That blurts out of . She did not mean to say that but she did and now she could not say anything anymore. Jiyong just nod his head, smiling at the fact that the girl does remember him.

“Come with me. Mother and father would be delighted to see you. We were all in state of shock when your mother passed away.”

On the ride back to the Kwon’s house, the memories of her in that mansion are coming back to her, showering her with all the good times she had growing up in that house. The Kwons does not have a daughter and so they treated her like one. Until her mother was too sick to work and she stopped working as their maid and the Kwons moved away and she was left with nothing but mere faded memories of little Kwon Jiyong running around the house and playing alone and when she tried to approach him, he would run away, shutting her out.

Truth be told, the heaven of luck has not opened up for her yet because it is giving Kwon Jiyong a chance to find something that he once lost, and he cannot thank God enough for giving him another chance.